PDA

View Full Version : Asus G60VX Random FPS Drop problems while playing games

LLCoolKris
12-29-2011, 08:16 AM
Hi everyone, I bought my Asus G60VX laptop about two years ago, and it's been working great for me so far.

Though I've recently had problems earlier this year where I'd be playing a game, and the FPS would drop from 60FPS to around 10-20 for awhile. I don't know the cause and it'd happen for some short amount of time, 5 minutes maybe 10. Then it'd go back to normal, to only happen again later while playing.

This has been happening in games like League Of Legends, Dungeon Defenders, Counter Strike Source, etc.

Before hand I've been able to run pretty much every game at high settings, so I don't think it's a problem with my graphics card since I could run Crysis and other high demanding games on highest.

Specs:

Asus G60VX
Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo 2.13 GHz processor
4GB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M graphics card

If you need any other information, please let me know. I've ignored this from earlier this year until now, but it's starting to really annoy me now. Much appreciated.

xeromist
12-29-2011, 05:34 PM
This sounds like something may be running in the background? Look at what software loads on startup. Also review your choice of anti-virus. I used to use AVG but it got so bloated that I've switched to Avast and been very happy.

LLCoolKris
12-29-2011, 06:52 PM
This sounds like something may be running in the background? Look at what software loads on startup. Also review your choice of anti-virus. I used to use AVG but it got so bloated that I've switched to Avast and been very happy.

Well when I play games I only have ventrilo running, the steam client, and windows live messenger. & They have all worked fine previously in the years when I used this laptop. Also use Kaspersky antivirus.

I googled & didn't find many results on anyone else with my laptop's same problem, but there was one that mentioned power4gear being the problem. Do you know if this is known to mess around with anything?

It's currently on maximum performance(pretty sure it always has been though) With the maximum processor state at 100% and the minimum at 5%.

xeromist
12-29-2011, 07:48 PM
If you aren't using the performance toggling of PG4 then I would just uninstall it. One less thing to worry about. If this has started recently and you haven't made too many changes to your configuration then you could try going back to a previous system restore point (if you have one).

The problem is that many pieces of software automatically update themselves so it may not be anything that you explicitly changed. That's why I advised reviewing your startup items and possibly trying a different AV.

Also, the intermittent nature doesn't really point to a heat issue but if you haven't cleaned your vents lately some compressed air couldn't hurt.

LLCoolKris
12-30-2011, 01:10 AM
I'll more than likely uninstall Power4Gear then because other than when I got the laptop 2 years ago, I don't touch it at all.

I checked my startup items and I don't have that much running.

My Steam client for the games I play,
MSN Messenger
Things that Asus needs to run as far as I've checked out from looking it up (touchpad related I believe)
iTuneshelper for my Itunes.
My anti virus
Malware Bytes
And the driver/settings for my Razer mouse.

My laptop used to be on glass(my desk is glass) back when I had no problems. I'm not 100% sure since it was a bit ago(you get used to changes in your room) But my arm getting stuck on the glass started to bother me, so I bought a mat to put down on the table. I'm also not 100% sure of the material, but I think it's vinyl. It's pretty thin, but I wasn't sure if that would cause any overheating during play. I might try finding out a way to elevate it a little bit if you have no other suggestions.

EDIT: I just downloaded SpeedFan to check my temperatures. And I'm pretty sure these are alarming temperatures for the most part. I don't understand everything but it lists a few temperatures

GPU: 94C
HD0: 43C(only low one)
Temp1: 74C
Core 0: 63C
Core 1: 64C

This is me just on the internet with several tabs. Not sure how I can get these down.

xeromist
12-30-2011, 05:31 PM
That's not entirely unusual for a mobile GPU, but it's not good. I would see about cleaning it and if it doesn't sound scary you might consider repasting the GPU. Sometimes paste just gets old.

LLCoolKris
12-31-2011, 06:48 AM
I haven't had any problems with FPS today at all, so I'm just going out on a limb & saying it's solved.

I'm also going to assume it was Power4Gear over me dusting my fan off, because I generally keep my laptop/laptop area clean. Also because there has been another place or two after googling my problem where someone says all they had to do was uninstall power4gear.

xeromist
12-31-2011, 08:27 AM
Laptops ingest dust from the air. Periodic cleaning is a good idea even if the work surface is cleaned. Given your high temps it certainly couldn't hurt to try.

LLCoolKris
12-31-2011, 09:38 AM
Yeah I still cleaned it out, either way I'm almost sure my problem is fixed. Thanks for all of your help and I'll definitely return if I have any problems in the future!