PDA

View Full Version : does anyone here use virtual desktop software on their g74sx?

AQUASTEVAE
12-29-2011, 11:41 PM
i use finestra virtual desktops on my older hp dv7, and it works flawlessly to give me 10 virtual desktops exactly like my orginal, with my backgrounds changing every 30 seconds. however, with my new asus, when i try to activate finestra, i only get solid white backgrounds. this is very frustrating. any idea's are appreciated.

BrodyBoy
12-30-2011, 12:36 AM
What's a virtual desktop? Is that different from a virtual machine?

AQUASTEVAE
12-30-2011, 03:28 AM
What's a virtual desktop? Is that different from a virtual machine?

a virtual machine is a stand alone software container created to run on virtualized platforms. it has four virtualized resources, the processor, memory, storage and ability to network. but it requires the installation of an Operating System and runs on one or more other applications. a virtual desktop functions very much like a virtual machine, possessing the four key characteristics of compatibility, isolation, encapsulation and hardware independence. but, a virtual desktop contains a pre-configured Operating System and an application stack optimized to provide a specific set of services.

simply put, virtual desktops are virtual copies of your normal desktop. they act and work in the exact same manner, but give you more space to work on different projects without having to close and open, or minimize and restore... etc... if i am working on really big projects, i will use up to ten different desktops at the same time to keep everything organized and running efficiently. it's like having ten monitors hooked to your pc. you can drag and drop different programs on different windows, or just program them to only open in certain desktops.

BrodyBoy
12-30-2011, 04:01 AM
Interesting. I use virtual machines, but never a virtual desktop.

Did you get the issue resolved?

AQUASTEVAE
12-30-2011, 05:44 AM
nope, still researching it. but the earlier driver did at least let me change the speed inside the sentelic program. so that's something. but i need to find out what is conflicting with the mouse properties, that it would continually reset it back to default. if you hear anything let me know. everything else is running beautifully.