PDA

View Full Version : BSOD upon internet browsing, but not gaming!?

julian low
12-06-2010, 08:40 PM
Hey all, i'm having a really difficult time with this laptop. (asus g73jh)

First things first, i have flashed bios, vbios and updated all drivers from the asus website.

I get ZERO bsod/gsod or any other errors when i play video games online, including sc2 and WoW.

Unfortunately though, I get BSODs almost every time i surf the internet!

As i said before, updated the lan driver, wireless driver, installed macromedia flash and adobe flash and all sorts of other things to try to fix the issue.

Ran memtest several times from a bootable CD, saw no errors with my ram.

Emailed Asus, and they said to install windows7 64bit again, which i did, but still has problems. And it actually made a new one too, because windows now thinks my version of windows7 is fake. (i used the cdkey from underneath the laptop)

If there is any information anyone has out there to help me with my problem please let me know!

thanks again

MarkS
12-06-2010, 09:11 PM
BSODs can happen because of many many things. Check Windows event logs and the text on the BSOD for more clues.

You can re-activate Windows online or by phone. You own the copy of Windows if it came with a machine you purchased, so there should be zero issues with re-activation.

xeromist
12-06-2010, 09:21 PM
I would try disabling the wireless adapter in the device manager and connecting via an ethernet cable(or vice-versa) to eliminate the network adapter. I know that you said online games don't cause it but the traffic type and pattern is so different that it is hard to confirm that way.

Beyond that, have you tried a different browser? Perhaps one of the plugins that you use is causing a crash or something.

julian low
12-06-2010, 09:26 PM
I have used google chrome, firefox, and internet explorer. All latest versions, still having that problem. I also have tried disabling the wireless adapter. I'm actually really bad with computers, so my housemate is helping me with all this, but he also told me that no information was really given during the bsod. I'm going to try to disable the auto restart so that i can take a better look at the blue screen information. I will also try to check the windows event log! thanks for the info so far guys! always open to more suggestions!

xeromist
12-06-2010, 09:44 PM
Here's a wild idea: try downloading the software below for Folding at Home and get it running on both the CPU and the GPU. Folding is an intensive process and you can use it to load up the CPU and GPU to simulate the loads you might get in more intensive applications like games without actually being in a game. First see if folding causes a crash and then try browsing the internet with a load on the CPU and GPU to see if it makes any difference. I don't know for sure that this will tell you anything but I don't have any other ideas at the moment.

http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?848-FAH-GPU-Tracker-V2-Installation-guide

On a side note, read up on Folding. I'm recommending it here for purely diagnostic reasons and you can uninstall it if you want but it's also a worthy cause.
http://folding.stanford.edu/

V2-V3
12-07-2010, 07:41 AM
One way we can determin if it is a Windows or software/driver issue or a hardware issue is to use a pre boot enviroment disk, I recomend using a linux live disk to check if it crashes when browsing
you can down load Linux Mint in a live disk format here:
http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

burn the disk and boot off it into the Linux operating system, let us know if it continues to have browsing issues.

xeromist
12-07-2010, 04:31 PM
Yeah, that sounds like a better idea Travis. Guess I didn't bring my A game with this one.

V2-V3
12-09-2010, 03:41 AM
Yeah, that sounds like a better idea Travis. Guess I didn't bring my A game with this one.

Atleast you dont have to fix computers all day long :)

xeromist
12-09-2010, 07:19 AM
I used to work a helpdesk but now I do programming.

Mason@ASUS
12-11-2010, 02:24 AM
you said you get the issues when you are surfing the net, but you didn't specify if this was when using wifi, ethernet cable, or maybe it happens regardless of the type of internet connection you're using. just knowing this can help a lot in diagnosing the root cause. their will definitely be errors logged in your event viewer from when the BSODs occurred so if you can check your event viewer and get back to us on that, it will help too. lastly, like xeromist said, travis' suggestion to use a linux boot disk to test for the occurrence of the issue in a pre boot environment is a great idea. let us know what you dig up.

Chastity@ASUS
12-11-2010, 11:53 PM
Uninstall the Trend Micro Internet Security / Antivirus that comes free with the standard installation from Asus. It's buggy, unreliable, and is known to generate BSODs. Honestly, there are better AV packages that Asus could have promoted. As a replacement I would suggest either MS Security Essentials (free), Eset's NOD32 Security Suite, or Norton's (which as of late has gotten some very positive reviews). I use Eset's solution personally.

julian low
12-13-2010, 04:59 PM
sorry about the late responses guys! i had a lot of work going on.. and then i forgot my username/pw and whenever i did the forgot info thing it didnt' seem to work! but i got it now.

As for the laptop, I still had problems with internet when i was using the linux thing. I'll uninstall trendmicro tonight after work, and i'll get back to you guys again!

thanks so much for the help thus far! much appreciated

julian low
12-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Uninstalled trend micro, still having bsod... not sure what else to do

xeromist
12-14-2010, 06:45 PM
If you were having issues in Linux then I don't think this is any kind of software issue. It looks like you have a hardware problem. If you can RMA or send it for repair then you'll want to do that.

Chastity@ASUS
12-15-2010, 05:04 AM
You can also upgrade that Atheros POS wifi mini-card with a proper Intel 6200 or 6300. You get 5GHz support and max transfer rates up to 300mbit, as opposed to 150 with what you have now. And it's not expensive to get. provantage.com carries them.