PDA

View Full Version : Updating all Drivers and BIOS

Not_Enough_Rage
07-15-2016, 12:11 AM
Hello everyone;

It`s been a week now since I started my PC for the first time and installed the Windows 10 software. The PC is running pretty good with the factory BIOS, chipset drivers, and all the drivers that were installed by the manufacturer installation discs. There is only one device that is not working properly, and that is the Intel Management Interface Engine. It will not start and has a code 10.
But, at the moment I have a question about all the drivers and the BIOS version that is currently on my system.. Should I update them all, or leave them alone. I would like to update all drivers, as the latest drivers will fix some known issues and improve some things. But, I am nervous about updating them. I am worried that something may happen and I`ll get all frustrated and not know how to fix it.
So, I would like to ask for help on how to install current drivers for all the devices I have and the BIOS. I need step by step instructions because I`m not that computer savvy. I catch on quick, but I still have a lot to learn.
Thanks.

MeanMachine
07-15-2016, 02:32 AM
Hi Not_Enough_Rage :)

Yes all drivers should be up to date and you may have to update your BIOS.
Detailed instructions for a Bios update will be given if required.
The Intel Management Interface Engine is an important driver to update and should be got directly from the Intel site.
Check all your drivers in Device Manager, when and if you get into Windows.

Qcode 10 is "PEI core is started" which means Pre EFI initialization. This phase of post is looking for memory then passes on to the DXE environment.
I cannot find your DIMMs listed on the ASUS QVL list (although it may not be up to date), so they may or may not work well with the CPU IMC.
Bios Tweaks can rectify this, if you know what you are doing and it can be frustrating to get them to work.
Try with just one DIMM in first slot initially in single channel mode and see if that works and make sure the module is inserted and pushed down correctly.
You can add the other modules later.
See how you go and please report back.

Not_Enough_Rage
07-15-2016, 03:27 AM
This code 10 is in the Device Manager under the general tab of the Intel Management Engine Interface Properties window. It says;

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

STATUS_DEVICE_POWER_FAILURE

PCI bus 0, device 22, function 0

It is not on the Qcodes. Would this be the same error?
Anyway, I uninstalled the Intel MEI driver from the Device Manager and at the Control Panel, then downloaded the new updated MEI driver from Intel. When I tried to install the new driver, it just re-installed the old driver back to the Device Manager, but no MEI shows in the Control Panel.

The memory I have is listed in G.Skill`s QVL for the M8E MB`s. Does this mean that G.Skill has tested this combination? Currently both memory sticks are showing both sticks in the BIOS at factory timings.

MeanMachine
07-15-2016, 04:08 AM
Did you install the driver with Admin privilege as MS security may prevent the installation. you must have the correct driver for your MB.
Run the Intel Management Engine Verification Utility.

Your DIMMs would default to standard JDEC spd timings and if you have an XMP profile you can manually change the settings in Bios.
You can check the SPD info for Primary Timings and voltage in the Tools section of Bios.

As I said you may need a Bios update, What version are you on.?

Not_Enough_Rage
07-15-2016, 01:30 PM
Did you install the driver with Admin privilege as MS security may prevent the installation. you must have the correct driver for your MB.
Run the Intel Management Engine Verification Utility.

Your DIMMs would default to standard JDEC spd timings and if you have an XMP profile you can manually change the settings in Bios.
You can check the SPD info for Primary Timings and voltage in the Tools section of Bios.

As I said you may need a Bios update, What version are you on.?

I`m almost certain the driver was installed with Admin privileges, but how do I check?
Maybe I did have the wrong driver, can you tell me which one is the right one?
I don`t know where to find the Engine Verification Utility.
I`m going to leave the DIMM modules at default timings until I get all these drivers updated.
My BIOS version is at 1402.

I told ya I`m not that computer savvy when it comes to tech terms. :confused: I need baby steps for now. :o

MeanMachine
07-16-2016, 02:32 AM
If you are the Admin and only user on your system, whenever you activate a .EXE file, you right click and select to run as Administrator.

The Intel Management Interface Engine is available from ASUS support for your MB and should be installed prior to updating the Bios.
Go here to support listed under "Chipset" : http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-EXTREME/HelpDesk_Download/

You can also go here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=intel+management+engine

And for verification utility go here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19009/Intel-Management-Engine-Verification-Utility

Your latest Bios is 1701 for improved system stability.

Go here for guide on Flashing your Bios. Some variation for your MB model will apply.
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1142-How-to-use-ASUS-ROG-USB-BIOS-Flashback

Baby steps for best Bios update using the ROG IO rear panel.
You will need an empty USB stick, formatted to Fat32.
Download the Bios file from ASUS support to the USB and check the file has .CAP extension.
Power down your system so there is only power to the MB.
Insert the USB stick into the correct USB port for flashback then press the ROG connect button for a few seconds till the led starts to blink.
When it stops you are done. If confused refer to your MB manual.

Note: If the light flashes for five seconds and turns stable, USB BIOS Flashback is not operating properly. This may be caused by improper installation of the portable storage device, an error in the file name, or incompatibility in file formats.
If this is the case, restart the system until the light clears, and check the file name and format.

Not_Enough_Rage
07-16-2016, 11:50 AM
I wish I could post a screen shot of my drives here. I`ll be able to explain what happened when I tried to download the the Intel ME driver. I did a post about this in the General topics thread. One poster said I may not have enough posts to enable the picture posting, and to contact a Moderator.

When I downloaded the driver, it went to the CD-Rom drive!!!. I don`t know how to explain any further, but I think this has to do with when I first installed Windows and did the drive set up.

MeanMachine
07-16-2016, 01:02 PM
A downloaded file will not be automatically saved to cd-rom. A file is downloaded to where you specify on your HDD or SSD.
If in zip format you have to unzip the file then burn it to disk.
You will need to check your priority settings in Bios. Do you know how.?

Not_Enough_Rage
07-16-2016, 04:03 PM
I did`nt choose for it to go there, and I don`t think it is supposed to even open to the optical drive. When I open up Disk Management, there are 3 CD ROM drives. I only have one optical drive. Also I need to assign a drive letter to the rest of the drives. I think, like you said it may be something I have to change in BIOS. But, I still wish I could post a screen shot of what my drive set up looks like. I don`t think they are set up correctly.

No sir, I don`t know what to change in the BIOS. I would also like to know how to get in BIOS with out re-booting.

MeanMachine
07-17-2016, 01:00 AM
To get into your Bios, Reboot the system and continually depress the Del key off and on during post.
When you are in Bios, go to the Boot Menu Tab> Boot option priorities.
Disable fast boot and in Boot option priority set for your OS drive (your SSD). 2nd drive would be DVD or USB, third your HDD. What else is listed.?
If some are listed and not physically there then delete/disable them.
Also check that CSM (Compatibility Support Module) is enabled.

In Windows you describe you have 3CD ROM drives, If they are not physically there then, Delete/disable/remove whatever.

Not_Enough_Rage
07-17-2016, 12:19 PM
In BIOS I have the boot priorities in this order;
SSD
HDD
BDD (Blu-Ray)

There are no more listed in the BIOS that are physically not there but, when I open the Disk Management folder I see the SSD drive, the HDD drive, and 3 CD ROM drives! And the Intel ME driver is listed on two of them. Every time I run (execute) the driver from the download (I did it 2 times) it will create another CD drive tab in Disk Management.

CSM is enabled.
May I ask why the fast boot should be disabled? The POST already takes so long (2-3 minutes) to finish booting.

MeanMachine
07-17-2016, 02:23 PM
You can enable fast boot when we resolve the issue. Its better to have it disabled when trouble shooting.

Your Bios is probably not the issue as you have a correct priority order, Lets try to narrow it down.

Disconnect the HDD and BDD temporarily till you check your system files. Just in case the problem is the HDD or the BDD.

With just the SSD with the OS, run "SFC /SCANNOW" from an elevated Command Prompt without the quotation marks.
It will scan your windows files for problems and try to fix them. If it can't then you may have to do a clean install.

If all is OK then download the MEI driver and verification tool to an appropriate folder on C: drive. and try to install it.
Run the verification tool first.

See how that goes and report back.

Not_Enough_Rage
07-17-2016, 09:10 PM
sfc/ scannow results;

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Verification tool from Intel won`t work. it says there is no driver that matches description.
I can download the driver, it just goes to the wrong place. I think it may be because my drives were initially set up wrong during when I was installing Windows 10. I`m not sure though. Wish I could show you what my drive set up looks like.

MeanMachine
07-17-2016, 11:41 PM
You can take screen shots of what you have.
Use IMIGUR to host your files, Once you have them uploaded to IMIGUR, obtain the BB url and post a link here.
Iv'e never had your situation, so it will help if you have images and someone else may be able to help too.

Not_Enough_Rage
07-19-2016, 01:36 AM
http://i.imgur.com/sp3pcP1.png

Not_Enough_Rage
07-19-2016, 01:40 AM
Well, I did`nt expect the image to be that big. Let`s try again.

http://i.imgur.com/sp3pcP1l.png

Not_Enough_Rage
07-19-2016, 01:45 AM
If you can see the image okay, you`ll see that every time I try to run (execute) the ME driver, it creates another CD drive. I`m not sure the drives are set up right and if I reserved enough or too much for Windows 10.

MeanMachine
07-19-2016, 03:34 AM
Ah now I see the problem Not_Enough_Rage :) It seems strange that downloaded file are not being saved to your C: drive and Disk Management shows me:

1. The drive is partitioned for C: and D: and D: drive is formatted CDFS.

CDFS is a file extension for a virtual file system used with Linux. CDFS stands for CD File System.
CDFS contains all tracks and boot images extracted from a CD.
2. The CDFS partition is in a write protected chip (NAND) and it is impossible to erase.

There is a method to delete the partition, but can result in a dead drive if not done correctly. I don't recommend it and have just read about it.
Your best option imo is to get another Generic Drive and do a clean Windows installation.

Not_Enough_Rage
07-19-2016, 12:07 PM
I don`t know what I did wrong in setting up the drives during Windows install. I followed the directions from this link.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2569562/install-windows.html

When I did the install, I unplugged the signal cable from the HDD, so that I know for certain that Windows will be installed on the SSD.
And after the install it asked me to choose a boot record; MBR or GUID. I chose GUID. Is this where my mistake was?

I guess I will just buy a new SSD and start over.
What about the HDD? Is that one corrupted too?

Will I still be able to use my Windows 10 disc again? I was wondering if it will reject it because the license is already activated from first install?

MrAgapiGC
07-19-2016, 05:11 PM
Hi Not_Enough_Rage :)

Yes all drivers should be up to date and you may have to update your BIOS.
Detailed instructions for a Bios update will be given if required.
The Intel Management Interface Engine is an important driver to update and should be got directly from the Intel site.
Check all your drivers in Device Manager, when and if you get into Windows.

Qcode 10 is "PEI core is started" which means Pre EFI initialization. This phase of post is looking for memory then passes on to the DXE environment.
I cannot find your DIMMs listed on the ASUS QVL list (although it may not be up to date), so they may or may not work well with the CPU IMC.
Bios Tweaks can rectify this, if you know what you are doing and it can be frustrating to get them to work.
Try with just one DIMM in first slot initially in single channel mode and see if that works and make sure the module is inserted and pushed down correctly.
You can add the other modules later.
See how you go and please report back.

I have read a little of these. question since i did install the intel management interface engine, from the Asus website. there is a difference on both and why is the issue from the asus. I did full install with windows 10 pro 64bits. but i want to be sure...

MeanMachine
07-20-2016, 12:29 AM
I don`t know what I did wrong in setting up the drives during Windows install. I followed the directions from this link.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2569562/install-windows.html

When I did the install, I unplugged the signal cable from the HDD, so that I know for certain that Windows will be installed on the SSD.
And after the install it asked me to choose a boot record; MBR or GUID. I chose GUID. Is this where my mistake was?

I guess I will just buy a new SSD and start over.
What about the HDD? Is that one corrupted too?

Will I still be able to use my Windows 10 disc again? I was wondering if it will reject it because the license is already activated from first install?

Whether you choose GUID (GPT) or MBR format depends on your system disks and GUID partitioning allows for much larger disks.
It is a newer technology however, Windows can only boot from GPT on UEFI-based computers running 64-bit versions of Windows.

MBR format is still the most compatible for older systems and is still necessary in some cases. In terms of recovery from data corruption GPT has better capability than MBR.

Essentially, you did nothing wrong in your choice of going with GUID so long as the above is understood.

Many Windows 10 users need to convert MBR to GPT or convert GPT to MBR depending on their own requirements.

You can give this a try to convert GUID /GPT Partition to MBR.

Download this trial software, install and launch it: http://www.disk-partition.com/download-pro.html

Right click the disk you want to convert and then choose Convert to MBR Disk.

Let me know the results, as I have never had to do this and I hope it works for you.

BTW: There should be nothing wrong with your other HDD.

Regarding Windows installation, You don't need the licence key to install Windows 10 by obtaining the Media Creation tool from MS.
Go here: http://www.howtogeek.com/244678/you-dont-need-a-product-key-to-install-and-use-windows-10/
The Media Creation Tool from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Not_Enough_Rage
07-20-2016, 02:08 PM
I can`t even run the partition assistant software. It also goes to the CDFS file. Looks like I`m going to have to buy a new SSD and start over.
Do you think you might know what I could have done that made the CDFS format?
Was I supposed to format the SSD and HDD before or after Windows install?
Maybe I should not have unplugged the HDD during Windows install?
Just trying to figure out what went wrong so I don`t repeat it. If there are detailed instructions you can post for me to follow - would be great. Maybe the instructions I followed were for Linux?

Now I also know why I can`t play Fallout 4. It never even went to the drive after downloading it.

Nate152
07-20-2016, 03:17 PM
Hi Not_Enough_Rage

Disconnect your 1TB hdd then try installing windows in uefi mode, windows will automatically partition your drive so you shouldn't have to set anything.

Select your DVD burner/usb flash drive (however you are installing windows) with UEFI in front if it as Boot Priority 1,

F10 and Enter to save and exit then upon reboot it will say press any key then you will have options to delete and format your drive, I do both.

Once windows installs make sure "windows boot manager' is set as Boot Priority 1 then turn off your pc and connect your 1TB hdd.

Let me know how this goes.

Not_Enough_Rage
07-20-2016, 11:42 PM
Hi Nate152;
I won`t have a chance to try this tonight. I think I`ll be able to tomorrow.
On question though. I installed Windows the first time exactly how you said to do it. I unplugged the HDD and in the UEFI BIOS I set the BD player to first priority (boot) and the SSD second and HDD third priority. (even though it was unplugged) Then installed Windows. After Windows was installed, I went back into BIOS and changed the SSD first priority, HDD second, and BD player third.
So, I think something went wrong, or I did`nt do something right during Windows install. I don`t know what I could have done, and there is a possibility I may do it again. Also the original problem that I posted about at the beginning of post may even come back.
So, I`ll try re-installing Windows again tomorrow night and I`ll post back how it went.
There are programs and software already saved on the SSD. Will all of it be erased during the formatting and re-installation? I don`t want there to be traces of software scattered on the drive.

Is it possible that by unplugging the HDD during Windows install, Windows was not able to configure and format the HDD and therefore merged it with the C: drive creating CDFS?

Nate152
07-20-2016, 11:52 PM
Windows 10 should install all the necessary drivers, at least it does for me when I do the free upgrade.

After installing windows (if all goes well) check in device manager for any yellow triangles or unknown devices, if you don't see any you should be good to go.

You are doing a UEFI install correct?

Not_Enough_Rage
07-21-2016, 12:52 AM
You are doing a UEFI install correct?

By that you mean setting the boot priority thru UEFI and save, then restart with disc in BD player, right?

I thought the chipset drivers come from the Asus support disc. After I installed Windows, I installed the drivers that were on that disc, plus the Asus apps.

Nate152
07-21-2016, 12:58 AM
Yeah to do a UEFI install select your BD player with UEFI in front of it, it should be listed twice one with UEFI and one without. If you get the unauthorized changes in windows, firmware error click on secure boot and select other OS.

Then after windows installs select "windows boot manager" as boot priority 1.

It's easy to do and should go smooth, is there any way you can get on here with another pc while installing windows ?

Not_Enough_Rage
07-21-2016, 01:46 AM
, is there any way you can get on here with another pc while installing windows ?

Yea, I still have my old computer.

Nate152
07-21-2016, 02:02 AM
Great !

You can tell us how it's going as you're doing it. :)

Not_Enough_Rage
07-21-2016, 09:58 PM
In BIOS now, but I clicked on the BD drive in boot override and now the BD drive is gone from boot list!! :mad:

Nate152
07-21-2016, 10:06 PM
You shouldn't have to use the boot override, use boot priority 1.

Hit F5 in the bios this will reset to defaults, does this bring your BD drive back?

Not_Enough_Rage
07-21-2016, 10:09 PM
No, it did`nt bring it back.
I hit the key by accident. Mouse is so slow and hard to navigate.

Nate152
07-21-2016, 10:23 PM
OK, shut down your pc and clear the cmos with the button on the back, it should be the button with a green circular arrow, hold it for 3 seconds then boot into the bios.

Is it showing there now?

Not_Enough_Rage
07-21-2016, 10:40 PM
Ok, it`s back!

Nate152
07-21-2016, 10:52 PM
Great !

Now in Boot Priority 1 select it with UEFI in front of it then F10 and Enter to save and exit, while rebooting it will ask you to press any key on the keyboard.

Then click drive options and delete/format your drive. Don't make any partitions, windows will take care of that.

Not_Enough_Rage
07-21-2016, 11:00 PM
Great !

Now in Boot Priority 1 select it with UEFI in front of it ......

I lost you here. Do you mean that I put the BD drive as priority? It is now boot option #1. In other words the optical drive is at the top now.
If this is what you mean, then now I save by F10, insert windows disc and re-boot?

Nate152
07-21-2016, 11:04 PM
Yes insert the windows installation disk before rebooting, does it show UEFI in front of your BD drive?

Not_Enough_Rage
07-21-2016, 11:05 PM
No sir, I don`t see where it say`s UEFI in front.

Nate152
07-21-2016, 11:09 PM
Ok your drive must not be UEFI compatible which is fine just select it as boot option 1, insert the installation disk then hit F10 and enter.

It will say press any key to boot from CD drive after rebooting.

Not_Enough_Rage
07-21-2016, 11:18 PM
Ok, Im at a windows screen that says "install now", and down the bottom it says "repair your computer".

Before that it was just a language selection.

Nate152
07-21-2016, 11:20 PM
Click install now, then click advanced drive options and delete all the partions, then click format and continue.

Not_Enough_Rage
07-21-2016, 11:31 PM
If I hit install now, maybe the delete/format option will come up?

Disregard that .

Not_Enough_Rage
07-21-2016, 11:41 PM
Ok, now for the part where I think I messed before.

I`m at "where do you want to install windows".

Drive 0 Partition 1: System Reserved 500MB System
Drive 0 Partition 2 465.3 GB Primary
Drive 1 Partition 1 128.0 MB MSR (Reserved)
Drive 1 Unallocated Space 934.4 GB

My SSD is 500GB
HDD is 1TB

I know that my SSD is port 0

Don`t know what to do from here.

Nate152
07-21-2016, 11:49 PM
Sorry for the late reply I just installed windows 7 myself and did the free upgrade to windows 10.

Delete all the partitions it will let you until only your ssd is left then click format and continue, don't worry you can't mess this up it won't let you delete your drive.

NemesisChild
07-21-2016, 11:52 PM
Not to confuse matters, but why aren't you doing a UEFI installation of wiindows?

Not_Enough_Rage
07-21-2016, 11:55 PM
It will not delete two;

Drive 0 Unallocated Space 465.8 GB
Drive 1 Unallocated Space 931.5GB

Nate152
07-21-2016, 11:57 PM
Ok the 465.8GB won't delete but the 931.5GB should, please try again.

Do you have your 1TB HDD disconnected?

Not_Enough_Rage
07-22-2016, 12:00 AM
Nope. When I click on it, the delete button will not highlight. :(

No, I forgot.

Not_Enough_Rage
07-22-2016, 12:02 AM
Uh, oh!
The PC just started installing windows by itself now.

Nate152
07-22-2016, 12:02 AM
OK, turn off your pc and disconnect the 1TB drive and press any key when you start it back up.

You might want to cancel the installation just so we know everything goes smooth and is installed on the ssd.

NemesisChild - Apparently his optical drive doesn't support UEFI, he said it doesn't show with UEFI in front of it in the boot options.

Not_Enough_Rage
07-22-2016, 12:13 AM
Ok, I`m going to go to where we left off with it, correct?

Not_Enough_Rage
07-22-2016, 12:16 AM
Well ,this time the only thing left is;

Drive 0 Unallocated Space 465.8GB

Nate152
07-22-2016, 12:16 AM
That is what we want If you've clicked format, please continue.

Not_Enough_Rage
07-22-2016, 12:20 AM
The only thing I can click on is;
refresh
Load driver
New

this stupid caption thing......

Nate152
07-22-2016, 12:22 AM
Click New and continue.

Not_Enough_Rage
07-22-2016, 12:24 AM
It`s asking for size _____MB

Right now the numbers in there say 476938MB

Nate152
07-22-2016, 12:27 AM
OK windows 10 might be a little different than windows 7 when installing. For windows 7 the size is listed with two little arrows, click the top arrow and make sure the number can't go any higher then continue.

Does this work for you?

Not_Enough_Rage
07-22-2016, 12:32 AM
Ok, they did`nt go any higher.
Now a new window came up.

Drive 0 Partition 1: Recovery 450.0 MB Recovery
Drive 0 Partition 2 100.0 MB System
Drive 0 Partition 3 16.0MB MSR (Reserved)
Drive 0 Paertition 4 465.2GB Primary

Nate152
07-22-2016, 12:38 AM
Yeah that's windows creating the partitions, you can delete them until just one partition is showing and start the installation, windows will create them again.

Not_Enough_Rage
07-22-2016, 12:39 AM
All of them?

Only one cannot be deleted.

Drive 0 Unallocated Space 465.8GB

Also no clickable button for that last one, except for "NEW"

Update; The last one did not delete and clicking new did not bring them up again, so I clicked install. Windows is installing.

Nate152
07-22-2016, 12:40 AM
Yes all but your ssd then start the installation.

Not_Enough_Rage
07-22-2016, 01:09 AM
Windows is installed now.
I`m going to shut it down again and re-connect the HDD and change boot priority to SSD.
Then see if it connects to internet.

Oh, I forgot about the chipset drivers. i still need to insert the Asus support disc for it to connect, right?

Currently there are no yellow flags in device manager, except for the Ethernet Controller and related drivers for internet.
I think these came from the Asus disc.

Nate152
07-22-2016, 01:14 AM
All right,

If it doesn't connect you'll want to get the motherboard DVD and install the LAN driver ONLY first. Mine has WiFi as yours might too, I disable that and Bluetooth in the bios, advanced tab, onboard device configuration.

Let me know when you get the LAN driver installed and wifi and Bluetooth disabled. (that is if you don't use them)

Not_Enough_Rage
07-22-2016, 01:39 AM
Nate,

The boot priorities in BIOS is different now. When you were asking about UEFI in front of the BD drive- it`s there now. And another boot option popped up;
Windows Boot Manager (P1: Samsung SSD EVO 500GB)
I don`t know which one to choose as priority #1;

Windows Boot Manager (P1 Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB) or is it
P1; Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (476940 MB)

There are five boot options.

Nate152
07-22-2016, 01:43 AM
Select "windows boot manager".

You did a UEFI install. :)

Not_Enough_Rage
07-22-2016, 01:51 AM
Okay this what the boot options look like in this order.

Boot option #1 Windows Boot manager (P1 Samsung.........
Boot Option #2 P2: WDC ...... HDD
Boot option #3 P4 BD drive
Boot option #4 P1: UEFI BD drive
Boot option #5 P1; Samsung SSD

Nate152
07-22-2016, 01:54 AM
That looks good, as long as windows boot manager is set to boot option 1 hit F10 and Enter. Let me know if you get the error message with unauthorized changes to windows and firmware.

Not_Enough_Rage
07-22-2016, 02:31 AM
Connected to internet. Ran updates. No yellow flags in device manager. Everything seems good so far.
Can I now start installing other software and device drivers?
Anything else I should do first?

Nate152
07-22-2016, 02:35 AM
No yellow triangles in device manager is great !

Let's see what Nvidia driver was installed, right click on the desktop the first time you open it, it will show the driver, is it 368.39 or 368.81?

Not_Enough_Rage
07-22-2016, 02:44 AM

I`ll go to GeForce and download latest.

Nate152
07-22-2016, 02:47 AM
yes but do a custom advanced install, after the license agreement select custom (advanced) install. Uncheck everything except the graphics driver and PhysX driver then check the only box that says perform a clean installation and continue.

368.81 is the latest NVidia driver.

Not_Enough_Rage
07-22-2016, 03:18 AM
Ok, display driver is the latest. Everything is working great so far. Even the problem of the Intel ME driver I posted about is fixed.
All that is left is to update the rest of the device drivers and some tweaking.
I`m gonna have to sign off for now, or I won`t get up at 4:00 AM for work. I want to thank you and Mean Machine for all your help. You guys have been patient with me, and I can`t thank you guys enough.
I`ll be in touch soon. :cool:;)

THANK YOU!!!

Nate152
07-22-2016, 03:23 AM
You're welcome :)

Come back tomorrow and we'll check some other things.

Good Night Not_Enough_Rage.

Not_Enough_Rage
07-22-2016, 02:45 PM
Nate;

Just before I was about to shut down the PC last night, I checked to see if there were any more Updates that needed to be downloaded. The update showed that there were 7 updates that could not be installed at this time, check again later. Two of the seven updates are for the Intel ME Interface. :eek:
I then checked the Device Manager again, and the yellow triangle was back for the ME Interface. I believe that this time it is because Updates did`nt install it. When I get home tonight, I`ll see if it will download and install.

Nate152
07-23-2016, 01:41 AM
All right

Yeah normally when you don't have the MEI driver installed there will be a yellow triangle by "PCI Simple Communications Controller".

Check again and see if that's what it is, let me know what it shows.

Not_Enough_Rage
07-23-2016, 02:35 AM
There is just a yellow triangle on the Intel Management Interface and the Network Controller under Other Devices.

The ME driver details are -This device cannot start. (Code 10)

The Network Controller details are-The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

There are no compatible drivers for this device.

Windows update failed to update these drivers. I saw them last night. And they still would not download and install today. There were 7 updates that did not install.

Nate152
07-23-2016, 03:15 AM
Hey welcome back !

I'm using the maximus viii formula and I just upgraded to windows 10 and in device manager I don't see "Other Devices". I just checked the downloads page and there is only one chipset and one MEI driver so you have the latest ones on the disk.

Try installing the chipset driver and the MEI driver from the motherboard disc, maybe it will install this way or give you some kind of message.

Do you have anything connected to your pc besides the mouse and keyboard?

Not_Enough_Rage
07-23-2016, 04:07 AM
Besides the USB keyboard and USB mouse, I have 5.1 speakers hooked up.
I`ll let you know what happens from using the disc.

Not_Enough_Rage
07-23-2016, 05:21 AM
http://i.imgur.com/vhMg9psh.png

Now, I get this error every time I start PC. :mad: It happened after I installed some programs from Asus disc.

Nate152
07-23-2016, 04:26 PM
Oh boy, it doesn't seem to be getting any better and I'm not sure what happened so let's start over and reinstall windows, it's not a big deal since you don't have much installed. What I find strange is everything was fine with no yellow triangles after the windows updates.

After installing windows check device manager, if all is well restart it and check for updates and device manager.

From the motherboard disc only install the LAN driver, sonic studio II and CPU-z, you can install any other drivers if needed. The only ones I install are the LAN driver, sonic studio II and the aura lighting control.

Let's start over and try again, you can let the 1TB hdd connected to delete anything on it then disconnect it before installing windows. I'm wondering if maybe some drivers are going to the wrong drive, after deleting it let it disconnected for now.

Not_Enough_Rage
07-23-2016, 05:51 PM
The error that keeps popping up is from the SpyBot antivirus and spyware program that I have installed. This happened after re-installing it when we did the Windows reinstall. It was fine the first time I had it on the system. I contacted SpyBot. They will tell me by Monday on what to do to fix it.

I just disabled the ME driver. I cannot find any thing about what it does or what it is for. It is not affecting the computer, so I thought the heck with it and disabled it.

The other thing I am dis-satisfied with is the BD player either takes too long to auto play the discs, or just does not do anything.

If we start over with re-installing Windows, does this leave pieces of data scattered on the drive? When I open Disk Manager there are 4 unmarked partitions. Looks like 2 of the same things.
I`m wondering if it will be better if I just buy a new SSD and start over.

Nate152
07-23-2016, 06:09 PM
Thank You

No you don't need a new ssd, if spybot is causing problems try uninstalling it. Asus gives you a free year of Kaspersky antivirus which is on the motherboard disc, it's better than spybot too.

You don't need the MEI driver it's only needed if you use ai suite which I don't use but it should still install.

Try uninstalling spybot and see if it's any better.

Not_Enough_Rage
07-23-2016, 09:10 PM
I just don`t understand this thing. I was going to download CPU-Z and it downloads to Disk Management again and creates a CDFS. Anything I try to download, it asks to open or save to something I don`t know what it is or recognize.
Programs will not even uninstall from the control panel.
Looks like this computer is a $4000 dollar paper weight. :mad::mad:

Nate152
07-23-2016, 11:40 PM
If you've uninstalled spybot and are still having problems let's start over with a windows reinstall, delete the 1 TB drive then disconnect it and leave it disconnected.

Disable the WiFi in the bios before installing windows if you're not using it, I'm hard wired myself I don't use anything wireless.

Once windows installs Install only the LAN driver, do not install anything else just yet.

If you need help reinstalling windows just say so or you can go back previously on our chat page.

You have an awesome pc and will be working properly I promise. I have the Matrix Platinum 980 Ti, when we get your pc working right we should put ours head to head in a performance test. :)

But yes clean the 1TB drive and disconnect it for now, install windows, install the LAN driver, update windows and check device manager.

Give us an update when you get to this point.

Not_Enough_Rage
07-24-2016, 12:14 AM
Ok, well, here I go . How do I delete what`s on the HDD?

Nate152
07-24-2016, 12:20 AM
Delete it like the ssd in the advanced drive options, then turn off your pc and disconnect it, fire back up and install windows.

Not_Enough_Rage
07-24-2016, 12:25 AM
We did`nt delete the SSD. Just copied right over it. I don`t know where to find the advanced drive option.

Nate152
07-24-2016, 12:26 AM
It's on the windows installation disc, right before installation you'll get the advanced drive options.

Delete both drives.

Not_Enough_Rage
07-24-2016, 12:39 AM
you got me confused on above post where you said to delete what`s on the HDD and disconnect it when installing W10. To delete HDD, then it has to stay plugged in during W10 install, right?

Nate152
07-24-2016, 12:42 AM
yes in the advanced drive options delete both the ssd and hdd, this will wipe them clean. Then turn off your pc and disconnect the 1TB hdd and leave it disconnected for now.

Then fire up your pc and install windows with only the ssd.

Not_Enough_Rage
07-24-2016, 12:51 AM
Where do I find in BIOS to disable all WiFi and Bluetooth?
Also do set priority to Windows Boot Manager?

Wait it`s already set windows boot manager priority 1

I set priority 1 to the BD drive, correct?

Nate152
07-24-2016, 01:04 AM
To disable wifi and Bluetooth, in the bios go to advanced tab, onboard device configuration.

Yes set the BD drive as boot option 1 then F10 and Enter, it reboots then press any key and windows loads files, click Install now then you'll be at the advanced drive options.

Not_Enough_Rage
07-24-2016, 01:15 AM
Never saw the advanced drive option.
I`m at the Set up window- "where do you want to install windows?"

Nate152
07-24-2016, 01:17 AM
What options is it giving you?

Not_Enough_Rage
07-24-2016, 01:24 AM
Either Delete, Format, Refresh, or Load Driver =

Drive 0 Partition 1: Recovery
Drive 0 Partition 2
Drive 0 Partition 3
Drive 0 Partition 4
Drive 1 Partiton1: Recovery
Drive 1 Partition 2
Drive 1 Partition 3
Drive 1 Partition 4

There is nothing about advanced drive options.

Nate152
07-24-2016, 01:26 AM
Ok that's what we want, delete everything you can on both drives.

Not_Enough_Rage
07-24-2016, 01:31 AM
Ok, there are two that could not be deleted-

Drive 0 Unallocated Space
Drive 1 Unallocated Space

Nate152
07-24-2016, 01:33 AM
OK, shut down your pc and disconnect the 1TB drive, fire back up and start installing windows.

Not_Enough_Rage
07-24-2016, 01:42 AM
Ok, did all you said. Back to where to install W10.
It says ;
Drive 0 Unallocated Space 465.8Gb

I`m guessing I hit "New" correct?

BTW, Seems like there is still stuff on the SSD since it says 465GB?

Nate152
07-24-2016, 01:49 AM
All drives show a lower capacity than what they are and this is normal but to make sure everything is off of it delete it and format it, you can click new and click the up arrow until the number doesn't go any higher.

Then install windows.

Not_Enough_Rage
07-24-2016, 01:52 AM
The only thing it will allow me to do is click NEW.
Did that and the highest size is: 476939MB.
Clicking NEW now.

Update; after clicking Apply, a window popped that says; To ensure that all Windows features work correctly, Windows might create additional partitions for system files.
Should I click OK?

Nate152
07-24-2016, 01:56 AM
Ok once it's at the highest it will go, start the installation.

Not_Enough_Rage
07-24-2016, 02:00 AM
It created a new partition.

Drive 0 Partition 1: System Reserved 500MB

It can be deleted or format.

W10 can`t be installed on it anyway, so I guess we delete it?

Nate152
07-24-2016, 02:02 AM
you can delete it but windows will probably create it again.

Not_Enough_Rage
07-24-2016, 02:07 AM
It says;
This partition might contain important files or applications from your computer manufacturer. If you delete this partitio, any data stored will be lost.

We can delete it or leave it,, then click next?

Nate152
07-24-2016, 02:10 AM
That's ok delete it off of there, you're starting fresh.

Not_Enough_Rage
07-24-2016, 02:17 AM
Strange..... It deleted, but brought up the same, except this time it does`nt say Reserved.

What`s on there now is

Drive 0 Unallocated Space 500MB
Drive 0 Partition 1 465.3 GB

Drive 0 Partition 1 can be delted or format. Drive 0 Unallocated, can only click new.

Nate152
07-24-2016, 02:18 AM
Yep ! :)

Not_Enough_Rage
07-24-2016, 02:23 AM
Sorry, what do I do?

Nate152
07-24-2016, 02:24 AM
Click next or install.

Not_Enough_Rage
07-24-2016, 02:26 AM
It`s installing now.

Nate152
07-24-2016, 02:30 AM
OK great !

Get the motherboard disc ready to install the LAN driver after windows installs.

Not_Enough_Rage
07-24-2016, 02:49 AM
Windows is finished setting up.

Do I still eave HDD unplugged and BIOS in UEFI while I install LAN from MB?

Nate152
07-24-2016, 02:53 AM
If windows is done installing go into the bios and set windows boot manager as boot option 1 then F10 and Enter.

Boot to windows and install the LAN driver.

Not_Enough_Rage
07-24-2016, 03:01 AM
Windows Boot Manager is not there!!
It`s just the SSD and The BD Drive. HDD is still unplugged.

Place the SSD as #1?

Nate152
07-24-2016, 03:07 AM
Yes apparently you didn't do a UEFI install.

It's ok we can let it slide if you want and set the ssd as boot option 1. You can always do it again at another time, you should have the hang of it after doing it twice. :)

Set the ssd as boot option 1 and let the HDD unplugged, boot to windows and install the Lan driver.

Not_Enough_Rage
07-24-2016, 03:43 AM
LAN only is installed.
Windows went through it`s updates.
ME Interface still has yellow flag. :( Everything else is clear. I do wish to use AI Suite.

Nate152
07-24-2016, 03:47 AM
All right,

Try installing the MEI driver from the motherboard disk, I got my fingers crossed it installs.

Not_Enough_Rage
07-24-2016, 03:53 AM
The MB disc has already installed the ME Interface, and the Realtek Audio Driver!!!

I am certain that all I had checked was the LAN.

Nate152
07-24-2016, 03:56 AM
All right well if it installed I don't know why it's showing not installed in device manager, what happens if you try to right click on it and update it?

Not_Enough_Rage
07-24-2016, 04:01 AM
It says;

The best driver software for your device is already installed.

The fail message is;
This device cannot start (Code 10)

Nate152
07-24-2016, 04:11 AM
All right then I wouldn't worry about it.

Install sonic studio II, cpu-z and a good cpu temp monitoring program and a game and check your cpu temps.

Real temp 3.70 is a good program to use.

https://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2089/real-temp-3-70

I have to go for now but I'll be on sometime in the AM tomorrow, you can tell me if you get any errors while installing any of these and we'll continue tomorrow, you can tell me your cpu temps too.

Don't install spybot, you can install kaspersky from the motherboard disc.

I'll be waiting for a report and see you tomorrow, good night. :)

Not_Enough_Rage
07-24-2016, 04:18 AM
Ok, I`ll be back on in the afternoon.

Not_Enough_Rage
07-24-2016, 06:51 PM
Hey Nate152;

Just want to give an update on what changes or happens each time W10 is re-installed. First, I want to thank you for help and time in trying to fix this issue.

1) On this last re-install, the HDD did not register in BIOS or in Disk Management. I don`t think the drive should be unplugged during W10 install.

2) The drives in the UEFI Boot Priority is different every time we do a re-install. On the second re-install we did, when W10 finished installing, the BIOS showed a Windows Boot Manager on the SSD. When we tried to re-install the third time it was gone, and there was no UEFI setting to choose from in all three re-installs.

3) The yellow triangle flag in the Device Manager comes up on the Intel Management Engine Interface right when W10 finishes installing. I have seen the ME driver along with other Intel Chip set drivers get downloaded in the Updates, but it does not correct the driver. One of the drivers for the chip set could not be installed, according to Updates.

4) Every time I download something it creates a CD- Rom drive in CDFS format. The download cannot be executed. Also I don`t see anything that is recognizable to open or save a download to. The choices seem to an outside program, such as TWINUI, or DAEMON.

5) Whenever I insert a disc in the BD drive, it takes too long for the prompt to come up. Some times it does not appear at all. I have the Auto Play set for all discs.

My guess of the causes to these problems (every ones input and solution here is welcome) might be that I need to update the BIOS for my MB. And the ME driver may be a problem with Intel or Asus.
As for why the drive format keeps changing after every re-install, I don`t have a clue. Maybe I should just get a new SSD and start fresh again. Maybe it`s something I`m doing wrong, or again, could it be because of the older BIOS version?

Nate152
07-24-2016, 07:59 PM
All right

Open up command prompt as an administrator and type sfc /scannow, let a space between sfc and / and press enter. This will detect any errors and attempt to fix them or may install any necessary drivers.

You may try a bios update as well. Format a usb flashdrive to FAT32 and rename the bios file to M8E.CAP

Here is a guide you can follow, this is for the bios flashback method.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1142-How-to-use-ASUS-ROG-USB-BIOS-Flashback

Not_Enough_Rage
07-24-2016, 09:44 PM
scannow test is still good.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

I`ll work on that flash drive asap.

Thanks.

Nate152
07-24-2016, 10:47 PM
You're welcome

Can you post me a screenshot of your device manager?

Click the pic a few times to make it bigger.

Not_Enough_Rage
07-26-2016, 02:36 AM
Here`s a screen shot of my Device Driver showing the flag on the ME driver.

http://i.imgur.com/Cv4c0nBh.jpg

Nate152
07-26-2016, 02:54 AM
Thank you for the screenshot of your device manager. I don't know why it would be showing that when the MEI driver is installed, normally when the MEI driver isn't installed you'll have a yellow triangle by " PCI Simple Communications controller". I didn't have to install any drivers from the motherboard disc before or after upgrading to windows 10.

And you say sfc /scannow showed all was well.

Try running this Intel driver update utility and see if it finds anything.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html?iid=dc_iduu

Not_Enough_Rage
07-26-2016, 12:56 PM
The Intel driver utility says it cannot find a matching driver for my system.

Would there be something wrong with MB or out of date BIOS version?

Nate152
07-26-2016, 01:39 PM
It's possible a bios update could fix it and was my next suggestion. :)

Format a usb flash drive to FAT32 and rename the bios file to M8E.CAP

Let's hope this fixes it.

Nate152
07-26-2016, 01:44 PM
A bios update might fix it and was my next suggestion.

Format a usb flash drive to FAT32 and rename the bios file to M8E.CAP

This is for the bios flash back method.

Not_Enough_Rage
07-27-2016, 12:12 AM
Hey Nate152;

I`ll post back when I get the flash drive formatted. some days I`m so tired after work, that most times I have to wait until the weekend to do stuff.
I found some video`s that are helpful to me. It`s interesting on one video that shows how much faster he got the POST to finish. And notice the part where he does`nt delete anything where he installs Windows. He says there should be four partitions for the SSD. He says this is a good indication that you are doing a UEFI boot.

(https://youtu.be/amwujljr7pY)https://youtu.be/amwujljr7pY

Another video. My 1TB drive does not do anything.

(https://youtu.be/amwujljr7pY)https://youtu.be/qMo8krAJd5Q

Could this be why I can`t get UEFI boot

(https://youtu.be/amwujljr7pY)https://youtu.be/y8Ml1IbVp-8

(https://youtu.be/amwujljr7pY)

Nate152
07-27-2016, 01:12 AM
In the bios on the boot tab you select UEFI with your BD player (your BD player should be listed twice one with UEFI in front of it and one without) then restart your pc and install windows. I always delete the partitions and I don't think it matters as windows creates new partitions anyway, you just want to be sure the drive is clean.

You didn't do a UEFI install this time if you don't see "windows boot manager" in the boot options list, we can do it again if you want.

After you update the bios check device manager to see if IME is cleared up.

I got my fingers crossed. :)

Not_Enough_Rage
07-30-2016, 01:56 PM
Hi Nate152;
Sent you a PM. Was wondering if that is why I don`t see the UEFI boot when installing W10?

Nate152
07-30-2016, 02:26 PM
Thank you,

I got your PM and replied, you can reply here after checking the boot options.

I still don't know why your IME has a yellow mark, my IME in device manager shows ok.

Maybe one of the updates it was trying to install would fix it.

Not_Enough_Rage
07-31-2016, 10:16 PM
I figured out why I could not do a UEFI Windows install!!!!
This should be in the hall of shame as the biggest rookie mistake of all time.
I did`nt have the Windows DVD in the drive before going into BIOS to choose the UEFI install.
I was looking for UEFI install by going into BIOS first. :o:o

Nate152
07-31-2016, 10:19 PM
All right !

Now that that's sorted let's get windows installed in UEFI mode. :)