PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered 4GB more ram for the G74SX

Trijicon
12-28-2011, 06:36 AM
So I just ordered 4GB more ram for my G74SX A1 to bring it up to 16GB, it was originally 12GB in stock form. I went with Crucial memory as they had a scanner to look at the computer and suggest the memory that would be compatable.

Part Number: CT2215262
Module Size: 4GB
Package: 204-pin SODIMM
Feature: DDR3 PC3-10600
Specs: DDR3 PC3-10600 • CL=9 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1333 • 1.5V • 512Meg x 64 •

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=023E825DA5CA7304

Should just be plug and play right? It should just recognize the extra ram when I re-boot her up from what I have read.

From what I have read Crucial puts out good ram so I should have no issues with it not being compatible with what is currently in there... (Which I have no idea how to tell) ...

One question I do have is; What's the difference between the 1.5V and the 1.35V sticks? I went with the 1.5V as I read that is what is more standard but I was wondering if there is any 'big' difference between the two?

Thank you,

BrodyBoy
12-28-2011, 08:26 AM
When adding RAM, it's best to try and match all the specs as best you can to the existing memory. Ideally, the safest bet is to buy another module exactly like the ones already installed (same manufacturer & model), but matched specs is the next best thing,

Assuming the memory is compatible, it should be recognized immediately by the BIOS when you boot the first time.

shol
12-28-2011, 10:49 AM
Hi - I have 12 in mine that is coming, but what would be the benefit in having more ? I know it's cheap however I am assuming for gaming and for just about anything I assume 12 is fine since some people say anything more than 6 is a bit of overkill

Just trying to understand

When adding RAM, it's best to try and match all the specs as best you can to the existing memory. Ideally, the safest bet is to buy another module exactly like the ones already installed (same manufacturer & model), but matched specs is the next best thing,

Assuming the memory is compatible, it should be recognized immediately by the BIOS when you boot the first time.

BrodyBoy
12-28-2011, 10:56 AM
Hi - I have 12 in mine that is coming, but what would be the benefit in having more ? I know it's cheap however I am assuming for gaming and for just about anything I assume 12 is fine since some people say anything more than 6 is a bit of overkill

Just trying to understand
You're right....for the vast majority of us, it makes no difference......even 12Gb is overkill. On the other hand, as you noted, RAM is really cheap these days, so some owners like to max it out.

fostert
12-28-2011, 02:13 PM
One question I do have is; What's the difference between the 1.5V and the 1.35V sticks? I went with the 1.5V as I read that is what is more standard but I was wondering if there is any 'big' difference between the two?

Thank you,

Trijicon: your BIOS will automatically pick up the added RAM and tally the total in your system.
The voltage refers to the DRAM Voltage of the clock pulse needed to keep the sticks refreshed and active. There is no difference in performance of either 1.5 or 1.35 V, except that lower voltage RAM tends to overclock better, but thats something we don't need to worry about in the G74 (no overclocking allowed!). The big push nowadays among RAM manufacturers is to go "green", and try for the lowest power consumption possible in their hardware. Also, as CPU gates get smaller, less voltage is needed for subsystems like memory.

And yeah, RAM is silly cheap these days. You can pack 32GB into the G74 but thats overkill for most users: the only reason to do that is if you have software that actually uses >16GB, or you want to insulate the G74 from the future a bit (i.e. "future proofing", although what that term exactly means still evades me?);)

Trijicon
12-28-2011, 06:18 PM
Ahh cool thanks for the info!

I just ordered the one stick to fill the extra slot to max it to 16. I use Photoshop, dreamweaver and illustrator all at the same time while having multiple net pages open so I am thinking that having that extra RAM will help move things along at a nice pace. The extra probably won't be noticed while playing games but for doing actual 'work' it will probably have a little bit of an effect. Plus, that extra ram bay is just lonely so I just wanted to fill it up :D

WhirledNews
12-28-2011, 07:23 PM
Hey let me know if this works for you, I should have the same RAM that you have.

My laptop has 3 of these in it and I can't find a fourth one to buy anywhere:

ASint DDR3 4GB-1333
SSA302G08-GDJEC 1130

Thanks!

WhirledNews
12-28-2011, 07:32 PM
ASint doesn't even have it on thier DDR3 product page... for shame.

http://www.asinttech.com/eng/prod/index.php?LINK_S=18&URL=single

BrodyBoy
12-28-2011, 09:29 PM
Hey let me know if this works for you, I should have the same RAM that you have.

ASint DDR3 4GB-1333
SSA302G08-GDJEC 1130

Thanks!

You can't assume that the same models use the same RAM brand....Asus installs several brands interchangeably.

PS: Quite a few owners here have replaced their RAM and probably still have the OEM modules. If you really want to track down another Asint module to match the ones you have, create a thread and ask....maybe someone has one they are willing to sell.

Trijicon
12-28-2011, 09:38 PM

ASint DDR3 4GB-1333
SSA302G08-GDJEC 1130

Thanks!

WIll do, tracking shows the ram should be here tomorrow and once I get it installed and verify that it is recognized I will post up and let you know. I went to this site and ran the system scanner for verification and it shows that it should work fine so I am not anticipating any problems with it at all. You can run the scanner here: http://www.crucial.com/index.aspx and you should have the same results as I did pointing to the same ram, give it a shot and see what it says.

I'll let ya know tomorrow how it works out.

WhirledNews
12-29-2011, 01:54 AM
You can't assume that the same models use the same RAM brand....Asus installs several brands interchangeably.

PS: Quite a few owners here have replaced their RAM and probably still have the OEM modules. If you really want to track down another Asint module to match the ones you have, create a thread and ask....maybe someone has one they are willing to sell.

Well on the website he posted it says:
"Guaranteed-compatible with the ASUS G74SX (Quad Core)"

The picture of the 4GB, 204-pin SODIMM, DDR3 PC3-10600 memory module they have on there looks completely different from the memory modules that are in my G74SX. The one on the website has four black chips on it while the memory in my laptop has 8 on each one. Does that matter or is it just a design difference?

BrodyBoy
12-29-2011, 02:28 AM
The one on the website has four black chips on it while the memory in my laptop has 8 on each one. Does that matter or is it just a design difference?
It shouldn't, but it's nice to know that, if there IS any problem, they guarantee it.

PILGRIM
12-29-2011, 03:30 AM

ASint DDR3 4GB-1333
SSA302G08-GDJEC 1130

Thanks!

Another option is for you to match your 12 GB ASint RAM with a 4 GB Kingston DDR3-1333.

These are exactly the RAM combos I have in my laptop..

EDIT: I added the Kingston RAM because I also can't find ASint in my place.

WhirledNews
12-29-2011, 04:40 AM
PILGRIM, do you happen to know exactly what model of Kingston RAM you have?

PILGRIM
12-29-2011, 06:07 AM
PILGRIM, do you happen to know exactly what model of Kingston RAM you have?

It's a 4 GB Kingston, Max Bandwidth: PC3-10700 (667 Mhz), Voltage: 1.50 V

The Max Bandwidth and Voltage are exactly the same with the ASint's.

EDIT: Just physically checked it under the hood, just to be sure. :)
It's a Kingston KVR 1333D3S9/4G 1.5V

Trijicon
12-29-2011, 06:59 AM

The picture of the 4GB, 204-pin SODIMM, DDR3 PC3-10600 memory module they have on there looks completely different from the memory modules that are in my G74SX. The one on the website has four black chips on it while the memory in my laptop has 8 on each one. Does that matter or is it just a design difference?

I am pretty sure those pics are just for 'display purposes only' and are generic pics of ram... I'll let ya know tomorrow if there are 4 or 8 black chips on it when it arrives.

fostert
12-29-2011, 02:03 PM
Just my two cents...I wouldn't mix and match RAM. 90% probability it will work without issues, but in the off-chance it doesn't, chasing down the random blue screens, program lockups, and cold restarts is a hassle not worth it IMHO. RAM is so cheap that getting 4 of the same model 4GB sticks is not going to cost more than ~$80.

WhirledNews
12-29-2011, 04:37 PM
It's a 4 GB Kingston, Max Bandwidth: PC3-10700 (667 Mhz), Voltage: 1.50 V

The Max Bandwidth and Voltage are exactly the same with the ASint's.

EDIT: Just physically checked it under the hood, just to be sure. :)
It's a Kingston KVR 1333D3S9/4G 1.5V

Awesome, thanks!

WhirledNews
12-29-2011, 04:54 PM
Interestingly, my laptop memory modules say Elpida J2108BCSE on them which Elpida says are the 2G bit modules which shouldn't be correct because it is recognizing 12 G of memory right now with 3 sticks… WTF

Trijicon
12-29-2011, 06:22 PM
Interestingly, my laptop memory modules say Elpida J2108BCSE on them which Elpida says are the 2G bit modules which shouldn't be correct because it is recognizing 12 G of memory right now with 3 sticks… WTF

Download this app, it will tell you what you are running by reading the ram and showing you what's in your comp. It's showing all 3 of my sticks are Samsung modules.

http://www.cpuid.com/

BrodyBoy
12-29-2011, 08:00 PM
Just my two cents...I wouldn't mix and match RAM. 90% probability it will work without issues, but in the off-chance it doesn't, chasing down the random blue screens, program lockups, and cold restarts is a hassle not worth it IMHO. RAM is so cheap that getting 4 of the same model 4GB sticks is not going to cost more than ~$80.
Unfortunately, some of the brands that Asus installs aren't easy to find, so some users have to buy another brand to max out to 16Gb (unless they want to replace all the RAM). There's a small risk, as you say, but odds are that it'll work okay.

(I've had three different G74s, and they had three differnt brands of RAM. Luckily, should I decide to add 4Gb, the one that I have now happens to have Samsung RAM.)

Trijicon
12-29-2011, 10:47 PM
Just got the RAM and popped it in and it is working like a champ! :cool:

Now shows 16GB on the 'windows experiece index' and with CPU-Z as well... Word / excel docs open immediately and the splash screen for office 2010 bairly has a chance to even pop up now.

Very happy with the Crucial memory! :D

Just thought I would update and share my experience.

fostert
12-30-2011, 01:55 PM
Unfortunately, some of the brands that Asus installs aren't easy to find, so some users have to buy another brand to max out to 16Gb (unless they want to replace all the RAM). There's a small risk, as you say, but odds are that it'll work okay.

(I've had three different G74s, and they had three differnt brands of RAM. Luckily, should I decide to add 4Gb, the one that I have now happens to have Samsung RAM.)
Mine came with 2x4GB Samsung modules, exactly the model you have too (I saw them in one of your posted photos!). They seemed very stable and decent, though getting 2 more identical ones to go to 16GB wasn't easy...Oh well, I guess its cheap for ASUS.

fostert
12-30-2011, 01:59 PM
Just got the RAM and popped it in and it is working like a champ! :cool:

Now shows 16GB on the 'windows experiece index' and with CPU-Z as well... Word / excel docs open immediately and the splash screen for office 2010 bairly has a chance to even pop up now.

Very happy with the Crucial memory! :D

Just thought I would update and share my experience.
Good to hear you're happy; thats what matters. You must be running alot at once to see an immediate improvement in Office loading times...I didn't notice any immediately apparent differences when I went from 8 to 16, though I didn't expect any so I didn't look.

Trijicon
12-30-2011, 06:42 PM
Yeah I was running photoshop, illustrator, dreamwaever and had multi internet pages up while checking things out... The CPU meter also shows less % of ram being used by about 2-4% ... I am happy with no conflicts showing up with this memory and everything running stable. I'll keep buying Crucial memory, seems to be good stuff.

WhirledNews
12-30-2011, 09:44 PM
Hmmm, Now I can't decide between the Crucial or the Kingston!

Dang it guys!

BrodyBoy
12-30-2011, 09:57 PM
Hmmm, Now I can't decide between the Crucial or the Kingston!

Dang it guys!
LOL! Oh, decision, decisions....!

Trijicon
12-30-2011, 10:53 PM

Oh... I almost forgot... As far as how many 'black chips' it has on it, there are 8 small black chips on there so the picture was just for illustration purposes and was a generic pic of a stick.

As far as which one to go with that is a personal decision, I went with Crucial after doing that system scan they had on their website. I just felt comfortable with it as they said there would be no conflicts with the installed memory that I had in there and they were right.

WhirledNews
12-30-2011, 11:05 PM
Ok I am sold, just bought the Crucial!

Trijicon
12-30-2011, 11:19 PM

Cool, you should be happy with it... I know I am. Is this the stick you went with or did you go with the 1.35V ? http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=023E825DA5CA7304

PILGRIM
12-31-2011, 02:05 AM

Either way, both Crucial and Kingston have earned their good reputation, IMO.. :)

That's why I use Crucial for my SSD, and Kingston for my RAM..

"A happy customer is a returning customer."

fostert
12-31-2011, 02:39 PM
Either way, both Crucial and Kingston have earned their good reputation, IMO.. :)

That's why I use Crucial for my SSD, and Kingston for my RAM..

"A happy customer is a returning customer."

Crucials good...just remember to test the hell out of those new sticks once you get 'em with memtest86+, and even if you get a single error found, you should RMA the stick with the error.

WhirledNews
12-31-2011, 04:25 PM
Will do, I already have memtest 86+ burned on a disc, waiting to be used!

WhirledNews
12-31-2011, 04:28 PM
Cool, you should be happy with it... I know I am. Is this the stick you went with or did you go with the 1.35V ? http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=023E825DA5CA7304

That's the one I bought. I did the scan too, just to make sure and it recommended that one.

fostert
01-02-2012, 01:26 PM
Good choice. Theres little point to buying and installing 1.35V sticks since the BIOS in the g74 is unconfigurable and would run them at 1.5V anyways. Paying alot more for something this system can't use.

todlich
01-04-2012, 02:40 AM
Added Corsair CMS04GX3M1A1333C9 (4GB) to the 12GB ASint SSA302G08-GDJEC
already installed on the G74SZ. System addressed and recognized. Subsequent
BSODs Stop: 0x0000001E, Memtest86+ v4.20 cranked out>50 errors during
test 5 and 6 when all modules in. Each individual, and slots would test OK.
Cannot find ASint mem and will waste no more $ on other RAM.

WhirledNews
01-12-2012, 02:32 PM
Well crap. Got the Crucial CT2215262 in the mail the other day, installed and recoginized then ran memtest86+ and bam, error on test 2 after less than an hour. So I take out the new stick and run memtest for 9 hours and no more errors. Looks like I am in the same boat as you todlich, until I want to replace all of my RAMI will just be sticking with the 12GB ASint.

PILGRIM
01-12-2012, 04:05 PM
Well crap. Got the Crucial CT2215262 in the mail the other day, installed and recoginized then ran memtest86+ and bam, error on test 2 after less than an hour. So I take out the new stick and run memtest for 9 hours and no more errors. Looks like I am in the same boat as you todlich, until I want to replace all of my RAMI will just be sticking with the 12GB ASint.

Return the Crucial and try Kingston..

fostert
01-14-2012, 03:05 AM
Corsair RMAs RAM sticks all the time that fail memtest, even with just one error. I would think that Crucial would too, or they wouldn't even be competitive with corsair, especially with performance enthusiasts and OC bench-breakers. Seriously: RMA/return the Crucial...get a new stick, and try again. If it still produces errors then its not playing well with the other three in there already, and you'll need an identical module or a whole new set to go to 16GB.

Actually, just thought of this...before you return try testing the Crucial stick alone. Does it give you errors? If not then its definitely a compatibility issue, and Crucial may not accept an RMA based on that.