PDA

View Full Version : Hdmi?

City Builder
12-28-2011, 11:55 AM
Hi,

I really enjoy my G74Sx with the one exception of the lower screen resolution (1600x900), is it possible for me to hook up an HDMI cable between the laptop and my old desktop monitor and use the native resolution of my desktop monitor (1920x1200) or will I be limited to the 1600x900 that the laptop displays on it's own monitor.

Don't really want to waste money buying an HDMI cable if I can't use full resolution of my desktop monitor.

Thanks,

BrodyBoy
12-28-2011, 12:01 PM
You should be able to use 1920x1080.

City Builder
12-28-2011, 02:31 PM
Okay, my mistake, my desktop monitor is only dvi, it doesn't even have an HDMI input, so I guess it would only be the VGA connector that I can use from the laptop to the desktop monitor.

fostert
12-28-2011, 02:33 PM
Yep, I've got my G74 docked and hooked into a 1920x1200 monitor through the VGA DSUB out. Works smashing.
Do either of you know if one can run a second external monitor by using the HDMI out port too?

City Builder
12-28-2011, 02:43 PM
Fostert, do you get a noticeable decrease in fps when playing more intense games on the external monitor, being as it's a higher resolution?

fostert
12-28-2011, 03:34 PM
Sorry I don't game with this notebook. But from my understanding it makes sense that one would get lower frame rates on a higher resolution, since theres just that much more information for the GPU to process. Do you have your drivers 3D enabled by chance? I think I've read that this will also lower your frame rates even if you are playing a 2D game, though I am certainly not an expert on this.

_
12-28-2011, 03:42 PM
You can convert HDMI to DVI easily - you just need to buy an adapter or an HDMI to DVI cable. Try local tech stores, or ask on local forums if people have one spare. :)

The Nvidia drivers will output the display at 1920x1080p/1200p no problem; it's just like setting up a dual display on a normal PC :)

If you run the games through that instead of your HD+ display you will get a lower FPS because of the extra res it has to power. As ever it's about finding the right settings; perhaps lowering the detail a little or turning off things like SSAO if the game supports it.

BrodyBoy
12-28-2011, 06:27 PM
You can convert HDMI to DVI easily - you just need to buy an adapter or an HDMI to DVI cable.
It should be noted, however, that the G74 offers no other digital audio-out option. So you can use a DVI adapter to output video (to an external monitor or TV), but you'll have no parallel path for audio. (So I guess you could output a great-looking blu-ray to your nice big 3D TV, only to listen to it on the G74 speakers!)

Gary73
12-28-2011, 07:25 PM
It should be noted, however, that the G74 offers no other digital audio-out option. So you can use a DVI adapter to output video (to an external monitor or TV), but you'll have no parallel path for audio. (So I guess you could output a great-looking blu-ray to your nice big 3D TV, only to listen to it on the G74 speakers!)

Actually you can connect the audio from your G74 to a big LCD TV. I did it successfully last night. I connected a HDMI cable from my G74SX to port #4 on the back of my 48 inch Sony Bravia LCD TV. That gave me perfect video in 1920x1080p on the LCD. Then I connected a mini audio Y cord from the headphone jack on the G74 to the two L and R audio jacks on port #4 on the back of the LCD TV. And voila! I got perfect sound coming out of the TV speakers from the G74. The cable I used is a mini-port audio cable that splits into two cables, one with a red RCA connector and one with a white RCA connector. The cable is six feet long and costs $9.00 at Best Buy. Works like a charm!

dstrakele
12-28-2011, 08:27 PM
Yep, I've got my G74 docked and hooked into a 1920x1200 monitor through the VGA DSUB out. Works smashing.
Do either of you know if one can run a second external monitor by using the HDMI out port too?

When I was experimenting with connecting my LCD TV to the G74SX-A1 using HDMI or VGA, Screen Resolution would show 2 external monitors, but one HAD to be disabled. So if I had to guess, I'd say the GTX 560m supports only one external monitor.

BrodyBoy
12-28-2011, 09:26 PM
Actually you can connect the audio from your G74 to a big LCD TV. I did it successfully last night. I connected a HDMI cable from my G74SX to port #4 on the back of my 48 inch Sony Bravia LCD TV.
Re-read the thread, and my post, Gary. This was specifically about using an HDMI-DVI adapter. As I said, the G74 offers "no other digital audio-out option" ....aside from the HDMI that has been discussed. If you want crappy analog 2-channel....you can use the headphone jack. Which in itself is ridiculous.

Gary73
12-31-2011, 12:18 AM
Thank you for welcoming me to the Asus forum with such a rude response. I especially like your reference to "If you want crappy..." Nice. I don't know about your "crappy" LCD TV, but my Sony Bravia has excellent 2 channel sound. It is so clear and loud when hooked to the head phone jack on my G74 that I had to lower the LCD TV volume quite a bit. Moreover, I did notice the thread was about digital sound, but, unlike you, I was trying to help by suggesting another much cheaper and simpler solution. The head phone cord only cost $9.00 while a good HDMI-DVI adapter costs at least $30.00. Most new LCD TV's have such good sound you don't need the digital output. And no, using the head phone jack is not "ridiculous" , unless your calling Sony tech support ridiculous. Sony recommends using the head phone jack with an HDMI cable.
Have you ever used a quality head phone set plugged in the G74 head phone jack? Obviously not because you would have noticed that what you hear in the head phones is actually much better than what could be generated by the HDMI-DVI port. Play BF2 Bad Company 2 on your G74 wearing head phones and you will hear sounds you will never hear by your method.

Most of your advice on this forum is spot on and a great help. But on this topic you have "dropped the ball" and have yourself become "ridiculous".

Trijicon
12-31-2011, 01:31 AM
Why spend the extra $9.00 on a cable you dont need when the sound is transmitted better through the HDMI hook up. It's not rude, it's a fact...

And have you tried not taking things so personally over the Net? Some people just talk in a 'matter of fact' manner and they dont mince words so getting all pissy will not help your cause or your blood pressure. He did not call you rediculous, he called the usage of a analog hook up for audo while also using a digital HDMI cable rediculous so coming back at him personally was not to cool...

BrodyBoy
12-31-2011, 05:09 AM
Thank you for welcoming me to the Asus forum with such a rude response. I especially like your reference to "If you want crappy..." Nice. I don't know about your "crappy" LCD TV, but my Sony Bravia has excellent 2 channel sound. It is so clear and loud when hooked to the head phone jack on my G74 that I had to lower the LCD TV volume quite a bit.
I wasn't being rude....I think you took my response the wrong way. Considering that the G74 is capable of 5.1 channel digital out, the standard audio of most sources one is likely to output to a big screen TV, it's a very unfortunate limitation that one MUST use HDMI to take advantage of it.

The ridiculous part is that the G74, presumably a gaming/multimedia computer, forces those without HDMI-enabled gear to use internally-processed stereo audio. From a headphone jack. Compared to the 5.1 HD audio mix on any BD these days, yes, I call that crappy audio, not to mention 15-year old technology. I wasn't impugning your TV or anybody else's....TV speaker quality was not my point. It's that the G74 is so extremely limited in its output options.

Hopefully, that clarifies my point. I have no interest in engaging your personal attacks or insults, so welcome to the forum and Happy New Year to you, Gary. :)

Yahooligan
12-31-2011, 06:00 AM
I agree that it's pretty lame to not have any other digital audio output from the factory, however...

http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Beach-Advantage-Digital-Adapter/dp/B0036VO4X4

$25 and you have an optical digital output via USB.

On the flip side, the G74 is a "value-priced" gaming laptop. Alienware may have more goodies, but they come at a price, not to mention the Alienware name itself adds to the price as well. I'd rather spend $25 to add something that's "missing" than spend $2500 and have it be included. ;)

BrodyBoy
12-31-2011, 06:02 AM
Whatever happened to optical-out? Seems like laptops always used to have that option.... :mad:

Yahooligan
12-31-2011, 06:14 AM
I never had a gaming laptop before this G74, everything else had been "business-class" or a Mac, and the Mac has that combo jack that does both analog or digital. That's the only one that had a digital audio output that I've had.

Personally, I'm fine with HDMI. A single cable to connect the laptop to my home theater makes things much simpler than HDMI to the TV and jacking around with inputs on the receiver. Sure, not everyone has a setup that's capable of doing that but HDMI-only doesn't mean you're stuck with digital sound coming from the TV speakers

BrodyBoy
12-31-2011, 06:37 AM
Personally, I'm fine with HDMI. A single cable to connect the laptop to my home theater makes things much simpler ....
I agree, I have that option as well (though I don't use my computers as players). But unfortunately, an HDMI-capable AV receiver/processor is the ONLY setup that gives you the 5.1 that most sources have these days.

Yahooligan
12-31-2011, 06:55 AM
I agree, I have that option as well (though I don't use my computers as players). But unfortunately, an HDMI-capable AV receiver/processor is the ONLY setup that gives you the 5.1 that most sources have these days.

Only factory-supplied setup, yes. If you're willing to spend $25 on the item I linked above then you can easily do HDMI -> DVI and USB -> digital-out.

However...keep in mind that Blu-Ray requires that external displays support HDCP as well, if you have an older DVI-only display that doesn't have HDMI then there's a good chance it doesn't support HDCP and this whole discussion is moot. HDMI makes the most sense for supplying HD video and audio and guarantees the most compatibility with HD media as a result.

The other advantage is the audio and video streams will be in sync. Splitting the audio and video streams to different devices can introduce delays in audio or video. I have an old Sony DVD player that suffered from this problem, very annoying. By allowing the video card to combine the streams over HDMI you reduce the likelihood of sync issues.

Yes, not everyone has (or wants, or can afford) a "modern" A/V setup, but to fault the laptop for lacking the ability to support a less-than-ideal, possibly-incompatible-with-HD setup seems backwards to me. If you want to do a setup like that then there are relatively cheap options out there to do what you want, such as what I linked above.

However, I think it was really silly for ASUS to include a VGA port on the G74 instead of HDMI and DVI. If people really want/need to connect to a VGA display then they make DVI -> VGA adapters, but there's no way to convert VGA into a clean, digital signal.

xeromist
12-31-2011, 08:48 AM
I think it was really silly for ASUS to include a VGA port on the G74 instead of HDMI and DVI. If people really want/need to connect to a VGA display then they make DVI -> VGA adapters, but there's no way to convert VGA into a clean, digital signal.

HDMI is electrically compatible with DVI so you can use an adapter to get DVI relatively easily. You're asking for two of the same port, essentially. DVI>VGA adapters are a specialized dongle which exploits non-standard pinouts. Not as easy to replace if you lose it. Most modern A/V equipment has HDMI and older projectors need VGA (yes, some people might put a G74 on PowerPoint duty from time to time). There is much less likelihood that you're going to need DVI out at a random inconvenient time than HDMI or VGA, so I'd say the decision was sound. If you're looking for dual digital out, well laptop GPUs are pretty much always single head capable from what I've seen so both aren't going to work at the same time even if you had them.

Yahooligan
01-10-2012, 07:58 AM
DVI>VGA adapters are a specialized dongle which exploits non-standard pinouts. Not as easy to replace if you lose it

Sorry for the late reply, but I'm not sure where you're getting that info. DVI and VGA are standards, I have a number of DVI -> VGA adapters from multiple vendors and they all work the same. If DVI and VGA were non-standard then you would need proprietary displays to go with the video cards.

Since I can do HDMI -> DVI I don't really have a problem, other than I can't use my DVI KVM with this laptop with what I have. I would need to get one of these...

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041902&p_id=2080&seq=1&format=2

Oh well. :) Still dig the G74!