PDA

View Full Version : [G752vy]W10 Anniversary update install fails on internal SSD with winload.efi missing

winyl
10-10-2016, 11:08 AM
Any one else having problems with update to anniversary update?
I can not install it on internal SSD. I always get to this screen "winload.efi corrupt or missing (https://wpcf.neosmart.net/sites/5/2015/01/winload-efi-0xc0000225-windows-8.jpg)".
Doesn't matter what I use Windows Update, Update Assistant or Disk created from iso image or usbpen. Install will always get stuck on above screen after first reboot. Good thing I have f9 option to boot other system which just boots my 1511 of internal SSD.
When I get back to 1511 desktop Windows Installer shows this image (http://www.tenforums.com/attachments/installation-setup/23303d1436020648t-error-0xc1900101-0x20017-when-upgrading-build-10162-a-screenshot-17-.png)
1. Anniversary update does not have ssd drivers posted by JonJacobik on Msoft forums (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-10-anniversary-update-error-code/ecc6965c-2888-4318-81cf-6bcca315af19),
2. BIOS problem posted by BálintCsertán on Msoft forums (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-10-anniversary-update-install-on-m2-ssd/d9f4f796-0373-4659-ab4e-0d66e6894e4f)

Personally I think we have another bios bug with G752vy bios not presenting internal ssd to the software as per second thread. I wonder if Asus is doing something with it. Probably not. Well I could always use solution from first thread, but I don't have an HDD to spare and it also involves time consuming copying.My SSD is Samsung 950 PRO.
So, I just wanted to ask if you get same problem if updating to Anniversary Update or performing 1607 clean install on internal SSD?

If you do get the same issue post Asus Support so they can correct the BIOS.

winyl
10-12-2016, 08:08 AM
No one is having this problem updating to 1607 on internal M.2 ssd? My G752vy must have some features others do not. :(

Buggsy
10-14-2016, 04:41 PM
I just let my G752VS do the big update and didn't have any issues. The only problem I'm having is that I want to install Intel XTU now and it's failing pretty hard. The update installed fine and everything that I had installed looks to be fine as well. Won't get to do any gaming for a few days though.

winyl
10-17-2016, 08:33 AM
I just let my G752VS do the big update and didn't have any issues.

WOW. Did you install it on SSD or HDD? If SSD was it by any chance Samsung 950PRO?
I'm asking because I got email reply from tier I Asus support stating 950PRO isn't officcialy supported by G752vy BIOS, nice isn't it?
They wont pass my complaint to higher level support, because "they can't support all SSDs with in one bios".
For Asus the case is closed.

I checked I can't update or install a new W10, due to my G752vy not seeing Sammy 950PRO from BIOS level and the 0xc0000225 error.

Can someone with 950PRO check for the same problem? Or report success updating to 1607 with Samsung 950PRO as a system drive. Thanks.

httuner
10-17-2016, 09:34 AM
A solution that I ran into is to use EasyUEFI (freeware program) to rebuild your boot/efi partitions.

It fixed this problem for me as I also had the very same problem; using the installation media to attempt to rebuild the boot partitions/ efi partitions didn't work for me but using EasyUEFI it worked great.

Give it a try; you can google for it.

Buggsy
10-17-2016, 02:44 PM
WOW. Did you install it on SSD or HDD? If SSD was it by any chance Samsung 950PRO?
I'm asking because I got email reply from tier I Asus support stating 950PRO isn't officcialy supported by G752vy BIOS, nice isn't it?
They wont pass my complaint to higher level support, because "they can't support all SSDs with in one bios".
For Asus the case is closed.

I checked I can't update or install a new W10, due to my G752vy not seeing Sammy 950PRO from BIOS level and the 0xc0000225 error.

Can someone with 950PRO check for the same problem? Or report success updating to 1607 with Samsung 950PRO as a system drive. Thanks.

Mine is stock with a 512 GB Toshiba SSD and a 1 TB HDD, so not super comparable. Being stock, they better support my SSD.

My opinion of Asus's support is dropping all the time. My adapter will trip the breaker of the circut *next* to the one that it's plugged into. They had a thousands thoughts from it's my fridge doing it, to my outlet is bad. In the end, they simply insist that I need to call an electrician for a problem that is only repeatable the *instant* that I plug the power adapter in. :/

winyl
10-20-2016, 02:33 PM
Thank you for your sugestions. I do not have a problem with booting 1511.Even WINRE boots fine. The problem occurs after first reboot when installing.
I just checked all reinstall,refresh and recovery options under the WINRE environment end up with 0xc0000225. So I just can't reinstall,refresh and recover W10. Propably this is why anniversary update also fails with 0xc0000225.
I will check if W10 setup ran from dvd will find 950PRO as a possible install location and report back.

winyl
10-22-2016, 12:11 AM
I did fresh install of Anniversary version and this installed fine. W10 boots and WINRE boots, but I still can not do ANYTHING that requires rebooting in SAFEOS. I think this is maybe missing secureboot keys for Samsung SSD in BIOS, maybe something else missing. Read the second forum thread (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-10-anniversary-update-install-on-m2-ssd/d9f4f796-0373-4659-ab4e-0d66e6894e4f) I posted in first post. There posted another user of G752 with 950PRO having exact same problem. So this is not limited to my G752.

JustinThyme
10-22-2016, 10:12 PM
Download a fresh version and put it on a USB drive and boot from it

Insert the Windows 10 media USB.
Restart the computer and boot from the media.
Click Repair your computer or press R.
Select Troubleshoot.
Select Advanced options.

Oh hell, watch the video!

This will simply rebuild the winload.efi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtVsrA1nWGk

winyl
10-29-2016, 05:36 PM
Thanks Justin, I have tried this already. This does not fix my issue. I still end up with oxc0000225 BSOD when the anniversary edition install performs first reboot and I'm installing from USB pen or DVD. I took out second sata3 ssd, did wipe the 950 PRO clean and installed 1607 it installed fine, but when I try Windows systemreset or open command prompt from builtin WINRE it reboots to 0xc0000225 BSOD.
Also tried this with 1511 and the same problem. WIndows is booting just fine,but it can not enter windows recovery environment after reboot from 950pro. I got reply from Asus support 950PRO is not officially supported by G752vy, that,s nice. Did you haven't any problems when updating from 1511 to 1607 on 950PRO?
On my 752vy the bios shows only "WINDOWS BOOT MANAGER" as a boot option from 950PRO, but when I put original Hitachi HDD bios boot option shows "WINDOWS BOOT MANAGER (PO: HGST500....). I think my 752vy bios does not see 950PRO on low level. I did test it with my desktop updates there install fine and no problem booting to WINRE. I think this is some hardware or bios incompatibility, alas 950PRO boots fine in other machines. Is this Asus problem, then? But they know it,and are not willing to fix it according to first post in this thread (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?79822-G752-with-Samsung-950-Pro-SSD-new-information).

JustinThyme
10-30-2016, 03:22 AM
What BIOS are you running and what setting for the drives in the BIOS? Do you have CSM disabled?
My 2 950s in raid 0 updated without so much as a hiccup. Did its thing, rebooted and I was looking at the updated version. Ive done it on all my machines and believe it or not the only one that will not update is my Microsoft Surface Pro IV. It loads, updated firmware, then on reboot after several minutes of the circle going round and round it says "reinstalling previous version".

Also mine is still on the factory image. Never did a "Clean Install". Only cloned from one to another and updated.

winyl
11-01-2016, 11:12 AM
I have identified the cause. As I try to install 1607 update under AHCI mode in bios, and this fails with 0xc0000225 BSOD, but I can install it with RAID mode. Doing this on 2.13 BIOS. CSM in it is greyed out, and I can not change it from Disabled.
The culprit is buggy/outdated AHCI and/or NVME driver in G753vy BIOS, it won't properly dectect M.2 NVME SSDs. That is why I get only "WINDOWS BOOT MANAGER" with out the SSD name trailing it,as a boot option. On some SSD's in wont even detect them on boot. Windows is displaying the truth , bios does not present NVME SSD in AHCI mode the proper way, and thus it can't find the SSD and winload.efi on it.
The temporary solution is to change back to RAID mode. The Win10 clean install on NVME SSD in RAID mode also will not work, as the loading the Intel IRST on "Windows Setup" (old F6 option, accessed now by "Load a driver") will cause a IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD or WATCHDOG_VIOLATION BSOD. I tried to enable RAID driver in windows registry,but it would fail with INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. Maybe the cause is BOOT directory being on a first partition and windows on 3. I had to reinstall it on Sata3 SSD then copy in to NVME SSD. Now the 1607 update and system reset works.
I am reporting this to ASUS support because the bios NVME,AHCI drivers pair in it are buggy as hell. Don't know why Win Setup would BSOD on IRST load when trying to install WIn10 on NVME SSD, but I suspect NVME driver in BIOS.

Julskey
11-09-2016, 11:33 AM
I have identified the cause. As I try to install 1607 update under AHCI mode in bios, and this fails with 0xc0000225 BSOD, but I can install it with RAID mode. Doing this on 2.13 BIOS. CSM in it is greyed out, and I can not change it from Disabled.
The culprit is buggy/outdated AHCI and/or NVME driver in G753vy BIOS, it won't properly dectect M.2 NVME SSDs. That is why I get only "WINDOWS BOOT MANAGER" with out the SSD name trailing it,as a boot option. On some SSD's in wont even detect them on boot. Windows is displaying the truth , bios does not present NVME SSD in AHCI mode the proper way, and thus it can't find the SSD and winload.efi on it.
The temporary solution is to change back to RAID mode. The Win10 clean install on NVME SSD in RAID mode also will not work, as the loading the Intel IRST on "Windows Setup" (old F6 option, accessed now by "Load a driver") will cause a IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD or WATCHDOG_VIOLATION BSOD. I tried to enable RAID driver in windows registry,but it would fail with INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. Maybe the cause is BOOT directory being on a first partition and windows on 3. I had to reinstall it on Sata3 SSD then copy in to NVME SSD. Now the 1607 update and system reset works.
I am reporting this to ASUS support because the bios NVME,AHCI drivers pair in it are buggy as hell. Don't know why Win Setup would BSOD on IRST load when trying to install WIn10 on NVME SSD, but I suspect NVME driver in BIOS.

I also did a fresh install of a windows 1511 recently (and later did the 1607 update) on a Samsung 950 pro. If you don't want AHCI, better set mode to RAID mode first in BIOS before installing windows 10. Also, better to do a fresh install with only the m.2 drive in place.

When I did the 1607 update, I observed that 2 folders named windows.old and windows10 update were created in partition C:. Is it safe to delete these two folders as they take up around 19.5 GB of disk space on the drive?

Thanks.

Buggsy
11-09-2016, 02:40 PM
You shouldn't just delete it as there are uninstall options tied to it. Instead, use the Cleanup tool to remove it.

Step 1: Click in Windows' search field, type Cleanup, then click Disk Cleanup.

Step 2: Click the "Clean up system files" button.

Step 3: Wait a bit while Windows scans for files, then scroll down the list until you see "Previous Windows installation(s)."

Step 4: Check the box next to the entry, then make sure there are no other boxes checked (unless you do indeed want to delete those items). Click OK to start the cleanup.