PDA

View Full Version : G751J Cooling Mods

Quadrider10
09-18-2016, 09:40 PM
What's up guys? So after changing my thermal paste 3 times, I found that attic silver 5 works the best. I've tried some generic aluminum stuff and attic silver mx 4 and the AS5 did the best job. I also took out those little mesh covers that are suppose to stop the dust from entering the air intakes on the bottom and undervolted. together along with a custom CPU fan profile this yelled 70c on the gpu and 80c on the CPU max temps. I was wondering if there is anything else I can do to lower the temps even more? I'm almost to the point of drilling 4 intake holes on the bottom of the CPU and GPU fans.

Korth
09-18-2016, 10:57 PM
There's not really much you can do to upgrade the cooling without basically re-engineering and rebuilding the entire cooling system. You could always install bigger and better fan motors, thicker and thirstier heatpipes, bigger blocks of metal with wider mating surfaces, etc. But you'll get increasingly diminishing returns, you'll gain a little more peak performance overhead, you'll add a lot of weight and noise and power drain and cost. Asus did a really good job on this one.

I'd be hesitant about drilling intake holes. It might work, but it's permanent and noticeable, be careful. They may indeed provide more spot-cooling but at the cost of disrupting the "ducted" airflow design built into the chassis plastics. So you might find your CPU temps improve by 10C while your GPU or motherboard temps scream upwards because they're behind dead-air or recirculating-air zones.

You're obviously not worried about frequent disassembly so I don't think dust accumulation will be much of a problem. I doubt those Asus dust filters really do anything useful, anyhow, since in my experience they don't seem to actually stop a dust from getting sucked in, lol. But no dust filters at all means you won't want to be using your laptop near a sawmill, lol.

The biggest source of heat in a laptop is usually the battery. Replace if it's getting elderly. Don't simultaneously charge and discharge it - meaning don't just plug in and keep running games when the battery is in the red, it'll work but it's hard on the battery and makes much heat which is hard on the computing.

The best cooling solution for any laptop is one of these (https://www.google.ca/search?q=laptop+cooling+pad&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=974&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiN4ebCgZrPAhVC4WMKHX5SAWIQ_AUIBigB). Criticize if you must, but if cool laptop is what you want then this works.

brkkab123
09-19-2016, 12:22 AM
Your best bet is to switch to watercooling your cpu. Also E.K.W.B. may sell waterblock to watercool your 2 980's, too. https://www.ekwb.com/

brkkab123
09-19-2016, 12:25 AM
Heres a link for your 980's. https://www.ekwb.com/shop/water-blocks/vga-blocks/full-cover-for-nvidia-geforce/geforce-gtx-9x0-titan-x-series

brkkab123
09-19-2016, 12:31 AM
Sorry disregard my posts, I read the wrong one's spec's.

Quadrider10
09-19-2016, 12:48 AM
lmfao i wish!

i was thinking along the lines of this but i dont think i have the tools necessary to actually do a good job. Thats why i was gonna do 4 simple holes under each fan and then glue that plastic mesh i took off from the bottom on the inside over the holes.
http://www.voltground.com/haven/threads/8/

Quadrider10
09-19-2016, 05:13 AM
Any ideas? I have very minimal tools

Clintlgm
09-19-2016, 01:58 PM
hey shoot a PM off to Dreamonic or search his threads, he as pictures and very good description of how he modded his G75 what you want to do would be quite similar. I can't find a link to that thread but I'm sure he can get you to the information you need to do what you want to do.

httuner
09-19-2016, 04:22 PM
I suggest getting a nice dremel tool to do the cutting_ Measure three times and cut once :D

Quadrider10
09-19-2016, 08:40 PM
I suggest getting a nice dremel tool to do the cutting_ Measure three times and cut once :D

I can't get the tools to do what he did, so I think I'm going to do something where I'll draw a circle about the size of the fan, then drill holes horizontal across the circle from bottom to top. So starting from bottom it would be 1hole, then next line up would be 3, then like 5, etc. I think that would look more professional sice I don't have the tools to do dreamonic mod.

httuner
09-20-2016, 07:02 AM
I can't get the tools to do what he did, so I think I'm going to do something where I'll draw a circle about the size of the fan, then drill holes horizontal across the circle from bottom to top. So starting from bottom it would be 1hole, then next line up would be 3, then like 5, etc. I think that would look more professional sice I don't have the tools to do dreamonic mod.

Honestly; I don't really think you're going to see a huge benefit; On the G752's you can remove that rear clear plastic piece and it'll open up the whole bottom side of the 2 fans to intake in fresh air; When I did that it didn't improve anything at all; in fact I saw temp increases in certain areas of the laptop; warmer keyboard; HDD & NVME drive was hotter; PCH too_ I came to a conclusion that perhaps the bottom cover was designed that way so it'll pull hot air from all inside the laptop out;

I did however notice a -2C cooler on CPU/GPU_ I put the plastic piece back on because -2C wasn't worth everything else heating up; Although your results may be better on the G751

Quadrider10
09-20-2016, 07:07 AM
I'm gonna give it a shot. I think my design allows it still restrictive enough to pull air over the other components. Worse comes to worse, I'll just put electrical tape over what I did on the bottom and it's back to normal. Somewhat.

Quadrider10
09-20-2016, 01:40 PM
Results are in:

PC Info:
Artic Silver 5 Thermal paste
stock cpu clocks
Custom fan profile
1256mhz on GPU core stock voltage
-50mV on CPU
-100mV on cache

Temps playing The Division Pre Mod:
CPU Peak 83C
CPU Average after 100% fan speed 75C

GPU Peak 72C
GPU average 70C

AFter Mods

CPU Peak 76C
CPU average 70C

GPU peak 67C
GPU Average 65C

I will post pics up tomorrow, but as you can see, MAJOR difference! the fan profile i have set up is like stock profile except once it hits 80C. once it does that, the fan kick on at 100% making the cpu fan extremely loud. but lowers the temps a lot. on the second run, the CPU never hit 80C, so fans were running normally like stock.

Quadrider10
09-20-2016, 11:45 PM
Temps playing The Division Pre Mod:

CPU Peak 83C
CPU Average after 100% fan speed 75C

GPU Peak 72C
GPU average 70C

After Mods:

CPU Peak 76C
CPU average 70C

GPU peak 67C
GPU Average 65C

Vyary
09-21-2016, 10:24 AM
What about the temps of motherboard is there any difference?

Quadrider10
09-21-2016, 12:47 PM
dont think so.... maybe a little rise in temps, but not enough to be concerned. all of the important components are under the heat sync. u know, the ones that need to be cooled lol

Quadrider10
09-21-2016, 01:14 PM
I've been playing around with overclocks now, and so far so good. I got CPU on 3 and 4 cores active at 3.5ghz on lower than stock voltage, and I also got the GPU to 1306/5700mhz. GPU never touches 70c and CPU averages around 70c. So working on the GPU. But I think I got a golden GPU chip. I got 1357 working for about 10 mins in a game on stock voltage.

Quadrider10
09-22-2016, 07:00 AM
So after doing this mod, I was able to OC the CPU to 3.5 on all 4 cores, and OC the GPU to 1306/5704mhz on stick voltage. GPU temps hover around 65C and CPU temps hover around 72C with peaks at 75, but then the fan kicks on to 100% and drops it to 65c.

I'm calling this a win.