PDA

View Full Version : G74SX Cleaning

JKB0076
01-01-2012, 05:16 PM
How are you guys keeping yours clean? That slight rubberized material is kind of a pain with finger print smudges. I tried a micro fiber cloth with no luck. Maybe damping the cloth a bit will help?

Trijicon
01-01-2012, 05:40 PM
I have used a cloth damp with water (not wet, just damp) and have gone over the rubberized areas with very good results being careful not to get too close to the touch pad area where I dont want any wetness to get in there. It get's the smudges out and makes it look like new again for me. I keep a dry towel close to wipe it down with after I go over it with the damp towel to help dry it out faster.

For the screen I use the microfiber for dust build up and a paper towel with just a tidbit of windex (small amount) for any spots that appear on there. Then go over it with a dry towel afterwards and follow that up with the microfiber...

Works for me :-)

XalexandersX
01-01-2012, 05:40 PM
Well as far as i have been cleaning my G74SX, its been mostly getting a damp cloth or paper towel (preferably cloth) and then wiping it over the
laptop, then wiping with either a dry paper towel or cloth, that should make it look as new, in case the smudges stay there try wiping them with the paper towel or cloth until theyre gone. I dont recommend the paper towel to clean close to the keyboard.

fostert
01-01-2012, 05:58 PM
Some of the finger oils really stay on that rubberized surface no matter what I use. When it gets bad I use a homemade lens cleaning solution that we use to clean our glasses: 50% isopropyl (99%), 50% distilled water, 1 drop of liquid dish soap. Works smashing, but I don't want to use it too often since I don't think alcohols are good for regularly cleaning rubber (occasionally is probably OK).

Trijicon
01-01-2012, 06:04 PM
For those 'tough' smudges I have used windex actually on the rubber... Spritzing the windex directly on the towel and then using that to rub out the smudges. I also don't like to use too many actual abrasive cleaning solutions on it often because I don't want the material to get broken down and turn white at all... Plain water seems to work very good for me on the rubber however and the stubborn smudges I just go over with a bit more oomph and they usually dissappear pretty easily. I generally clean her up every couple of days so they dont get a chance to really get set in very long...

Side note: I never spray windex directly onto the machine, I always spritz the towel with it first and then use that on the machine.

BrodyBoy
01-01-2012, 07:47 PM
Just a damp cloth works fine for me....sometimes a little soap if my son used it with greasy hands! That rubbery-feeling surface is just a paint finish over plastic, so I expect it'll start to wear off eventually anyway.

You can go right over the touchpad, by the way. The edges around the TP are sealed, except next to the buttons. But even there, there's a little lip on the other side that would prevent moisture from seeping toward the touchpad itself.

Dttell
01-03-2012, 02:05 PM
Any thoughts on getting into the cracks, say in the ROG indentation on the cover? Wiping with a cloth is ineffective there.

TeRmInAsHuNaToR
01-03-2012, 02:45 PM
Any thoughts on getting into the cracks, say in the ROG indentation on the cover? Wiping with a cloth is ineffective there.

If you really want to clean cracks on a logo, try using a bit of folded tape, or a toothbrush

dstrakele
01-03-2012, 02:58 PM
I brush the dog hair off with my fingers.

BrodyBoy
01-03-2012, 06:35 PM
Our G74 often sits on the kitchen table, because that's where my son uses it a lot. So whenever the table gets wiped down with a wet sponge....we go right over the G74 as well! Seriously, it's just a plastic case. You don't need to treat it with kid gloves- just wash it if it's dirty. ;)

WhirledNews
01-03-2012, 09:03 PM

You can use a Q-Tip if you really want to get it clean...

Dttell
01-03-2012, 11:57 PM
Nice suggestions all.