PDA

View Full Version : G73jw-A1

TooTrini
12-27-2011, 09:46 PM
Hi, could someone post a link that is a guide to reformatting a g series notebook? More specific if there is any information regarding essentials to the G73jw-a1 notebook that I should look into, it would be helpful as well.
Any links regarding this information is much appreciated.

BrodyBoy
12-27-2011, 10:24 PM
I'll assume, by "reformatting," you mean a fresh Windows installation. Basically, you will install WIndows, and the set of essential drivers for your particular model. These will likely include:

Intel 6 Series Chipset Driver
Intel RST
Asus ATK package
Graphics driver (check your hardware manufacturer)
Audio driver (check your hardware manufacturer)
USB 3.0 driver
Touchpad driver (check your hardware manufacturer)
Ethernet driver (check your hardware manufacturer)
WLAN driver (check your hardware manufacturer)
Bluetooth driver (if applicable & needed; check your hardware manufacturer)
MultiCard Reader driver (check your hardware manufacturer)

Is this what you were asking?

TooTrini
12-27-2011, 10:41 PM
Yes, that helps alot. I have tried doing this already, but I always end up with tons of problems after (tried about 3 times) I just wanted to know the essentials that are needed to run the componants properly. I didn't want a bunch of software for the programs that I didn't need.
What I am about to do is recover the computer using the bootable partition on the hard drive that comes from the company, and than I only wanted to install what drivers are needed to run, and i guess your list about sums it up.
Unless there was anything else I needed to look into?

BrodyBoy
12-27-2011, 10:47 PM
No....if you use the recovery partition, you just go back to the original bloated installation. ALL the ASUS junk is included in that installation, as are all the original drivers, which are most likely quite outdated by now.

If you want a clean installation, you have to do it yourself. Install a clean copy of Windows, and then the latest versions of the essential drivers. This way, none of that extra junk ever gets installed to begin with. If you want to try this, and you're having a lot of trouble with it, send me a PM and we'll try to get the process right so you have a stable configuration when you're done.

dstrakele
12-27-2011, 11:26 PM
Yes, that helps alot. I have tried doing this already, but I always end up with tons of problems after (tried about 3 times) I just wanted to know the essentials that are needed to run the componants properly. I didn't want a bunch of software for the programs that I didn't need.
What I am about to do is recover the computer using the bootable partition on the hard drive that comes from the company, and than I only wanted to install what drivers are needed to run, and i guess your list about sums it up.
Unless there was anything else I needed to look into?

Download the Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit ISO file (if that is what's currently installed on your laptop) from the link in the OP on JR's "Drivers, Apps, and How-to's" thread. Burn it to a DVD and you can then use it to perform a clean Windows 7 install. Also download the ABR utility and install it to a flash drive. Use it to back up your current Windows Activatiion info BEFORE the clean install, and then restore that Activation info to your clean Windows installation AFTER the install. You might also wish to copy the latest version of the Wireless Network Adapter driver on your laptop to the flash drive, so it is there to allow you to connect to the internet and download the other new drivers.

You'll still have the option to install any of the ASUS 'Bloatware' Applications from the ASUS web site. I actually like and use the ASUS Ai Charger app to allow the laptop battery to charge my smartphone even when the laptop is powered off.

PILGRIM
12-28-2011, 06:20 AM
...I actually like and use the ASUS Ai Charger app to allow the laptop battery to charge my smartphone even when the laptop is powered off.

I would like to have that, too.. It would be really useful.

Is the ASUS Ai Charger included in the Driver CD that came with the laptop?

EDIT: Is it the USB Charger Plus that's in the Driver CD?
(I didn't know it could charge a phone battery even when the laptop is powered off.)

BrodyBoy
12-28-2011, 08:16 AM
I would like to have that, too.. It would be really useful.

Is the ASUS Ai Charger included in the Driver CD that came with the laptop?

EDIT: Is it the USB Charger Plus that's in the Driver CD?
(I didn't know it could charge a phone battery even when the laptop is powered off.)
You can download it directly from the Asus G74 Product page. In the G74, that can also be enabled in the BIOS. (Under the Advanced tab....it's called USB Charge.)

PILGRIM
12-28-2011, 10:21 AM
Nice.. Thanks, dstrakele, for the tip.. and BrodyBoy, for pointing where to get it.