PDA

View Full Version : Strange line down the middle of my MG279Q - (Resolved)

junker
09-21-2016, 01:13 PM
Hello All,

Since i got an R9 Fury i've been seeing a strange blurry line down the middle of my monitor, and also some lines/flicker down the left side of the monitor. I can be fixed
by changing hz or rebooting, and before you know it.. its back again.

I read in this forum http://www.gpforums.co.nz/threads/513129-Asus-MG279Q-issue/page2 that Nvidia users using the PG279Q saw a similar problem and that is was
fixed with a firmware update:https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...G-SWIFT-PG279Q

Alot of AMD users are seeing the exact same problem with the MG279Q - are Asus aware of this?

See these threads - Apparently it happens mostly when using the Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro - Sapphire denies any problems in their end.

I have that card and i have had i swapped only to see the issue again.

https://community.amd.com/message/2744810
https://community.amd.com/thread/205764

I recorded a few videos of my monitor: see them here: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/pps8u0wao...RJtKzclH4Orkaa

I hope that someone from Asus will comment on this.

Thanks

Morten

Bahz
09-22-2016, 07:15 AM
Hi Morten,

Thank you for reporting this issue.

What happens most of the time is that service teams will test on their platform with similar specifications and may not be able to replicate the issue and isolate that as a single case or issue that occurs only with specific environments that has a conflict caused by hardware or software.

I have already highlighted this issue and I expect them to invest some time to look into this matter. I'll update everyone in this thread once I have information that is confirmed and that I can share.

Thanks,
Bahz

junker
09-22-2016, 10:01 AM
Hi Morten,

Thank you for reporting this issue.

What happens most of the time is that service teams will test on their platform with similar specifications and may not be able to replicate the issue and isolate that as a single case or issue that occurs only with specific environments that has a conflict caused by hardware or software.

I have already highlighted this issue and I expect them to invest some time to look into this matter. I'll update everyone in this thread once I have information that is confirmed and that I can share.

Thanks,
Bahz

Again thank you.. I have informed AMD of this thread and they are monitoring it.

bolru
09-22-2016, 10:55 AM
I have just recorded some video of the issue for me:

https://youtu.be/88sMXurewvI

https://youtu.be/eGQYoalm5Uk
My rig is Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury + MG279Q

I am have been talking to Sapphire support team for a couple of days already, but I can say they a quite responsive.

junker
09-22-2016, 11:17 AM
I am still waiting for Sapphire's response to my latest reply. They just said that AMD fixed the issue with the latest drivers which is clearly not the case :)

armed_troop
09-25-2016, 01:43 PM
I am experiencing the same problem. Also with an MG279Q and a Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro.
It is highly frustrating and I don't want to downgrade to a GPU with less performance.
Hopefully this can be fixed without needing to send the monitor back.

I can provide photos and video if desired.

sander886
09-26-2016, 08:58 AM
Hey all,

Same issue here. fury nitro with mg279q
I have attached a picture of the pixels going crazy in the middle.
To asus; I've been running the front porch timings reversed (49 - 8 instead of 8 - 49 horizontal - vertical) which gave me the issue less frequently.
Might be something you want to forward to your display team. Furthermore yesterday I experienced something weird that the monitor itself seemed to crash and was still showing the image of my desktop after my pc was off (albeit with black lines on top of it).
I'm looking forward to a solution.

Thanks,

Sander

Bahz
09-26-2016, 09:04 AM
Thank you everyone for the additional details, pictures and videos, we're already looking into this issue. I'll update everyone as soon as possible once I hear back from our display team.

Sissors
09-30-2016, 04:40 PM
Just to add to the previous people: I just got myself an MG279Q with also an R9 Fury Nitro, and also exactly the same issues with the latest drivers. For me toggling the monitor on and off generally fixes the issue, but of course this should not be required, especially with a monitor of this price range :).

In general I do have some issues also getting Freesync to function consistently. I don't want to hijack the topic, but I do wonder if it is related to each other.

Borsten
10-08-2016, 10:13 AM
Just checking in with the exact same issue. MG279Q with Sapphire Nitro Fury. Creating custom resolution with 143Hz seems to band aid the issue.

sander886
10-10-2016, 02:43 PM
Thank you everyone for the additional details, pictures and videos, we're already looking into this issue. I'll update everyone as soon as possible once I hear back from our display team.

It's been a while Bahz, any news? These issues are kind of ruining competitive use of this monitor and my return window is coming up..

carlos_o5@yahoo.com
10-11-2016, 12:57 AM
Hello all,

Just checking in as well to see if there has been a resolution to this issue.

Video card: R9 Fury Nitro
Monitor: MG279Q
Issue: Transparent/Blurry line down middle of screen when above 60Hz

Bahz
10-12-2016, 01:09 AM
Unfortunately there are no new updates regarding this yet, our team is still working with related vendors on a solution for this. I'll send another follow up with our display team to see if we're progressing on this issue. With the PG279Q we needed Nvidia's base firmware in order for us to work on our own firmware update so I assume it's the same case here where we need to wait for AMD to provide us with the same.

silk300
10-26-2016, 03:28 PM
Hello all.

Just got a MG279Q a few days ago and using it with a Sapphire R9 Fury. Got the same blurry line down the middle as others have reported. Hoping there will be a fix for this otherwise its going back as I dont fancy down-grading GPU's.

gupsterg
10-26-2016, 03:33 PM
I reckon this monitor has more firmware issues than just the one highlighted in this thread. Link (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?88477-Asus-MG279Q-not-displaying-output-on-older-GPUs) to what I have seen with 3 differing MG279Q.

tribullet
10-27-2016, 02:44 PM
I picked up an MG279q last week to use with my r9 fury nitro. I too have the same line down the middle of the screen. I thought I could tolerate changing the resolution/refresh rate/turning monitor off and on as a fix, but it's only been a few days and is already driving me crazy. Especially since the issue and temporary fixes seem to occur and work intermittently. Have there been any updates on a solution?

Bahz
10-31-2016, 03:55 AM
I just wanted to let everyone know that we're looking into this issue so there's definitely something being done internally although we haven't received official word on when a solution will be available. I'll update everyone once there is any confirmed information that I can share.

Sissors
10-31-2016, 05:16 PM
I picked up an MG279q last week to use with my r9 fury nitro. I too have the same line down the middle of the screen. I thought I could tolerate changing the resolution/refresh rate/turning monitor off and on as a fix, but it's only been a few days and is already driving me crazy. Especially since the issue and temporary fixes seem to occur and work intermittently. Have there been any updates on a solution?
What seems to work as workaround for me is: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/558grc/a_fix_for_the_overlapping_image_in_the_middle_of/

Seems stupid lowering the refresh rate by 1Hz, but if it works, it can't be that stupid :P.

Bahz
11-09-2016, 08:12 AM
Can anyone else confirm the solution by lowering the refresh rate by 1 Hz has worked in resolving the issue like mentioned by Sissors?

Hennermand
11-12-2016, 08:36 PM
Can anyone else confirm the solution by lowering the refresh rate by 1 Hz has worked in resolving the issue like mentioned by Sissors?

I can confirm that the solution seems to have resolved my issue.

Bahz
11-13-2016, 01:12 AM
Thanks for confirming, so far it seems like some people were able to use this workaround solution to fix the problem, while there are still others that are reporting that the issue still happens but less frequently.

We're still looking into this issue but it seems to be a little different than the PG279Q issue with Nvidia.

tribullet
11-16-2016, 06:53 PM
I still have the issue while using the 143hz suggestion, however, it happens less frequently.

s8g
11-19-2016, 10:36 AM
I also had the problem. The workaround (setting the monitor manually to 143hz) helped until now, though.

jershinator
11-20-2016, 02:45 PM
I have had the problem too. I'm running an R9 Fury Nitro as my primary card, and R9 Fury Tri-X as the secondary crossfire card. The 143 Hz workaround has not worked for me. In games where the monitor reconfigures/reconnects itself frequently like Assetto Corsa, it's most prevalent. I'm using the mini-DP to DP cable that came with monitor and occasionally get errors that the only available refresh rates are 60 and 90 Hz until i power cycle.

Has anyone had any luck with swapping cables?

This problem has been going on for over a year for me.

Bahz
11-21-2016, 04:11 AM
Thanks for all the feedback, I'll continue to follow up on this with our display team. I can confirm we already made contact with AMD and apparently the issue is unrelated to them as they claim. Our engineers are still working on a solution but I haven't heard back since more than 2 weeks ago, I'll provide back with updates on this thread once there's anything new.

Bahz
11-21-2016, 04:12 AM
Our display have also asked me to help collect SN back from everyone, if you can so kindly send me a PM with this would be greatly appreciated.

DrPhyll
12-01-2016, 01:47 PM
Any update on this? I'm having the same problem...
MG279Q + Sapphire R9 Nitro

Combined they cost quite a bit and it's a real disappointment it functions they way they do :/

mrgoogle8798
12-04-2016, 11:21 PM
Hi,

I just got a Fury on sale aswell, also have the mg279q and have this issue. I dont want to return the card but now I should?

Any easy permanent fix from Asus?

I don't have the issue with my old 290x.. using a 6700k with 16gbram, asus z170 gaming aura and windows 10.*

mrgoogle8798
12-04-2016, 11:24 PM
Our display have also asked me to help collect SN back from everyone, if you can so kindly send me a PM with this would be greatly appreciated.

Where can I find it? Bought it a while ago (the monitor..)

gupsterg
12-05-2016, 09:55 PM
Sticker on the rear of monitor, view area where you plug in power lead. The box also has serial of monitor on a label.

Grische
12-06-2016, 01:00 AM
While I have the exact same issue as the thread author, I have a different card:

Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro (aka Tonga)

When I enable FreeSync, my issue occurs at 90Hz, together with a blurry screen. With FreeSync enabled and 60Hz everything is fine. This seems to be completely OS independent.

When I disable FreeSync, I get plenty of error message from Windows Driver, but it seems to look OK. When I disable FreeSync on Linux, I only get massive flickering (and hence an un-usable screen).
Basically the same issues as described here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?74568-MG279Q-Displayport-link-failure-while-gaming

I already tried two identical monitors with the same issue (Respective SNs are in Bahz' inbox).

Bahz
12-06-2016, 04:15 AM
While I have the exact same issue as the thread author, I have a different card:

When I enable FreeSync, my issue occurs at 90Hz, together with a blurry screen. With FreeSync enabled and 60Hz everything is fine. This seems to be completely OS independent.

When I disable FreeSync, I get plenty of error message from Windows Driver, but it seems to look OK. When I disable FreeSync on Linux, I only get massive flickering (and hence an un-usable screen).
Basically the same issues as described here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?74568-MG279Q-Displayport-link-failure-while-gaming

I already tried two identical monitors with the same issue (Respective SNs are in Bahz' inbox).

Thanks for the additional information, I'll continue to push regarding this.

IMLOwl
12-06-2016, 07:35 PM

Can confirm I also get displayport failures mid game and blurry screen issues from time to time. I'm using a certified cable.

idiotsbhindme
12-07-2016, 06:21 PM
Can confirm I have this issue, alongside some other ones. Hopefully this give you guys more information on problems/potential problems with your monitor.

GPU: Sapphire Radeon Fury Nitro OC+

My issues are as follows:

1. Sleep to disconnect issue

Whenever I put my computer to sleep, or when the screen turns off after X seconds of inactivity, the computer treats the monitor as disconnected and resizes the windows. I have done research and apparently this is a displayport industry standard, but according to sources on a mg279q monitor review on newegg, an asus representative has stated that it is a known "error" on the monitor and requires a firmware fix. I have switched between multiple displayport 1.2 cables that are verified by the displayport website as certified.

Most notably, the resizing only occurs when I wake up the computer again, somehow when the monitor wakes up it disconnects itself and reconnects, resizing and moving the windows. I have tested this by connecting two monitors, and simply pressing the power button on the mg279q. The computer still recognizes that there are two monitors connected and retains the windows that were previously on the other monitor. However, if I press the power button, the screen will flash and the windows will fly to my secondary monitor, and then back to the mg279q which is now on and all the windows will have been resized.

2. Displayport link failure/refresh rate compatibility issue

Sometimes when the computer boots up, either from cold boot, sleep, or monitor wake up the monitor will experience a display port link failure or refresh rate compatibility issue and will be reset to 90hz, with the only options to change framerate to be 60/90hz in display settings..

3. Vertical line down the middle of the monitor

Sometimes when the computer boots up, either from cold boot, sleep, or monitor wake up the monitor will flash black and the screen elements will be off centre and blurry, with a vertical line down the middle of the screen. The vertical line down the middle of the screen occurs at 144hz. If set at 90hz, there is another bug that has a fuzzy line on the left hand side of the monitor.

Thank you for your time and attention. I hope this helps the investigation in this matter.

mrgoogle8798
12-12-2016, 04:53 PM
I had to return my darn great videocard because asus is taking 2years to get to fixed. Unfortunately this costs me money. Right now I am back to a 290x from sapphire without blurry line issues.

Now my z170 gaming aura motherboard (asus) doesn't recognize my nzxt water AIO vooler either.

A few years ago asus was top quality, doesn't feel like that anymore.*

InternetOwl
12-12-2016, 09:50 PM
Can confirm I have this issue, alongside some other ones. Hopefully this give you guys more information on problems/potential problems with your monitor.

GPU: Sapphire Radeon Fury Nitro OC+

My issues are as follows:

1. Sleep to disconnect issue

Whenever I put my computer to sleep, or when the screen turns off after X seconds of inactivity, the computer treats the monitor as disconnected and resizes the windows. I have done research and apparently this is a displayport industry standard, but according to sources on a mg279q monitor review on newegg, an asus representative has stated that it is a known "error" on the monitor and requires a firmware fix. I have switched between multiple displayport 1.2 cables that are verified by the displayport website as certified.

Most notably, the resizing only occurs when I wake up the computer again, somehow when the monitor wakes up it disconnects itself and reconnects, resizing and moving the windows. I have tested this by connecting two monitors, and simply pressing the power button on the mg279q. The computer still recognizes that there are two monitors connected and retains the windows that were previously on the other monitor. However, if I press the power button, the screen will flash and the windows will fly to my secondary monitor, and then back to the mg279q which is now on and all the windows will have been resized.

2. Displayport link failure/refresh rate compatibility issue

Sometimes when the computer boots up, either from cold boot, sleep, or monitor wake up the monitor will experience a display port link failure or refresh rate compatibility issue and will be reset to 90hz, with the only options to change framerate to be 60/90hz in display settings..

3. Vertical line down the middle of the monitor

Sometimes when the computer boots up, either from cold boot, sleep, or monitor wake up the monitor will flash black and the screen elements will be off centre and blurry, with a vertical line down the middle of the screen. The vertical line down the middle of the screen occurs at 144hz. If set at 90hz, there is another bug that has a fuzzy line on the left hand side of the monitor.

Thank you for your time and attention. I hope this helps the investigation in this matter.

I have experienced these exact same issues. There is a work around for the first however. Set your USB monitor ports to charge in standby and that should stop the screen from being resized.

As to the other issues I can't find a fix. They are more or less random in appearance and I think could be related to the video card/driver combined with the monitor. Given I believe this monitor would have to be sent in for a firmware update I am not expecting any real fix. Too bad as otherwise this is indeed a very good product.

YiRz99
12-15-2016, 11:25 PM
I can confirm this started occurring after upgrading from 2xGigabyte 7970s to 2xSapphire Nitro R9 Furys. I always shutdown my computer once I'm done for the day but when I boot it up occasionally I'll notice the middle of my background is screwed up and text is blurry. To resolve the issue I open AMD drivers and toggle "Virtual Super Resolution" On then back Off, usually this makes the issues disappear but I have noticed it in GTA V making my crosshair circle look like two circles put together. I'll provide some examples next time this occurs as proof.

YiRz99
12-23-2016, 05:57 PM
I can confirm this started occurring after upgrading from 2xGigabyte 7970s to 2xSapphire Nitro R9 Furys. I always shutdown my computer once I'm done for the day but when I boot it up occasionally I'll notice the middle of my background is screwed up and text is blurry. To resolve the issue I open AMD drivers and toggle "Virtual Super Resolution" On then back Off, usually this makes the issues disappear but I have noticed it in GTA V making my crosshair circle look like two circles put together. I'll provide some examples next time this occurs as proof.
As promised here's some pictures providing examples sorry for the quality I just used my phone to capture them quickly.

Background (notice the logos):

GTA V (notice the crosshair):

AMD Settings (notice the double black lines):

The forum decided to rotate the images :D

Bahz
01-04-2017, 10:24 AM
Thank you all for providing the additional information on this issue, our display team is working on a solution currently and I'll contact you individually when the time comes.

Orkrak
01-11-2017, 03:35 AM
Same problem here. Vertical mirror kind line right in the middle of the screen during freesync. Sapphire R9 fury + MG279Q

DrPhyll
01-15-2017, 01:20 PM
Thank you all for providing the additional information on this issue, our display team is working on a solution currently and I'll contact you individually when the time comes.

Sounds awesome!
Any news yet?

Orkrak
01-16-2017, 03:58 AM
I fixed the issue using customs refresh rates with CRU. I added 143hz to the list which works perfectly with freesync. No more glitch, no more resolution mismatch in the OSD vs windows (2566 instead of 2560) and no more line in the middle since I've been running at 143hz.

From amd forum :

mkk 5 oct. 2016 13:47 (en réponse à bol)
Creating a "custom resolution" with 2560 x 1440 @ 143 Hz seems to have solved the problem in my case. At least I've not seen the artifact for two days (edit: four, considering it working), whereas I used to see it a couple of times a day before. When I did, turning the monitor off and on usually made it go away, if only to sometimes reappear after a game had been running.

I got myself a Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro on sale about a week ago and had that line right in the middle appear on my Asus MG279Q with Freesync mode turned on. First I tried going down to 120 Hz and there's a chance that doing so might have been enough in my case, but the responsiveness is still somewhat better at 144 Hz so I didn't want to give up. By chance I tried the custom resolutions option inside the Radeon Additional Settings panel.

I picked the CVT-Reduced Blanking for the timing standard, for no other reason than having good results with reduced blanking in other situations. If I understand it correctly it basically saves some signal bandwidth and is normally supported by reasonaly modern monitors, and can be quite useful at least when overclocking panels on a DVI connection.

I'm also using the CRU (Custom Resolution Utility) 1.2.6 to tweak the V range from 35 - 90 to 60 - 144, which moves this monitors Freesync range accordingly.

DrPhyll
01-16-2017, 11:41 AM
I fixed the issue using customs refresh rates with CRU. I added 143hz to the list which works perfectly with freesync. No more glitch, no more resolution mismatch in the OSD vs windows (2566 instead of 2560) and no more line in the middle since I've been running at 143hz.

From amd forum :

Mind sharing your CRU .bin file?
Thanks!

Orkrak
01-18-2017, 10:01 PM
Mind sharing your CRU .bin file?
Thanks!

There you go, custom cru with freesync upgraded 53-143hz (freesync Vsync tweak) and the static 143hz profile for windows resolution under the advanced tab.

Photo : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9IQ03yAgtDvZFY3UHZMLXlfdkE/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9IQ03yAgtDvcU1BM19PUkRFYlk/view?usp=sharing

nhguapo
01-23-2017, 03:24 AM
I've been watching this thread for a while hoping to see some kind of fix - whether it is a firmware update or a driver. I honestly can't believe ASUS doesn't seem to be doing anything about it. I've seen a little lip service - that's it. This is a pernicious quality control issue. The MG279Q is the only viable 1440p / 144hz / IPS monitor available. The Fury is the only GPU able to drive it and the line down the middle is an absolute joke. What a waste of time and money. If I wasn't into it already for more than a grand, I would have gone a different direction.

I will continue to monitor this and will continue to hope.

jershinator
01-23-2017, 03:19 PM
I've been watching this thread for a while hoping to see some kind of fix - whether it is a firmware update or a driver. I honestly can't believe ASUS doesn't seem to be doing anything about it. I've seen a little lip service - that's it. This is a pernicious quality control issue. The MG279Q is the only viable 1440p / 144hz / IPS monitor available. The Fury is the only GPU able to drive it and the line down the middle is an absolute joke. What a waste of time and money. If I wasn't into it already for more than a grand, I would have gone a different direction.

I will continue to monitor this and will continue to hope.

I have to agree. I'm super disappointed in ASUS for this. I'm in the same boat, cost wise as well. 2x Fury's and this monitor is like $1500 alone.

DrPhyll
01-23-2017, 10:02 PM
I'm feeling 'Trumped' aswell :/

InternetOwl
01-24-2017, 12:46 AM
To be fair Bahz said they would be doing 'something' in regards to this. I wouldn't get hopes up or expect it quick but they have seemingly accepted it is an issue and are working on some kind of response. ASUS does move slowly but they do move. :)

Bahz
01-24-2017, 08:10 AM
I've been pushing for the past few months and our service team has been pushing the supplier to prepare the update tools for all service centers. I will contact each person individually when everything is ready.

YiRz99
01-25-2017, 03:45 PM
I've been pushing for the past few months and our service team has been pushing the supplier to prepare the update tools for all service centers. I will contact each person individually when everything is ready.
Thanks for the update!

DrPhyll
01-31-2017, 07:49 PM

That would be very good news! Fingers X'ed...

DrPhyll
02-11-2017, 12:22 PM
While we wait on news from Bahz, can we sum up what we've done to have to least bad experience with this 'line' so far and what works best?

Myself, i use CRU to get 57-144.101Hz but like in 50% of times when i reboot/log out the line is back.
Sapphire R9 fury stockspeeds

It's so frustrating. I spend alot of money on this 'new' setup and it doesn't work like it should.

YiRz99
02-13-2017, 04:00 PM
While we wait on news from Bahz, can we sum up what we've done to have to least bad experience with this 'line' so far and what works best?

Myself, i use CRU to get 57-144.101Hz but like in 50% of times when i reboot/log out the line is back.
Sapphire R9 fury stockspeeds

It's so frustrating. I spend alot of money on this 'new' setup and it doesn't work like it should.
Sure I use the modified drivers to achieve a better FreeSync range but when I see this happening as I stated before to resolve the issue I open AMD Radeon Settings and toggle "Virtual Super Resolution" On then back Off it takes 10 seconds.

jershinator
02-20-2017, 02:31 AM
Still nothing??

Bahz
02-23-2017, 11:42 AM
Please check your inbox

Ovii
02-23-2017, 06:25 PM
Only him or all of us? My inbox say "No new messages". Thanks

Bahz
02-24-2017, 03:41 AM
Only him or all of us? My inbox say "No new messages". Thanks

Because this was your first post and you didn't post in this thread before

Ovii
02-24-2017, 08:10 AM
That is true, that was my fist post but I was thinking that my PM sent to you few months ago with the SN and my pc config, as you requested on this thread, was enough. Anyway I got your PM now and I will follow up on that.

PS. this response is not as an complain is more an informative one, because there may be other do did like me, PM-u directly and now are waiting for an update.

Thanks.

Bob Ross
02-25-2017, 05:44 AM
Hi,

Could I get a PM on the fix too? Thanks!

DrPhyll
02-26-2017, 08:39 AM
Was hoping for a downloadable fix, because now i have to buy a cheap 2nd hand monitor until the ASUS returns mine :/
But yeah, at least it's a fix :) Thanks Bahz!

Do we have to specifically ask for a firmwareversion as i'm kinda scared returning it and getting it back updated with a firmware version that doesn't contain the fix for our problem.

Borsten
02-27-2017, 05:34 PM
There you go, custom cru with freesync upgraded 53-143hz (freesync Vsync tweak) and the static 143hz profile for windows resolution under the advanced tab.

Photo : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9IQ03yAgtDvZFY3UHZMLXlfdkE/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9IQ03yAgtDvcU1BM19PUkRFYlk/view?usp=sharing

Can you explain how the custom freesync tweek works? I know I've seen a thread about it somewhere but can't find it right now. Has it any downsides?

jershinator
02-28-2017, 12:20 PM
Was hoping for a downloadable fix, because now i have to buy a cheap 2nd hand monitor until the ASUS returns mine :/
But yeah, at least it's a fix :) Thanks Bahz!

Do we have to specifically ask for a firmwareversion as i'm kinda scared returning it and getting it back updated with a firmware version that doesn't contain the fix for our problem.

I opened a ticket, linked them to this thread, and gave the relevant info about my issue. I also included the PM I got from Bahz too. Hopefully turn around is quick

Borsten
02-28-2017, 08:23 PM
Is there any way to do this firmware update on my own so I don't have to ship and wait without a monitor?

Bob Ross
02-28-2017, 08:52 PM
Is there any way to do this firmware update on my own so I don't have to ship and wait without a monitor?

I second this.

jershinator
03-01-2017, 01:08 AM
yea I'm almost wondering if by 'firmware' they mean they're sticking a new panel in the old casing (which I'd be totally for)

Bob Ross
03-01-2017, 04:11 AM
yea I'm almost wondering if by 'firmware' they mean they're sticking a new panel in the old casing (which I'd be totally for)

As long as the new panel doesn't suffer from horrible backlight bleed. I already had to return my first order of this monitor cos the backlight bleed was horrible. This new one is near perfect.

Bahz
03-01-2017, 07:13 AM
As long as the new panel doesn't suffer from horrible backlight bleed. I already had to return my first order of this monitor cos the backlight bleed was horrible. This new one is near perfect.

I saw that you had a few questions, regarding the first one if you can just download some software to update the firmware, no that can't be done because a special tool is required to update the firmware. You don't need to worry about the panel being changed as they'll just update the firmware and you'll get back the same monitor with the same panel.

Bob Ross
03-01-2017, 04:35 PM
I saw that you had a few questions, regarding the first one if you can just download some software to update the firmware, no that can't be done because a special tool is required to update the firmware. You don't need to worry about the panel being changed as they'll just update the firmware and you'll get back the same monitor with the same panel.

Perfect. Thanks for all you help in getting us a resolution to this. Much appreciated!!

Grische
03-03-2017, 04:57 PM

I got a PM from Bahz as annouced, followed the instructions and got a replacement monitor a few days later which resolved the issue with a duplicated line when FreeSync is enabled!

Unfortunately, disabling FreeSync in the menu of the monitor still causes massive flickering in Linux and causes a link failure in Windows (see image).

Nevertheless, thanks a lot for the effort, Bahz!

InternetOwl
03-04-2017, 01:19 AM
So ppl have already gotten information on how to send in their monitors? Didn't think it would be so fast.

Also nice news on the fact no panels will be changed just a firmware update. :)

jershinator
03-05-2017, 03:15 PM
I submitted my service request almost a week ago with no reply. ASUS claims they take action within 48 hours...

Bahz
03-07-2017, 09:00 AM
I submitted my service request almost a week ago with no reply. ASUS claims they take action within 48 hours...

Could you send me a PM with your case ID#, RMA#, and product S/N (if available)? Thanks.

grum_feast
03-12-2017, 04:20 AM
I just got my MG279Q back from RMA (using it with a Sapphire NITRO R9 Fury). Unfortunately, not only is the line still appearing (tested at 90hz and 144hz), but I have also lost the ability to get Freesync beyond 90hz using CRU. Freesync at 120hz, 143hz (to work around the line), or 144hz now causes massive display glitching when it wasn't before.

I'm really wishing I had stayed on the old firmware now since it was actually working better. Pretty disappointed.

InternetOwl
03-12-2017, 04:58 AM
Thanks for your report grum_feast. Pretty surprised to hear this honestly as can't figure why ASUS would go to the trouble and not have it fixed. Also a sad panda because with the hopes of this being fixed I picked up a Fury cheap. Ah well :(

grum_feast
03-12-2017, 07:39 PM
UPDATE:

I've got Freesync working at 143hz again with no glitching. That one was actually 100% my fault. When I was re-entering my settings into CRU I forgot that I had my range limit set to 57-143hz before and *not* 35-143hz. The glitching was happening whenever a game's FPS would drop below 57 as one would expect with a too big Freesync range.

So, to make everything clear, I am still definitely getting the line at 90hz and 144hz with all CRU settings cleared (completely stock settings). Everything else is working as before and 143hz is still acting as a workaround for the line for me.

Basically my monitor is acting exactly the same as before I RMAed it. I'm interested to see if others in this thread have better luck than me.

grum_feast
03-12-2017, 07:51 PM
Also, just to help out anyone else in this thread who can't get the line to go away with CRU, I had to set my refresh rate to 142.856hz to fully get rid of it. Setting the mode to exactly 143hz doesn't seem to affect the line. I came to the working number simply by subtracting 1 from the stock setting.

Bahz
03-13-2017, 06:53 AM
Also, just to help out anyone else in this thread who can't get the line to go away with CRU, I had to set my refresh rate to 142.856hz to fully get rid of it. Setting the mode to exactly 143hz doesn't seem to affect the line. I came to the working number simply by subtracting 1 from the stock setting.

Would it be possible for you PM me with your monitor SN, case ID #, and RMA#?

tribullet
03-14-2017, 04:03 PM
UPDATE:

I've got Freesync working at 143hz again with no glitching. That one was actually 100% my fault. When I was re-entering my settings into CRU I forgot that I had my range limit set to 57-143hz before and *not* 35-143hz. The glitching was happening whenever a game's FPS would drop below 57 as one would expect with a too big Freesync range.

So, to make everything clear, I am still definitely getting the line at 90hz and 144hz with all CRU settings cleared (completely stock settings). Everything else is working as before and 143hz is still acting as a workaround for the line for me.

Basically my monitor is acting exactly the same as before I RMAed it. I'm interested to see if others in this thread have better luck than me.

Thanks a bunch for being a pioneer and reporting back. I've been wary of shipping mine back to get it updated; I too have had pretty good luck setting my max refresh rate to 142.908 in CRU. It's always a huge pain updating the gpu drivers and having to play around in CRU to get everything working again. Did you have any of the blurry text issues? That still causes me a lot of problems, particularly if I hook up a random laptop or surface to my monitor that I can't use CRU with; I was hoping that'd get resolved too; ditto with the line down the middle. Doesn't sound like sending it back for the update would worth it at this point if it's just to end up status quo.

InternetOwl
03-14-2017, 10:11 PM
Well I would thank grum_feast for the report again but I don't think ppl should be convinced they would get the same result. Hence why he wants others to post their results. I would but still waiting for my PM. Still ASUS would not go to the trouble without having made a new or 'fixed' firmware to update the monitors with to deal with the issue. Simply doesn't make business sense. Sometimes results vary for different reasons.

grum_feast
03-15-2017, 06:44 AM
Thanks a bunch for being a pioneer and reporting back. I've been wary of shipping mine back to get it updated; I too have had pretty good luck setting my max refresh rate to 142.908 in CRU. It's always a huge pain updating the gpu drivers and having to play around in CRU to get everything working again. Did you have any of the blurry text issues? That still causes me a lot of problems, particularly if I hook up a random laptop or surface to my monitor that I can't use CRU with; I was hoping that'd get resolved too; ditto with the line down the middle. Doesn't sound like sending it back for the update would worth it at this point if it's just to end up status quo.

Tribullet, I haven't personally noticed any blurry text issues on my end. I'll try stock settings again when I get the chance and see if that makes text look any different.

grum_feast
03-18-2017, 01:55 AM
I just ran on stock settings for awhile at both 90 and 144hz. Text in Windows 10 and Chrome still seem ok on mine (even when the line shows up).

jershinator
03-21-2017, 02:16 PM
got a notification that my monitor was shipped back from asus after being in their hands for about 1 business day. I specifically requested a new panel and a firmware update, due to a dead pixel and backlight bleed issues. They never gave any statement of the work done to the monitor before sending it back, so I'm dubious I'm getting anything other than the exact same panel back from them... with or without a firmware update. I'll give an update when I receive the monitor.

InternetOwl
03-21-2017, 10:05 PM
Hope it works for you when you get it back. I would say a safe assumption is that only the firmware update was done as that is what this is about but who knows. In any case I am certain they did not ship it there and then ship it back without doing the firmware update. As I said before that would make no business sense at all in any context. Keep us updated.

jershinator
03-24-2017, 06:48 PM
My monitor came back today and as I expected, it was the same one I sent - so no hardware fixes, but I guess I can live with that. Also, I noticed some dust under the screen that I definitely never noticed in the last year and a half with this monitor. Don't know if this is new or old (or how it could even be new).

I've had the monitor set up for about 15 minutes so far and have been constantly power cycling it while connected to my pc at 144 Hz / 1440p and haven't had the vertical line appear yet. I'm crossing my fingers at this point but if it works long term, I'll consider myself satisfied.

If I don't post again, assume I'm good.

Bahz
03-27-2017, 03:17 AM
My monitor came back today and as I expected, it was the same one I sent - so no hardware fixes, but I guess I can live with that. Also, I noticed some dust under the screen that I definitely never noticed in the last year and a half with this monitor. Don't know if this is new or old (or how it could even be new).

I've had the monitor set up for about 15 minutes so far and have been constantly power cycling it while connected to my pc at 144 Hz / 1440p and haven't had the vertical line appear yet. I'm crossing my fingers at this point but if it works long term, I'll consider myself satisfied.

If I don't post again, assume I'm good.

Thanks for sharing this, I think this may be the first report that the firmware has been updated properly and working as it should. Anyone else that has sent back the monitor for the firmware update please do share you results after getting back the monitor.

grum_feast
04-07-2017, 11:39 PM
Something I never noticed before on stock settings. When I open up the OSD sometimes it reports that the monitor thinks it's running at 2568x1440 (when obviously it should be 2560). This seems independent of whether or not the line wants to show up but I still feel like it has to be related. Like maybe the wrong resolution gets negotiated and then you've got the monitor trying to scale it weirdly. A quick google search of 2568x1440 and mg279q turns up a few other people who have reported this happening too. So far I haven't seen it when I use CRU to set my custom refresh rate to get rid of the line.

Anyway, Bahz had Asus tech support contact me directly so if I make any progress with them I'll let everyone know.

InternetOwl
04-08-2017, 03:44 AM
Hey grum_feast. Never noticed before myself but indeed sometimes when I bring up the OSD it reports that the monitors running at 2568x1440 instead of 2560. On mine it does this whether the line in the middle is there or not. No idea if there is a connection though. Thought I'd add my two cents.

Best of luck with support. :)

YiRz99
04-10-2017, 03:43 PM
Something I never noticed before on stock settings. When I open up the OSD sometimes it reports that the monitor thinks it's running at 2568x1440 (when obviously it should be 2560). This seems independent of whether or not the line wants to show up but I still feel like it has to be related. Like maybe the wrong resolution gets negotiated and then you've got the monitor trying to scale it weirdly. A quick google search of 2568x1440 and mg279q turns up a few other people who have reported this happening too. So far I haven't seen it when I use CRU to set my custom refresh rate to get rid of the line.

Anyway, Bahz had Asus tech support contact me directly so if I make any progress with them I'll let everyone know.
Would you mind sharing and explaining your CRU setup? I attempted to apply refresh rates for 142 and 143 but it didn't seem to help.

Has anyone else got their monitor back and can report on the results?

grum_feast
04-17-2017, 09:46 AM
Would you mind sharing and explaining your CRU setup? I attempted to apply refresh rates for 142 and 143 but it didn't seem to help.

No problem YiRz99. Here's step by step exactly what I did on mine since it was pretty baffling the first time I used it. I can also send you my saved CRU settings file if you want to PM me your e-mail.

First thing I do is nuke all the modes lower than 144 Hz since a lot of games have this weird habit of randomly starting in 60 Hz (not sure if this is a driver or a Windows problem or what). The second thing I do is move the 144 Hz mode from the extension blocks section into the main detailed resolutions section. If you don't do this after deleting all the lower refresh rates then Windows doesn't seem to recognize 2560x1440 as the "preferred" resolution anymore which causes some issues. Then I go into the 144 Hz mode and subtract 1 from whatever number the refresh rate was actually set to.

After this you can optionally try to overclock your Freesync range by changing the V rate range limits if you haven't already (no guarantee this will work on every monitor as it's not officially supported by Asus and all that). 57-143 Hz works great on mine (and if a game drops below 57 fps then the Low Framerate Compensator in the driver will kick in basically allowing Freesync to continue to work below its normal range).

Finally, after hitting OK a bunch of times, I run Restart.exe to get the driver to see the new modes.

Also you should know there was a bug in the AMD driver that was preventing custom monitor modes from being recognized. They fixed it just a few versions ago so make sure you're on the absolute latest driver.

Detailed steps
1. Select the one item that's listed under the "Extension blocks" section then click Edit underneath that. This will bring up your additional 2560x1440 modes that go beyond 90 Hz
2. Select the mode for 2560x1440 @ 143.855 Hz then click Edit underneath that
3. Click Copy at the top
4. Click Cancel
5. Select and delete all the 2560x1440 modes listed in that window
6. Click OK
7. Select and delete all the remaining 2560x1440 modes listed under detailed resolutions in the original window
8. Click Add underneath that section
9. Click Paste at the top
10. Change the refresh rate from 143.855 Hz to 142.855 Hz
11. Click OK
12. (Optionally) click Edit at the top next to your monitor name and under Range Limits change V rate to 57 - 143 Hz
13. Click OK until you've exited CRU
14. Click Restart.exe to reload the driver so it recognizes your custom settings

YiRz99
04-17-2017, 08:06 PM
No problem YiRz99. Here's step by step exactly what I did on mine since it was pretty baffling the first time I used it. I can also send you my saved CRU settings file if you want to PM me your e-mail.

First thing I do is nuke all the modes lower than 144 Hz since a lot of games have this weird habit of randomly starting in 60 Hz (not sure if this is a driver or a Windows problem or what). The second thing I do is move the 144 Hz mode from the extension blocks section into the main detailed resolutions section. If you don't do this after deleting all the lower refresh rates then Windows doesn't seem to recognize 2560x1440 as the "preferred" resolution anymore which causes some issues. Then I go into the 144 Hz mode and subtract 1 from whatever number the refresh rate was actually set to.

After this you can optionally try to overclock your Freesync range by changing the V rate range limits if you haven't already (no guarantee this will work on every monitor as it's not officially supported by Asus and all that). 57-143 Hz works great on mine (and if a game drops below 57 fps then the Low Framerate Compensator in the driver will kick in basically allowing Freesync to continue to work below its normal range).

Finally, after hitting OK a bunch of times, I run Restart.exe to get the driver to see the new modes.

Also you should know there was a bug in the AMD driver that was preventing custom monitor modes from being recognized. They fixed it just a few versions ago so make sure you're on the absolute latest driver.

Detailed steps
1. Select the one item that's listed under the "Extension blocks" section then click Edit underneath that. This will bring up your additional 2560x1440 modes that go beyond 90 Hz
2. Select the mode for 2560x1440 @ 143.855 Hz then click Edit underneath that
3. Click Copy at the top
4. Click Cancel
5. Select and delete all the 2560x1440 modes listed in that window
6. Click OK
7. Select and delete all the remaining 2560x1440 modes listed under detailed resolutions in the original window
8. Click Add underneath that section
9. Click Paste at the top
10. Change the refresh rate from 143.855 Hz to 142.855 Hz
11. Click OK
12. (Optionally) click Edit at the top next to your monitor name and under Range Limits change V rate to 57 - 143 Hz
13. Click OK until you've exited CRU
14. Click Restart.exe to reload the driver so it recognizes your custom settings
Thanks I'm currently running AMD 17.4.2 driver (holding out hope one day they'll fix Battlefield 1 Crossfire so it actually improves performance). I haven't really used CRU before so the detailed steps were incredibly helpful!

grum_feast
04-18-2017, 06:52 PM
Been going through all the standard troubleshooting steps with tech support but not making much progress so far. Right now they're trying to say that my Fury card is defective since I don't get the line with my R9 280X over the same cable. Considering how many Furys this seems to be affecting I doubt there's anything wrong with mine in particular (though if AMD or Sapphire put out a firmware fix I'd happily install it).

Anyway when I get the time I'm going to try plugging my Fury into the DP on my old monitor just so I can let tech support know it's only the combination of the Fury and the MG279Q that's causing the problem.

grum_feast
04-25-2017, 02:25 AM
Just got done testing my old Asus VS278Q with my Fury over the same DP cable I've been using on the MG279Q. Made sure settings were stock then turned it off and on 40 times. No line unsurprisingly.

I'll live with the 143hz workaround for now. Aside from the line issue this is still honestly the best monitor I've ever owned. If the problem ever gets resolved then I can actually start recommending it to other people.

Bahz
04-26-2017, 01:57 AM
Just got done testing my old Asus VS278Q with my Fury over the same DP cable I've been using on the MG279Q. Made sure settings were stock then turned it off and on 40 times. No line unsurprisingly.

I'll live with the 143hz workaround for now. Aside from the line issue this is still honestly the best monitor I've ever owned. If the problem ever gets resolved then I can actually start recommending it to other people.

It does seem like this may be an issue specific to some certain AMD cards but from our end our engineers have adjusted the firmware to fix it for most AMD cards that have this scan line issue.

grum_feast
04-30-2017, 02:51 AM
It does seem like this may be an issue specific to some certain AMD cards but from our end our engineers have adjusted the firmware to fix it for most AMD cards that have this scan line issue.

Hoping then that more people post their RMA results since that would help.

anonywhy
05-06-2017, 02:41 PM

Hi, I also own an MG279Q with this line issue -

So how do we update the firmware of our monitor like you say? I cannot find any relevant downloads or documentation online.

Thanks,

InternetOwl
05-07-2017, 12:59 AM
anonywhy, you will have to contact ASUS with an RMA request. Fill out the form and explain the issue you have. It is a known issue to them. Then just follow the steps needed. The monitor has to be sent away in order for ASUS to update the firmware on it.

Hope that helps.

Orkrak
05-10-2017, 12:52 AM
Can you explain how the custom freesync tweek works? I know I've seen a thread about it somewhere but can't find it right now. Has it any downsides?

I've read about multiple OC being used for a while without any issues. But as with everything, we can't tell quite really. It fixed all of my glitches, so I'm happy but still monitoring this. Since my last post I had the line come back, but because my CRU settings got overided. I'll read a bit more about this firmwire update offer.

Damocles
05-15-2017, 10:26 PM
Just saw this thread a few days ago.

I have the same issue with the same monitor, but with my Asus Direct CU2 OC R9 290x card. Sometimes when alt+tabbing or starting a game, it gets the strange line down the middle as well as on the left side.

Also, since the last 2 driver revisions from AMD, that is 17.4.x as well as 17.5.x Free Sync doesn't seem to work at all in several games. World of Warships, Mass Effect Andromeda.
FPS is rock solid steady 60-75-ish depending on the game. But both games exhibit lots of microstuttering, and when looking in the screen gui you can see the HZ changing beteween 89 -54 - 34, then back to 89 again. And I assume the change to 34 which is below the limit is what causing the stuttering. But it does that cycling about once every second or so. Turning Freesync off in the driver makes it smooth, but of course, with no v-sync on, lots of tearing.

Using no eyefinity, no crossfire, no profiles or anything. I do have a secondary monitor that is not vsync capable on the side, but never run anything except a browser on that window.

Bahz
05-16-2017, 03:17 AM
Hi, I also own an MG279Q with this line issue -

So how do we update the firmware of our monitor like you say? I cannot find any relevant downloads or documentation online.

Thanks,

Sorry I missed your question but the firmware update requires a special tool so your monitor must be sent back and our service center to update the firmware.

InternetOwl
05-18-2017, 01:29 AM
I have received back my MG279Q after RMA'ing for the firmware update. ASUS instead replaced the entire monitor when they shipped it back stating that there was a display port function error on my previous one. Luckily the screen seems to be fine on this new one however the line is still present at times. I assume that the new monitor would have the updated firmware so the fix did not work for me and my Fury. I appreciate the effort ASUS seems to be going to but the result is pretty poor.

In any case this is my result after RMA'ing the monitor.

*UPDATE* Turned the monitor on and there are green vertical lines running on the right side of the screen. My old one at least did not have that.

Damocles
05-18-2017, 10:28 PM
So I guess nobody else has seen the Freesync issues then ?

How is rma usually done, do you get a freight notice so they come and pick it up or do we go via our closest dealer ?

InternetOwl
05-19-2017, 09:18 PM
What Freesync issues do you mean? Are you referring to the noticeable line down the middle problem?

Damocles
05-20-2017, 04:01 AM
The ones in my last post...

I have the same issue with the same monitor, but with my Asus Direct CU2 OC R9 290x card. Sometimes when alt+tabbing or starting a game, it gets the strange line down the middle as well as on the left side.

Also, since the last 2 driver revisions from AMD, that is 17.4.x as well as 17.5.x Free Sync doesn't seem to work at all in several games. World of Warships, Mass Effect Andromeda.
FPS is rock solid steady 60-75-ish depending on the game. But both games exhibit lots of microstuttering, and when looking in the screen gui you can see the HZ changing beteween 89 -54 - 34, then back to 89 again. And I assume the change to 34 which is below the limit is what causing the stuttering. But it does that cycling about once every second or so. Turning Freesync off in the driver makes it smooth, but of course, with no v-sync on, lots of tearing.

Using no eyefinity, no crossfire, no profiles or anything. I do have a secondary monitor that is not vsync capable on the side, but never run anything except a browser on that window.

InternetOwl
05-30-2017, 04:41 AM
Damocles you will have to contact ASUS with an RMA request. Fill out the form and explain the issue you have. It is a known issue to them. Then just follow the steps needed. The monitor has to be sent away in order for ASUS to update the firmware on it. For me it was drop it off at the nearest Purolator. The other issues I haven't really noticed but as they seem to be driver related they could depend on the game or app being run in conjunction.

InternetOwl
05-30-2017, 04:47 AM
So as I posted before when I sent my MG279Q in for the firmware update it was instead replaced with a new monitor that has screen issues. Thus leaving me worse off than before. I don't know why it was replaced as the entire contact with ASUS Support was about the firmware update and nothing else. I had actually been glad they were not replacing the monitor as aside from the line issue the screen on my old one was fine.

I am currently talking to ASUS but they seem to have no idea. Between this and ppl saying the firmware update does nothing I do not understand the response on their part to this whole thing at all.

YiRz99
05-30-2017, 05:43 PM
So as I posted before when I sent my MG279Q in for the firmware update it was instead replaced with a new monitor that has screen issues. Thus leaving me worse off than before. I don't know why it was replaced as the entire contact with ASUS Support was about the firmware update and nothing else. I had actually been glad they were not replacing the monitor as aside from the line issue the screen on my old one was fine.

I am currently talking to ASUS but they seem to have no idea. Between this and ppl saying the firmware update does nothing I do not understand the response on their part to this whole thing at all.
That's incredibly frustrating and why I'm hesitant to send mine in. I'm starting to think maybe I'll just have to live with using it at 143Hz.

grum_feast
05-30-2017, 10:57 PM
Last time I talked to Asus tech support over e-mail they did want me to send my monitor back in for a second attempt at repairs (they didn't specify what the repairs would be). However, I too am definitely holding off on shipping it out a second time given other people's recent results.

InternetOwl
06-04-2017, 07:25 PM
I hear that grum_feast. Still that I have heard I am the only one to have my monitor replaced. I still think ASUS seems to really be trying to address this problem but the chain to the support centers seems to be broken. I wouldn't assume you would get my result and there has been at least one positive post for the issue and monitor being fixed in this thread.

But yes, IT IS incredibly frustrating.

Bahz
06-05-2017, 06:12 AM
Can you guys both confirm that you already gone through with the firmware update?

YiRz99
06-05-2017, 03:21 PM
Well I ended up selling both my Sapphire AMD R9 Fury's and jumped ship to a Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti so good luck to everyone who is still working to get this resolved but the 143Hz did work well for me.

InternetOwl
06-06-2017, 03:13 AM
Can you guys both confirm that you already gone through with the firmware update?

Okay. This will sound rude, but since I have just received my second reply from ASUS telling me to 'reset the monitor' in the OSD along with a helpful diagram of a VGA end explaining I should look for 'bent pins', here goes. First, I DON'T KNOW if the firmware was updated. I assume it was not on mine but I don't know. It was RMA'd and sent away for that explicit and only reason. Instead it was replaced with a new monitor. A busted one that STILL has the same line issue on top of it. I don't know why it was replaced. I only know I got screwed somewhere between the support and the service center.

I know you are trying to help Bahz, and imo you have done a pretty good job here. ASUS support was great too. But the end result was basically a joke on me and ASUS. By the bye, if I hadn't gone through with the firmware update, I wouldn't have sent my monitor away and thus would still have my original working screen. Sure it would show the middle line but it wouldn't have faint green and red lines on the entire right side. :mad:

Bahz
06-06-2017, 06:10 AM
Okay. This will sound rude, but since I have just received my second reply from ASUS telling me to 'reset the monitor' in the OSD along with a helpful diagram of a VGA end explaining I should look for 'bent pins', here goes. First, I DON'T KNOW if the firmware was updated. I assume it was not on mine but I don't know. It was RMA'd and sent away for that explicit and only reason. Instead it was replaced with a new monitor. A busted one that STILL has the same line issue on top of it. I don't know why it was replaced. I only know I got screwed somewhere between the support and the service center.

I know you are trying to help Bahz, and imo you have done a pretty good job here. ASUS support was great too. But the end result was basically a joke on me and ASUS. By the bye, if I hadn't gone through with the firmware update, I wouldn't have sent my monitor away and thus would still have my original working screen. Sure it would show the middle line but it wouldn't have faint green and red lines on the entire right side. :mad:

Could you please PM again with the product serial number of your current unit and also the previous RMA#? I will further escalate this case for you as you deserve no less than a perfectly working monitor. Sorry I didn't further follow up with you since you received the replacement.

grum_feast
06-09-2017, 06:58 PM

According to the e-mail I got from tech support they did apply the firmware update to mine.

Bahz
06-13-2017, 02:31 AM
According to the e-mail I got from tech support they did apply the firmware update to mine.

Thanks for confirming, if I remember correctly since the firmware was updated on your monitor. Using the 143Hz solution has fixed the problem for you right? For some even the 143Hz solution isn't working. I've reported the Fury Nitro issue to our display team but there's no update yet, I will further follow up on this.

InternetOwl
06-14-2017, 02:02 AM
Thanks to Bahz ASUS got in touch with me to RMA my screen back to them for replacement and firmware update. Also explained why they had replaced my original monitor as well. So fingers crossed and I will let ppl know how it turns out.

grum_feast
06-28-2017, 07:10 AM
Thanks for confirming, if I remember correctly since the firmware was updated on your monitor. Using the 143Hz solution has fixed the problem for you right? For some even the 143Hz solution isn't working. I've reported the Fury Nitro issue to our display team but there's no update yet, I will further follow up on this.

Yes, the 143hz solution is still working for me.

Bahz
06-28-2017, 07:31 AM
Yes, the 143hz solution is still working for me.

Thanks for confirming that, I believe our service team has recently reached out to you regarding returning your monitor again. Have you heard from them yet?

grum_feast
06-28-2017, 07:35 AM
Thanks for confirming that, I believe our service team has recently reached out to you regarding returning your monitor again. Have you heard from them yet?

Yes, I've decided I'm going to give RMAing one more shot. I've replied to them and am just waiting on the shipping label now.

Bahz
06-28-2017, 08:13 AM
Yes, I've decided I'm going to give RMAing one more shot. I've replied to them and am just waiting on the shipping label now.

Great, please update us on the results once you receive back the unit. Thanks.

InternetOwl
06-28-2017, 09:13 PM
I received a new monitor back from ASUS and can report that everything is now fine. The new unit is great but just as important is the fact that the line issue is now gone. I have tested it for several days using my Sapphire Fury Nitro and the line no longer appears at all. One thing is that I have also been the checking the reported resolution and it is now also always correct where before in the OSD is was usually just slightly off as several of us noticed.

So thank you to Bahz and to the ASUS team. A few false starts but they got it done. :D

Bahz
06-29-2017, 05:27 AM
I received a new monitor back from ASUS and can report that everything is now fine. The new unit is great but just as important is the fact that the line issue is now gone. I have tested it for several days using my Sapphire Fury Nitro and the line no longer appears at all. One thing is that I have also been the checking the reported resolution and it is now also always correct where before in the OSD is was usually just slightly off as several of us noticed.

So thank you to Bahz and to the ASUS team. A few false starts but they got it done. :D

Thanks so much for providing back with this information, it's a big relief for me to know they finally managed to fix this issue completely.

grum_feast
07-11-2017, 01:09 AM
I just saw today that my RMA is done so I should be getting it back in about a week. I'll be sure to post results though it sounds like this is the fix that's going to work for everyone based on InternetOwl's results.

Bahz
07-11-2017, 07:39 AM
I just saw today that my RMA is done so I should be getting it back in about a week. I'll be sure to post results though it sounds like this is the fix that's going to work for everyone based on InternetOwl's results.

That's great, with your confirmation it should then confirm for others that this solution does help resolve the issue completely. I'm looking forward to your update. Thanks.

InternetOwl
07-12-2017, 06:44 PM
Really hope things work out for you grum_feast. Mine is still working perfect so hopefully the fix will do it for you as well. :)

grum_feast
07-18-2017, 12:26 AM
Sigh... well I got the monitor back and so far the strange line in the middle hasn't shown up. However, I now have an entire column of dead pixels stuck on red that are about 1/3rd from the left side. I tried resetting CRU and updating the drivers but I'm pretty sure this is a physical problem.

I'm guessing now I need an entirely new panel...

Bahz
07-18-2017, 02:23 AM
Sigh... well I got the monitor back and so far the strange line in the middle hasn't shown up. However, I now have an entire column of dead pixels stuck on red that are about 1/3rd from the left side. I tried resetting CRU and updating the drivers but I'm pretty sure this is a physical problem.

I'm guessing now I need an entirely new panel...

That's horrible, I'll have this case escalated for you as soon as possible.

grum_feast
07-19-2017, 06:45 PM
Got a new shipping label from tech support so I'll be shipping the monitor back out today. Crossing my fingers again.

Bahz
07-20-2017, 04:05 AM
Got a new shipping label from tech support so I'll be shipping the monitor back out today. Crossing my fingers again.

Hoping for the best, I'm sure you won't need to send it in again as they're going to quadruple check this time before they sending it back. We do apologize for the inconvenience caused.

grum_feast
07-22-2017, 12:04 AM
Hoping for the best, I'm sure you won't need to send it in again as they're going to quadruple check this time before they sending it back. We do apologize for the inconvenience caused.

I'm ok with the additional wait since shipping was paid for and thanks for the escalation Bahz.

A bit more details on what it was doing before I sent it back again btw... With the CRU settings reset and the refresh set to 144hz I probably power cycled it 30+ times without the original blurry line showing up. Before it came up maybe 1 in 5 times so I think the new firmware fix really worked this time. To test the solid red line I plugged the monitor into my Chromebook over HDMI and it was still there so it definitely seems to be dead pixels and not something else.

At least this new issue won't be as tricky for the service center to troubleshoot.

Bahz
07-26-2017, 08:14 AM
I'm ok with the additional wait since shipping was paid for and thanks for the escalation Bahz.

A bit more details on what it was doing before I sent it back again btw... With the CRU settings reset and the refresh set to 144hz I probably power cycled it 30+ times without the original blurry line showing up. Before it came up maybe 1 in 5 times so I think the new firmware fix really worked this time. To test the solid red line I plugged the monitor into my Chromebook over HDMI and it was still there so it definitely seems to be dead pixels and not something else.

At least this new issue won't be as tricky for the service center to troubleshoot.

No problem, I hope you get the monitor back as soon as possible. It's good to hear that the scan line issue seems to be fixed for you. Looking forward to your update once you get back the monitor. Thanks.

grum_feast
08-04-2017, 03:42 AM
Alright, got everything back from Asus today so here's my report.

They went ahead and sent me a brand new MG279Q. No dead pixels that I can see and the backlight has less halo than the one I had before so zero complaints there. I plugged it in through DP, made sure all my custom CRU settings were cleared, and set the display to 2560x1440 @ 144hz. After power cycling the monitor over 20 times the strange line has *not* shown up.

Unless by some miracle it glitches out later I'm going to say everything is looking good. Thanks Asus and Bahz.

grum_feast
08-04-2017, 03:58 AM
One last thing, overclocking my freesync range to 57-144hz is still working.

Bahz
08-04-2017, 04:44 AM
I'm so glad to hear that you have a perfectly working monitor now, thanks for sharing this update with us. :)

Glutenbob
09-05-2017, 04:48 AM
Alright, got everything back from Asus today so here's my report.

They went ahead and sent me a brand new MG279Q. No dead pixels that I can see and the backlight has less halo than the one I had before so zero complaints there. I plugged it in through DP, made sure all my custom CRU settings were cleared, and set the display to 2560x1440 @ 144hz. After power cycling the monitor over 20 times the strange line has *not* shown up.

Unless by some miracle it glitches out later I'm going to say everything is looking good. Thanks Asus and Bahz.

Hey, can you provide an update on this? Is the issue cleared?

@Bahz, I would like to have my monitor shipped in for repair too. What steps do I need to take?

Thanks *

Bahz
09-05-2017, 06:41 AM
Hey, can you provide an update on this? Is the issue cleared?

@Bahz, I would like to have my monitor shipped in for repair too. What steps do I need to take?

Thanks *

Yes, through multiple reports of users who sent it back for the firmware update, this issue now resolved. If you confirmed that you do have this scan line issue then please contact local customer service to arrange to have monitor sent back for RMA. If you encounter any issues with the local customer service, please send me a private message with the product serial number, RMA#, and Case ID# and I can follow up on this for you.

nhguapo
10-05-2017, 12:38 AM
I sent my monitor in last Wednesday and got it back the following Wednesday. The whole process took one week. The scan line issue is gone. Bahz was great. Thank you very much for helping get this issue resolved. The panel looks great. Running at 144hz with no issues. Finally!!

0mirage
04-10-2018, 04:25 PM
I found this thread yesterday and have been wondering for 2 years what was wrong with my computer/setup. I spent thousands replacing parts and building multiple computers to figure out the issue and for some reason didn't suspect the monitor. I went and bought a PG279Q (since I have another computer with an Nvidia card) and of course the issues I've been having are completely gone.

My symptoms:
- Horizontal Scanline that goes top to bottom is extremely apparent
- Screen generally looks blurry
- Colors are dim when the issues are occurring
- Vertical line down the middle of my screen before installing drivers, or permanently there on the BIOS/startup logos
- Caused input lag in all games as well as slight input lag on the desktop
- Generally looks choppy and doesn't look like a true 144hz

I'm not sure where I should go from here but if possible I would like to RMA the monitor. An Asus employee told me to 'hard reboot' the monitor so...I'm hoping it doesn't get shrugged off like that. Is there an Asus employee that knows about this issue that can help me out?