PDA

View Full Version : G752VT CPU temp reaches 100 degrees celsius while playing Crysis3

ukiyapaul
10-08-2016, 10:12 PM
Hi, I just tried to play crysis 3 again with my Asus G752VT and while playing I noticed the average temp is around 90 degrees celsius and on some scenes it goes up 100 degrees.
I dont think this is normal, playing left4dead2 is around 70+ degrees and AVA around 75-85.

Is this normal? GPU went up to 74 degrees while the CPU was at 100.

Clintlgm
10-09-2016, 01:10 AM
You need to do some serious testing, what happens when you run Furmark, What happens when you run something like Test in using 100% of your CPU. these are the kinds of test that will tell you if you have a problem. If your CPU is getting to 100C your probably Throttling also. You can try to clean out your fan and heat sink make sure your dust free tunnel has the plug removed.

miguel pereira
10-09-2016, 11:27 PM
Asus use way too much voltage on the cpu.
Just use throttlestop or XTU to do some undervolting and it'll be fine.

I've dropped from 97C+ to 80-85C on the cpu after 3h of witcher 3 on ultra with the undervolting.

I've got a g752vs, but it should be the same.

ukiyapaul
10-11-2016, 04:45 AM
You need to do some serious testing, what happens when you run Furmark, What happens when you run something like Test in using 100% of your CPU. these are the kinds of test that will tell you if you have a problem. If your CPU is getting to 100C your probably Throttling also. You can try to clean out your fan and heat sink make sure your dust free tunnel has the plug removed.

I dont have Furmark and so far I only notice it going to 100% on Crysis 3. I did just test a x265 encoding which took nearly 1hr to finish a 9min 1080p video and CPU temps went up and down 85-98 degrees Celsius but mostly 90+.

ukiyapaul
10-11-2016, 04:46 AM
Asus use way too much voltage on the cpu.
Just use throttlestop or XTU to do some undervolting and it'll be fine.

I've dropped from 97C+ to 80-85C on the cpu after 3h of witcher 3 on ultra with the undervolting.

I've got a g752vs, but it should be the same.

Will try XTU, not yet sure how to use it but I just downloaded it.

ukiyapaul
10-11-2016, 05:02 AM
I just did 10min stress test with XTU and temps went up and down the highest temp that I saw was 91 degrees celsius. I get warning message when I try other settings and dont really know how to set them up or if it needs to be altered at all. I read before that Its best if CPU temp does not go over 85 degrees celsius so I try to do that without performance hit.

ukiyapaul
10-11-2016, 05:07 AM
I just noticed that when not doing the stress test the Processor Cache Frequency goes up to 3.49GHz and Max Core Frequency goes up to 3.36Ghz but during stress test its 3.09GHz for Cache and 3.10GHz for core. Is that normal? I thought the max clock speed was supposed to be 3.5GHz.

miguel pereira
10-11-2016, 10:32 AM
That means your CPU is throttling. How much undervolting did you try in XTU?

If you want uninstall XTU and try ThrottleStop instead. I use it and once configured is great.
What is your CPU? I'll guide you thru the settings.

Ancients
10-11-2016, 10:59 AM
This should work for a quick fix for your high temperatures.

Go to your control panel > power options > change plan settings > change advanced power settings > processor power management

From here set your maximum processor state to 99% instead of 100%, and make sure your minimum processor state isn't set to 100%.

This will disable Intel Turbo Boost, limiting your processor to just below the 2.6GHz base clock speed instead of the turbo boost clock speed of up to 3.5GHz. What you're trading away in the boosted performance should be much more manageable temperatures. As an extreme example, before changing these settings my G752VT used to hit 91C playing Overwatch of all things. With the same settings in the game, but with my processor limited to 99% I haven't seen it rise past the mid 60s. I didn't see a drop in performance either. Since you mentioned rendering video, you may see an increase in rendering times, though I would be interested to know how much of an increase.

miguel pereira
10-11-2016, 12:15 PM
@Ancients

So you buy these high-performance laptop and then castrate its ability to use the power? Why spend so much in such a laptop then?
Obviously if you stop the turbo option it'll have ok temperatures, but a 2.6Ghz CPU is "slow", especially in rendering and high-fps gaming. Why do that?

Undervolting is a better option, since it keeps all the performance and produces less heat. I'm with my i7-6820HK @3.8ghz and my temperatures dont go above 85C. If I dont Oc and keep it @3.6 the temps dont even go above 80C.
Asus uses absurd Overvolting in these laptops, and I don't really know why. But its easy to correct.

Ancients
10-11-2016, 01:01 PM
I said it was a quick fix for the temperatures, not a solution overall.

ukiyapaul
10-11-2016, 02:12 PM
I have setup my power profiles from power saving, balanced and high. In those settings only high uses 100% CPU usage and I most use balanced most of the time which is only set to use 99% max CPU which did help lower the max temp I get but still reach high temps. I also forgot to mention that Ever since I got the Laptop last December 24 I have cleaned its Fan 3 times the last one was 9 days ago. GPU does not reach 76 degrees I think. I will test Crysis 3 again with different power settings and see if its FPS and temps differ.

I just downloaded Throttlestop and will be trying it, I have not used this before so I may need help setting things up right. My CPU is Intel I7-6700HQ 2.7Ghz base and 3.5GHz boost if im not mistaken.

ukiyapaul
10-11-2016, 02:14 PM
ThrottleStop V 6.0 it seems it does not support my CPU or maybe I downloaded the wrong file.

ukiyapaul
10-11-2016, 02:38 PM
Tried Throttlestop 8.10 b2 CPU still not supported.

Just tried Crysis 3 again with Power Settings set to balanced so max CPU usage only goes 99% and temp never goes up past 85 degrees but has an average of 78. With High I got up to 101 degrees within 7min of gameplay. I did not notice huge FPS drop from using only 99% of my CPU so for now I will just keep using this settings unless there is a way to get 100% CPU usage that wont make the CPU temp reach 90 degrees. My Desktop which uses a Intel i7-2600 with a cooler master heat sink never went over 78 degrees even while video encoding before. Anyway thanks for any input you have given with this issue and I will still check back as often as I can remember on this post to see if any new ideas will be posted.

Ancients
10-11-2016, 03:07 PM
Alright, I am coming back with some numbers after running firestrike on each setting. I wanted to compare different undervoltages to the processor limiting. I undervolted my G752VT down to -175mV, and while it remained stable the entire time, I thought going lower might be risking too much.

Anyway, here are the results. G752VT. Running Normal Firestrike.

Stock - 3.5GHz clock speed, max temp of 82C(179F), Score of 6345
95% Processor State - 2.4GHz clock speed, max temp of 72C(161F), Score of 6185
50mV undervolt - 3.5GHz clock speed, max temp of 82C(179F), Score of 6425
75mV undervolt - 3.5GHz clock speed, max temp of 82C(179F), Score of 6318
100mV undervolt - 3.5GHz clock speed, max temp of 79C(174F), Score of 6311
125mV undervolt - 3.5GHz clock speed, max temp of 79C(174F), Score of 6419
150mV undervolt - 3.5GHz clock speed, max temp of 77C(170F), Score of 6330
175mV undervolt - 3.5GHz clock speed, max temp of 76C(168F), Score of 6335
175mV undervolt and 95% Processor State - 2,4GHz clock speed, max temp of 69C(156F), Score of 6254

So those are my results from some quick testing. Since Firestrike is mean to simulate gaming, there isn't a noticeable difference in temperatures achieved until undervolting by 150mV, and even then the temperature difference isn't as great with just setting the processor down, and with minimal effect on the score difference. Depending on the tests compared, the largest difference in Firestrike performance seen between 3.5GHz and 2.4GHz was 3.7%. At its smallest it was 1%. I want other people to run some benchmarks, but this is what I got.

Ancients
10-11-2016, 03:18 PM

Just tried Crysis 3 again with Power Settings set to balanced so max CPU usage only goes 99% and temp never goes up past 85 degrees but has an average of 78. With High I got up to 101 degrees within 7min of gameplay. I did not notice huge FPS drop from using only 99% of my CPU so for now I will just keep using this settings unless there is a way to get 100% CPU usage that wont make the CPU temp reach 90 degrees. My Desktop which uses a Intel i7-2600 with a cooler master heat sink never went over 78 degrees even while video encoding before. Anyway thanks for any input you have given with this issue and I will still check back as often as I can remember on this post to see if any new ideas will be posted.

Yeah, I haven't seen much of a difference in fps while gaming with the processor state turned down either. Have you tried rendering/encoding a video to see how large the difference is?

miguel pereira
10-11-2016, 03:38 PM

Skylake CPUs are only supported from ThrottleStop 8.2 forward. Just Download the latest from here:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/

Settings I reccomend:

FIVR BUTTON:

-CPU CORE:
Unlock adjustable Voltage
Adaptive
First slider - all to the left until Default shows
Second Slider - Undervolt (try -100mV)

- CPU Chache
Exactly the same as CPU CORE

Check the "Save Options to INI when ThrottleStop exits"

TPL BUTTON:
Speed Shift Tecnology enable
Enable Speed Shift when TS Starts

After this just try higher or lower Undervolting settings. If something goes wrong just reduce the amount. Most Skylake CPU can go -150mV and more. But it depends.
Try it!

Check everything with HWInfo64 and see how the voltages on the CPU change.
Use MAX Performance on the Power settings.

miguel pereira
10-11-2016, 03:42 PM
Alright, I am coming back with some numbers after running firestrike on each setting. I wanted to compare different undervoltages to the processor limiting. I undervolted my G752VT down to -175mV, and while it remained stable the entire time, I thought going lower might be risking too much.

Anyway, here are the results. G752VT. Running Normal Firestrike.

Stock - 3.5GHz clock speed, max temp of 82C(179F), Score of 6345
95% Processor State - 2.4GHz clock speed, max temp of 72C(161F), Score of 6185
50mV undervolt - 3.5GHz clock speed, max temp of 82C(179F), Score of 6425
75mV undervolt - 3.5GHz clock speed, max temp of 82C(179F), Score of 6318
100mV undervolt - 3.5GHz clock speed, max temp of 79C(174F), Score of 6311
125mV undervolt - 3.5GHz clock speed, max temp of 79C(174F), Score of 6419
150mV undervolt - 3.5GHz clock speed, max temp of 77C(170F), Score of 6330
175mV undervolt - 3.5GHz clock speed, max temp of 76C(168F), Score of 6335
175mV undervolt and 95% Processor State - 2,4GHz clock speed, max temp of 69C(156F), Score of 6254

So those are my results from some quick testing. Since Firestrike is mean to simulate gaming, there isn't a noticeable difference in temperatures achieved until undervolting by 150mV, and even then the temperature difference isn't as great with just setting the processor down, and with minimal effect on the score difference. Depending on the tests compared, the largest difference in Firestrike performance seen between 3.5GHz and 2.4GHz was 3.7%. At its smallest it was 1%. I want other people to run some benchmarks, but this is what I got.

Nice study you made there! :D

Actually, that -150mV seems just perfect for your CPU. 77C is great temperature for a i7 laptop, why not use that? Are those Firestrike numbers the final score or the cpu score only? CPU score would be a better comparition.

Ancients
10-11-2016, 04:23 PM
Nice study you made there! :D

Actually, that -150mV seems just perfect for your CPU. 77C is great temperature for a i7 laptop, why not use that? Are those Firestrike numbers the final score or the cpu score only? CPU score would be a better comparition.

They would be, and they are. I admit I was only looking at the combined before. Because I am tired of watching Firestrike I only reran the last two.

175mV undervolt - 3.5GHz clock speed, max temp of 76C(168F), overall score of 6359, graphics score of 7195, physics score of 9451, combined score of 2693
175mV undervolt and 95% processor state - 2.4GHz, max temp of 68C(154F), overall score of 6251, graphics score of 7314, physics score of 7355, combined score of 2701

So the difference between the physics score was a large one at 28%, and the overall, graphics, and combined scores remained pretty close.

And while 77C is good, that 68C is fantastic... I'll try it with some CPU intensive games and see how they compare.

miguel pereira
10-11-2016, 07:31 PM
Come on, 77C is good even for a desktop. Mobile CPU can go up to 90C without a problem. But its up to you. In games like Witcher 3 i'm seeing 90%+ CPU use with a I7 @3.8GHZ. If I used it @2.4 most likelly I would be losing FPS.

ukiyapaul
10-12-2016, 11:51 PM
Skylake CPUs are only supported from ThrottleStop 8.2 forward. Just Download the latest from here:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/

Settings I reccomend:

FIVR BUTTON:

-CPU CORE:
Unlock adjustable Voltage
Adaptive
First slider - all to the left until Default shows
Second Slider - Undervolt (try -100mV)

- CPU Chache
Exactly the same as CPU CORE

Check the "Save Options to INI when ThrottleStop exits"

TPL BUTTON:
Speed Shift Tecnology enable
Enable Speed Shift when TS Starts

After this just try higher or lower Undervolting settings. If something goes wrong just reduce the amount. Most Skylake CPU can go -150mV and more. But it depends.
Try it!

Check everything with HWInfo64 and see how the voltages on the CPU change.
Use MAX Performance on the Power settings.

Just tried it and so far max temp while playing crysis 3 is 96 deg, average 82. It only went up to 90deg+ after about 35min of gameplay but even after 1hr average temp is 84deg. Had to set it to -150 since -100 only drop the temp a few deg.
I havent tried video encoding yet and not sure how to really test it but will try as soon as I have something to encode. A few Questions though, will the settings I did with Throttlestop stick i mean I dont have to change it everytime I start Windows 10? I have a dual OS setup Win7 and Win10 do I need to set it up also on Win7?
Anyway I will be using this setting for now and see if I notice any problems but so far Im glad that temps dont reach 100 degrees celsius easy within 10min of gameplay.

miguel pereira
10-13-2016, 05:42 PM
Those temps are still on the high side, but I guess they are passable. At least the cpu is not throttling. Eventually you should think about a repaste job, but these laptops are a nightmare to dissasemble, and warranty is voided, so I guess only after warranty period.
At any rate, I guess you could also decrease a bit the multipliers on the cpu.
Your CPU is a i7-6700hq, right? Default multipliers are:
1 active core - 3500ghz
2-3 active cores - 3300ghz
4 active cores - 3100ghz

You could leave 1 active core @3500 (this will keep maximum performance in most things in windows) and decrease a bit the others. In the FIVR you can do this on the left side.

About keeping settings. Yes, ThrottleStop keeps settings if windows didn't crashed. Thats why I told you to check the "Sabe options to INI on exit". There is a guide to make TS start automaticly with windows. You can try it, but windows 10 is hard to do. I just keep a shortcut to TS on the desktop and click on it when windows start. In TS Options you can choose to start minimized.
On windows 7 I think you have to install it also, since this changes are not @ a bios/Uefi level.
Using TS also gives the benefit to have a longer battery life. ;)

ukiyapaul
10-15-2016, 05:31 AM
Those temps are still on the high side, but I guess they are passable. At least the cpu is not throttling. Eventually you should think about a repaste job, but these laptops are a nightmare to dissasemble, and warranty is voided, so I guess only after warranty period.
At any rate, I guess you could also decrease a bit the multipliers on the cpu.
Your CPU is a i7-6700hq, right? Default multipliers are:
1 active core - 3500ghz
2-3 active cores - 3300ghz
4 active cores - 3100ghz

You could leave 1 active core @3500 (this will keep maximum performance in most things in windows) and decrease a bit the others. In the FIVR you can do this on the left side.

About keeping settings. Yes, ThrottleStop keeps settings if windows didn't crashed. Thats why I told you to check the "Sabe options to INI on exit". There is a guide to make TS start automaticly with windows. You can try it, but windows 10 is hard to do. I just keep a shortcut to TS on the desktop and click on it when windows start. In TS Options you can choose to start minimized.
On windows 7 I think you have to install it also, since this changes are not @ a bios/Uefi level.
Using TS also gives the benefit to have a longer battery life. ;)

To keep things the same I decided to just use the power profiles with Balanced using only 99% of the processor to keep things cool anyway my games on Win7 still work great even without using boost clock. For Win10 probably the same as I tend to reinstall OS once or twice a year. Win10 that came with my laptop had too much garbage in it that at default power consumption was 25-28W with Win10 reinstalled and only drivers installed its now 19-22W even now after installing my programs and games. I dont use the laptop out much its mostly at home to replace my old i7-2600 desktop.
I will still keep using this TS settings until I find it not good enough. I forgot how long the warranty of my laptop is but its most likely 1yr so warranty will be gone on December 25 if im not mistaken. Will then consider replacing its thermal paste if I can find good ones probably have to buy it online since I rarely find good ones locally.

gtan777x
10-20-2016, 12:01 PM
So I've actually been running my G752VT set to 99% max CPU state with turbo disabled for months now after initially posting about this quick fix for all the people that have high temps.

To the guy who commented "So you buy these high-performance laptop and then castrate its ability to use the power? " - yes I know it seems a bit stupid but some of us are not as lucky as you are and might either:

have VT/TL lower spec'ed units and NOT the VY/VS which has the vapor chamber cooling. (damn Asus with their false advertising)
OR
have a unit where Asus F'ed up the paste job (and I do have to admit I am not gonna risk disassembling it until my warranty expires)
OR
be just really unlucky at the silicon lottery and got bad i7 binning
OR
live near the equator and not be able to afford 24/7 air conditioning
OR
be stupid enough to drop the laptop and maybe the heatpipes are misaligned now
OR
all of the above - which is basically me.

But to put things in perspective here is a quick rundown of a test done with GTAV on various settings doing the same exact test. Obviously turning off turbo will result in a max cpu rate of 2.5 Ghz and 25X multiplier vs the 3.5Ghz, 35X multiplier.

CPU max set to 100% with gaming center profile set to extreme, no undervolt = 103C
CPU max set to 100% with gaming center profile set to standard, no undervolt = 101C
CPU max set to 100% with gaming center uninstalled, no undervolt = 100C
CPU max set to 99%, no undervolt = max temp 85C, .971V
CPU max set to 100%, with XTU undervolt -150mv = 89C
CPU max set to 99%, with XTU undervolt -150mv = 78C

So in conclusion... yes undervolt seems to be the best solution as it offers no compromise and mostly okay temps but if temps still seem to high
then we really just need to live with a capped machine in order to prevent the expensive thing from blowing after a few months of use.
One issue I do have with XTU though is after undervolting then doing a restart the undervolt doesnt seem to apply at startup anymore even though when launching XTU it does say -150mv however HWinfo logs show 1.2V. I'd have to set it back to 0 then -150mv to get a reading of .993V.

I'll try throttle stop and see how that fares.

EDIT - after uninstalling gaming center I tried to reboot/shutdown my -155mv undervolt now applies at start up. Seems that you guys were right to remove gaming center. I hesitated to remove that since the ROG key is now useless and I cant do the FN+PGUP to max out fans during gameplay.
However this outweighs the hassle of having to set the undervolt each time I log on since I take my laptop to work each day. So I'm now happy with running at 100% CPU with -155mv undervolt. -160mv results in a BSOD. With 87C max temp playing GTA V at 75fps.

Hopefully by the time my warranty expires someone makes a very detailed post on how to disassemble the G752 and I can do the repaste.

AsusYoyo
01-13-2017, 04:39 AM
@Ancients

So you buy these high-performance laptop and then castrate its ability to use the power? Why spend so much in such a laptop then?
Obviously if you stop the turbo option it'll have ok temperatures, but a 2.6Ghz CPU is "slow", especially in rendering and high-fps gaming. Why do that?

Undervolting is a better option, since it keeps all the performance and produces less heat. I'm with my i7-6820HK @3.8ghz and my temperatures dont go above 85C. If I dont Oc and keep it @3.6 the temps dont even go above 80C.
Asus uses absurd Overvolting in these laptops, and I don't really know why. But its easy to correct.

Hi, I assume you've used throttlestop? I just did a 10 minute witcher 3 test, where cpu temp was hitting 97-100 C. Any suggestion wll be great!

miguel pereira
01-13-2017, 09:37 AM
Hi, I assume you've used throttlestop? I just did a 10 minute witcher 3 test, where cpu temp was hitting 97-100 C. Any suggestion wll be great!
Just read the whole topic, I've posted a guide to throttlestop. I use it everyday.

Enviado do meu MHA-L29 atravs de Tapatalk