PDA

View Full Version : G752VT Reinstall help…which drivers for B.T. and Wireless?

Slick8791
09-13-2016, 01:04 PM
I'm doing a clean Win 10 install on a G752VT-DH72.

Can anyone help me to understand which Bluetooth and Wireless drivers I need to install?

On the ASUS Support site, I see three different driver manufacturers to pick from: Realtek, Qualcomm & Intel

Which one should I pick? Do I need to install all three?

Gps3dx
09-13-2016, 01:17 PM
use apps like HWINFO (https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php) to understand who is your HW manufacturer of each device.
basically, windows 10 & 8 comes out-of-the-box with drivers for Wifi, BT and many more devices.
I don't recommend to install drivers with UI, since they "eat" many resources ( cpu/ram etc.. ) like the Intel ProSET.
you can extract or get from such manufacturers themself ( like Intel ) the driver ONLY, i.e naked without the UI interface. ( so your UI will be what windows provides you with ).
Also please note that windows 10 aggressively updates the drivers from time to time, WITHOUT LETTING YOU KNOW IN MOST CASES, unless you config him not to do such thing ( which might requires special scripts as the one found in my sticky guide for windows installation - see my signature for a link ).

Slick8791
09-13-2016, 01:40 PM
I don't recommend to install drivers with UI, since they "eat" many resources ( cpu/ram etc.. ) like the Intel ProSET.

Thanks for the reply. If I installed any of the ASUS driver applications on their support page, should I uninstall them? I noticed that the out-of-the-box laptop did not have any Qualcomm applications installed. I did see Realtek and Intel listed

Gps3dx
09-13-2016, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the reply. If I installed any of the ASUS driver applications on their support page, should I uninstall them? I noticed that the out-of-the-box laptop did not have any Qualcomm applications installed. I did see Realtek and Intel listed
Typically and nowadays realtek is your audio driver... and in the last series of ROG laptops (G75X) the wifi card is by Intel.
As I told you, you need to check who is your manufacturer for each device.

to answer your question about "uninstalling" any previously installed driver - if you change driver FOR THE SAME DEVICE - then yes.
But please note that way win10 deals with drivers is a very annoying way...
the sec you uninstall 3rd party driver, "windows updates" "hijack" it and install drivers from "windows update" i.e MS servers.
so, if you want to replace MS drivers or 3rd party driver by another 3rd party driver - YOU MUST STAY OFFLINE FROM THE INTERNET ! ( i.e disable eth/wifi/however else you're connecting to the net )
YOU MUST STAY OFFLINE FROM THE INTERNET, from BEFORE you uninstall the current driver till after you install the new driver ( and in some case even after a final reboot, as various drivers requires reboot to finish their installation, and if internet is ON, during windows boot, windows update hijack the driver and install the one from MS server instead of the manual 3rd party you decided to install )

I hope this clarify that.

Slick8791
09-13-2016, 03:48 PM
I hope this clarify that.

It does make sense and thanks for the help. I was able to do a clean install of Windows 10 and only installed the same ones that were originally listed: Realtek and Intel. So far so good...device manager looks happy and my control panel program lists appears to be the same as before I started (less all the bloatware).

JustinThyme
09-14-2016, 06:22 AM
While I dont condone clean installs.......

The best source for your Intel AC 7260 or 7265 wireless card is on the intel website. The ones on the asus site are old and decrepit.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/intel-wi-fi-products/intel-wireless-7200-series/intel-dual-band-wireless-ac-7260.html