PDA

View Full Version : G750jm overheating cores during OCCT test = bad processor?

LastOne
07-03-2016, 01:31 AM
I bought a laptop (that I can return.)

It is a g750jm, 2.5 ghz i7.

When I stress test it with OCCT, the test shuts down after about thirty seconds when core #2 hits 85c. I think core #1 also did that once. Same happens when I increase the limit to 92.

Is the chip bad? Or likely to go bad? Or likely damaged from running hot? Should I pass on this one?

ll_r1d0_ll
07-03-2016, 08:37 AM
I bought a laptop (that I can return.)

It is a g750jm, 2.5 ghz i7.

When I stress test it with OCCT, the test shuts down after about thirty seconds when core #2 hits 85c. I think core #1 also did that once. Same happens when I increase the limit to 92.

Is the chip bad? Or likely to go bad? Or likely damaged from running hot? Should I pass on this one?

there is nothing wrong with your chip or processor... you just have to open up the laptop and REPASTE you processor and GPU(if you want to) with good thermal paste or you can ask the seller from whom you bought this laptop to repaste

Googlegot
07-04-2016, 03:06 AM
What BIOS rev are you running? If you haven't updated it, it's possible it just isn't ramping up the fan fast enough to keep up with the CPU temp. Try that before cracking it open.

Was it bought used? If so, it might have some dust buildup in the cooler fins, which might be able to be dislodged with some compressed air as well.

Remember, that processor has a max temperature of 100c, which means it is tested to run continuously AT 100c, it will throttle or power off if the temperature runs away, so don't worry about damage to your laptop running these tests.

Set the max testing temp at 105, and let it run. The fans might spool up and bring the temperature down a bit.

LastOne
07-05-2016, 02:15 PM
What BIOS rev are you running? If you haven't updated it, it's possible it just isn't ramping up the fan fast enough to keep up with the CPU temp. Try that before cracking it open.

Was it bought used? If so, it might have some dust buildup in the cooler fins, which might be able to be dislodged with some compressed air as well.

Remember, that processor has a max temperature of 100c, which means it is tested to run continuously AT 100c, it will throttle or power off if the temperature runs away, so don't worry about damage to your laptop running these tests.

Set the max testing temp at 105, and let it run. The fans might spool up and bring the temperature down a bit.

Bios 2.42.0 (I have not tried to update anything at all yet. Wasn't sure if I should, since I wasn't sure whether to keep or not.)

Yes. Bought used. Can return, if it makes sense to not keep this one.

I tried the settings like you said, and it was running very close to 100 at times, but did not quite reach it.

Googlegot
07-06-2016, 02:22 AM
Bios 2.42.0 (I have not tried to update anything at all yet. Wasn't sure if I should, since I wasn't sure whether to keep or not.)

Yes. Bought used. Can return, if it makes sense to not keep this one.

I tried the settings like you said, and it was running very close to 100 at times, but did not quite reach it.

That is a pretty high temperature. Update the bios, test again.

If it doesn't stabilize around 85-92c just exchange it. It isn't damaging the CPU, but it is still hotter than I'd personally want my laptop running.

Intel's eXtreme Tuning Utility can show when the processor is throttling due to the temperature. Use that as your temperature monitor and see if there's thermal throttling. If so, exchange it as it probably has a bad thermal pad installation.