PDA

View Full Version : G752VS OC edition - Is there a way to permanently set it to standard mode?

lamjee0115
10-13-2016, 05:54 PM
Hello ROG community,

I have recently purchased G752VS OC edition and I was just wondering if there is a way to -permanently- set the device to work in "standard mode" (i.e., non-overclocked).
If I go in to the Gaming Center App, the device is set to "Extreme mode" by default.
If I switch it to "Standard mode" and restart the system, it again goes back to "Extreme mode"...
Does anyone know if it is possible to change this default extreme setting to default standard setting?

Also, is there a way to permanently turn off the light bar as well?
It seems like a driver issue, but when I turn off the light bar (also through Gaming Center App) and restart the system, the light bar again turns on.
If I go into the gaming center to turn it off, it shows that it is off although it is physically on. So, I have to turn it ON and OFF again...

It would be very much appreciated if anyone can give me some clue how to solve these issues!

Thank you :)!

miguel pereira
10-13-2016, 10:13 PM
Just uninstall the Gaming Center or better yet, just make a clean windows install. Thats what I did.

I dont need Gaming Center for nothing, I do everything from other apps. And my lightbar is permently shut down. ;)

But, out of curiosity, why do you prefer the default instead of the extreme mode?

lamjee0115
10-14-2016, 12:31 AM
Just uninstall the Gaming Center or better yet, just make a clean windows install. Thats what I did.

I dont need Gaming Center for nothing, I do everything from other apps. And my lightbar is permently shut down. ;)

But, out of curiosity, why do you prefer the default instead of the extreme mode?

I actually tried uninstalling the Gaming Center, but didn't solve the issue..
May be I should try clean windows install..thanks for the tip =)

I saw a benchmark of G752VS from this forum which actually showed that the result is better with the standard mode - I guess it's because the laptop starts throttling..?
Anyway, I thought it would be better if I could work in the standard mode and only turn on extreme mode when gaming because I don't need "extreme" all the time...

miguel pereira
10-14-2016, 09:27 AM
Well, extreme is just what Asus decided that they would call and OC mode on this laptop. But then they screwed everything up by using 1,4V (!!) on the CPU, so it gets to 97C+ and throttles. Not even on desktop i7-6700k 4.8Ghz you need that kind of voltage.
Thats why the Gaming Center is actually a bad thing for the laptop, and why I decidided to make a fresh windows install, which is really easy with windows 10 tool.

My 3dmark firestrike numbers are now more then 1000+ better than on "extreme" mode, and my cpu temperatures are below 80C most of the time. ;)

When properly dialed up, this laptop is great! :o

The Cool Dude
10-14-2016, 03:04 PM
Hi Miguel.

This is very interesting. Sorry for the questions below, but I am curious about your setup.

Is ASUS aware that the 1.4V on the CPU is causing the G752VS OC edition to throttle? Are they going to fix this in the Gaming Center software?

Since you have removed the gaming center software from your system, are you using any other software to overclock? What overclocking settings are you using?

Thanks!

lamjee0115
10-15-2016, 05:10 AM
Well, extreme is just what Asus decided that they would call and OC mode on this laptop. But then they screwed everything up by using 1,4V (!!) on the CPU, so it gets to 97C+ and throttles. Not even on desktop i7-6700k 4.8Ghz you need that kind of voltage.
Thats why the Gaming Center is actually a bad thing for the laptop, and why I decidided to make a fresh windows install, which is really easy with windows 10 tool.

My 3dmark firestrike numbers are now more then 1000+ better than on "extreme" mode, and my cpu temperatures are below 80C most of the time. ;)

When properly dialed up, this laptop is great! :o

Hello Miguel,

Could you please tell us how you have achieved that with your "extreme" mode?

Thanks

miguel pereira
10-15-2016, 11:19 AM
First you have to unistall Gaming Center. That is a Cancer for this Laptop. A clean windows 10 install is reccomended.

Then you just have to fallow this steps:

Skylake CPUs are only supported from ThrottleStop 8.2 forward. Just Download the latest from here:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/thre...-guide.531329/

Settings I recomend:

FIVR BUTTON:

-CPU CORE:
Unlock adjustable Voltage
Adaptive
First slider - all to the left until Default shows
Second Slider - Undervolt (try -100mV)

- CPU Chache
Exactly the same as CPU CORE

Check the "Save Options to INI when ThrottleStop exits"

TPL BUTTON:
Speed Shift Tecnology enable
Enable Speed Shift when TS Starts

After this just try higher or lower Undervolting settings. If something goes wrong just reduce the amount. Most Skylake CPU can go -150mV and more. But it depends if the are in OC or not and on the CPU itself.
Try it!

Check everything with HWInfo64 and see how the voltages on the CPU change.
Use MAX Performance on the Power settings.

NOTES:
On the FIVR menu you can play with the multipliers on the left side. You can OC or not on demand. Just find whatever you are confortable with. For now I'm with 3.8Ghz, since the temps are fine.
I just made a shortcut to the ThrottleStop in the desktop. There is a way to make it start auto, but I havent been able to. Not really a problem.

lamjee0115
10-15-2016, 03:33 PM
Thanks for your explanation!!

The Cool Dude
10-16-2016, 02:49 AM
Hi.

If anyone else is having issues with Miguel's link to the Throttlestop guide, try this....

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/