PDA

View Full Version : G752 New Hard Drive Install / Restore Method?

NitroStar
07-07-2016, 01:36 PM
User manual and this web site is incomplete. Tells you how to physically install/upgrade a hard drive but not how to install/restore it like new again. This Windows 10 seems sketchy at doing this. I've made an image but get error trying to make a recovery drive.
Is there not a sure way to just install Windows then install all the exact drivers from the Asus download site like when you build a new PC from scratch?
I've found a folder called eSupport on the C drive that is ran by the Asus install program BUT the drivers Check box is greyed out even though all the drivers are in the folders under the eSupport folder. I don't get this and the manual doesn't mention this (or I haven't found it).

Clintlgm
07-08-2016, 02:33 AM
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?76993-Guide-How-to-install-windows-8-8-1-10-The-proper-way-(UEFI-based-installation)
Asus Support Downloads (http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1)

I use Macrium Reflect (http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx)to create images of my OS SSD, Insure when creating Images that you image the entire disk, don't just pick out partitions select the entire disk/SSD create an image on a external USB drive, create the restore media Bootable USB, you can restore any time In just a few minutes

I can't help you with the eSupport folder.

JustinThyme
07-11-2016, 04:17 AM
If you left the original drive intact with all of its partitions you can put it back to factory state easy as pie. User manual is basic, they all are. Maybe buy windows for dummies?
As for this website this is sponsored by ASUS but is 100% user driven. ASUS doesnt write manuals or how to threads on this website.

start>settings>update>update and security>recovery>reset this PC. Takes it right back to out of the box condition.

The rest after that is on you. Operation manuals assume a certain level of PC user proficiency and do not go into detail as the options are virtually unlimited.

I dont use windows back up and recovery outside of what I just mentioned.

My way of doing things that not everyone agrees with because it means moth balling the original drive.

First things first. Set up new PC and update drivers and software.
Install new drive and clone OEM drive to it in its entirety meaning all partitions. If you are installing a Samsung 950 pro or the likes Samsung data migration works. Acronis True Image works as does Macrium reflect.

Once the new drive is ready to go I take the OEM drive out, put it in a box where it will spend its entire existence unless I need it for the oh crap factor when all other levels of recovery have failed.

With new drive in place and all software installed I open my wallet just a little and bought Acronis true image that I use for back ups to a NAS on a weekly basis. The first back up takes up quite a bit of space but after that its one of the only true incremental back up software solutions on the market that backs up only what has changed instead of the entire disk again.

I also keep windows 10 pro install on a USB drive strictly for repair and recovery that I have actually used just once when the windows boot options had to be repaired. You can also use it for other recovery options. Its all dependent on what has happened as to what my plan of recovery is. Last resort, break out the OEM drive, put it back in and repeat process at the top.