PDA

View Full Version : SSD Problem Asus rog g551jw

Fagenorn
06-06-2016, 03:13 PM
So usually when I go to bed I leave my laptop on for the night (I'll restart it like once every week) Anyway, when I woke up my laptop screen was in the BIOS menu.
I feared the worst, but when I restarted my PC, it booted normally, so I thought nothing of it. But the next day same story, when I woke up my PC was again in the BIOS menu, only this time it wasn't booting into windows. After lot's of debugging I finally concluded that it was an issue with the SSD, because it was not showing up in the boot menu, however, it was showing up in the sata configuration which I found strange and still have no
Explanation for.

I was able to boot from a live Ubuntu disk, but I sadly can't see my SSD in the listed drives. So I know it's almost impossible to retrieve data from a failed SSD, but I was just hoping that there was a way since my SSD is only 9 months old, and it is showing up in the Sata configuration. Foolishly, I didn't backup some important files that I had stored on my main disk, which I urgently need.

regards
fagenorn

JustinThyme
06-07-2016, 03:31 AM
Can you be a little more specific as to which SSD, OS, set up etc. Did you have it set for over provisioning and run the trim command at least weekly?

Fagenorn
06-07-2016, 08:56 PM
Can you be a little more specific as to which SSD, OS, set up etc. Did you have it set for over provisioning and run the trim command at least weekly?

The ssd is a kingsoft ssd smsm15s3128gd. I was running it on on windows 10 fine without any issues. I also recently tried placing the ssd in an old laptop I had lying around, and the laptop was also able to see the ssd in Bios (and also legacy boot menu) So i tried booting from it, but it gave an error saying: 'can't boot from disk, press a key to restart'