PDA

View Full Version : G60vx and linux ubuntu16

924man
09-04-2016, 04:20 AM
Ok so let me start this off by saying im not a hard core pc gamer i mostly game on playstation and have from day 1 and have every playstation. However i have games i want to play on pc so i picked up this one used and plan to upgrade from the 4gigs to 8gigs and put in a 3ghz cpu in it. Right now im running 2 hard drives one with windows vista and one with linux ubuntu 16, now here are my issues im having, on windows i have no video issues, but when i am on linux i have loads of video issues, i also was unable to run linux ubuntu 14 and 15 without the os freezing and when i ran the nvidia drivers for the gpu i was forced to reformat the hard drive a it wouldnt let me get past the login screen. Any help on figuring this out would be great.

petedb
09-06-2016, 09:16 PM
Since Ubuntu kernel 4.4.0-20 the EFI_SECURE_BOOT_SIG_ENFORCE kernel config has been enabled. That prevents from loading unsigned third party modules like the nvidia drivers if UEFI Secure Boot is enabled.

The easiest way to fix this issue is to disable Secure Boot in UEFI (BIOS) settings.

You can also use mokutil. Open a terminal and type

sudo apt install mokutil
sudo mokutil --disable-validation

This won't screw up your windows install