PDA

View Full Version : G752VS :: Lowered CPU voltage in BIOS = no more throttling

Dreamonic
10-14-2016, 08:25 PM
So I recently decided to get the G752VS-XB78K. After taking it out of the box and finishing Windows Setup, I started benching and monitoring voltages, temps, etc.

To anyone that says 'clean' installs are stupid... obviously aren't enthusiasts and that's fine. I've always made a backup of the original drive that came with the pre-configured setup of Windows from ASUS onto another one or at least copied the eSupport folder out before formatting. Regardless, it is not required but it works just fine. Tired of seeing threads regarding this. Also, the NVMe drive requires the IRST driver loaded when you do a clean install of Windows during the setup in order to see it.

Anyway, back to the testing.

To my amazement, it was indeed reaching nearly 95C almost instantly and throttling Turbo Boost clocks. The CPU 'static override' voltage was over 1.3v which adaptive makes 1.4v! So.... out comes the fun tools like AFUWIN to dump the BIOS, and AMIBCP to edit the access privileges for the additional menus and sure enough, there is an Overclocking one that's functional. You'll also have to go into the CPU configuration menu and adjust the override there for your cores as well. I'll post some screenshots. Sure enough after making the required changes in those screenshots, the temps drops to 77C on extreme load and sometimes climbs to 80C after a while when still at 4Ghz. This Aptio 5 BIOS is going to be so much fun to use compared to the Aptio 4 BIOS in the G751JY I had.

Now, what I would recommend doing is use ThrottleStop to find out how low you can go FIRST, before applying some random lower voltage and not be able to boot after saving it. When running ThrottleStop for the first time, you must default the voltages in its current state there to see any changes YOU make afterwards.

It's also normal for the system to power down after you adjust voltages in the BIOS and then turn back on.

This fix, literally addresses the entire issue regarding CPU throttling from higher temperatures due to the excessive amount of voltage applied under the "Extreme" profile.

I'm currently still testing things out with the machine so later on throughout the week, I'll post more up.

EDIT: Definitely uninstall the ROG Gaming Center and never use it! It affects and adjusts the settings I manually changed in the BIOS for the CPU OC.

Buggsy
10-14-2016, 08:51 PM
You were able to edit the bios to open up the overclocking menu? I wasn't brave enough to try this. My temps seem fine, but I was interested in under volting the CPU to be kind to it, and to leave more thermal room to the 1070. I read a few times on here about the CPU being over volted for some reason, so I wanted to try it out. I looked and didn't see any CPU options in the BIOS, and figured that it was probably part of the OC edition only.

My next thought was to try Intel's XTU. I got around to that today, but it would not install at all. Next is throttle stop, but I'm interested in making it permanent in the BIOS. How easy/safe was it to mod this BIOS? I don't think I've tried in like 15 years, or really needed to for that mater.

Dreamonic
10-14-2016, 09:20 PM
Ya, I don't know why they chose to raise it so high. My 4720HQ in my G751JY, I managed to get 4Ghz under 1.1v. I'll be finding out just how low it can go later on for the 6820HK.

The 6700HQ, if you got the non-OC edition, you'll be unlikely to OC that CPU, undervolt, yes. Whether or not it's a microcode patch or additional ME FW OC lib (170Mhz+) edits, so far hasn't been achievable like it was for mobile Haswell CPUs using those methods (minus the BCLK). I know in this G752VS BIOS you can adjust the offset "+" to "-" for the voltage, so I'm sure you could probably undervolt. It's easy to unlock, the problem is if the flash fails or if your system hangs or powers down during flashing, you're gonna need to get an SPI programmer with a SOIC8 test clip to reconstruct your BIOS using the merged 6MB off ASUS site. I've made a guide for that on my forum (red link in signature).

What ASUS did (i think) is allowed for above and beyond voltage for the 'binning' of CPUs and their operating voltages. Wide spectrum of some below and some above to an average. I guess 1300mV seemed fine to them with the adaptive voltage increasing when adjusting the Turbo bins as well. Little did they know that high of a voltage does nothing but cause throttling.

I have a lot of restarts and tests to do before I get anything concrete. I just wanted to let everyone know that there is a way to reduce the load temps significantly while also keeping the CPU locked at 4Ghz (extreme profile fwiw) for all 4-cores.

Simao
10-14-2016, 10:37 PM
The temps that you have first, was in "manual overclock" mode, or in extreme mode? Also, can you tell me the temps in standard mode?
Thanks

The Cool Dude
10-15-2016, 02:01 AM
This is a cool hack however I don't think I'm brave enough to hack the BIOS either.

Can't you change this stuff in the gaming center software? Isn't ASUS working on a fix for this throttling issue?

Dreamonic
10-15-2016, 02:02 AM
Just doing some tests.

FIRESTRIKE: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/15444349
3DMARK11: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/11658708

Dreamonic
10-15-2016, 02:04 AM
The Gaming Center is what is causing this issue completely. I've done a fresh install, OC'd in the BIOS. Everything is great. I install the Gaming Center and everything is jacked up again. I go into the BIOS and see my settings have been changed from that software. So get rid of it and use just ThrottleStop or the BIOS for overclocking. XTU works fine but it's causing a weird bug where it thermal throttles at 50C every now and then.

EDIT: Also, you can use the VOLTGROUND config for NBFC to take advantage of the fans again (follow the red link in my signature). Max fan speed with the BIOS fix and this machine is beastly! If I decide to repaste and remove the clear underside as an 'intake mod', temps would be lower. As is, they are perfectly acceptable.

miguel pereira
10-15-2016, 11:13 AM
I'm getting the same results as yoiu, but I'm doing everything in ThrottleStop. Anyway, unistalling Gaming Center is a must, and a clean widnows install is also a must.
Fot the less "brave" ones TS is a good option, since not everyone have the knowledge to edit a bios. :o

I dont really understand why ASUS puts 1,4V on the CPU. The results are disastrous. It doesnt make any sense. Even if they wanted to be safe for all binning I guess 1,3V would be enough. I'm using a -100mV from standart (never getting more the 1,17V on the CPU) and my 3.8Ghz CPU is stable.

miguel pereira
10-15-2016, 11:22 AM
This is a cool hack however I don't think I'm brave enough to hack the BIOS either.

Can't you change this stuff in the gaming center software? Isn't ASUS working on a fix for this throttling issue?

The OP way is better, but if you dont want to tinker with BIOS you can do like I did. Here is my short guide:

"First you have to unistall Gaming Center. That is a Cancer for this Laptop. A clean windows 10 install is reccomended.

Then you just have to fallow this steps:

Skylake CPUs are only supported from ThrottleStop 8.2 forward. Just Download the latest from here:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/thre...-guide.531329/

Settings I recomend:

FIVR BUTTON:

-CPU CORE:
Unlock adjustable Voltage
Adaptive
First slider - all to the left until Default shows
Second Slider - Undervolt (try -100mV)

- CPU Chache
Exactly the same as CPU CORE

Check the "Save Options to INI when ThrottleStop exits"

TPL BUTTON:
Speed Shift Tecnology enable
Enable Speed Shift when TS Starts

After this just try higher or lower Undervolting settings. If something goes wrong just reduce the amount. Most Skylake CPU can go -150mV and more. But it depends if the are in OC or not and on the CPU itself.
Try it!

Check everything with HWInfo64 and see how the voltages on the CPU change.
Use MAX Performance on the Power settings.

NOTES:
On the FIVR menu you can play with the multipliers on the left side. You can OC or not on demand. Just find whatever you are confortable with. For now I'm with 3.8Ghz, since the temps are fine.
I just made a shortcut to the ThrottleStop in the desktop. There is a way to make it start auto, but I havent been able to. Not really a problem."

AtomicStryker
10-15-2016, 11:37 AM
So ... do you still have any control about the back lights (LED stips) without the gaming center? And does this affect the sonic software (which is an absolute must, as without it the sound is muffled and flat). But i haven't done a clean install yet, perhaps that will be enough to solve the issue.

Dreamonic
10-16-2016, 06:26 PM
I'd recommend reading my post here (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?88311-Request-new-Bios-version-for-Asus-G752VS-OC-edition&p=612635&viewfull=1#post612635)as it should answer your question.

Buggsy
10-17-2016, 02:51 PM
I'm going to try ThrottleStop just for fun. I do not have the OC edition, and I'm not throttling. I haven't tried anything like Prime95 to force the issue and see my max temps, but playing games like Arkham Knight doesn't even push the CPU to 70 degrees C. I just don't like that my CPU is unnecessarily over-volted.

Dreamonic
10-20-2016, 02:48 AM
NEW RECORD

FIRESTRIKE: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/10525437
3DMARK11: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/11671295

diogogmaio
10-20-2016, 10:25 AM
The OP way is better, but if you dont want to tinker with BIOS you can do like I did. Here is my short guide:

"First you have to unistall Gaming Center. That is a Cancer for this Laptop. A clean windows 10 install is reccomended.

Then you just have to fallow this steps:

Skylake CPUs are only supported from ThrottleStop 8.2 forward. Just Download the latest from here:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/thre...-guide.531329/

Settings I recomend:

FIVR BUTTON:

-CPU CORE:
Unlock adjustable Voltage
Adaptive
First slider - all to the left until Default shows
Second Slider - Undervolt (try -100mV)

- CPU Chache
Exactly the same as CPU CORE

Check the "Save Options to INI when ThrottleStop exits"

TPL BUTTON:
Speed Shift Tecnology enable
Enable Speed Shift when TS Starts

After this just try higher or lower Undervolting settings. If something goes wrong just reduce the amount. Most Skylake CPU can go -150mV and more. But it depends if the are in OC or not and on the CPU itself.
Try it!

Check everything with HWInfo64 and see how the voltages on the CPU change.
Use MAX Performance on the Power settings.

NOTES:
On the FIVR menu you can play with the multipliers on the left side. You can OC or not on demand. Just find whatever you are confortable with. For now I'm with 3.8Ghz, since the temps are fine.
I just made a shortcut to the ThrottleStop in the desktop. There is a way to make it start auto, but I havent been able to. Not really a problem."

Any of these applies to G752VY ?! Or only VS?

Thanks

miguel pereira
10-20-2016, 11:40 AM
Any of these applies to G752VY ?! Or only VS?

Thanks

Any CPU that is 4xxx and above should work. OC will only work in unlocked CPU. The settings I posted should work for skylake CPUs (6xxx CPU's). Others shouldnt be that different, but I recommend that you read about it if its not a skylake.

So Yes, it should work on VY. :o

miguel pereira
10-20-2016, 11:41 AM
NEW RECORD

FIRESTRIKE: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/10525437
3DMARK11: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/11671295

Beast Results!! :D

Congrats!

gtan777x
10-31-2016, 02:35 PM
dreamsonic and miguel - thanks for all the tips. I've done these steps and have now achieved below 80c temps when playing GTA V or Witcher 3

remove ROG gaming center
remove intel XTU
configured throttlestop exactly as you mentioned and had it statup automatically using task scheduler
installed NBFC and used the voltground config

I only have 1 issue though. I cant seem to make throttlestop minimize to system tray/notification area. it stays in the taskbar.

Buggsy
11-01-2016, 04:07 PM
My next thought was to try Intel's XTU. I got around to that today, but it would not install at all. Next is throttle stop, but

There is a new version of XTU out, 6.2.0.17. This solved my install issues. It's kind of a daunting program with so many options, but I now have access to check / change my voltage settings and maybe thermal settings.

Dreamonic
11-09-2016, 09:22 PM
Okay, so here's an update.

I managed to get everything unlocked in XTU (pic below), but CPU temps still kept me from doing any substantial overclocking.

I had uneven core #0 and #2 temps with my 6820HK which was in the ballpark of 20C apart from core #1 and #3; Really frustrating having to correct this BTW.

So this is what's happening. After I did a repaste after repaste after repaste, temps would drop no more than 15C apart (at max load). So it would seem with the G752VS and the heatsink assembly used (which is so massive and in one construction again), it is unlikely to rest flat everywhere even with the 3DVC on top. So I would assume whoever has this uneven core temp problem, has a heatsink assembly resting cockeyed. Anyway, I applied some force to the appropriate side of the heatsink assembly, bending it ever so much to make it sit as flat as possible on the CPU die. It fixed the problem!

Now here's the part how you can tell which side of the heatsink assembly needs some bending. In the 6820HK (core layout), core #0 and #2 (if looking at the notebook with the screen open) are located at the rear near the vents, and core #1 and #3 are at the front. So if your uneven temps are core #0 and #2, then it means the heatsink assembly CPU-side portion, is cockeyed to the front (where core #1 and #3 is). I know this because I angled it the opposite way to test for my theory, and sure enough, temps for core #1 and #3 were at 15C-20C apart. So, before putting everything back together, do a final test and rest the heatsink assembly against a hard flat surface (at the edge to keep the fin array from lifting it up) and check using finger pressure to see where else you need to make adjustments. It should not pivot like a seesaw!

After doing all of this my temps are now within 5-7C apart. I definitely say this is worth doing if you have uneven core temps like this. It's worth all the trouble correcting it!

Now to the part that pisses me off.. ASUS! Do they not do any post-assembly testing? Because this should have been caught! It just baffles me the amount of time they put into designing their ROG lineup (especially the notebooks) and making it as user unfriendly-ith as possible (access SOICs for programming for example), let alone to the heatsink assembly. Seriously, get a proper team put together in every manufacturing division around the world and establish a better checklist to handle the ROG notebook lineup. Do the proper post-assembly analysis, make the necessary corrections, THEN send it out into the distribution channel; If the teams involved don't know what to look for, educate them!

In noesis,

I don't have many complaints over ASUS products (with ones I've used anyway), and I understand that there is a percentage of error in product development in the manufacturing process (you can't catch them all), and that yes, I could have returned this system to the retailer I purchased it from and hoped for a better one.. but there's another problem with even that option (BGA being that problem) and I've expressed my viewpoint about it. I like ASUS products. I like their choice of product design, so it seems nit-picking on my part to even bring this up. My system right now is running great (where I'm comfortable with the end result), so as long as I jump the ASUS hoops and know what I do, everything turns out fine? Right...

Dreamonic
11-18-2016, 02:11 AM
Shunt mod on G752VS complete.

Highest scores to date!

3DMARK11: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/11748983
FIRESTRIKE: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/10807724

Compwxr
11-18-2016, 04:21 AM
Great Job! Congrats :D

JustinThyme
11-19-2016, 02:48 AM
Not bad for a newb. Has nothing to do with clean install but more with BIOs and VBIOs tuning. You always were good at that. If I didnt just blow a wad of $$ on a desktop build Id go OS for OS with you, not much for hacking the BIOS. I do OK with one that's already open. I wasnt going to buy another laptop and got tired of waiting on ASUS to release the X2 GPU dock so I invested in a Z170, 6700K and two Strix 1080s in SLI. I cant hit 16K FS on one card if I turn everything down to nil. Mild OC on two in SLI is getting me 26K. Havent had time to push it just yet. Waiting on the 960 pros to put in a raid 0 array before I go ahead and push it hard. For a non enthusiast I managed to get the 6700K to 4.8 Ghz stable on 1.375V I know it has 5Ghz in it.

AsusYoyo
01-15-2017, 07:15 AM
So I did -100mv, set all core to 3.8ghz, ran some fire strike, unigine, Ts benches, cinebenchr15. All looks good but then, 8minute into witcher 3 at ultra, it crashed and caused a reboot. 10 minute into Tomb Raider and it crashed. What the hell is going on.....is it the multiplier, or the undervoltage, or is it the overheating(can't get a reading because it crashed n rebooted)? I followed Miguel's starter set up :(. Any suggestions?

Dreamonic
01-15-2017, 07:45 AM
It's your undervolt.

When you set the core multiplier higher (38x, 40x, etc), Vcore increases as with Adaptive voltage based on the set multiplier. This in turn affects how low you can undervolt while keeping stability in check.

Stock multiplier will be stable with an undervolt usually around -100mV to -150mV. Then, as the multipliers are increased (overclocking), that range could be around -12mV to -50mV (bin dependent of course). If your CPU die was from a good yield, then chances are your undervolting range will be really good as well.

It's definitely something you need to test (like in games or benchmark runs) to know what is stable and what isn't, before running it as a daily profile. When crashing occurs, adjust your undervolt and proceed to test again until no crashing or system halts, shutdowns or restarts occur again (complete stability).

AsusYoyo
01-16-2017, 06:28 AM
It's your undervolt.

When you set the core multiplier higher (38x, 40x, etc), Vcore increases as with Adaptive voltage based on the set multiplier. This in turn affects how low you can undervolt while keeping stability in check.

Stock multiplier will be stable with an undervolt usually around -100mV to -150mV. Then, as the multipliers are increased (overclocking), that range could be around -12mV to -50mV (bin dependent of course). If your CPU die was from a good yield, then chances are your undervolting range will be really good as well.

It's definitely something you need to test (like in games or benchmark runs) to know what is stable and what isn't, before running it as a daily profile. When crashing occurs, adjust your undervolt and proceed to test again until no crashing or system halts, shutdowns or restarts occur again (complete stability).

Thank you! I thought 38x was default for -100mv to -150mv. I bumped down to -90mv and did some benchs + games. NO crashing! Did 3 hours of witcher 3 ultra 60fps with cpu temp of 80c and gpu 73c. Also 3hours+ Tomb Raider at very high with cpu 80-82, gpu 73c. And amazingly Fire Strike score of 14k+. Great thanks to Miguel as well :)!
To the guy wondering about Backlighting: strangely led still works, as well as backlit keyboard without gaming enter. No clue what's going on there...... Sonic Studio works as well.*

MacLeod
03-21-2017, 04:28 PM
"...backlit keyboard without gaming enter. No clue what's going on there"

Putting this out there...

Keyboard backlight has nothing to do with Gaming Center.

Also, the link from this post above no longer works.
"Skylake CPUs are only supported from ThrottleStop 8.2 forward. Just Download the latest from here:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/thre...-guide.531329/ (http://forum.notebookreview.com/thre...-guide.531329/)"

serBOOM01
03-27-2017, 08:18 PM
Hello, I got a g752vm, but I'm really noob at tweaking pc's, how can I do this safely and efficiently? All I want from my pc is to lower heat with same or similar performance, thank you!

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

MacLeod
04-24-2017, 05:42 PM
Here are the latest versions I have found of XTU and Throttlestop.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download...-throttlestop/

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...ity-Intel-XTU-

MacLeod
04-25-2017, 05:10 PM
New Driver released today!

GEFORCE GAME READY DRIVER

Version: 381.89 WHQL
Release Date: 2017.4.25

Changes and Fixed Issues in Version 381.89

The following sections list the important changes and the most common issues resolved
in this version. This list is only a subset of the total number of changes made in this
driver version. The NVIDIA bug number is provided for reference.

 [Sniper Elite 3]: The game crashes. [1880113]
 [Notebook][eDP panel]: Blue-screen (code 3B) occurs followe by the Recovery screen
during software unbundling process. [1900432]
 [GeForce GTX 1060]: Blue-screen crash occurs pointing to driver (Nvlddmkm.sys)
after the system reboots from sleep mode. [1814559]
 GPU idling voltage has increased. [1904229]

http://www.nvidia.com/download/drive...x/117914/en-us

Darnassus
05-09-2017, 02:27 AM
Excuse the mad bump, let me get this clear... Gaming Center is hijacking the CPU and OC'ing it up without the users consent?

In what way is it doing this? Max multipliers? Increasing Voltage?

What temp is the CPU reaching anyhow? Wouldn't Intel TurboBoost just be the culprit here?

Whenever I buy a laptop I just wipe it and reinstall my preferred OS, but I install the programs it usually comes with, I.E. GPU Tweak, (on my G750JX). I skip ReadyBoost though..

So GameBoost truly is problematic? Why? What exactly is it doing?

red666
06-01-2017, 01:43 PM
After modifying the BIOS as you suggest I can set the Core/Ring OC ratio and I'm undervolting via throttlestop. Everything's stable, fast, cool and quiet. But I need to tinker more (surprise). Can you tell me which of the voltage settings to change if I wanted to undervolt from the BIOS? I'd tinker myself but I know how easy it would be to brick the unit.

iAchilles
07-09-2018, 09:00 AM
hey guys,
just got 7700hq version of G752VS

i'd like to get zero throttling and best possible max performance out of this laptop ....
wanna do probably some undervolting for cpu and gpu ... best setting for cpu in ThrottleStop and for GPU in msi AB curve maybe ?!?!

any help would be appreciated. thx in advance

prevostmario
10-01-2018, 04:07 PM
Is there a way i can get the nbfc voltground profile, the web site is closed.