PDA

View Full Version : Purchased a G73 with 6gigs of ram, showing 2gigs installed? What gives?

riptyde4
12-06-2010, 06:02 AM
I bought a g73 from circuit city about a month ago with 6gigs of 1333mhz ddr3 ram installed. It's only showing 2.00 gigs of installed ram on the "My Computer" properties window, but the BIOS is showing 6144mb of RAM installed, confirming that the ram sticks are working properly....Why isnt Windows recognizing the full 6 gigs? I'm running the 64 bit windows 7.

riptyde4
12-06-2010, 06:07 AM
I read somewhere about enabling Memory Remapping? How would I go about doing this?

MarkS
12-06-2010, 07:07 PM
You could try re-seating the accessible RAM sticks but I bet it won't help.

A small percentage of motherboards have defective RAM slot(s) and need to be replaced. I had one of them myself.

Unless you specifically limited RAM use in the operating system, it's pretty unlikely you're going to be able to fix this with OS settings.

Good luck! :)

xeromist
12-06-2010, 07:41 PM
When you go into the computer properties window where you see the memory does it say if your windows is 64 bit? It should be but if it is 32 bit then that will limit the amount of memory that you can use. The good news is that having 32 bit windows is fixable without spending any money but will require you to reinstall it.

riptyde4
12-07-2010, 04:06 AM
64 bit unfortunately...guess thats what I get for buying a refurbrished PC and saving like 100$ lol. Where do I start? How do I fix this?

xeromist
12-07-2010, 07:16 AM
For starters I don't trust Windows so download CPU-Z and see how much it says. It's a good tool anyway and it's free.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

If it confirms 2GB then I would start with the BIOS to see if there are any settings related to memory in there. You might even try noting any settings you want to remember (like power/sleep settings) and try resetting it to factory default. If Windows still doesn't see it all then I would move to a self contained Linux boot disc or something of that nature to see if it is an issue with your Windows install.

V2-V3
12-07-2010, 07:19 AM
You will need to contact the plase of purchace and request a replacement notebook, Repair, or refund.

make note that the referbished notebooks only cary a limited warranty, you may want to buy a new notebook so you can take advantage of the full warranty if necessary.

riptyde4
12-07-2010, 08:26 PM
I have CPU-Z already, and it also reads 6144mb of RAM, the same as my BIOS reads. and buying a new notebook is out of the question, this laptop is almost 2 months old, i just realized that it was a problem recently though.

xeromist
12-07-2010, 09:06 PM
In the Windows properties does it just say 2GB installed or does it say 6GB installed (2GB usable)?

I've heard of certain BIOS settings causing memory amounts to show up wrong in Windows but I think that was for desktop boards. Still, it might be worth trying to reset the BIOS to factory defaults or manually tweak the memory settings if you can.

Also, as I mentioned I would try booting with a Linux CD to see how that works. V2-V3 posted this one in another thread:
http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

In the end it's possible that there is an issue with the memory controller which isn't going to be easy to fix in a laptop.

V2-V3
12-07-2010, 10:10 PM
I have CPU-Z already, and it also reads 6144mb of RAM, the same as my BIOS reads. and buying a new notebook is out of the question, this laptop is almost 2 months old, i just realized that it was a problem recently though.

it may be a bios issue that prevents theoperating system from using more than 2GB of memory, I suggest updating your BIOS to the latest available version.

Mark Dano
12-08-2010, 01:59 AM
LOL how is 64bit bad? Its 32bit that has a bad limit of 3.25GB 64bit you can go to 4pb Petabytes of ram 4000TB or 4mill gb of ram

riptyde4
12-08-2010, 02:32 AM
Okay, ill update my bios and then see what happens...but it says 2.00GB Installed, only 19MB is hardware reserved which is what your referring to i believe...while on CPU-Z & in the bios, 6144MB of RAM shows up on the readings.

riptyde4
12-08-2010, 02:34 AM
And i wasn't saying 64-bit is bad, i was saying that I have the 64-bit so it could possibly be a harder fix than this would be if it happened on a 32-bit.

riptyde4
12-08-2010, 09:06 PM
Updated my BIOS to the more recent 209 version, rather than the 211 because I don't have a spare flash drive to set up as FAT32....Now my BIOS AND Windows 7 are displaying that I have 2048MB of RAM & CPU-Z Still says I have 6144MB of RAM. It's all Kingston PC3-10700 667MHZ....part # ASU1333D3S9DR8/2G

MarkS
12-08-2010, 10:11 PM
Updated my BIOS to the more recent 209 version, rather than the 211 because I don't have a spare flash drive to set up as FAT32....Now my BIOS AND Windows 7 are displaying that I have 2048MB of RAM & CPU-Z Still says I have 6144MB of RAM. It's all Kingston PC3-10700 667MHZ....part # ASU1333D3S9DR8/2G

Not sure where you got the idea that updating to 211 requires something different than updating to 209. If using WinFlash then there's a newer version that should be used, otherwise there shouldn't be a difference.

Anyhow...

Have you tried removing the two accessible RAM sticks? What happens then? Then add one back at a time. Different? Try different slots, different order, etc.

Like I mentioned before, I've been through this one. The problem is a known issue - Asus knows about it, and so do resellers. It was a reseller who first brought it to my attention (and not even the one I bought from).

If you have any warranty to use I would use it so you can get a new motherboard. Of course, I want to be wrong and I hope you find an easy fix and rub it in my face :), but IMO it is unlikely based on everything I've experienced and read (and I've read EVERY G73 post here and on NotebookReview.com since before this machine shipped).

Some misc. comments about other posts on this thread...Just because the BIOS sees all the RAM does NOT mean the memory hardware is functioning properly. Windows can't be trusted? Windows does not lie about how much RAM it sees, nor does it ignore RAM. Even if you use MSCONFIG to limit the RAM used by Windows, the computer properties will still show the entire amount of RAM installed, along with the amount usable if that's different.

riptyde4
12-10-2010, 02:24 AM
I read somewhere that 211 shouldnt be WinFlash'd....not really sure where. But I tried switching the RAM sticks around and oddly enough, if I move them to different spots when i turn my computer back on it just shows a black screen with the power light on, then after about 5 seconds the fans come on...and it just sits at a black screen...Then I put the RAM back in the regular spots and turned it back on again and it worked perfectly....Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.....

riptyde4
12-10-2010, 02:26 AM
Ill give it another shot when I get time....eventually I'll have to go out and buy another 2g ram stick to test the other slots....the memory itself could be bad as well, and not the motherboard.

V2-V3
12-10-2010, 02:29 AM
Download an ISO of Memtest X86 available here: http://www.memtest.org/

Boot off the CD and it will check your memory for errors, this way you avoid replacing good memory.

an alternative diagnostic method would be to boot off each individual memory stick one at a time and see if any one or two cause the same black screen.
the configuration of your memory modules should not prevent the notebook from booting.

riptyde4
12-14-2010, 11:05 PM
Ill try that now, I opened my laptop up and moved the RAM around, im beginning to lean more towards the fact that my RAM Slots are bad on the motherboard, since it's now recognizing 4gigs when i moved the RAM stick from the bottom slot to the top slot. The top and middle slots seem to be functioning but the bottom and the slot under the motherboard seem to not be recognizing any RAM. Also...Is there a way I can get to the RAM stick under the board?

I called ASUS Support about 3 times and they are of no help whatsoever....horrible support. I purchased the laptop in October, and they are saying my 3 month warranty is expired because its refurbished, which is obviously false because October was only 2 months ago. I was then told I had to fax an invoice to some warranty number .... LMAO.