PDA

View Full Version : ASUS G74 Hard Drive

Brosef91
01-01-2012, 03:37 AM
Hello everyone,

Last week i bought an G74SX-BBK7 from Newegg and it' suppose to come with a 1TB hard drive. But when i checked them the first HD was 300GB and the second HD was 240GB, even when i checked the BIOS it said the same. how can this be fixed?

BrodyBoy
01-01-2012, 03:44 AM
None of them actually come with a 1Tb HDD....that spec refers to total disk space. So you should have (2) 500Gb HDDs.

Have you looked in Disk Management to see the disk configuration? Looking at drives in WIindows Explorer isn't definitive, because you can't tell which physical disks the drives are on.

Brosef91
01-01-2012, 04:37 AM
Disk Management shows two 500GB HD's but only one is working and is split into two portions. how do i fix the 2nd HD to make it show up?

BrodyBoy
01-01-2012, 04:52 AM
Can you right-click on it and select the option make it active?

(If you could post a Disk Management screenshot, that would be really helpful. Your descriptions so far don't really jibe with the expected disk sizes.)

Brosef91
01-01-2012, 05:15 AM
Can you right-click on it and select the option make it active?

(If you could post a Disk Management screenshot, that would be really helpful. Your descriptions so far don't really jibe with the expected disk sizes.)

Here is a screenshot, if you a different one let me know

BrodyBoy
01-01-2012, 05:25 AM
Perfect..thanks. So, you have the two expected 500Gb disks. One seems fine, with the three expected partitions.

Did you try right-clicking on the other disk (literally click inside the space on the graphical display) and choose the "Mark Partition as Active" option? In your screenshot, it doesn't appear that it's active yet.

Brosef91
01-01-2012, 05:33 AM
I tried that at the beginning, but it won't let me it grays it out. (screenshot shows it more clearly) 5239

BrodyBoy
01-01-2012, 05:46 AM
Okay....well, nothing important is on that disk right? How about you completely delete that volume, leaving the drive as unallocated space, and then make a new partition.

Right-click on it and select "Delete Volume" (and confirm)
Right-click on the unallocated space, select "New Simple Volume." This opens a wizard where you will quick-format the space, name the new drive, and specify a size (if you want it smaller than the whole disk), and assign a drive letter. Accept the default settings for anything you don't want to change.
After creating the new partition, it should have a drive letter and be shown in both Disk Management and Windows Explorer.
If you didn't use all the space for that partition, you can make another partition from the remaining unallocated space by using the same procedure.

Brosef91
01-01-2012, 06:59 AM
It worked like a charm! i really appreciate your help thank you so much!

Again, thank you so much ^^ and Happy new year!

rail77
02-09-2012, 03:32 PM
Okay....well, nothing important is on that disk right? How about you completely delete that volume, leaving the drive as unallocated space, and then make a new partition.

Right-click on it and select "Delete Volume" (and confirm)
Right-click on the unallocated space, select "New Simple Volume." This opens a wizard where you will quick-format the space, name the new drive, and specify a size (if you want it smaller than the whole disk), and assign a drive letter. Accept the default settings for anything you don't want to change.
After creating the new partition, it should have a drive letter and be shown in both Disk Management and Windows Explorer.
If you didn't use all the space for that partition, you can make another partition from the remaining unallocated space by using the same procedure.

Hello this is my first post...i have the same problem like brosel, but in my case i have some important data on that disk (the one that missing in win explorer but shown in disk management). Please help me save my data on that missing drive... Thx
fyi i have same g74sx bbk7 with same HD its 2x500 gb. Win 7 HP SP 1

dstrakele
02-09-2012, 03:44 PM
Actually, @Brosef didn't have a missing disk problem. He wanted to expand his OS partition into an adjacent partition. I recommend starting a new thread with your issue. Explain your problem and post a screenshot of Disk Management. That way, people with a similar issue can see how you were helped.

EDIT: @rail - You may be unable to post a screenshot in this forum until you've made more than 5 posts. You may need to post it to ASUS WebStorage or another web site and post a link to the screenshot.

EDIT2: My mistake - your issue is similar to @Brosef's. Let us know what you have tried to resolve your issue.

BrodyBoy
02-09-2012, 07:09 PM
Hello this is my first post...i have the same problem like brosel, but in my case i have some important data on that disk (the one that missing in win explorer but shown in disk management). Please help me save my data on that missing drive... Thx
fyi i have same g74sx bbk7 with same HD its 2x500 gb. Win 7 HP SP 1
If the drive appears in Disk Management as expected, it sounds like you may just need to assign it a drive letter.

OPen Disk Management
Right-click on on the partition in question and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths..."
Select a drive letter from the options in the drop-down list, and hit OK

If that doesn't resolve it, I'd suggest you follow Drew's advice and open a new thread with a more detailed description of your specific problem.

BTW, welcome to the Forum! :)

gilbert
02-09-2012, 09:32 PM
this is a shot of my disk management, i wonder if everything looks good or what can i do to improve it... well i tried to upload the screen shot but it wont let me it keeps saying invalid file and its a png ....

gilbert
02-09-2012, 10:17 PM
something is wrong i cant even look at other peoples screen shots ????????

vBulletin Message

gilbert, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

dstrakele
02-09-2012, 10:27 PM
Were you able to assign a drive letter to the problem partition(s) on the problem disk as Brody suggested, or does it already have a drive letter?

rail77
02-09-2012, 11:20 PM
Since am a new member and cannot post a screenshot yet.. I can tell my problem has exact similar screenshot with brosel... The different is i have some data on the disk and trying to save them... But i ll try post a new thread with my own screenshot if i already able topost a screen shot.. Thx

farxodbek
05-26-2012, 03:32 AM
Disk Management shows two 500GB HD's but only one is working and is split into two portions. how do i fix the 2nd HD to make it show up?

1.open computer Menage and look for Disk Management
2. select you hidden HD my was Disk 1 465.76 gb
3. right click of touch pad mouse >>>>New Simple Volume>>>>next>>>>next>>>>next>>>>next>>>finesh!!!
wait 6 seconds and there!!!!

farxodbek
05-26-2012, 03:46 AM
1.open computer Menage and look for Disk Management
2. select you hidden HD my was Disk 1 465.76 gb
3. right click of touch pad mouse >>>>New Simple Volume>>>>next>>>>next>>>>next>>>>next>>>finesh!!!
wait 6 seconds and there!!!!

BrodyBoy
05-26-2012, 05:30 PM
@ farxodbek: The thread/post is nearly six months old, and the issue long since resolved.

mellow
11-21-2012, 09:11 PM
i have the bbk8 model, but was under the impression that having 2 hard drives, plus a c:/ drive, with only 2 installed hard drives, meant that it was on a raid0 setup. i erased everything on both drives, now trying to get the setup you have is being a pain, or maybe i just missed something...