PDA

View Full Version : G752VT DH72 overheated inside backpack



gtan777x
07-05-2016, 06:42 AM
Just want to share my story. I basically carry my G752 to work everyday.
When done I'd just close the lid let the orange lightbars go out and I'm confident the system is no longer running so I put it inside my backpack put it in the car and drove home.
When I got home, to my shock and horror the backpack was hot as hell. So i quickly opened it up and got the laptop out which, I kid you not the lid almost burned my hand from the heat.
I quickly opened up the lid and saw the screen was just Black while the fans were running at full blast and the hot air war just being circulated inside the backpack.
I noticed though all the lights, keyboard backlight and even the power button was lit up and knew it was still running but just could not display anything on screen so I held the power button until it powered off.

At hat point I lost all hope that this thing was ever going to work again. I even got the box and receipts out of storage to prepare and bring it back to the Retailer (Octagon Computers) I bought it from.

After 3 hours of letting it cool down in my room I was just about to pack it up but though to try and turn it on. Lo and behold... It booted up. Battery was down to less than 10% and I quickly got the charger to top it up.
Did a few tests just to ensure everything was working (wifi, sound, etc) I even played Witcher 3 just to see if it could still handle it. I was genuinely surprised that it came out of that alive.
The only issues I have noticed is the battery is now quite low. I'm only getting about 1 to 1.5 hours out of it with lowest brightness, power saver, etc.

Ever since that incident I've ALWAYS let it shutdown whenever I put it in my bag. I know its kind of a hassle but I'm just not sure what caused it to wake from sleep on it own.

I just wanted to share this with everyone and hopefully prevent a similar issue from happening to anyone.

Armesis
07-05-2016, 02:36 PM
Wow, im glad your laptop still works, those things arent cheap lol. I had the exact same experience with my toshiba laptop several years ago. Normally any laptop will shutdown when it overheats, but when it doesnt shutdown properly like in both our cases, i guess the safety mechanisms arent active. Good lesson though, everyone else please learn from our mistakes, ALWAYS make sure the laptop is fully OFF before packing it up.

Googlegot
07-06-2016, 02:45 AM
While this certainly isn't good for the laptop, the CPU and GPU have systems in place to prevent overheat damage.

If the temperature exceeds 110c on the cpu, or 95c on the GPU, the laptop will do a hard shutdown and not turn back on until it cools down.

If this happens regularly, you will stress out the BGA solder pads connecting the cpu and gpu, and that will cause them to fail, bricking your laptop.

That all said, no permanent damage done. I'm glad things turned out alright.

daddylongleg
07-19-2016, 01:20 PM
Just want to share my story. I basically carry my G752 to work everyday.
When done I'd just close the lid let the orange lightbars go out and I'm confident the system is no longer running so I put it inside my backpack put it in the car and drove home.
When I got home, to my shock and horror the backpack was hot as hell. So i quickly opened it up and got the laptop out which, I kid you not the lid almost burned my hand from the heat.
I quickly opened up the lid and saw the screen was just Black while the fans were running at full blast and the hot air war just being circulated inside the backpack.
I noticed though all the lights, keyboard backlight and even the power button was lit up and knew it was still running but just could not display anything on screen so I held the power button until it powered off.

At hat point I lost all hope that this thing was ever going to work again. I even got the box and receipts out of storage to prepare and bring it back to the Retailer (Octagon Computers) I bought it from.

After 3 hours of letting it cool down in my room I was just about to pack it up but though to try and turn it on. Lo and behold... It booted up. Battery was down to less than 10% and I quickly got the charger to top it up.
Did a few tests just to ensure everything was working (wifi, sound, etc) I even played Witcher 3 just to see if it could still handle it. I was genuinely surprised that it came out of that alive.
The only issues I have noticed is the battery is now quite low. I'm only getting about 1 to 1.5 hours out of it with lowest brightness, power saver, etc.

Ever since that incident I've ALWAYS let it shutdown whenever I put it in my bag. I know its kind of a hassle but I'm just not sure what caused it to wake from sleep on it own.

I just wanted to share this with everyone and hopefully prevent a similar issue from happening to anyone.


This was not your fault. 1/20 times I shut my asus g752vt off (not just close the lid, SHUT OFF, SHUT DOWN) after heavy gaming or something, the red lights on the back stay lit, but the laptop is off. The fans still run! I have almost put it back in my bag like this. My rl bud who has the same laptop and is not as technical savvy definitely will do this, and when I asked him if his laptop does this ever, it DOES! My advice, either don't buy this laptop, or if you've already made that mistake, if you run into this glitch then just power the laptop back on for a few minutes and shut down again.

JustinThyme
07-21-2016, 03:26 PM
I shut mine down 100% of the time. Too many wake parameters. Just a little jostle on the lid will do it. Its not like its going to take an hour to boot back up later. All of this can be avoided by simply taking a few extra seconds. Everyone is in too much of a hurry anymore.

Ive had this happen on other machines more than once thinking the laptop was shut down and closed the lid too fast. Open it later to it being hot and with a dead battery.

daddylongleg
07-23-2016, 02:05 AM
I shut mine down 100% of the time. Too many wake parameters. Just a little jostle on the lid will do it. Its not like its going to take an hour to boot back up later. All of this can be avoided by simply taking a few extra seconds. Everyone is in too much of a hurry anymore.

Ive had this happen on other machines more than once thinking the laptop was shut down and closed the lid too fast. Open it later to it being hot and with a dead battery.

Not sure you are understanding.. I have had a similar scenario. I didn't put it in my bag, but 15% of the time I SHUT DOWN my laptop g752vt, the red lights stay on in the back and the cooling stays going for some reason. This could be harmful going into my bag like that so I always have to boot it back up and then shut it off again to resolve this before putting it in my bag. Rather annoying.