PDA

View Full Version : stone cold dead, nothin' but black screen

chemvictim
12-04-2010, 10:41 PM
My G73 froze up last night and won't load anything - just a black screen staring back at me. I took it back to Best Buy where they hooked it up to an external monitor and fiddled around with the battery to make sure it was really dead (as opposed to mostly dead, I guess). So now I have to wait 2-4 weeks for them to ship it off, etc. I'm extremely frustrated because my husband's G73 had to be replaced just a few weeks ago for a different issue. That makes 2 of these laptops which have lived 4 months and 2 months, respectively, and I now expect hubby's replacement computer to die sometime soon based on this track record. Does anybody know a way to expedite the repair process? Calling customer service and asking nicely didn't do the trick. I used to think Dell was bad...

xeromist
12-06-2010, 07:02 PM
Is Best Buy handling the replacement process or are you working with ASUS directly?

V2-V3
12-07-2010, 07:51 AM
Best Buy handles repairs internally, generally they ship the notebook to one of their centeral repair facilities where the wait time can be several weeks.

For the fastest service you will need to send the notebook to ASUS directly by contacting asus tech support.

It might be possible for you to do a cross shpment for express "premium replacment":

ASUS Premium RMA Service:
ASUS Premium Service is a limited warranty service allowing cross-ship replacements
In order to perform a Advance Swap Program for cross-ship of replacement, you will have to provide ASUS with a valid credit card.
The non-functional or defective parts must be returned to ASUS within 14 days of submitting the warranty replacement request.
Please call ASUS Customer Service (510-739-3777) for additional information.

Here is the contact information for notebook support

ASUS Republic of gamers Notebook Warranty & RMA
Notebook Support page

Email Tech Support:
http://vip.asus.com/eservice/techserv.aspx

Phone Tech Support:
24 hours a day
7 days a week
Phone: 1-888-678-3688
For expedited service, please fill out this form: http://vip.asus.com/eservice/usa_techserv.aspx

Live Support Chat:
http://livesupport.asus.com/backend/...t.aspx?ref=&d=

RMA Request Form:
http://vip.asus.com/eservice/usa_rmaserv.aspx

http://livesupport.asus.com/backend/...t.aspx?ref=&d=

chemvictim
12-16-2010, 01:59 AM
Thanks for the replies. I took the computer back to Best Buy, which I thought was my only option at the time. They replaced the motherboard and VGA board in less than two weeks, which I thought was impressive. After getting the computer back, however, I had to enter my Windows product key which was unexpected. Everything seemed okay for a little while, then the thing just shut down. Now it's running startup repair, and startup repair was unable to fix whatever is wrong, and I'm losing my mind.

chemvictim
12-16-2010, 01:27 PM
I'm doing a factory image restore, hoping that will solve the problem.

xeromist
12-16-2010, 03:30 PM
Good luck! Bestbuy may not have reassembled everything perfectly or perhaps they gave you different RAM which is bad. Let us know how it goes.

chemvictim
12-16-2010, 08:17 PM
I did the factory image restore, but the blue screen - startup repair cycle continues. I'm so depressed.

xeromist
12-16-2010, 08:29 PM
Perhaps call BB and see if there are any local Geeksquad dudes that can at least have a look at it without sending it out. You should not have to troubleshoot a problem that they caused.

chemvictim
12-16-2010, 10:16 PM
It's back at Best Buy. They're doing some mysterious diagnostics which will determine if it's hardware (they'll replace it) or software. If it's software they won't replace it, but will do a restore that is apparently more thorough than the factory image restore I did today. Still depressed.

xeromist
12-17-2010, 01:02 AM
Hang in there. Once you get it back this will all be behind you.

chemvictim
12-18-2010, 11:50 PM
I have it back again. they say they fixed the blue screen problem. I really hope it's actually fixed for good this time!

xeromist
12-19-2010, 03:39 AM
Good luck!

chemvictim
12-19-2010, 04:07 AM
omg...back to the startup repair nonsense...I don't know what I'm going to do now.

V2-V3
12-19-2010, 06:43 AM
You may want to diagnose the issue your self and determine weather you should return the unit for a refund or repair.

First thing is to test the memory and see if its defective, memory is often the cause of Blue Screen error codes,
Download the latest version of Memtest X86 (currently 4.10) in .ISO format
Burn the ISO with your favorite burning software like NERO
insert the burned Memtest CD and reboot your computer, boot off the disk and the software will automatically run the diagnostics.
any errors will be displayed, wait for the system to colplete a full "PASS" of 8 tests before amusing your memory is ok.

To me this sounds like the techs have not diagnosed a possible Hard Drive failure and may not have replaced a failing Hard Disk

TBolt
12-19-2010, 09:42 AM
This thread scares me. hehe. I wish the best to the OP -- I hope these G73's hold up for her, and us. :-/

chemvictim
12-19-2010, 04:35 PM
No more blue screens today, but it shuts down unexpectedly due to graphics card overheating. (takes about 20 minutes of WoW to achieve that) Best Buy guy says it has to go out for repairs 3 times before they will replace it.

chemvictim
12-19-2010, 08:36 PM
Update: Best buy replaced it and apparently they had to go outside the normal policies to do so. But I'm sooo glad, that thing clearly had issues. Now setting up my 4th G73 (counting my husband's first one and its replacement).

Ninjak
12-19-2010, 11:49 PM
Good luck, chemvictim! I'm waiting for my G73JW-A1 to come back from Asus for a mobo and graphics card replacement. They've been waiting 1.5 months now, since Nov 1, for replacements from Taiwan. Frustrating, for sure, but I hope your ordeal is truly over and that you and your husband's systems remain trouble-free. :)

chemvictim
12-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Thanks Ninjak. Wow, 1.5 months! I hope it gets fixed soon!

xeromist
12-20-2010, 05:05 PM
Glad to hear they replaced it Chem. Sometimes you just get a bad one and having 3 turns with the Geeksquad sounds like more than enough penance to have it replaced :D

chemvictim
12-20-2010, 05:55 PM
I'm hoping this new machine will be alright. Surely it can't hurt that I made a blood sacrifice to it. (not on purpose, just hellacious papercut from opening the box). :D

Ninjak
12-22-2010, 08:42 PM
Thanks Ninjak. Wow, 1.5 months! I hope it gets fixed soon!

That was just the well-wishing I needed, chemvictim! As soon as I read your email, I got an email from Asus stating that my unit was repaired and shipped out by FedEx! I'll have it back on Christmas Eve! Ironically, last night they also emailed trying to offer me an "identical" JH as a replacement. Thanks for being my lucky charm! And sorry to hear about the blood sacrifice, but every drop helps! Lol. :-)