PDA

View Full Version : Troubleshooting ASUS G73 Touchpad Problems

Pages : [1] 2 3

V2-V3
12-07-2010, 10:12 AM
ASUS G73 Owners experiancing Touchpad issues can try the below steps to resolve touch pad and keyboard problems.

G73 Keyboard and TouchPad FIX (http://pcaudio.ath.cx/stuff/G73_KBTP_Fix.zip)

1/17/2011 Big Thanks to Gary Key and all others at ASUS who worked on this fix!

01/07/11 Update - Please download and use this file for the missing keystroke problem - https://www.yousendit.com/download/R...a0RvQnRjR0E9PQ -
(use the DOS or Win7 method with the latest utilities on our website and on AC power only)
This BIOS should fix remaining problems, based on latest test reports. Please updated to the latest ATK, AMD Catalyst, and Touchpad drivers. Please use the system and if the missing keystrokes problem is still present please follow the instructions in the Synaptics diagnostic PDF and send the output file to me at -gary_key@asus.com-(remove the hypens). We will then contact you for additional information or service.

12/25 Update - New BIOS Link - Please follow below Instructions as Before

The BIOS file and related flashing utilities along with a Synoptics diagnostic reporting utility are available here - http://www.mediafire.com/file/tb5wes98jja966x/G73JhASb.rar for download. All driver download links are based on assumptions that Windows 7 64-bit is the OS choice, please adjust accordingly on the driver downloads if this is not the case.

We highly suggest you visit the G73Jw (having G73Jh page updated) download page here - ASUSTeK Computer Inc. (http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=WzU7IKA6SWdBvaRd) and download the following files and install them prior to flashing the BIOS.

ATK - Version V1.0.0007
TouchPad - Version V15.0.11.0
Others - Intel Engine Management Interface - Version V6.0.0.1179
Others - Keyboard Device Filter - Version V1.0.0.3

I realize there are later drivers available for these programs but at this point we need everyone on equal driver sets based on our testing with this beta BIOS.

After updating your BIOS (use the DOS or Win7 method with the latest utilities on our website and on AC power only) please do the following -
1. Update to the latest VBios if you do not already have it installed - file download and instructions are located here - G73Jh GSOD Vbios Update (http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?519-G73Jh-GSOD-Vbios-Update)
2. Uninstall the Realtek Audio and HDMI driver sets and then reinstall with HD Codec version 2.55 and ATI HDMI 2.55 driver sets if they are not already installed. The download link is here (need to accept the license first) - Realtek (http://www.realtek.com.tw/Downloads/downloadsCheck.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false#High Definition Audio Codecs)
3. Do a complete uninstall of the AMD Video drivers and then install the 10.12 driver set that is available here - http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonmob_win7-64.aspx?type=2.4.2&product=2.4.2.3.36&lang=us&rev=&ostype=Windows 7 - 64-Bit Edition
4. Also, please ensure the latest DirectX update is installed - Download details: DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en) and all important Win7 updates are installed. (http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/thanks.aspx?ln=en&&thankspage=5)

Please use the system and if the missing keystrokes problem is still present please follow the instructions in the Synaptics diagnostic PDF and send the output file to me at -gary_key@asus.com-(remove the hypens).

We have noticed a significant amount of systems returned for the missing keystroke problem have been fixed with the above procedure in early testing and this new BIOS has solved further problems. However, it has not been perfect so we need to collect further information from those users still having problems.

J73JH Users Make Sure you have updated your Vbios to the latest version, there is a step by step guide available here: http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showth...D-Vbios-Update

Also checkto see if your BIOS is up to date the current BIOS version is version 0211

Mark Dano
12-08-2010, 02:02 AM
Thanks! Also what component in the HDD is causing this keyboard disruption?.... how weird!VERY informative! When i get my g73 in two days i will not worry if i get these errors malfunctions probelems

thehex
12-10-2010, 12:04 AM
Here is what happens with my g73jh. With moodpad I see 2 things, sometimes moodpad register the movement but the mouse doesn't move in windows. The second problem is that moodpad sees only the V axis of my movement and display the movement on the far left on the square.

I also found out that when I put pressure about an inch left of the touchpad it becomes impossible to use.

j00zl33t
12-13-2010, 02:38 AM
None of the solutions helped. I even did the Hard drive fix.

So what are the odds of this being a hardware issue? Seems like a good amount of people have these touchpad issues.

edit: I actually found somewhat of a solution. I simply just deleted SynTPhelper.exe. You have to go to task manager, kill the process, then right click on SynTPEnh.exe , choose 'go to file location' look for Syntphelper.exe and cut and paste it to another directory as backup.

So far ive had no issues with the mouse having a mind of its own, but certain spots on the touchpad die out on me still. It varies.

what i'd really like to know is, if this issue is being worked on/looked into by Asus or are we g73 owners left disappointed? It really seems that way at this point. Thank you very much for the GSOD fix but you cant leave us with a defective TP. Asus is dropping down the list in my books.

V2-V3
12-14-2010, 08:31 PM
ASUS is actively working to resolve this issue with a permanent fix. Don't think this is a forgotten issue.

j00zl33t
12-15-2010, 02:35 AM
ASUS is actively working to resolve this issue with a permanent fix. Don't think this is a forgotten issue.

Thank you for the news! :D

Just an update though, with the method i mentioned above, im going at about 4 days w/o any issues whatsoever. I dont know if its just luck or what but ive been fortunate (?) enough for the past 4 days of touchpad use to not have the mentioned issues.

Alot of people are convinced its hardware...personally i think its the drivers. But thats just me.

Again, VERY VERY glad to hear its actually being worked on. Hope an official fix arrived soon.

j00zl33t
12-27-2010, 06:12 AM
any updates?

syzygy51
12-28-2010, 07:02 PM
I have not posted before but I'm having the same touchpad problem, it seems. I haven't noticed trouble with the keyboard. A couple days ago I read elsewhere about the touchpad problem and got the item about opening to the moodpad to solve the problem. I had the problem with the touchpad this morning and opening the moodpad didn't work. It did, however, exhibit a new failure mode. In trying to drag the moodpad to a different spot on my desktop, so I could leave it open and visible, I found that it wouldn't drag horizontally, only vertically. The moodpad showed that the touchpad sensed all of my touches as being against the far left edge of the moodpad and simply moving up and down - even though I was actually using the entire surface of the touchpad. Obviously, this resulted in only vertical movement, as the touchpad thought I was simply moving up and down. After about a minute the problem went away.

I then tried some experimentation. Resting my left wrist on the case while typing now often causes this same problem - the touchpad senses that I am touching the pad against it's far left side. When I lift my wrist, relieving the pressure from the case, the touchpad sometimes resumes normal function. Sometimes, however, even with my wrists both held high off the case, the touchpad still fails in one of two modes:

1. All movement appears to be at the left edge of the touchpad, or,
2. I see movement on the touchpad where it should be, but the cursor doesn't move

It appears to me that this may be two different problems, not just one.

Don't know if this is helpful or not, but I thought any data given to Asus about this might help. Good luck with fixing it. I love the laptop, but this problem is irritating. I'm often in a position where using an external mouse is not an option.

Chastity@ASUS
12-29-2010, 02:13 AM
You can go into the Synaptic app and adjust the touchpad sensitivity, and even mod what regions get registered. This may help with your situation.

MaLDiTo-TeXuGo
01-03-2011, 12:45 PM
I am facing this Touchpad problem as well and I notice that it starts a while after turn it on and when I press around the touchpad.
I think is a notebook's design problem, maybe is lack of support turns that area a little flexible.
If its a hardware problem, how Asus will solve that?

GW2
01-07-2011, 05:19 PM
The p-roblem is that palmcheck crap, but you can't turn it off, I've noticed adjusting it either way makes a huge difference, but I can't recall wheater I set it to max or min. there is also no explanation of what max or min does under the palm check option. the ability to turn this off I believe would solve the issue. because this doesnt happen to me if I uninstall the synaptics drivers and use generic drivers (romoving tap to click and all the things i use lol).

Chastity@ASUS
01-08-2011, 08:03 AM
Unfortunately no one workaround works for all, tis a vexing issue.

Aroth
01-12-2011, 08:01 PM
I long since stopped using the touch-pad myself in favor of an actual mouse. However before I stopped using it I noticed that when the problem occurs and doesn't resolve simply bt changing the posture of my hand, 9 times out of 10 the underside of the laptop is quite warm right bellow the pad. (Just took a look as I was typing and that is EXACTLY where my HDD is located...) It seems to me that the excess heat from the hard drive is interfering with the pad.

p4r1tyb1t
01-14-2011, 04:29 PM
I am an software developer. I bought this computer for 1800$ and I setup this computer with all the software and and move all my data. Now I am stuck with this piece of garbage. I can't return it because I am over 15 days, also I need a computer now. I can't send this to Asus because my data is confidential. I have to wait till the project is over to do some thing about this. Unless i fork out another 2000$ for some thing similar I don't see a solution. I am using mouse, which I hate, I do like using Touchpad. What pisses me off, is that if you call their tech support they won't even acknowledge problem exists. I tell you this is not a software problem, this is a hardware issue. I tried every thing, and I mean every thing. Now I uninstalled the synaptic driver. Its bit of improvement, I don't get scroll mouse pointer, but my mouse just jumps around on the screen or I can't drag a window horizontally.

I want Asus to accept the problem exists, and give people refunds.

CChambers
01-15-2011, 07:23 PM
Just adding that I too have the same problem. I just bought my computer 3 days ago... it drops keystrokes on the keyboard and sometimes the touchpad registers my left palm resting on the laptop to type. Note that my left palm isn't even on the touchpad... it somehow senses it an inch or so to the left of the pad and I've had to change the way I type AND type SLOWER just to get it to work. :(

It's a nice computer.. I'll try moving the harddrive I guess, but I mean... what's with the keyboard dropping keystrokes?

7tron
01-18-2011, 04:52 AM
So now I have read about graphic issues with the G73 and now trackpad issues due to a design flaw??? Definitely scared off from buying one now!!!

Chastity@ASUS
01-18-2011, 07:15 AM
The graphic issues are for the ATI-based JH series, and was addressed with a vBIOS firmware update. The trackpad / keyboard issue only affects a small % of the owner base. I know more people with perfectly working units than issue-ridden ones, so don't let that affect your decision to get one. If you do manage to get one with an issue, Asus will stand behind the product and get it working, plus you have plenty of online support.

V2-V3
01-18-2011, 06:24 PM
ASUS G73 Owners experiancing Touchpad issues can try the below steps to resolve touch pad and keyboard problems.

01/07/11 Update - Please download and use this file for the missing keystroke problem - https://www.yousendit.com/download/R...a0RvQnRjR0E9PQ -
(use the DOS or Win7 method with the latest utilities on our website and on AC power only)
This BIOS should fix remaining problems, based on latest test reports. Please updated to the latest ATK, AMD Catalyst, and Touchpad drivers. Please use the system and if the missing keystrokes problem is still present please follow the instructions in the Synaptics diagnostic PDF and send the output file to me at -gary_key@asus.com-(remove the hypens). We will then contact you for additional information or service.

12/25 Update - New BIOS Link - Please follow below Instructions as Before

The BIOS file and related flashing utilities along with a Synoptics diagnostic reporting utility are available here - http://www.mediafire.com/file/tb5wes98jja966x/G73JhASb.rar for download. All driver download links are based on assumptions that Windows 7 64-bit is the OS choice, please adjust accordingly on the driver downloads if this is not the case.

We highly suggest you visit the G73Jw (having G73Jh page updated) download page here - ASUSTeK Computer Inc. (http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=WzU7IKA6SWdBvaRd) and download the following files and install them prior to flashing the BIOS.

ATK - Version V1.0.0007

I realize there are later drivers available for these programs but at this point we need everyone on equal driver sets based on our testing with this beta BIOS.

After updating your BIOS (use the DOS or Win7 method with the latest utilities on our website and on AC power only) please do the following -
1. Update to the latest VBios if you do not already have it installed - file download and instructions are located here - G73Jh GSOD Vbios Update (http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?519-G73Jh-GSOD-Vbios-Update)
2. Uninstall the Realtek Audio and HDMI driver sets and then reinstall with HD Codec version 2.55 and ATI HDMI 2.55 driver sets if they are not already installed. The download link is here (need to accept the license first) - Realtek (http://www.realtek.com.tw/Downloads/downloadsCheck.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false#High Definition Audio Codecs)
3. Do a complete uninstall of the AMD Video drivers and then install the 10.12 driver set that is available here - http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonmob_win7-64.aspx?type=2.4.2&product=2.4.2.3.36&lang=us&rev=&ostype=Windows 7 - 64-Bit Edition
4. Also, please ensure the latest DirectX update is installed - Download details: DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en) and all important Win7 updates are installed. (http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/thanks.aspx?ln=en&&thankspage=5)

Please use the system and if the missing keystrokes problem is still present please follow the instructions in the Synaptics diagnostic PDF and send the output file to me at -gary_key@asus.com-(remove the hypens).

We have noticed a significant amount of systems returned for the missing keystroke problem have been fixed with the above procedure in early testing and this new BIOS has solved further problems. However, it has not been perfect so we need to collect further information from those users still having problems.

J73JH Users Make Sure you have updated your Vbios to the latest version, there is a step by step guide available here: http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showth...D-Vbios-Update

Also checkto see if your BIOS is up to date the current BIOS version is version 0211

Please post your success or failures with as much information as possible, Thank you.

tapetagias
01-19-2011, 10:24 PM

Hi, upon clicking this link I got an error message from yousendit saying "This download link is invalid and there is no file associated with it." I'm not sure if others are having this issue as well or if its just me, but would it be possible for you to repost it?

Chastity@ASUS
01-20-2011, 04:50 AM
I have a mirror of the beta files in the Driver and Application Reference sticky.

prakash
01-20-2011, 04:20 PM
Hi guys,

I'm facing the same problem with the touchpad on my g73jh as well. I'm using a USB wireless mouse everytime the touchpad acts up. I will try disabling the horizontal scroll bar zone and see if it helps. That zone appears to be all over the touchpad and i can't get the pointer to move! will let you know how it goes.

prakash
01-20-2011, 04:30 PM
Also, how different are these drivers compared to the asus live update ones? Will I be rolling back?

Chastity@ASUS
01-20-2011, 07:32 PM
Let's wait for the upcoming final release first, and then see what will be included.

CChambers
01-22-2011, 06:19 PM
Just came by to post my frustration with this touchpad some more... It seems like a mechanical issue now more than software. I don't see why touching the palm-rest to the left of the trackpad activates it? Every time I go to scroll I freakin shrink the page until I can't read it, and have to zoom in again. rawr.

Chastity@ASUS
01-23-2011, 07:26 AM
Go into the Synaptics settings, reset to defaults, and then adjust the palmrest sensitivity filter up to near max.

durylmartin
01-25-2011, 05:13 AM
I was using the moodpad idea mentioned earlier in the thread. I realized when my touchpad started acting crazy when I went to moodpad when I scroll It shows it on the opposite side(left side of the mood pad) then after clicking it goes back to the right side.

mastaq1
01-25-2011, 08:38 PM
Thank god i'm not the only one with this issue. I have a JW so some of these fixes don't completely work for me(haven't tried them). Hopefully this will be resolved soon. My buddy also has a JH with the issue as well. I haven't noticed the keyboard issue though on my JW.

Chastity@ASUS
01-26-2011, 01:49 AM
As soon as the JH is verified as fixed, then the fix will trickle into the other models.

Efflixi
01-30-2011, 11:04 AM
Using the G73Jh... Having the same trackpad problems that we've been seeing here. Quite disappointing seeing as I've had the laptop for less than a week...

The continuing lack of a fix leads me to believe that this could very well be a hardware issue... in which case it needs to be handled appropriately by Asus as soon as possible.

As I write this the problem seems to have ceased. At this time the hard drive has cooled down as I'm not running any graphically demanding programs, which would also point to it being a problem with the hard drive heat as was previously suggested. I hope not.

In all honesty I love the laptop, but this needs to be dealt with ASAP and it doesn't feel like that's what's happening.

Lets see how Asus deals with this.

Edit: Another observation. The time the trackpad began working was right about the time that the laptop became fully charged.

durylmartin
01-30-2011, 09:10 PM
The touchpad seems to be a little better but still pretty bad. I'm going to run the autoupdate to ver 15.0.11.0 see if it helps. I haven't ever had keyboard problems or video problems just the touchpad. I need this laptop to work correctly because I'm getting ready to start a big project. I hope we can figure out a way to get it fixed soon. I don't have time for all the RMA stuff.

Chastity@ASUS
01-31-2011, 04:54 AM
If the trackpad remains an issue for your presentation, just disable it and bring a mouse. Most systems came with one.

Efflixi
02-01-2011, 02:50 AM
The trackpad will always work when I begin the movement at a the left side of the pad. I'm inclined to believe that the the problem isn't being caused by the heat of the hard drive because the problem seems to only occur when I'm running games.

squibt
02-01-2011, 02:39 PM
Same trackpad problems as everyone else...BUT found a partial temporary solution.

Did not do any reccomended updates yet... other than reinstalling trackpad drivers a few times (15.0.11.0) prior to finding this thread.

My observations are as follows:

I leave my laptop on most of the time. Hibernation is enabled.

I have a fully loaded destop...ie: shortcuts, notes, spreadsheets, pdf's, some exes, all the stuff most people leave on their destop all the time insead of filing them away.

I use Open Office Calc (like Excel) and I find the trackpad acts up really bad when this program is open and I am trying to cut and paste from FF or Opera to Calc. Sometimes the trackpad stops responding to clicks and randomly if at all responds to finger movements. Then the trackpad will stop responding to all input and I have to use the Windows key and keyboard to reboot.

The trackpad acting up seems to start gradually. The longer I go without rebooting (sometimes a few days) the worse it gets. Open Office Calc usually makes the trackpad really act up to the point of not responding at all and I have to reboot. Then all is kinda ok for a little while.

I found that removing all of the icons except for 7 Shortcuts from my desktop helps greatly. My laptop is now functional but not 100%.

Writing this I find the cursor sometimes skips around to another area of this note I am writing.

In FF, Pinch Zoom sometimes randomly activates with a single touch of the mouse pad (no I amd not accidentally touching it with another appendage).... Pinch Zoom just acted up with one finger again as I am writing this.

Sometimes gathering icons to move them to the left or right does not work...I can gather them but only move them up or down.

PS...The Hide Pointer While Typing does not work.

At any rate....get rid of all the desktop icons and see how it works for you. And reboot often. So sad...a $500 Gateway and a cheapo IBM work so much better.....<sigh>

durylmartin
02-02-2011, 01:51 AM
Just a word of encouragement. I'm a manager of computer professionals. I have this laptop and I love it. Yes I have the same problems with the touchpad as everyone else. I'm pretty sure it's embarrassing for Asus to have this problem with their flagship gaming rig so I have confidence they will have a fix soon. If they don't they are going to need to offer a solution of some sort for us. Lets see what the next week or two brings from them and if nothing happens we are going to have to get serious with them about some relief from this problem. I believe Asus is a good brand and they have always stood by their products and will most likely continue to do so. If I used my laptop where it was convienient to use a mouse I really wouldn't care myself but I need the pad to work.

Drago13
02-02-2011, 03:49 AM
I am one of the few people that hates using a mouse. I do alot of graphics and video work, and I like my track pad, and keeping my hands close to the keys. This is very frustrating, the pad always works fine at first, after about an hour or two, it starts acting erratic, and starts doing everything BUT what I want it to. I love my laptop, this rig cost me over 2500. usd. Caused alot of friction with my wife, ( she just doesnt understand..lol..), I hope they get this fixed soon.. :mad:

squibt
02-02-2011, 09:58 PM
Same trackpad problems as everyone else...BUT found a partial temporary solution.

Did not do any reccomended updates yet... other than reinstalling trackpad drivers a few times (15.0.11.0) prior to finding this thread.

My observations are as follows:

I leave my laptop on most of the time. Hibernation is enabled.

I have a fully loaded destop...ie: shortcuts, notes, spreadsheets, pdf's, some exes, all the stuff most people leave on their destop all the time insead of filing them away.

I use Open Office Calc (like Excel) and I find the trackpad acts up really bad when this program is open and I am trying to cut and paste from FF or Opera to Calc. Sometimes the trackpad stops responding to clicks and randomly if at all responds to finger movements. Then the trackpad will stop responding to all input and I have to use the Windows key and keyboard to reboot.

The trackpad acting up seems to start gradually. The longer I go without rebooting (sometimes a few days) the worse it gets. Open Office Calc usually makes the trackpad really act up to the point of not responding at all and I have to reboot. Then all is kinda ok for a little while.

I found that removing all of the icons except for 7 Shortcuts from my desktop helps greatly. My laptop is now functional but not 100%.

Writing this I find the cursor sometimes skips around to another area of this note I am writing.

In FF, Pinch Zoom sometimes randomly activates with a single touch of the mouse pad (no I amd not accidentally touching it with another appendage).... Pinch Zoom just acted up with one finger again as I am writing this.

Sometimes gathering icons to move them to the left or right does not work...I can gather them but only move them up or down.

PS...The Hide Pointer While Typing does not work.

At any rate....get rid of all the desktop icons and see how it works for you. And reboot often. So sad...a $500 Gateway and a cheapo IBM work so much better.....<sigh>

Trackpad problem solved....for me.....
Removing all icons and exe's and stuff from my desktop really worked...but still had a few jummpy issues. So I flashed my BIOS with the 211/t04 BIOS then flashed the VBIOS, then down graded my video driver to 8.782.0.0 and flashed the Intel chipset and finallyset PalmCheck to one notch below full... ZERO issues now. Been up and running with FF, Chrome (both with many tabs), 3 spreadsheets, for 2 days now without and issues. TP clicks are right on and stable, cutting and pasting is fine, Pinch Zoom is perfect.

squibt

durylmartin
02-03-2011, 02:44 AM
Thanks squibt
Would you mind putting links to the exact ones you installed?

squibt
02-03-2011, 04:33 AM
Thanks squibt
Would you mind putting links to the exact ones you installed?

All are from the Asus web site under G73 Windows 7 64 bit

I gotta say this trackpad problem is gone....laptop never worked so good,

squibt

Efflixi
02-03-2011, 04:37 AM
Okay I'm almost POSITIVE that the problem is related to additional heat of my left hand. Try moving the mouse while placing your left or right hand just above the keyboard.

I'm telling you thats what it is, I would suggest lowering the heat sensitivity.

Chastity@ASUS
02-03-2011, 08:15 AM
Yes, all the software linked is for x64 Win 7.

durylmartin
02-03-2011, 11:00 AM
I removed everything from my desktop. No icons or anything left. Haven't had a problem since. Didn't do any upgrades to vbios or ati drivers or keyboard filter. Used the standard 211 bios and 15.0.11.0 synoptics. I never had any video or keyboard problems and didn't want to introduce additional variables yet. I will probably do some more once stability is proven. Paticularly interested in the power saving stuff Chastity mentioned before. By the way Chastity thank you for your dedication.
I installed a blu-ray burner and the blu-ray suite from the apps on the asus site. Works sweet. Waiting for the new intel ssd. Currrently running the vertex 2 which runs good but I like the toolbox with the intel.

squibt
02-03-2011, 12:52 PM
Good to hear....

Let me be clear...when I removed the icons from my desktop...and it was hard to get them to the trash bin because the trackpad refused to move a group of them to the left or right....anyway....after I removed the icons and rebooted, all was fine except for a few issues like the pointer jumping to another section of the screen and the Pinch not working accurately. But the HUGE problem of the documented trackpad issues and it eventually not responding at all was gone. So you may not need to flash at all....try setting the Palm Check high. I would recommend flashing the BIOS though....it seemed to clear up all of the other issues. Now the pointer stays pointed.....no jumping off the a far corner....and the Pinch Works fine...just use a light touch.

Oh...and I am using 15.0.11.0 synoptics.

squibt

durylmartin
02-04-2011, 04:58 AM
Is the 211/t04 bios the one at the beginning of this thread?

squibt
02-04-2011, 11:38 AM
Its in G73 Series Driver and Application Reference sticky under Beta

squibt
02-04-2011, 08:31 PM
Good to hear....

Let me be clear...when I removed the icons from my desktop...and it was hard to get them to the trash bin because the trackpad refused to move a group of them to the left or right....anyway....after I removed the icons and rebooted, all was fine except for a few issues like the pointer jumping to another section of the screen and the Pinch not working accurately. But the HUGE problem of the documented trackpad issues and it eventually not responding at all was gone. So you may not need to flash at all....try setting the Palm Check high. I would recommend flashing the BIOS though....it seemed to clear up all of the other issues. Now the pointer stays pointed.....no jumping off the a far corner....and the Pinch Works fine...just use a light touch.

Oh...and I am using 15.0.11.0 synoptics.

squibt

Just as a test I did this:

My original ATI install worked fine....

Installed Catalyst Install Manager 3.0.745.0 ....Driver 8.683.0.0 ...downgraded to this from Catalyst 10.??? (I thought the driver was 10.XXX)

Mouse problems reappeared...jerky moving icons...mouse jumping across screen
So I uninstalled as follows:

Removed via Control Panel and used ATI Cleaner from sysWOW 64 folder....this time no bat errors due to permissions....got default MS video resolution on reboot

Used AMD_Catalyst_11.1a_Win7_Jan26.exe
Now Catalyst Install Manager 3.0.812.0.....8.820.2.0 (1/19/2011)

All is fine again...

Just a question...why is Catalyst 11.1a ....8.820.2.0 driver? Should it not be 11.1a?

Anyway seems the video driver has a part to play in this TP issue.

squibt

durylmartin
02-05-2011, 12:55 AM
After removing everything from the desktop my touchpad was nearly perfect. BUT it did go crazy for a very short time once. I then did the bios 211/t04 and the ATK driver.
So:
Desktop completely clean
Bios 211/t04
ATK - Version V1.0.0007

All is well so far.

Chastity@ASUS
02-05-2011, 06:33 AM
I posted the Final 213 BIOS, you may want to use that. ;)

durylmartin
02-05-2011, 07:47 AM
Thanks
I just updated to the catalyst 11.1a. I'll go ahead and put the 213 bios in. My touchpad is working much better nearly perfect all the time. I haven't updated the vbios yet, or the audio. Once this is done i want to revisit your power management mods. I almost feel like I should just do a clean install with all the correct stuff. What are you doing for work there in NY?

Chastity@ASUS
02-05-2011, 08:04 AM
I'm currently between jobs atm. Used to be a Senior Field Tech for AMR Meter Ops for ConEd.

durylmartin
02-05-2011, 10:47 AM
Are you tied down to NY?

squibt
02-05-2011, 12:38 PM
Thanks
I just updated to the catalyst 11.1a. I'll go ahead and put the 213 bios in. My touchpad is working much better nearly perfect all the time. I haven't updated the vbios yet, or the audio. Once this is done i want to revisit your power management mods. I almost feel like I should just do a clean install with all the correct stuff. What are you doing for work there in NY?

Just upgraded BIOS to 213....

Desktop completely clean
Bios 213
ATK - Version V1.0.0007
Upgraded TouchPad - Synaptics v15.2.7 Driver package....Feb 6/11
AMD_Catalyst_11.1a_Win7_Jan26.exe

All seems fine but need to test for a few hours with Open Office and a few other things open....

squibt

Chastity@ASUS
02-05-2011, 01:37 PM
Not really, no. NY Metro is a PITA to afford living in. :)

durylmartin
02-05-2011, 07:12 PM
Touchpad went completely crazy to the point of completely unusable after the catalyst upgrade. Used system restore to go back.
So now at:

Desktop completely clean
Bios 213
ATK - Version V1.0.0007
Catalyst - 8.683.0.0
Seems stable so far.

durylmartin
02-05-2011, 07:25 PM
squibt
Both of us lost stability when we changed the catalyst software.

squibt
02-05-2011, 10:01 PM
squibt
Both of us lost stability when we changed the catalyst software. <see my post 45>

<squibt said: Used AMD_Catalyst_11.1a_Win7_Jan26.exe
Now Catalyst Install Manager 3.0.812.0.....8.820.2.0 (1/19/2011)
All is fine again...>

You said: Catalyst - 8.683.0.0
Seems stable so far. ...

Are you at 8.683.0.0 or 8.820.2.0 (the Catalyst 11a install)?....I'm good with 8.820.2.0. And the new BIOS 213 seems stable also...

See my post #45

squibt

durylmartin
02-06-2011, 12:34 AM
I installed the 11.1a and thats when I had problems. Didn't check the version in the hardware manager-couldn't hardly use do anything pad was so bad. I used restore to go back to the original - prior to uninstall. I checked the version and it is 8.683.0.0 on the hardware driver now. Everything is good. It seems to be more related to changing it than the version. You went backwards on your test and it failed. I went forward and mine failed.

squibt
02-06-2011, 02:17 AM
I wonder if you actually removed the drivers correctly...no offense meant...just checking to be sure. If you removed the ATI drivers via Programs and Features in the Control Panel you should also have used the ATI Crap Cleaner (I used it from the /windows/sysWOW64 folder due to permissions errors). When I rebooted I got the very low resolution Windows drivers (big fuzzy icons). Then I installed the 11.a drivers and rebooted to a high resolution screen and no TP issues.

BTW....I also updated ....v93 VBIOS for HD5870M [JH] to fix GSOD issue need bootable usb flashdrive....prior to doing the Catalyst drivers....maybe these steps are the difference between us. At any rate you got the fix and so did I.

Gonna try the....Modded v93 vBIOS with lower timings for battery life (updated)...I'll let you know how it goes.

squibt

durylmartin
02-06-2011, 02:30 AM
Yeah I used the crap cleaner also.

durylmartin
02-06-2011, 02:43 AM
Once this is stabilized I'm gonna do a clean install. Mines working real good so far but yours has the most up to date drivers. I guess I don't really need a clean install mine runs real good but I do want the battery life mod your doing now-if my pad doesn't go nuts when i Install it.

squibt
02-06-2011, 02:51 AM
I wouldn't worry about a clean install as long as your drivers installed cleanly...but its always nice...I know how you feel when all is cleanly installed.....

Gonna do my BIOS tonight....later...

squibt

Chastity@ASUS
02-06-2011, 05:28 AM
8.683 is the old stock drivers iirc.

durylmartin
02-06-2011, 06:48 AM
Yes stock. The new one made the pad go nuts again. I think I need to do the vbios upgrade before the catalyst. Not sure. There are definately interactions going on with all this software. Maybe we can get a good combination that will work. My pad is about 95% good. There are rare occasions, usually when there is demand on the system that it gets unresponsive.

Chastity@ASUS
02-06-2011, 07:52 AM
If you have a JH and you want to run the newer AMD drivers, you have to upgrade the vBIOS to the current release, else you will have all sorts of instabilities.

durylmartin
02-06-2011, 08:26 AM
Thats what I figured. Tnx Should have bought the newer model. Was unaware of the touchpad problem when I bought it. It's ok I think we about have it now. I should buy the other wireless module too. One thing I wanted to mention is that I was using an intel x25m in the 2nd bay with the pagefile on it. I had very little touchpad problems in that configuration. But I took it out and put it in my sony for the road. That was a couple weeks ago. I put it in when I first ought it so I never noticed the problem that much until I took it out. When the new intel ssd comes out I'm gonna move this vertex 2 over for the pagefile+data and use the intel for the os. I have the partition aligned so I can just clone it over without resize and all should be good. By then I should have all the new stuff installed-vbios, catalyst, audio, wireless.

squibt
02-06-2011, 01:20 PM
DONT flash the new vbios...my screen is flickering and jumping a bit....<sigh>

So to flash the new vbios instead of executing vflash I executed od2.bat......(both new files copied to my flash drive....fix_od2.rom).... I see no numbers changed in my bios screen...vbios still ....0383.G730

squibt

Just reflashed my vbios with the new vbios and executing it reading the screen says all files are the same...old and new numbers are the same....screen is still flickering....<sigh>

I'm at AMD_Catalyst_11.1a_Win7_Jan26.exe....From the vbios flash page...."This vBIOS works with driver sets 10.1~10.8 and should work with future releases unless the driver base code is changed again"......maybe I need to be running 10.1 - 10.8

squibt

Flashed it back to the original upgraded vbios.....would be nice if the creators of this new vbios identified it with a new driver number. Screen is ok now.

squibt

Efflixi
02-07-2011, 04:53 AM
I think it's definitely time for ASUS to come out with a 100% assured fix. This is extremely unprofessional.

durylmartin
02-07-2011, 07:23 AM
It would be nice to know more results. Are most people using a mouse. Did they get it fixed and don't come to the forum any more. Are they just living with it and rebooting when there is a problem?

squibt
02-07-2011, 03:55 PM
It would be nice to know more results. Are most people using a mouse. Did they get it fixed and don't come to the forum any more. Are they just living with it and rebooting when there is a problem?

Really.....where is ASUS in all of this? This may be my last ASUS product....sorry to say. I used to be a big fan but this lack of support is getting to me.
Synaptics v15.2.7 Driver package

squibt
02-07-2011, 03:59 PM

Really.....where is ASUS in all of this? This may be my last ASUS product....sorry to say. I used to be a big fan but this lack of support is getting to me.

Latest test....Synaptics v15.2.7 Driver package.....

Trackpad problems reoccurred after a couple days. This morning when I woke up my G73 from sleep the trackpad pointer was screwed up. Same problems as before....pointer not going left, pointer jumping across screen, no tap to click available...

I will roll back to the older drivers and test again.....now at Synaptic 15.1.22.0 driver package

squibt

BTW....I think we can discount a heat problem since the laptop was sleeping all night...in a cool room...in Canada...in the winter...

squibt

Another thing...if you lightly touch the top area of the trackpad frame it disables the trackpad if you try to use it with another finger....even just a warm touch, no pressure, disables it

squibt

squibt
02-07-2011, 06:29 PM
durylmartin,

This is where I'm at....not sure if TP is up to snuff but gonna test for a bit and report back. If you are stable I may roll back my Catalyst driver and test again (if this current Catalyst driver gets funky I mean)

Desktop completely clean....really works...
Bios 213
ATK - Version V1.0.0007
Catalyst - 8.820.2.0.......AMD_Catalyst_11.1a_Win7_Jan26.exe

You are at Catalyst - 8.683.0.0 and are stable still?

Modded v93 vBIOS with lower timings for battery life (updated) did not work for me. Jittery screen, flashing screen so I rolled back.

I bought my G73 JH A1 last year at this time exactly so I wonder if you and Chastity have the exact same model as I do.

squibt

durylmartin
02-07-2011, 08:59 PM
Mine is not stable. It may go a couple days without problems now though. When it starts messing up it is worse than before. Last time I had to restart 3 times before I could use it. It just doesn't do it as often. I have made some changes to the settings that have made a big difference so far but it is so intermitant its hard to tell your results. Sometimes it goes crazy right away and sometimes not for a day or two. I bought mine around Christmas so I've only had it a little over a month. It is the best buy model. I think G73JH-Rbbx05
Just use a mouse if your in your bank account online or you might end up buying a house or something.

squibt
02-07-2011, 10:25 PM
[QUOTE=Just use a mouse if your in your bank account online or you might end up buying a house or something.[/QUOTE]

LoL....Right.....funny....I kept getting 3 and 4 of things I ordered online....now I know why!

So far using the touchpad all day and no issues with my latest configuration. But then who knows what tomorrow may bring....

ROG mouse works great...I guess if you want a good touchpad you have to buy a Gateway....LoL

squibt

durylmartin
02-08-2011, 02:43 AM
I have had good luck so far with palm check off(all the way down)-I believe it is sensing a false input and interpreting a palm touch so it locks the pointer(the four pointed cross, mouse wont move).
Then turning the sensetivity down (about half way) preventing the zooming while trying to move the cursor-another false input this time interpreted as a second finger.
I am not sure about the jumping to the right bottom corner but it may be a false input from palm pressure on the right side. (Outside the pad area)

durylmartin
02-09-2011, 04:52 AM
Still no joy.

durylmartin
02-10-2011, 02:40 AM
I think mine was working better with the 211/t04 bios but it's hard to tell.

Chastity@ASUS
02-10-2011, 12:43 PM
Just wait for the complete package to get released. :)

squibt
02-10-2011, 04:16 PM
I seem to have found the best settings and drivers (for me) after days of testing. No issues so far.

Desktop completely clean....
BIOS 213
VBIOS 93vbios.....files are fix_od.rom, updateod.bat
Modded v93 vBIOS with lower timings for battery life (updated) did not work for me...even with 10-12_mobility...and all the newer versions...Jittery screen, flashing screen so I rolled back.
ATI Catalyst Install Manager 3.0.804.0 .......Catalyst Radeon Display Drivers- 8.801.0.0 (10-12_mobility_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc_ocl.exe) - Some have had minor issues with 10-12 so you may want to try 10.11
Rolled back to Catalyst 8.820.2.0.......AMD_Catalyst_11.1a_Win7_Jan26.exe <sigh>
Rolled back again to Catalyst 11-1_mobility_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc_ocl.exe <double sigh>
These seem to be the best driver combo for me....TP is still a bit funky...
ATK - Version V1.0.0007
One Finger Scrolling OFF, Palm Check MAX, Touch Sensitivity MIDDLE, Momenum at +3/4, NO Edge Motion, Tapping ENABLED
For NewBees...
You should uninstall all ATI from Control Panel (Programs and Features), run ATI Crap Cleaner as administrator from inside sysWOW64, run Driver Sweeper and reboot. You should have a very low res screen at reboot or you did it wrong. Then install your new ATI drivers.

tdude51
02-11-2011, 01:02 AM
I can't believe I've had this laptop so long (since June) and there's still no fix for the broken touchpad. Whenever I try to use my touchpad it's impossible. Sometimes the cursor simply will not move. Sometimes it will move on the right half of the screen and then not move to the left half like it hit an invisible wall. When I'm browsing the web it will sometimes randomly freeze and then cause firefox to start zooming in and out. When I'm moving it around Windows it will stop and show an icon with four directional arrows. It is completely broken and unusable. Not too happy that I spent $1500 on my G73JH-A2 and it behaves like this. It's very hard to take this computer around school with me because I always need to find a place to use a mouse, and that isn't always easy. If anyone from ASUS is reading, PLEASE fix this...if it can't be done I'll happily accept a newer model new in box that doesn't have this issue :)

I thought all the trouble I had to go through to fix my vBIOS was bad, but this is just ridiculous. Oh yeah, I still have the issue of the speakers crackling when I forget to leave a pair of headphones plugged in too. I'm seriously getting fed up with all the things going wrong with my laptop.

Efflixi
02-11-2011, 04:05 PM
Someone needs to slap ASUS in the face.

asusrog
02-14-2011, 07:50 PM
I use a corded mouse since the laptop doesn't have bluetooth inside. my old compaq piv laptop's touchpad still works flawlessly, i can't seem to fathom why asus built such a crappy touhpad on such a superb laptop

Liandros
02-15-2011, 04:51 AM
I had all of the same problems posted regarding touchpad issues. Updated all drivers and bios(as suggested at the beginning of this thread) but still had issues with my touchpad having it's own mind and not working properly half the time! Setting palmcheck to minimum in my synaptics settings temporarily fixed it but 10 minutes later it just started acting up again! It didn't matter what i did(even tried to touch just the touchpad lightly but no matter what it just seems to glitch out eventually no matter what! :(

Pompatus
02-16-2011, 02:00 PM
Hello all,

I've experienced the same touchpad issues that everyone else in this thread has reported. I dont even remember which versions/combinations of bios, video driver, ATK driver, and touchpad drivers I have tried in order to fix this.

I might have stumbled upon the solution. After updating to the latest version of each driver approximately a week ago, my touchpad acted up again. This time, I went into the Synaptec settings and noticed that while I had disabled each "multi touch gesture" individually, the main checkbox regarding multitouch gestures was still checked (I apologize but I'm not at my laptop now so I can't post the exact wording). I unchecked the main multitouch gesture checkbox, and 4 days later i'm happy to report I have not had 1 touchpad issue since.

Either I've just been extremely lucky up to this point; or the bug lies with multitouch gestures within the Synaptec driver.

durylmartin
02-17-2011, 03:10 AM
Thanks for your post. I did that and still had problems. But of course we may not have all the same installs. I currently am back at the stock 15.0.11 version.
I have had the best luck so far with mine by limiting features I don't use. But what seemed to make a difference was in system properties advanced-performance advanced I set the priority to background services. Sometimes responsiveness gets bad but it ususally only lasts a short time and doesn't go completely nutso. I was getting so frustrated, I'm not going to comment. I am trusting that they really are working on this issue. Just trying to make it till they have some update to make it work right. Really don't want to send it in. I got the black tie at bb so if I send it in twice they'll give me a new one if it still isn't working correctly but that takes a lot of time and people are gonna be takin it apart and messin with it. I love this laptop in almost every other way-for what it is but when that pad goes nuts all the time #&^(%*&$&^#%$##. I'm working on another theory but need to test for a few days. Will post if It works.

Pompatus
02-18-2011, 01:25 AM
As I recall, I found all of my current drivers here...

http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?1150-G73-Series-Driver-and-Application-Reference

Specifically, I'm on 213 bios, 11.01a Hotfix 01/26/11 for Mobility, ATK Package 1.0.0007, and Synaptic 15.1.22.0 driver package.

Model is G73JH; purchased at best buy in early Dec 2010. Before I unchecked Multifinger gestures, I was experimenting with Dimming the keyboard when the touchpad error occured. This seemed to help; but did not resolve the issue. Leaving the keyboard dimmed and uninstalling ATK entirely didn't work either.

Honestly, I dont understand what I did to fix it. I'm contemplating ghosting my laptop now in case I ever need to reformat.

durylmartin
02-18-2011, 03:00 AM
You could look thru your restore points and see the order and installs. Believe it or not the order can be very important.

Pompatus
02-18-2011, 12:37 PM
Good call!

I first flashed bios from (I believe) 211 to 213. I then installed ATI, ATK, and Synaptec in that order. At that point, it was "pretty good" but still hiccupped until I unchecked everything under Multifinger Gestures.

I've also seen people mention vbios. I have never touched that; I'm at version 012.017.000.004.0359.a33g

durylmartin
02-19-2011, 02:46 AM
So your touchpad is still good? If so we need to see if we can duplicate the results. 1 thing the 11.01a Hotfix 01/26/11 for Mobility is supposed to be for the newer vbios. However if you haven't had any video issues it might be ok. Have you checked to see if your temperatures are ok on your card? If we can establish the video is ok then we should be ok to test. I would like to get Chastity's opinion on it also if she's around.

Chastity@ASUS
02-19-2011, 08:39 AM
Good call!

I first flashed bios from (I believe) 211 to 213. I then installed ATI, ATK, and Synaptec in that order. At that point, it was "pretty good" but still hiccupped until I unchecked everything under Multifinger Gestures.

I've also seen people mention vbios. I have never touched that; I'm at version 012.017.000.004.0359.a33g

That's the original stock vBIOS. You can open the bottom panel and look on the GPU card. Check the last part of the part number. If it ends in C1x, where x = some number, then you need to update the vBIOS.

Pompatus
02-19-2011, 05:11 PM
I haven't noticed any video or overheating issues to date; but I also haven't put it through a marathon gaming session yet either.

I'll look into the vBios update this evening (depending on how much alcohol I consume). I'm hesitant to update anything at this point since the touchpad finally works, but I do greatly value Chastity's opinion and have to admit she knows more about this model than I do.

MegaSquishyMan
02-22-2011, 04:07 PM
Hey I am new to the forums and joined simply to find some fixes to various problems...namely the touchpad issues. I just wanted to find out if there was a final conclusion on how to fix the issues or if asus was planning on releasing something in the future. I see that some people have had some luck with various configs. I was also wondering if the 213 bios was a better option to go with over the 211beta

Chastity@ASUS
02-22-2011, 06:15 PM
the 213 BIOS is the final release, so use that, plus ATK 1.0.0008 is out too. Just waiting for the final piece to come out, the updated Synaptic driver.

durylmartin
02-23-2011, 02:39 AM
Just a quick update.
I installed all the new stuff but had no luck-it was about the worst it has been. So I left bios 213 in, uninstalled all ATI, ATK and synoptics.( uninstalled everything ati). Rebooted to safe mode ran crap cleaner. Rebooted ran registry cleaner. Reinstalled stock ATI V8.683.0.0 from asus site. Reboot-installed ATK 1.0.0001. Reboot-installed synoptics 14.0.10.0. Rebooted and seemed ok then had problems again. Reinstalled synoptics 14.0.10.0 over the top of existing install-still some problems. Set palm check to max and haven't had a problem since. It seems to me that some of the keyboard fixes have been making my touchpad worse. Since I didn't have keyboard problems to start with I decided to go back to ATK 1.0.0001. This seems to be working pretty good just about normal so far going on 3 days. Right now I can't believe its fixed.

Drago13
02-23-2011, 03:57 AM
yeah this is getting very frustrating... ASUS needs to put a disclaimer on their future sales, that you "MUST" use a mouse, if you plan on using the touchpad more than an hour.. I hate using a mouse.. Its a lap top, meant to be in your lap... Now I see why you get the free mouse with your laptop.. :mad:

durylmartin
02-23-2011, 04:27 AM
Hey I am new to the forums and joined simply to find some fixes to various problems...namely the touchpad issues. I just wanted to find out if there was a final conclusion on how to fix the issues or if asus was planning on releasing something in the future. I see that some people have had some luck with various configs. I was also wondering if the 213 bios was a better option to go with over the 211beta

Right now I wish I could give you a direct answer to that. I am having good luck with 213. You can read my post above. From what I can tell it depends on what issues you have. If its just touchpad related your situation could be like mine. If you have keyboard issues as well then you will have to use the upcoming release to fix it most likely. I am using 213 but when I installed it originally it seemed like my touchpad was worse-Up until I did the reinstall of original drivers(list above)

squibt
02-23-2011, 05:01 AM
Just a quick update.
I installed all the new stuff but had no luck-it was about the worst it has been. So I left bios 213 in, uninstalled all ATI, ATK and synoptics.( uninstalled everything ati). Rebooted to safe mode ran crap cleaner. Rebooted ran registry cleaner. Reinstalled stock ATI V8.683.0.0 from asus site. Reboot-installed ATK 1.0.0001. Reboot-installed synoptics 14.0.10.0. Rebooted and seemed ok then had problems again. Reinstalled synoptics 14.0.10.0 over the top of existing install-still some problems. Set palm check to max and haven't had a problem since. It seems to me that some of the keyboard fixes have been making my touchpad worse. Since I didn't have keyboard problems to start with I decided to go back to ATK 1.0.0001. This seems to be working pretty good just about normal so far going on 3 days. Right now I can't believe its fixed.

durylmartin,

What Keyboard Device Filter are you at...Device Manager.....

squibt

durylmartin
02-24-2011, 02:19 AM

Efflixi
02-24-2011, 03:35 AM
When is the new synaptics release coming out?!?!?

durylmartin
02-24-2011, 04:45 AM
squibt
SUP

squibt
02-24-2011, 05:01 AM
squibt
SUP

Same old....d,

Gonna change my drivers to what you have installed...

<Reinstalled stock ATI V8.683.0.0 from asus site. Reboot-installed ATK 1.0.0001. Reboot-installed synoptics 14.0.10.0. Rebooted and seemed ok then had problems again. Reinstalled synoptics 14.0.10.0 over the top of existing install-still some problems. Set palm check to max and haven't had a problem since. It seems to me that some of the keyboard fixes have been making my touchpad worse. Since I didn't have keyboard problems to start with I decided to go back to ATK 1.0.0001. This seems to be working pretty good just about normal so far going on 3 days. Right now I can't believe its fixed.>

Are you still good? Seems you may be right about the fixes...things are always ok for a bit then back to the same old...

I have tried every combo new and old and still have issues. I'm also using ATK 1.0.0008.

I don't remember having such TP issues when I first bought the unit...maybe the driver updates are all messed up. I have a good mind to do a factory restore to see if I am right.

Later...

durylmartin
02-24-2011, 05:14 AM
Yes-mine is still pretty good. Also agree when I first got it the touchpad seemed to have less issues. I uninstalled everything and cleaned good using the crap cleaner then tune up utilities registry cleaner. I purposely didn't use the atk version V1.0.0005 because it was a later release I believe for keyboard issues. I think the order is important-ati-atk-synoptics. I didn't do anything to the vbios-it is still stock. I never had any video or keyboard issues. I am currently very happy with my lappy agian. Hope that you can get the same results I did. Next I want one of those 120hz screens-I hear they're awesome.

durylmartin
02-24-2011, 06:11 AM
Oh yeah squibt
Make sure after ati uninstall that you uninstall video driver in device manager select the delete driver checkbox when u click uninstall.

Evolent
02-24-2011, 10:02 PM
I'm suffering the same touchpad issues as the rest (G73JH-x3) and am beginning the process of upgrading all relevant drivers as specified by O.P. However, the link to the 'new BIOS' seems to be broken.

The AsusTek support site only lists an older BIOS from last summer.

Help?

durylmartin
02-25-2011, 01:39 AM
I'm suffering the same touchpad issues as the rest (G73JH-x3) and am beginning the process of upgrading all relevant drivers as specified by O.P. However, the link to the 'new BIOS' seems to be broken.

The AsusTek support site only lists an older BIOS from last summer.

Help?

bios 213
http://www.asustreiber.de/G73/G73JhAS.213.zip

Evolent
02-25-2011, 02:47 PM
Thanks! and so begins the patching process :)

Roman Bartusiak
02-25-2011, 03:34 PM
ATK 1.0.0.8 + Bios 213 + ATI 11.2 + Synaptics 15.0.11.0 and issues still exist, but i thin it is quite better

durylmartin
02-26-2011, 04:24 AM
Thanks! and so begins the patching process :)

I have my touchpad palm check at 100% and sensitivity at 60% or 3rd notch from the left. Prior to those settings it was bad.

Josea
02-28-2011, 01:29 AM
ATK 1.0.0.8 + Bios 213 + ATI 11.2 + Synaptics 15.0.11.0 and issues still exist, but i thin it is quite better

This combo, plus the settings from the above post have made me happy, TP is totally useable. I also have all multi finger gestures off. Now if I could only get my spacebartowork consistently.
Plus the control bar below the TP is never going to loosen I would imagine (good thing). Kudos to all who have contributed to this thread.

Stephen Cave
03-03-2011, 03:11 AM
Have had the trackpad issue (erratic movement, jumping, random zoom, deadzones) for as long as I can rememberer. RMA'ed a few weeks ago... Aside from getting some faint screen damage in the form of a horizontal bleed line, I've since restored the system and the touchpad is as bad as ever. Can't really expression the frustration and displeasure I'm having. The entire ownership has been an uphill battle against what is essentially a broken machine; one I cannot get fixed despite still being in warranty. Being forced to use a mouse is not an acceptable option.

dunaj
03-05-2011, 07:33 PM
I think this is purely a software problem. I had him a few months and now, everything works great! I tried all possible combinations of drivers for ATK, Synaptics, etc. and still it was not good. But now since a few days I can not find any mistake! I do not know what happened! I had uninstalled all the drivers for the touchpad. System saw it as a PS2 mouse. Then I gradually bite manually restore driver from the disk. I already have four different versions. Three of them are called as well. I tried them gradually and at the third attempt suddenly work it. GUI reports now that my version Synaptics is v15.0.11 05Mar10. Bios 213.
I have now two usefull aplications in the taskbar: Moodpad and Pressure Graph. Maybe something can also identify with them.

simpleone71
03-06-2011, 03:07 AM
I've tried everything also. Even tried the 2.05 firmware that just came out for the G73jw. Still acts crazy, possibly even worse. Really not wanting to RMA, cause I know it will just mean no laptop for a few months while they don't fix anything. I think at this point I might file a complaint with VISA and also the FTC. Asus has lost me as a customer from their motherboards and everthing else. Would anyone be interested in forming a class action lawsuit?

simpleone71
03-06-2011, 03:07 AM
I've tried everything also. Even tried the 2.05 firmware that just came out for the G73jw. Still acts crazy, possibly even worse. Really not wanting to RMA, cause I know it will just mean no laptop for a few months while they don't fix anything. I think at this point I might file a complaint with VISA and also the FTC. Asus has lost me as a customer from their motherboards and everything else. Would anyone be interested in forming a class action lawsuit?

durylmartin
03-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Squibt
Where u at. Ur TP still working ok

squibt
03-06-2011, 07:51 PM
Squibt
Where u at. Ur TP still working ok

Still here,

Nothing I try fixes this issue. Some drivers are better than others but I still get the pointer seizing up and jumping across the screen. Refresh or F5 seems to fix it for a short while...minutes.

durylmartin
03-06-2011, 09:31 PM
I'm on
vbios 93 no mods
AMD 11.02
bios 213
atk 1.0.0008
syn 15.2.7

I gotta say it's better. Updated vbios then removed everything and cleaned then reinstalled. Really glad I have an ssd otherwise all this uninstalling and reinstalling would have been more of a pita.

dunaj
03-07-2011, 12:11 AM
G73jh
Bios 213
Vbios 93
W7 64 SP1
ATK 1.0.0008
Catalyst 2011.0126.1749.31909
ATI Radeon 8.821.0.0
Synaptics 15.0.11.0
Touchpad work perfect now!

Chastity@ASUS
03-07-2011, 01:42 AM
Once you flash the BIOS, I would suggest uninstalling and installing the Touchpad drivers. There are new settings in the BIOS, and may need to be rediscovered.

durylmartin
03-07-2011, 08:27 AM
Once you flash the BIOS, I would suggest uninstalling and installing the Touchpad drivers. There are new settings in the BIOS, and may need to be rediscovered.

I want to try the Modded vbios for battery life. It seems as though the touchpad is ok now so I should be able to go back to the current config if it fails. Any recommendations on the install before I start?

dunaj
03-07-2011, 06:16 PM
I want to try the Modded vbios for battery life. It seems as though the touchpad is ok now so I should be able to go back to the current config if it fails. Any recommendations on the install before I start?

Videobios not affect the activity of the touchpad. My touchpad worked well regardless of vbios.

Chastity@ASUS
03-07-2011, 08:06 PM
I added a KB / TP fix package for G73 series on my driver Page. Look under Packages.

Contains:

ATK 1.0.0008
Synaptics 15.2.11
213 BIOS for JH
205 BIOS for JW

Confirmed that the 15.2.11 is the driver package we were waiting for.

durylmartin
03-07-2011, 10:04 PM
Awesome, Thanx Chastity

dunaj
03-07-2011, 10:09 PM
Confirmed that the 15.2.11 is the driver package we were waiting for.

Without two finger scrolling :-(

Chastity@ASUS
03-08-2011, 01:30 AM
This may not be the final release of the Synaptics driver, so let's see what gets put out. In the meantime, it's more important to get some stability for the people suffering from the issue.

durylmartin
03-08-2011, 02:12 AM
Chastity for the modded vbios v93 with lower timeings do we use AMD 11.02 or the Beta 11.01a hot fix for mobility

Chastity@ASUS
03-08-2011, 04:04 AM
same compatibility as the standard v93... any driver of 10.3 or later

dunaj
03-08-2011, 11:45 AM
same compatibility as the standard v93... any driver of 10.3 or later

I replaced the 15.2.11.1 with 15.0.11.0, turned two finger scrolling on, and then back from 15.0.11.0 to 15.2.11.1.
Two finger scrolling work!

Roman Bartusiak
03-08-2011, 10:08 PM
It's not solve problem for me :(

Cody Bishko
03-09-2011, 05:14 PM
Hi guys-

I'm looking at this post to fix both my touchpad issues as described and the missing keystrkes (arg typing this rght now is a pain!)....

I've been going thru the pages and I can't quite tell what he exact procedure is for the fix - some say some things work and other say hey don't.... arg missing keystrokes lol

The original post has a link to a package but the link is dead - any chance someone could post an update wth the latest that works or the OP could update the first post with a wrking link on th fix????

Very much appreciated!
Cody

-- Edit: Wanted to mention that I'm using a G73JW - I've noticed most of the fixes are for the JH and the updates on the download page are considerably more for the JH than the JW... :/

MegaSquishyMan
03-09-2011, 06:18 PM
The new "touchpad fix" didn't really fix anything...

Chastity@ASUS
03-09-2011, 06:41 PM
I posted a Keyboard / Trackpad fix package for G73 series on the Driver Page. Flash the BIOS first, then the ATK Package, then the Synaptic drivers. In that order.

dunaj
03-09-2011, 07:26 PM
The new "touchpad fix" didn't really fix anything...

15.0.11.0 work better then 15.2.11.1.

Cody Bishko
03-09-2011, 08:14 PM
I posted a Keyboard / Trackpad fix package for G73 series on the Driver Page. Flash the BIOS first, then the ATK Package, then the Synaptic drivers. In that order.

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm at this page: http://support.asus.com/download/download_item_dna.aspx?product=3&model=G73JW&SLanguage=en-us&os=30

And I don't see any "packages" - I'm guessing I must be looking at the wrong thing here :(

Chastity@ASUS
03-09-2011, 08:17 PM
http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?1150-G73-Series-Driver-and-Application-Reference

squibt
03-10-2011, 04:16 AM
BIG thanx to durylmartin....I seem to have found the best settings and drivers (for me) after weeks of testing different combos. No issues so far.....after a few days...

G73jh
BIOS 213
VBIOS 93
Modded v93 vBIOS with lower timings for battery life (updated) did not work for me...even with 10-12_mobility...and all the newer versions...Jittery screen, flashing screen so I rolled back.
ATI Catalyst Install Manager 3.0.812.0 .......ATI Radeon 8.821.0.0
ATK 1.0.0008...Since I didn't have keyboard problems to start with I decided to go back to ATK 1.0.0001
Synaptics 15.2.7.0...installed this driver set right over my previous set cause I got sick and tired of messing with this computer. This was the last thing I did after MANY MANY combinations of drivers and it seemed to fix my problems....been a few days now and no issues....even with Open Office and a lot of other stuff running at the same time.

For NewBees...
You should uninstall all ATI from Control Panel (Programs and Features), Make sure after ATI uninstall that you uninstall video driver in device manager select the delete driver checkbox when u click uninstall...run ATI Crap Cleaner as administrator from inside sysWOW64, run Driver Sweeper and reboot. You should have a very low res screen at reboot or you did it wrong. Then install your new ATI drivers.

Two finger scrolling OFF
Pinch Zoom ON
Rotating ON
Three finger flick OFF
Middle finger to ASUS ON
Scrolling ON
Pointing PalmCheck MAX
Pointing Sensitivity ON +4
Momenum ON +8 Enable Bounce ON
EdgeMotion OFF
Tapping ON
Buttons ON

These setting can be experimented with for your best settings.

durylmartin
03-12-2011, 07:55 AM
Mine worked well for a while then started acting up again. Still failing. Can't use computer for work at all. Hoping for fix soon or will have to send it in.

squibt
03-13-2011, 01:44 PM
BIG thanx to durylmartin....I seem to have found the best settings and drivers (for me) after weeks of testing different combos. No issues so far.....after a few days...

G73jh
BIOS 213
VBIOS 93
ATI Catalyst Install Manager 3.0.812.0 .......ATI Radeon 8.821.0.0
ATK 1.0.0008...Since I didn't have keyboard problems to start with I decided to go back to ATK 1.0.0001
Synaptics 15.2.7.0...installed this driver set right over my previous set cause I got sick and tired of messing with this computer. This was the last thing I did after MANY MANY combinations of drivers and it seemed to fix my problems....been a few days now and no issues....even with Open Office and a lot of other stuff running at the same time.

For NewBees...
You should uninstall all ATI from Control Panel (Programs and Features), Make sure after ATI uninstall that you uninstall video driver in device manager select the delete driver checkbox when u click uninstall...run ATI Crap Cleaner as administrator from inside sysWOW64, run Driver Sweeper and reboot. You should have a very low res screen at reboot or you did it wrong. Then install your new ATI drivers.

Two finger scrolling OFF
Pinch Zoom ON
Rotating ON
Three finger flick OFF
Middle finger to ASUS ON
Scrolling ON
Pointing PalmCheck MAX
Pointing Sensitivity ON +4
Momenum ON +8 Enable Bounce ON
EdgeMotion OFF
Tapping ON
Buttons ON

These setting can be experimented with for your best settings.

durylmartin...

You are right....started same old crap today....pointer jumping, not responding to clicks....<sigh>...so I went 4 days without issues...last 2 days no reboot. I wonder if it is a driver AND a heat thing. Every time you change drivers the TP acts differently...sometimes good sometimes bad. But rebooting cures the issue for a while. Hooking up a mouse when the TP pointer is not responding correctly allows functionality for the mouse pointer but not the TP pointer (it will move but not click using the TP)...BUT if you use the TP pointer and click with the left or right keybar it works.

Where is ASUS in all of this? They are really starting to look bad. Huge issues with all of their latest machines. Even the newest ones. A person has to rebuild the units drivers and BIOS just to get a functioning laptop....this is crazy.

I see in all of ASUS's silence there is a Trackpad Fix NEW...guess I will give it try...

Lezz
03-13-2011, 04:04 PM
durylmartin...

I see in all of ASUS's silence there is a Trackpad Fix NEW...guess I will give it try...

Hm... just installed it... Synaptics 15.2.11.1 (03Feb11) packed there has no two-finger scroll at all, as I can see... I was starting to get used to it....
However...Setup menu is old-fashioned (15.2.7.C had another) , most checkboxes (if not all)are unchecked by default, and sutup is not self-extracting. This makes me think this is just a beta, and maybe 2-finger scroll would be back soon...

Don't know if all touchpad problems are gone with this fix, since it's not too much time since reboot after those driver install....

---------------------------------
After 5 hours of testing i should say - there were some noticable lag, pointer hanging and so on , but they were not critical. Noticable - yes , but not fatal , like the old days. In whole situation seems much better....
yet, I'm missiing those two-finger scrolling feature... And one-finger scrolling sometimes misses even with large scrolling area....

I'm going to roll back 15.2.7.C drivers, hoping the thing was in ATK or bios update...

MegaSquishyMan
03-13-2011, 09:42 PM
I changed the one scroll option thats something like "scroll under mouse pointer" or "scroll selected object...I chose "scroll selected object"...I have no multi gesture stuff at all...and everything is working ok...for now...will post if it gets crappy again

xensyr
03-14-2011, 04:30 PM
Could this fix be possibly used for a G53JW-XN1?

Kaiapo
03-14-2011, 09:05 PM
Go into the Synaptics settings, reset to defaults, and then adjust the palmrest sensitivity filter up to near max.

This seem to help me...
-my touchpad sometimes zoomed with one finger only on the pad, I've uncheaked that option and also the palmrest and seem ok now!!

Kaiapo
03-14-2011, 10:37 PM
No, still jumping sometimes...
Really strange problem...
Well, expect a fix soon!

Problem seem solved with Synaptics 15.1.22...
Reporting if any problem found...

durylmartin
03-15-2011, 02:09 AM
When your touchpad goes crazy place your palm flat, covering the entire touchpad with mild pressure. Hold for 1-2 seconds then resume working.

Lezz
03-15-2011, 04:27 AM
After a day with 15.2.11.1 i think it's better than 15.2.7.C .... Yet, pointer jumping is not completly eliminated... When it starts, first 'momentum' disappears , and then pointer starts jumping.... This looks much like false-touchs , but abjusting Touch sensivity to maximum makes nothing....

When your touchpad goes crazy place your palm flat, covering the entire touchpad with mild pressure. Hold for 1-2 seconds then resume working.
It seemms like we all got beliefs in some tricks with those touchpads... I periodically clean 'gap' around touchpad with toothpick.

squibt
03-15-2011, 12:41 PM

I usually hold my laptop up over my head with one hand and with the other hand tap my head repeatedly while turning counter clockwise standing on one leg. Be sure to unplug the unit first.
:o

Kaiapo
03-15-2011, 07:51 PM
Yeap problem persists!!
And even get a new symptom, today when I started mine G73, on ie8 the image start shaking like crazy as I moved the cursor!!
Wow... What the #**# is happening...
I restarded ie8 and it was ok...

squibt
03-22-2011, 01:43 PM
Well...at least the G73 Backpacks are in...now I can put it in my new Backpack and carry it over to the door and prop it open for some fresh air....It's hard to be laughed at by a guy using an Acer....<sigh>

Liandros
03-23-2011, 08:42 PM
Hey all,

I got fed up(actually, my hard drive died) and sent my G73JH-A1 in for RMA to replace the HD and at the same time to look at my touchpad issue(same as most of you). Got it back today, a few hours ago actually, and here's what the Asus RMA summary said:

Problem: Other HDD Error
Notice: HDD Failed, changed HDD, tested HDD and memory, NTF

Problem: Touch Pad Error
Notice: touch pad issue, changed touch pad board, tested unit, NTF. Replaced Parts: TOUCHPAD FOR M90. Error Location: TP BOARD.

I haven't had time to test it, since I have to reinstall Win7. Is "Touchpad for M90" the same as the original that came with the G73?

simpleone71
03-23-2011, 10:08 PM
@Liandros - Please let us all know what you find out on the new touchpad, 1) whether or not it fixes the problem and 2) if it is a new, different model/make touchpad. I'm super close to sending my unit in for the touchpad issue. If I knew for sure they could fix it, I'd do it, but I'm hesitant that I'll just get it back and the touchpad still have issues. I have the G73JW though......

shadowen2
03-24-2011, 01:23 PM
I just wanted to throw in a bit about my experience here. I just bought a new G73 in January this year and had the same problem that everyone is describing. I just upgraded from a Dell and I can't say how frustrated I was. My Dell was never right since the day I bought it and I always assumed its problems were a driver issue or whatever. I did get some relief with the driver updates suggested on this forum but it still wasn't right. Alas, my G73 also came flawed and I wasn't about to tolerate it. After about a week of mucking around, and this thread was *very* helpful I decided to call Asus.

They promptly told me to send in my laptop for service, which I did, and it was promptly returned and completely fixed. Now the only erratic behavior I have is a result of my hands accidentally resting on the touchpad. It's 100% fixed and behaves like a different computer. When I got it back the service note said that they'd replaced the touchpad and the top cover of my laptop. I'm not totally sure why the top cover (maybe they were just being nice because I had a few scratches?) but overall my experience was great. I'm proud of Asus for the way they handled it and I'm happy that it's fixed. And it took less than a week to get my computer back, they were fast!

I'd encourage anyone to take advantage of that "best in industry" warranty and just send it in and get it fixed.

xeromist
03-24-2011, 03:09 PM
Thanks shadowen! The problem cases do need attention but it's nice to hear from people whose experience went well from time to time.

durylmartin
03-26-2011, 01:04 AM
It sounds like they have a fix and its hardware. I'm gonna send mine in so I can put it behind me.

squibt
03-26-2011, 02:51 AM
It sounds like they have a fix and its hardware. I'm gonna send mine in so I can put it behind me.

I'm waitin and a watchin...for now mine is behind the door :D

durylmartin
03-26-2011, 04:46 PM
What are u using for a laptop

Liandros
03-26-2011, 05:43 PM
Hey guys,

It's now 4 days later since I got my laptop back; I have had 0 problems with my touchpad since! It's doesn't go randomly crazy or skip or just not work.. even the scroll(right side) works all the time too!

I'm really happy that they appear to have solved this issue and that I was able to send it in to get this fixed! :cool:

squibt
03-27-2011, 06:13 PM
What are u using for a laptop

I have a very reliable Acer....gonna buy Sager from now on...

I wonder with all the problems Asus is having with all their machines even newer ones why more people are not screaming bloody murder...
Some don't think they have a problem because they are not using the TP or very little...try using it all the time...in business meetings... and see how happy you will be. Some are content to totally rebuild a new unit just to get it working properly...Repaste GPU???? Are you kidding me???? I don't get it...sure you want a clean bloat free install but I'm not talking about those people.
Thing is...you should not have to rebuild a new laptop just to get it working properly.... Asus is selling crap...plain and simple. They are not even concerned with fixing previous issues because people are still getting new laptops with the same old issues. No statements from Asus saying "we are working on these issues....we will keep you updated....can we please have some BETA testers for these fixes (controlled environment)" .... no apologies...nothing....
I don't think you should have to send a new laptop in for RMA repeatedly to get one issue after another fixed...and wait weeks for a solution and a return. If you fix it yourself...flash BIOS and the flash goes south you are SOL...some don't have the technical capabilities to do some of these repairs so its RMA time again for every issue....TP, overheating GPU, GSOD, keyboard, backlights, sudden shutdowns, shuttering screens, lockups, video freezing, display issues....these are new machines!!!!

<M4rkh0lm ...."So basically, I'm sitting here with a expensive computer wich served me great the first two months but now makes me feel like i just aswell could be sitting here with some old piece of crap. It's not cool to play or really do anything with these freezes and noise. ">

<John25 ...."I've recently bought an Asus G73JW and I have a freezing-type of problem with it">

<Rahul Dasari ...."Hello i just bought a new ASUSg73jw lappy, which is great..but recently i have noticed that the screen is not displaying colors correctly">

No need to go on and on....

Sure all laptops will have issues but this is ridiculous. In all my years in the computer industry I have never had a laptop or a client with a laptop that had so many issues...on going issues that are prevalent in each successive newer laptop coming out. And the silence from Asus is frustrating.

But Asus doesn't care do they?....end of rant...!

squibt.....EX Asus user...

MegaSquishyMan
03-27-2011, 11:24 PM
I have a very reliable Acer....gonna buy Sager from now on...

I wonder with all the problems Asus is having with all their machines even newer ones why more people are not screaming bloody murder...
Some don't think they have a problem because they are not using the TP or very little...try using it all the time...in business meetings... and see how happy you will be. Some are content to totally rebuild a new unit just to get it working properly...Repaste GPU???? Are you kidding me???? I don't get it...sure you want a clean bloat free install but I'm not talking about those people.
Thing is...you should not have to rebuild a new laptop just to get it working properly.... Asus is selling crap...plain and simple. They are not even concerned with fixing previous issues because people are still getting new laptops with the same old issues. No statements from Asus saying "we are working on these issues....we will keep you updated....can we please have some BETA testers for these fixes (controlled environment)" .... no apologies...nothing....
I don't think you should have to send a new laptop in for RMA repeatedly to get one issue after another fixed...and wait weeks for a solution and a return. If you fix it yourself...flash BIOS and the flash goes south you are SOL...some don't have the technical capabilities to do some of these repairs so its RMA time again for every issue....TP, overheating GPU, GSOD, keyboard, backlights, sudden shutdowns, shuttering screens, lockups, video freezing, display issues....these are new machines!!!!

<M4rkh0lm ...."So basically, I'm sitting here with a expensive computer wich served me great the first two months but now makes me feel like i just aswell could be sitting here with some old piece of crap. It's not cool to play or really do anything with these freezes and noise. ">

<John25 ...."I've recently bought an Asus G73JW and I have a freezing-type of problem with it">

<Rahul Dasari ...."Hello i just bought a new ASUSg73jw lappy, which is great..but recently i have noticed that the screen is not displaying colors correctly">

No need to go on and on....

Sure all laptops will have issues but this is ridiculous. In all my years in the computer industry I have never had a laptop or a client with a laptop that had so many issues...on going issues that are prevalent in each successive newer laptop coming out. And the silence from Asus is frustrating.

But Asus doesn't care do they?....end of rant...!

squibt.....EX Asus user...

I'm with ya man. This is BS. Sager is the way to go.

xeromist
03-28-2011, 04:20 PM

I can't speak for ASUS as to whether their response has been appropriate to the degree of problems or not because I have no idea just how widespread the issues are. I can say I haven't seen any evidence that this is happening with all of the machines. Sure, we have people complaining here on the forums but that's a small fraction of the units sold. We'd have to know how many RMA's ASUS is processing and I doubt we'll ever get that info.

Happy people don't come here to post how their laptop is working for them, upset people with broken laptops do. For that reason alone the activity on this forum isn't an accurate measure of anything.

I'm not saying you should stay with ASUS after having a bad experience, it happens sometimes and I don't blame you, just offering a counter point.

Lezz
03-28-2011, 10:51 PM
OK, so, there's some new or just not broken touchpads availible in service....

The question is - what if I don't whant to loose a month or so to send it there...

Is there any part ID availible?
Can I just order it and install it myself? (even if I'll loose the warranty)

I don't think my touchpad issue is critical for me, but if there's an option to fix it - I'll do so.

Chastity@ASUS
03-28-2011, 11:34 PM
OK, so, there's some new or just not broken touchpads availible in service....

The question is - what if I don't whant to loose a month or so to send it there...

Is there any part ID availible?
Can I just order it and install it myself? (even if I'll loose the warranty)

I don't think my touchpad issue is critical for me, but if there's an option to fix it - I'll do so.

http://pcaudio.ath.cx/stuff/G73_KBTP_Fix.zip

Flash to the appropriate BIOS, and install the 2 driver updates.

Lezz
03-29-2011, 11:14 AM
Chastity,
I've already done this, and even shared some of my experience here:
479 480
(don't how how to proove 205 bios, but it's there)

Hm... just installed it... Synaptics 15.2.11.1 (03Feb11)
<...>
After 5 hours of testing i should say - there were some noticable lag, pointer hanging and so on , but they were not critical. Noticable - yes , but not fatal , like the old days. In whole situation seems much better....
yet, I'm missiing those two-finger scrolling feature... And one-finger scrolling sometimes misses even with large scrolling area....

I'm going to roll back 15.2.7.C drivers, hoping the thing was in ATK or bios update...

After a day with 15.2.11.1 i think it's better than 15.2.7.C .... Yet, pointer jumping is not completly eliminated... When it starts, first 'momentum' disappears , and then pointer starts jumping.... This looks much like false-touchs , but abjusting Touch sensivity to maximum makes nothing....
<....>

( Shortly after I've installed 15.2.11.1 I rolled back to 15.2.7.C and then back to 15.2.11.1 again. )

So, aren't there some hardware fix?
Is it a new, different mode touchpad?
Any parts reseller with such touchpads? (I've found none :mad: )

Chastity@ASUS
03-29-2011, 12:07 PM
http://www.asusparts.eu

simpleone71
03-29-2011, 02:47 PM
I believe the part # is 13GNY81AP081-1, but good luck finding it in stock anywhere. I don't want to be without mine either for the 10 days (not counting shipping times). Also, I have upgraded my ram and wireless card. One Asus person said I had to remove these upgrades. Now if any of you have installed a DIMM in the 4th slot, you know what a pain that is. But today, I had another Asus rep say that I didn't need to take my upgrades out, just note them on my RMA request? Not sure who to believe now, but def. don't want to loose my 16 GB of ram. I think Asus could def. be handling all this better. I even asked them if I have to remove the ram at that point I have the top panel and touchpad off, would they just send me the part. They said NO.

xeromist
03-29-2011, 03:20 PM
Personally I would consider removing it. Chances are nobody would even bother touching it since it's not related to the problem, but on the chance your paperwork gets crossed then you'll spend a ton of time trying to get things straightened out. It's the same reason that people recommend you make a backup of important files before you send a computer for service.

simpleone71
03-29-2011, 03:27 PM
I'm leaning towards removing my upgrades also. I'm also pulling both hard drives (they have been upgraded too) and sending it in with no hard drives (I used the old drives elsewhere). Asus said that would be ok to send in with no drives. As you can tell my frustration is quite high that I have to pull all these upgrades to get this work done, when they could just send me the part.

xeromist
03-29-2011, 03:48 PM
Yeah, having the ability but not the parts to do it yourself is frustrating. Unfortunately they don't know you and can't trust your skills and judgement. They have to lay hands on it and confirm the problem directly and have the bad part cataloged so they can potentially charge the supplier. Plus, if something else breaks or is discovered to be already broken, they can fix it. If you accidentally broke the connector while fitting it or got a DOA part then you'd be screwed.

Bongo
03-29-2011, 05:09 PM
ASUS,

I am new to the forum and only here to get answers regarding the touchpad issues with my G73JH.

I dealt with a few customer service reps who eventually got me to RMA my laptop a couple weeks ago. I got it back and now I'm still having the same issues. I've contacted the reps I already dealt with to RMA it the first time and a week has gone by with no answer. I emailed the tech support website and still nothing in return... What is going on? Am I being placed on the back-burner because I have the infomous touchpad problem? THIS IS RIDICULOUS! Its a brand new laptop and it was $1300.00.

What is going to be offerred for consideration when all of this is finally resolved? Hours of wasted time removing and replacing personal info before and after each RMA... weeks at a time without a laptop... So far I've given you 1300 bucks and what have we gotten in return? You have hundreds of customers who won't be caught dead with an ASUS laptop unless you offer us something to make it right.

Sorry for the rant, but i've been holding this in for a while and I'm sick of my brand new laptop not working properly. Once again the consumer suffers.

What is ASUS going to do to make this right?

squibt
03-29-2011, 06:19 PM
I can't speak for ASUS as to whether their response has been appropriate to the degree of problems or not because I have no idea just how widespread the issues are. I can say I haven't seen any evidence that this is happening with all of the machines. Sure, we have people complaining here on the forums but that's a small fraction of the units sold. We'd have to know how many RMA's ASUS is processing and I doubt we'll ever get that info.

Happy people don't come here to post how their laptop is working for them, upset people with broken laptops do. For that reason alone the activity on this forum isn't an accurate measure of anything.

I'm not saying you should stay with ASUS after having a bad experience, it happens sometimes and I don't blame you, just offering a counter point.

I think you are missing the point....there are numerous units being sold day after day with the same problems...newer designed units have the same problems as older units. There are a number of sites with Asus owners complaining of the same things. These problems are not simple USER ERROR issues or NEWBY issues....they are design flaws. There are a large number of Asus owners complaining of the lack of service, lack of response, lack of knowledge, and just a general lack of good customer service from Asus. No one should have to send in a new unit for RMA...repeatedly...
Sure...all computers have issues and all sites have people reporting these issues...Usually a variety of issues that can be expected from a complicated state of the art machine. But this is a little different...
Just look at the list of issues one would have to address before getting to a stable state....and this with a new machine....its disgusting and frustrating for a lot of Asus owners. Asus has left their customers to find their own way in a sea of issues...nothing on their main site addresses these concerns. You are lucky if you found this site.

The warranty will not apply if:

the product has been tampered, repaired and/or modified by non-authorized personnel......nice!

Warning:

Warranty invalid if serial label is removed, broken.
Warranty invalid if disassembly by end-user or non-ASUS-authorized repair centers.......really nice!

NBR...regular contributor....The g73 is awesome, and has even less problems than the g60. Especially if you have a g60j/jx...very amusing...or...sad?

Bongo
03-29-2011, 07:23 PM

This is BS btw... the other half of the ROG forum is a bunch of happy people talking about gaming... and to another point... If you go to a GMC/Chevy forum (or any other forum for that matter) of course you are going to have your complainers but the majority of posters are satisfied with their purchase... unlike the entire* G73 section of this forum. It is flooded with unhappy customers.

ASUS needs to step up. I'll ask again... are they waiting for a class action lawsuit to deal with their customers?

xeromist
03-29-2011, 07:24 PM
I think you are missing the point....there are numerous units being sold day after day with the same problems...newer designed units have the same problems as older units. There are a number of sites with Asus owners complaining of the same things. These problems are not simple USER ERROR issues or NEWBY issues....they are design flaws.

I realize there is more to your complaint but I was just addressing the assertion that all units are having these problems. I also wasn't implying that you're somehow at fault (or I certainly didn't intend to if you read it that way).

My personal theory (based entirely on conjecture) is that ASUS has QC issues with the touchpad supplier. Some people have reported the problem going away after RMA so that tells me that at least *some* of the touchpads are working as intended. But as to what % fail or why, who knows?

Kaiapo
03-29-2011, 09:13 PM
Mine also has problems...

And I also think that I bought this laptop with the intention of spending a good amount of cash for a really good equipment.
With the latest and best materials avaiable has advertised by Asus...

And now I have a problem in a very simple and mandatory thing in a laptop... A TOUCHPAD!!

The big problem is that now I don't even know if it's worth to send it to RMA, because they don't even garanty that it will resolve the problem...

jwilfong
03-30-2011, 06:22 AM
I've read of many problems with the touchpad with many solutions. I wanted to add mine. I was going to wait a few days to see if it sticks (many solutions only last 2-4 days then the problem returns) but I thought I would just throw this out there for others to try too.

How many of you have Trend Micro installed? My unit, G73JW, came with it preinstalled. Since it was expired and I was having track pad issues (total freeze-ups of the pad, sporadic or sluggish movement, etc) I uninstalled it. My track pad is now responding beautifully. I do have to watch where I rest my left palm as it seems to register it but the pad responds great.

-john

squibt
03-30-2011, 05:45 PM
Not me but this snip taken from the NBR....the g73 touchpad issues thread...Hello everyone

I finally got rid of that extremely annoying TP issue

I'm now on my fourth days with my new TP and no more skipping mouse etc. You probbably know what i mean

Resently i ordered some new Touchpads for my G73JH one for the G73JW and one for the G73JH. They was 100% identical, so no point in odering two. I only did this to be 100% sure of getting one that worked lol.

But anyways i have now installed the new Touchpad and it works perfectly, i immediatly felt a huge differencd in the feel and responsivnes. So it was definetly worth the money and the wait, and it only took about 40 minutes to replace it.

It think it was very easy to replace, but i do have some experience fixing things but anyone can do this with a bit of patience. The TP was taped so it was abit hard to get it off, but i hated that TP so much so i just ripped it off. And i think it's very important to clean with som alcohol before attaching the new TP.

I'm not sure if i got a newer model but it doesent matter because it works, here is the model numbers if anyone thinks about doing the same.

Synaptics TM1254 (920-001308-01RevB) Originaly installed by Asus.

Synaptics TM1254-002 (920-001752-01RevA) Ordered from Asuparts.eu

The shipping was very fast, reason my shipment got delayed was that i ordered an extra hhd bracket. But this was not i stock, so i cancelled it and got the TP 5 Days later.

I did take some pictures along the way so i will post later. I really hope this can help someone, because that TP problem has been extremely annoying. I much rather have a crack in my display

Btw i have tried alot of tips and trick to fix this without replacing it but nothing worked, so in my oppinion this is a defect in the Touchpad and no software or bios upgrade will ever fix it.

Finally i can start enjoying this Beast

Here's some pictures i took along the way. It won't bother me no more

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/514545-g73-touch-pad-issues-10.html

But....another user...

Had touch-pad issues so I sent it in for an RMA finally.

Received it back with a still failing touch-pad and screen damage as light bleeding. Sent it in for a second RMA a few weeks ago, received it back with a newly failing screen light bleed, and an almost better track-pad (seems to work alright if I can manage not to wrest any portion of my hand along the bottom edge of the computer within a 3 inch distance of the pad).

Chastity@ASUS
03-30-2011, 06:09 PM
This is BS btw... the other half of the ROG forum is a bunch of happy people talking about gaming... and to another point... If you go to a GMC/Chevy forum (or any other forum for that matter) of course you are going to have your complainers but the majority of posters are satisfied with their purchase... unlike the entire* G73 section of this forum. It is flooded with unhappy customers.

ASUS needs to step up. I'll ask again... are they waiting for a class action lawsuit to deal with their customers?

Maybe if you did some less ranting and instead gave us a little info like what solutions have you tried to rectify this? Have you even tried the Keyboard / Trackpad Package with updated firmware and drivers that's specific to solving this issue?

And btw, this forum is NOT filled with hundreds and thousands of upset users on the subject. In fact the count is under 20, and considering that TENS OF THOUSANDS of units have sold worldwide, this issue affects less than 1%, which is normal for the industry. (My JH didn't work right either, but I focused on a workaround until a proper fix was developed instead of ranting.)

So let's focus on the issue at hand, and let's exhaust all the available solutions before going ballistic.

Hit the Driver and Application Reference sticky (everyone should check the stickies first!) and download teh package, and apply the 213 BIOS and update the included drivers. (It has 2 Synaptics driver packages now, see which one works better for you.)

simpleone71
03-31-2011, 01:16 AM
I have finally decided to send mine in and let Asus fix it. I've heard some not being fixed when they come back, but also heard of them being fixed upon return. Wish me well and I'll update everyone when it comes back.

dunaj
04-05-2011, 01:47 PM
Hi. I have new touchpad. Work fine! RMA - the only way.

durylmartin
04-07-2011, 01:32 AM
I sent mine in. Just got it back. They replaced the tp. I let them know I tried all software fixes and that it was an intermittant problem. So far zero issues.

Kaiapo
04-21-2011, 11:49 PM
Also send mine to RMA...

Let's see how it goes!!

andycapp
04-23-2011, 03:34 PM
Maybe if you did some less ranting and instead gave us a little info like what solutions have you tried to rectify this? Have you even tried the Keyboard / Trackpad Package with updated firmware and drivers that's specific to solving this issue?

And btw, this forum is NOT filled with hundreds and thousands of upset users on the subject. In fact the count is under 20, and considering that TENS OF THOUSANDS of units have sold worldwide, this issue affects less than 1%, which is normal for the industry. (My JH didn't work right either, but I focused on a workaround until a proper fix was developed instead of ranting.)

So let's focus on the issue at hand, and let's exhaust all the available solutions before going ballistic.

Hit the Driver and Application Reference sticky (everyone should check the stickies first!) and download teh package, and apply the 213 BIOS and update the included drivers. (It has 2 Synaptics driver packages now, see which one works better for you.)

Though I'm a bit ashamed to admit it, I am one of many who have the same ongoing problems, but until now, have been silent. Instead, I look towards existing forums hoping that someone's outrage over the issue and the dialog that follows has lead to a solution that I could simply implement.

I mention this, and the title of my post is 'silent majority', because I specifically registered with the site to leave this post on behalf of those who have this problem, but feel helpless, and thus do not post. Or perhaps we have followed one or more of "load this driver, unload this driver, run this driver cleaner, add this one back, but not before doing this, tap three times on the right bottom corner of your PC, hold your computer at a 45 degree angle, etc., etc." and simply feel -- but do not express -- the outrage expressed by others on this forum.

Yes, Chastity, you are correct -- rationally, if we want to solve this as a group, we should be using a combination of deductive reasoning, collection of data by those affected to look for correlations, updated drivers, etc.

But WE are not the ASUS quality control group. WE are not beta testers. WE are not getting paid for any of this, in fact we are LOSING valuable time trying to solve the issue.

So what you are hearing, is likely not just 'complaints without a willingness to help,' but more so people (like myself) who have paid a LOT of money (in my case almost $2K) and are incredulous at both a seeming lack of recognition of the problem by the vendor (which creates its own issues), and the expectations of basic quality being met for buying a machine of this supposed caliber.

I could walk you through all the steps I've been through to address this issue, but frankly I'm weary. I've wasted so much time on this, and IT IS NOT MY JOB to fix a very fundamental flaw.

So, like many others in the 'silent majority,' I will go on (after this post) in silent frustration, using a wireless USB mouse, and try not to look at that large piece of useless real-estate formerly known as the touch pad.

Andy Capp

PS - With all of this said, thank you Chastity, for the help that you have provided thus far. For those who are willing to try whatever it takes to get this resolved, your attention to the matter (as opposed to e.g., ASUS) has been admirable.

durylmartin
04-23-2011, 06:37 PM
Nice to see the forum back. Please read my previous post. If you have tried everything and it still doesn't work then send it in. I have heard a few bad stories but I've heard a lot of good ones as well. Make sure they know you've tried all the software fixes and the problem is intermittant and may appear to be fixed for up to 3 days but will become persistant again at any time. I did the same thing as everyone else with all the installations. Some people apparently did resolve their problem with software/firmware but not me. I finally sent mine in and it was gone about a week and a half. They called and said they couldn't find a problem and I told them again that it does that but it will become unusable at any time and may stay that way for days. I told them that I know software won't fix it. Key thing here is to be straight to the point and be polite. The whole idea is to get your laptop back as fast as possible and 100% fixed so make sure they know the facts and don't cause a reaction to your anger on their side. Believe me I was frustrated beyond words. I used the tracking system and most of the time was consumed by shipping. It didn't take them long to replace the tp. Make sure if they call that you find a way to get back to them as soon as possible. Mine went thru best buy, not sure if that made a difference but they called them as well and that is how I was able to answer their question(I actually told the best buy geek squad guy and he told them). Mine works 100% awesome, does every function correctly and there are no other problems with the service or my laptop.

Kaiapo
04-23-2011, 08:28 PM
Though I'm a bit ashamed to admit it, I am one of many who have the same ongoing problems, but until now, have been silent. Instead, I look towards existing forums hoping that someone's outrage over the issue and the dialog that follows has lead to a solution that I could simply implement.

I mention this, and the title of my post is 'silent majority', because I specifically registered with the site to leave this post on behalf of those who have this problem, but feel helpless, and thus do not post. Or perhaps we have followed one or more of "load this driver, unload this driver, run this driver cleaner, add this one back, but not before doing this, tap three times on the right bottom corner of your PC, hold your computer at a 45 degree angle, etc., etc." and simply feel -- but do not express -- the outrage expressed by others on this forum.

Yes, Chastity, you are correct -- rationally, if we want to solve this as a group, we should be using a combination of deductive reasoning, collection of data by those affected to look for correlations, updated drivers, etc.

But WE are not the ASUS quality control group. WE are not beta testers. WE are not getting paid for any of this, in fact we are LOSING valuable time trying to solve the issue.

So what you are hearing, is likely not just 'complaints without a willingness to help,' but more so people (like myself) who have paid a LOT of money (in my case almost $2K) and are incredulous at both a seeming lack of recognition of the problem by the vendor (which creates its own issues), and the expectations of basic quality being met for buying a machine of this supposed caliber.

I could walk you through all the steps I've been through to address this issue, but frankly I'm weary. I've wasted so much time on this, and IT IS NOT MY JOB to fix a very fundamental flaw.

So, like many others in the 'silent majority,' I will go on (after this post) in silent frustration, using a wireless USB mouse, and try not to look at that large piece of useless real-estate formerly known as the touch pad.

Andy Capp

PS - With all of this said, thank you Chastity, for the help that you have provided thus far. For those who are willing to try whatever it takes to get this resolved, your attention to the matter (as opposed to e.g., ASUS) has been admirable.

Very well said!!
I also apreciate Chastity posts, but I find it hard to go easy on the subject...
Before I bought mine, of course I've checked pretty much every labtop avaiable to buy on the market where I live, thinking I want to spend some money but want something nice, with the latest things avaiable and all that... Of course this one was the chosen one, for many reasons and I still think I've made a good purchase...
One of the things I read in Asus site about it and it's still there about this labtop was as follows:
"Equipped with the most powerful components available today, including the latest Core™ i7 processor and top-end ATI® Mobility Radeon® graphics "

This wasn't the only reason I bought this labtop but was nice to know that!
Considering all this and because I really like my labtop, faced with the problem I tried to find a solution, learned what is BIOS,VBIOS and all the other things and like Andy Capp said, lost a lot of time on it.
I came to the conclusion that I wouldn't take it anymore and sent it in...
Now after 2 weeks, I still haven't got it back and I just hope that they will recognize the problem...

Chastity@ASUS
04-24-2011, 01:46 AM
Feedback on RMAs have shown it's usually a 3 week turnaround, so you shouldn't have much longer to go.

@andycapp: Oh I do agree, and to make the matter worse, it's been around in a few models. However, I'd like to point out that the company's new Tech Marketing Manager is actively seeking feedback on these issues, and making sure R&D address the issues. This is where we've gotten these updates.

Now to address some of the issues:

1) Wacky Tackpads - If you have done all the software updates, and the trackpad still gets wonky, some people have had success by opening up the upper panel to get to the trackpad's underside, and cleared away all the little tabs of tape that are there. Idea is some feel the tape may be collecting a static charge. Others have inserted shim spacers to give the trackpad some space from the upper layer. Idea here is that when you rest your hands on the surface, the edges of the trackpad may be getting pressed, and causing errors.

2) Most have had success with the driver + BIOS for the keyboard. If you are still having issues, then I would suggest uninstalling the keyboard drivers, reboot, doing a full reset of the BIOS to defaults, then booting windows and installing the KB Filter + ATK 1.0.0008. The lag issue may be due to certain "default" settings assumed by the drivers are being mis-set. The updated drivers define more of these settings, and may require the hardware to be redetected.

3) If all this fails, then it's time to RMA and get it fixed pronto.

montwells.com
04-27-2011, 07:36 PM
This has been an ongoing problem for me... this touchpad issue with no legitimate fix is ridiculous. Usually someone comes up with a solution by now so I thought, since it appears to be caused usually by some other process interfering that it isn't the touchpad that is the issue. So I looked in the device information to try to figure out which controller it was connected to. Under Parent in details it shows 3B09, which turns out to be the HM55 Express Chipset Interface Controller. Looking at the driver of this controller it says 2006 was the latest update, click update driver returns you have the latest driver. Did a little search and found this link...

http://www.bravofiles.com/driver-Intel_28R_29-HM55-Express-Chipset-LPC-Interface-Controller-_2d-3B09.html

I downloaded the newest one which is 2009... NOT 2006, have yet to experience the issue yet. I have done limited testing so far, but it cant hurt to upgrade the parent controller.

Chastity@ASUS
04-27-2011, 07:57 PM
If you download the latest Intel INF and run it with the -overall command, it will update this driver to 9.1.1.1022, along with the other drivers. But thx for the info page. :) I would suggest anyone who is having trackpad issues to check their version installed as well.

durylmartin
04-29-2011, 07:02 PM
Haven't been on the forum much since I got it fixed. Just wanted to thank Chastity and Squibt and others for your inputs here. I miss checking on the forum all the time but I'm glad my laptop works good. I may be getting a new one with the new processor. Thought about having the new motherboard installed on this one cause I have so much invested in it. Gotta decide, the only advantage I really see for me is longer battery life.
Any recommendations.

Kaiapo
04-30-2011, 12:03 AM
Got mine back today...
Touchpad changed and looking good so far!

The best solution in my opinion...

Christopher
04-30-2011, 05:14 PM
Please Help, send e-mail for the fix on this cursor issue....Its so frusturating is there an older synaptics download that works, i don,t need any of the zoom or auto scrolling i just want my @#$% cursor to work!!!!

Chastity@ASUS
04-30-2011, 06:41 PM
All the software mentioned is on my Driver and Applications page in the Stickies, Christopher

simpleone71
05-01-2011, 01:02 AM
I sent mine in via RMA and have it back and although the mouse is better, I still have times where it acts up. I've tried all the updated drivers including the intel chipset ones and nothing helps. I'm really at my ropes end with this. I am an IT tech and buy a new laptop almost every year. I don't won't to send it back again with a RMA, cause they didn't fix it the first time. I can't afford to replace it yet and am very disappointed and disgusted with Asus on this laptop. They really should take ownership of this problem for all users. I'm a potential repeat buyer and certainly recommend to all users at my company and friends/families. I'm sure any business I might could cost them is not going to hurt them in the least, but still they should care. I'm trying not to be angry or ugly here. So does anyone have any more suggestions? Or have I just wasted $1800 on this thing?

durylmartin
05-01-2011, 05:12 PM
I sent mine in via RMA and have it back and although the mouse is better, I still have times where it acts up. I've tried all the updated drivers including the intel chipset ones and nothing helps. I'm really at my ropes end with this. I am an IT tech and buy a new laptop almost every year. I don't won't to send it back again with a RMA, cause they didn't fix it the first time. I can't afford to replace it yet and am very disappointed and disgusted with Asus on this laptop. They really should take ownership of this problem for all users. I'm a potential repeat buyer and certainly recommend to all users at my company and friends/families. I'm sure any business I might could cost them is not going to hurt them in the least, but still they should care. I'm trying not to be angry or ugly here. So does anyone have any more suggestions? Or have I just wasted $1800 on this thing?

When I sent mine in they couldn't find a problem with it and probably would not have replace it without my insistance. Did they replace yours? The other factor is there is also a chance you could get another bad one. Everyone I have heard from that got the tp replaced said it was fixed. Mine is 100%. I believe Squibt replaced his on his own. If you don't want to wait again that might be your best bet. I had the same feelings-ready to just give it away or sell it real cheap. Now that it's fixed I can't think of a laptop I would rather have outside of the same one with the newer processor and that doesn't get me much at all. The asus repair depot is near me so mine didn't take long. I must say the shipping took almost all the time. Might I ask which version you have JH,Jw,Sw etc.

Meligy
05-01-2011, 05:26 PM
In Sydney, Australia I had one G73JH last September bought from Queenland. I sent it to ASUS Queensland twice (Via the seller) and to Asus Sydney once. It was to check the motherboard first time and the touchpad all 3 times.
After last time seller offered to give me a totally free new machine instead, a G73JW, in the hope the one won't have the problem.

Unfortunately it does have the same touchpad problem. And unlike previous months when I worked at a customer who had its own PC, now I use my own laptop at the current customer, so, can't afford sending the laptop for weeks again. And I bet people will start questioning whether the laptops really have problems or I am just complaining, especially the touchpad issue happens totally random and sometimes I can have 1-3 hours without problems.

Very ugly experience. While I thought by looking at the laptop specs that most my next (bi-annually) laptops will be ASUS as well, of course now I can't even imagine how I did ever think such...

Meligy
05-01-2011, 05:29 PM
I also once considered replacing it or at least cleaning it as some other forums suggest, but, I opened the laptop and looked at the plastic cover between it and the HDDs, and thought I think it'll be too hard for me to disassemble the entire laptop including screen and keyboard just to reach that one.

And ALL ATK and Intell INF updates and Synaptic versions from official site and ASUS site and even forums like this one didn't make it go. They touchpad drivers change the severity of the problem or the annoyance but it still remains very annoying at least measure.

Changing settings like sensitivity and palm check changes how the touchpad behaves in normal conditions but it does not change how frequent it just decides to stop. I think the problem is related to 2nd imaginary press that is (again) not affected by palm check or anything, because, when the punch zoom setting is one, I get more zooms than stops.

durylmartin
05-01-2011, 05:54 PM
I had previously heard of people doing RMA's and getting it back still not working. But if you look around the forums it appears that the recent returns are coming back fixed. The problem with mine was it could go days working good. Then it would get real bad and might not get it to work good at all for days. It was vexing and aggravating and I completely understand your frustration. I must say that I believe they know how to fix it now. I honestly believe no one knew before and I'm sure ASUS doesn't want a bunch of mad customers. If you don't at least try to get it fixed your frustration will only get worse. If there is a local store rep it might help. I sent mine in through best buy. I don't know if they can do it for you if you didn't buy it from them but maybe you could find a way. Maybe a best buy warranty? I do know they can contact ASUS directly. I know it sounds bad to spend money but if yours is like mine was-it's better to spend a little bit and get it fixed than to spend another 1500 or more. Keep in mind I have a lot of friends with other high end laptops with problems as well so you could end up with something even worse. To be honest with you I have had more problems with high end ones than ordinary ones. I think because they are always pushing the envelope to deliver leading edge stuff but not sure. My friends M17x has been down hard twice and is currently down.

simpleone71
05-01-2011, 11:28 PM
When I sent mine in they couldn't find a problem with it and probably would not have replace it without my insistance. Did they replace yours? The other factor is there is also a chance you could get another bad one. Everyone I have heard from that got the tp replaced said it was fixed. Mine is 100%. I believe Squibt replaced his on his own. If you don't want to wait again that might be your best bet. I had the same feelings-ready to just give it away or sell it real cheap. Now that it's fixed I can't think of a laptop I would rather have outside of the same one with the newer processor and that doesn't get me much at all. The asus repair depot is near me so mine didn't take long. I must say the shipping took almost all the time. Might I ask which version you have JH,Jw,Sw etc.

Mine is a JW. According to the sheet that they sent back with the laptop, they did replace the touchpad. It is alot better than it was before I sent it in, but still has it's times. Before I sent it in, it would sometimes go crazy and sometimes just stop moving all together. Since I've got it back it never goes crazy, but will just stop working. I can be sliding my finger across the pad and in mid-slide the mouse just stops moving. Then for the next few moments it will act "sluggish" and act like it's in molasses.

@durylmartin - Mine was repaired on 4/6/11, so I felt like they knew how to fix them by then. I mean they immediately replaced the touchpad without any fuss. I am somewhat tempted to order a new touchpad from asusparts.eu and install it myself. I'm still just hesitant to do this without knowing it will be a fix, but my frustration will probably have me doing it soon. I have opened a new ticket for now. Anyone spoke to someone higher up then the tech or RMA group on this that I might could speak too?

Kaiapo
05-03-2011, 12:34 AM
3 days in and started to have some problems!! It's making the pinch zoom with one finger, stop moving...
They said they replaced the touchpad and the problem still persists!
And now what!! RMA again? Another 3 weeks without laptop?

I can see that I'm not the only one...
Some advice?

BlowFish
05-03-2011, 10:56 AM
@andycapp: Oh I do agree, and to make the matter worse, it's been around in a few models. However, I'd like to point out that the company's new Tech Marketing Manager is actively seeking feedback on these issues, and making sure R&D address the issues. This is where we've gotten these updates.

Do you have an email address? I have sent numerous emails to Gary Key requesting an update on the situation (one a month) and every single one has been pointedly ignored. Frankly that just adds insult to injury.

phrazes9776
05-04-2011, 04:16 AM
Does anyone have any experience with an authorized Asus repair center rather than a RMA? My previous RMA took approximately 3 weeks and I'd like to go to a nearby center (Datavision in New York City). I've tried all of the software solutions for my touchpad and while it did improve, it still acts up from time to time. Is the repair center fully capable of doing everything that Asus can? Will I have to leave my laptop there? Should I attempt opening my laptop and messing with the tape under the touchpad? Please advise. Thank you.

Airedale
05-04-2011, 04:48 PM
I am having what I assume is the same or related problem with my new Asus G73SW that I just got from Amazon last week. I haven't noticed any keyboard problems, but my touchpad will just randomly stop working after working for some amount of time. I have plugged in an external mouse, but I generally prefer to use the touchpad. I don't know if it's worth keeping this laptop or returning it at this point, because I don't want to get caught in a cycle of endlessly trying to get it fixed.

aramirez86
05-05-2011, 11:46 AM
I think i might have found a fix, i have a g73jh, i removed ALL of the grey tape on the back of the touch pad, this might have been creating pressure on the tp. So far the TP is much more responsive and ive yet to have problems i usually see after 5 mins of booting into windows, its been 1hr so far.

also ive enabled all the extra features of the TP and i no longer see the "one-finger pitch zoom" and seems to work perfectly so far.....really hope it stays this way, ill update this post later

Here is a video on how to dissassemble the laptop: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp90M_N6dzs

andycapp
05-05-2011, 10:10 PM
I am having what I assume is the same or related problem with my new Asus G73SW that I just got from Amazon last week. I haven't noticed any keyboard problems, but my touchpad will just randomly stop working after working for some amount of time. I have plugged in an external mouse, but I generally prefer to use the touchpad. I don't know if it's worth keeping this laptop or returning it at this point, because I don't want to get caught in a cycle of endlessly trying to get it fixed.

I would suggest returning it before you get overly invested in your machine and start loading up software and your documents to the point where I am -- where the hassle of even a 3+ week RMA is too much time to be without my primary working PC.

If you read through the 20 pages of this post (don't), or a similar lengthy discussion on Notebook Review (don't), you'l find seemingly dozens of 'techniques' for addressing the issue, and not a SINGLE ONE is proven to work in ALL CASES. You'll read that even when returning to ASUS for repair, many were rewarded for their patience by another defective touchpad.

What you'll ultimately conclude, is that while some of the many (time consuming) techniques offered genorously by the community will work for some, not for others, or work for a while, there's nothing out there that works for everyone, always, and ASUS clearly hasn't a clue, or they'd at least know what to do when one is returned for repair.

If I added the $ VALUE of all the time I've wasted trying to address this issue, only finding myself back with the external mouse (sometimes minutes, sometimes hours after the latest 'fix'), I really think I could have spent $1,000 more for a different machine and came out the same.

Well, not the same, because I'd probably have a working touchpad.

Gonna run now. The poster before you has a demo on how to disassemble my G73 and remove parts from it to try to make the touchpad work, and I can't wait to get my toolkit out...:mad:

Cheers,

Andy Capp

simpleone71
05-06-2011, 12:47 AM
@Airedale - I'd return it if I knew then what I know now :o

@aramirez86 - Keeps us all posted. I've disassembled my laptop once to get to that 4th DIMM slot and would do it again to remove all the tape if that might fix this issue. I've heard a few others remove the tape and it helped.

Christopher
05-06-2011, 06:12 AM
Ok I downloaded the software and tried applying it, my cursor still glitches alot...Please make a fix that is not a joke.

aramirez86
05-06-2011, 12:15 PM
OKAY, its been a day since i removed the grey tape behind the touch pad, i used the laptop for most of the day, i encountered NO PROBLEMS,i keep expecting the mouse to stop responding since i've been dealing with this problem for almost 8 months. Cant believe it was caused by something so simple... Hopefully this isn't an isolated fix and everyone can do this and enjoy this awesome touch pad now that it works like it should lol..

squibt
05-06-2011, 12:54 PM
Nice...I'm gonna give it a try in a few days when I get some time....It's funny though how updating/changing drivers, BIOS, and unrelated drivers to TP makes quite some difference. Right now I've got a better responding TP after a multitude of updates and changes but it is still not right...just functional for longer and not as bad. Still...when my TP gets unresponsive, (every other day), it shuts my productivity right down. I would have sent my laptop in for RMA but I really can't afford the down time or hassle of possibly getting it back with nothing done or worse...damage. Seems this is a hardware issue more than anything else. I will take it apart and see if it works and I'll say it again... Asus has lost my respect and my business.

88ways
05-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Just doing my part to keep Andy Capp's perfect post as newest. We are all basically screwed until ASUS comes up with a fix, if they ever do. For now, a mouse is the only way to use my expensive new laptop.

I would suggest returning it before you get overly invested in your machine and start loading up software and your documents to the point where I am -- where the hassle of even a 3+ week RMA is too much time to be without my primary working PC.

If you read through the 20 pages of this post (don't), or a similar lengthy discussion on Notebook Review (don't), you'l find seemingly dozens of 'techniques' for addressing the issue, and not a SINGLE ONE is proven to work in ALL CASES. You'll read that even when returning to ASUS for repair, many were rewarded for their patience by another defective touchpad.

What you'll ultimately conclude, is that while some of the many (time consuming) techniques offered genorously by the community will work for some, not for others, or work for a while, there's nothing out there that works for everyone, always, and ASUS clearly hasn't a clue, or they'd at least know what to do when one is returned for repair.

If I added the $ VALUE of all the time I've wasted trying to address this issue, only finding myself back with the external mouse (sometimes minutes, sometimes hours after the latest 'fix'), I really think I could have spent $1,000 more for a different machine and came out the same.

Well, not the same, because I'd probably have a working touchpad.

Gonna run now. The poster before you has a demo on how to disassemble my G73 and remove parts from it to try to make the touchpad work, and I can't wait to get my toolkit out...:mad:

Cheers,

Andy Capp

durylmartin
05-07-2011, 12:53 AM
OKAY, its been a day since i removed the grey tape behind the touch pad, i used the laptop for most of the day, i encountered NO PROBLEMS,i keep expecting the mouse to stop responding since i've been dealing with this problem for almost 8 months. Cant believe it was caused by something so simple... Hopefully this isn't an isolated fix and everyone can do this and enjoy this awesome touch pad now that it works like it should lol..

Whats your status now. Still working?

aramirez86
05-07-2011, 05:40 AM
Whats your status now. Still working?

yep, just got home from 8 hour drive, touch pad still works flawlessly, good thing too since housekeeping stole my bluetooth mouse at the hotel i was at >_<

Meligy
05-07-2011, 11:08 AM
Are there any steps that can be skipped from the disassembling video steps? It looks like the fix for most people but really scared to take off the screen and keyboard specially.

Update:

In other words, can I take off the upper panel entirely without having to take off the keyboard and all stickers under it?

I think the monitor step will be required still. That's fine

Chastity@ASUS
05-07-2011, 11:50 AM
Not really, you will need to follow the video.

squibt
05-07-2011, 11:51 AM
Are there any steps that can be skipped from the disassembling video steps? It looks like the fix for most people but really scared to take off the screen and keyboard specially.

Update:

In other words, can I take off the upper panel entirely without having to take off the keyboard and all stickers under it?

I think the monitor step will be required still. That's fine

You can't skip the keyboard step...there are screws under it you need access to.

For the keyboard try taking a hot cloths iron and heat a clean cotton cloth at least as big as the keyboard and put it on the keyboard for about 5 mins before you are ready to take it off. Maybe do this before you remove the screen so you can flip the laptop over, the keyboard on the towel, (on the edge of a table so the screen hangs down) and get a little more heat on that tape. Should come off easier that way...no damage to KB.

Meligy
05-07-2011, 12:04 PM
Thanks a lot for your reply.

Actually, it's not the keyboard itself that scares me but the many sensitive parts just under it like small wires and such. If it's all screws and so, that'd be totally fine.

Anyway, won't take the thread away from main topic any more...

Just to others, it sounds removing the tape from the touchpad itself looks the most working solution. As mentioned before no specific solution works for all, but this one seems to work for more people than others, and, it's very sensitive thing to try, so, be more than careful when trying it.

simpleone71
05-07-2011, 02:51 PM
Guess I'll try the tape thing tonight. So from what I'm understanding from everyone, I just need to remove any tape that is going from plastic top to the touchpad correct? Once I've done this, I'll keep everyone posted on my results, but I'm sure hoping for the best.

simpleone71
05-07-2011, 11:17 PM
Ok, I have removed all of the silver/fabric like tape from the touchpad and will keep everyone posted. Mine always seemed to like to mess up after being on a day or two.

sanzolome
05-08-2011, 06:01 PM

I will give it a try, hopefully it will work on mine... FINGERS CROSSED ;)

aramirez86
05-09-2011, 04:25 PM
fyi all;
mine is still working without fault after few days of removing the tape

simpleone71
05-10-2011, 12:45 AM
So far since I took the tape off on Sat. night, mine has not messed up at all! I'm still sorting of waiting for it to mess up in the back of my mind, but I have to say it's never gone this long without acting up.

PCGuy72
05-10-2011, 05:04 AM
Have the same issue -- still. I sent my laptop to them 4 times to fix this and other issues. Each time I got it back it had more problems then when I sent it to them - missing screws, no network adapter installed, keyboard not installed securely, etc. Then after still having this issue I decided to suck it up and just order the part at my own expense and fix it myself. When I called Asus support the genius that answered the phone told me she couldn't find the part number and I should look for it myself! Pathetic customer service! I have been in the IT field for over 16 years and have dealt with my RMA issues and I have never delta with anyone or any company as incompetent as Asus. I have put this laptop up for sale and look forward to never owning another Asus product again.

Chastity@ASUS
05-10-2011, 05:59 AM
With that number of repairs, you can request a replacement unit.

Arik5405
05-11-2011, 03:34 AM
any issues after removing the tape yet?

Arik5405
05-11-2011, 06:18 AM
I went ahead and removed the tape and so far it's working great. I will update if I have any problems. I also went ahead and applied some arctic silver to the cpu/gpu while I had her all torn apart. :cool:

aramirez86
05-11-2011, 11:32 AM
mine is still working...4 days so far, also i think my touchpad buttons are softer than before...which is good thing for me

Arik5405
05-12-2011, 03:07 AM
So far after 24 hours I am happy to report I am no longer having issues with the touchpad! Removing the tape seems like the way to go!

madnj
05-13-2011, 12:27 AM
All, this is a +1 for tape removal 100% resolving my touchpad issues.

Let me first give a bit of background so that you can understand what needs to be done.

Initially, when my touchpad was messing up, I tried all of the different software solutions with never any lasting success. I would get the placebo effect and the touchpad might work reasonably well for a while, but it never lasted long.

Recently, I saw some of these posts indicating the issue might be a hardware issue, and I started looking at the easiest way I could try some of the posted solutions.

Initially, I just popped out the front 3 screws on the bottom edge so I could pop the touchpad up enough to get a look beneath it. Doing this, I was able to see the tape surrounding the touchpad, so I decided to attempt to maneuver into the case and start removing tape. I ended up pulling my hard drive and removing a few more screws, and I ended up able to get at all of the tape on the underside of the touchpad. To make a long story short, I pulled all of the tape off and to also ensure that the touchpad wasn't touching anything else on the interior of the case I put a couple of pieces of foam tape in the case around the touchpad (not touching, just to prevent the touchpad internals from touching the chassis).

After being initially hopeful that my touchpad issues were resolved, the problems resurfaced and seemingly worse than ever.

I had hoped I wouldn't have to do a full teardown to address this issue, but ultimately that's what I ended up doing.

When I got to the underside of the touchpad, I noticed that there was a significant amount of tape gunk left where I pulled the tape off. After considerable scrubbing, I was able to remove 99% of the tape residue and I crossed my fingers in the hopes that the touchpad performance would improve.

FINALLY. After reassembly, my touchpad has NONE of the prior issues, and I am pleased to finally report that I have a working touchpad. It amazes me that the decision to put tape on and around the bottom of the touchpad caused such issues and that through an entire generation of G73JH laptops the issue was never identified and remedied.

While it's a bit of a daunting task considering that pretty much the entire laptop has to be disassembled and a number of fragile ribbon cables need to be removed and reattached, ultimately the fix makes using the laptop much more enjoyable. Instead of smacking my laptop every time the touchpad arbitrarily loses its mind, I can just enjoy the amazing performance this machine offers.

I don't recommend disassembly if you aren't prepared and haven't at least watched the disassembly youtube video multiple times, but I will say that the end result (for me at least) was well worth the pain.

Kaiapo
05-13-2011, 08:25 PM
Nice... All this trouble in a €1700 laptop and it seems to be a tape!!

When are they recognizing the problem...
1 RMA, 3 weeks without laptop and come back the same!
Now I have to open my laptop to remove a tape, this looks like a do it yourself thing!
Self service is the way!! Nice ASUS...

chiroben
05-14-2011, 05:21 AM
Hey all. I have been having exactly the same issues and tried ALL of the software solutions to no avail. Whenever I use a different laptop it makes me very sad about how beautifully the touchpad works by comparison. I have watched the youtube video a number of times and I just know that if I was to try it I would completely destroy my laptop.

I am asking anyone from ASUS: What is my next step? I have sent laptops off for RMAs before and it has always turned into an exercise in frustration and usually futility also.

What do I do now?

sanzolome
05-14-2011, 09:20 AM
All, this is a +1 for tape removal 100% resolving my touchpad issues.

Let me first give a bit of background so that you can understand what needs to be done.

Initially, when my touchpad was messing up, I tried all of the different software solutions with never any lasting success. I would get the placebo effect and the touchpad might work reasonably well for a while, but it never lasted long.

Recently, I saw some of these posts indicating the issue might be a hardware issue, and I started looking at the easiest way I could try some of the posted solutions.

Initially, I just popped out the front 3 screws on the bottom edge so I could pop the touchpad up enough to get a look beneath it. Doing this, I was able to see the tape surrounding the touchpad, so I decided to attempt to maneuver into the case and start removing tape. I ended up pulling my hard drive and removing a few more screws, and I ended up able to get at all of the tape on the underside of the touchpad. To make a long story short, I pulled all of the tape off and to also ensure that the touchpad wasn't touching anything else on the interior of the case I put a couple of pieces of foam tape in the case around the touchpad (not touching, just to prevent the touchpad internals from touching the chassis).

After being initially hopeful that my touchpad issues were resolved, the problems resurfaced and seemingly worse than ever.

I had hoped I wouldn't have to do a full teardown to address this issue, but ultimately that's what I ended up doing.

When I got to the underside of the touchpad, I noticed that there was a significant amount of tape gunk left where I pulled the tape off. After considerable scrubbing, I was able to remove 99% of the tape residue and I crossed my fingers in the hopes that the touchpad performance would improve.

FINALLY. After reassembly, my touchpad has NONE of the prior issues, and I am pleased to finally report that I have a working touchpad. It amazes me that the decision to put tape on and around the bottom of the touchpad caused such issues and that through an entire generation of G73JH laptops the issue was never identified and remedied.

While it's a bit of a daunting task considering that pretty much the entire laptop has to be disassembled and a number of fragile ribbon cables need to be removed and reattached, ultimately the fix makes using the laptop much more enjoyable. Instead of smacking my laptop every time the touchpad arbitrarily loses its mind, I can just enjoy the amazing performance this machine offers.

I don't recommend disassembly if you aren't prepared and haven't at least watched the disassembly youtube video multiple times, but I will say that the end result (for me at least) was well worth the pain.

I still have problems, do i have to untape the plated part where the grey tape was?

simpleone71
05-14-2011, 01:17 PM
I still have problems, do i have to untape the plated part where the grey tape was?

Remove all the grey (silver) tape from the touchpad. I think I had around 4 or 5 pieces. I left the yellowish tape that holds the ribbon cables on. It has been over a week now and the touchpad hasn't messed up even once. I will remind everyone that although I removed the tape, I did do an RMA on my laptop first and they replaced the touchpad. Some have said that the new touchpads are a version 2 model. Don't know if anyone has removed their tape to fix their laptop without sending it in and having a new touchpad installed?

madnj
05-14-2011, 01:23 PM
When I removed the tape on mine, I removed every piece that was on or around the touchpad. I didn't have to remove anything BUT the tape, but there were about 5 pieces of tape on mine if I recall correctly.

The tape orientation on mine was:
1 piece that went from the buttons to the left side of the pad.
1 piece that ran along the left edge
1 piece that ran along the right edge
1 piece that ran along the bottom that covered up the 2 ribbon cables
1 piece that ran from the top of the pad to what looks almost like a square sensor or something in the middle of the touchpad (when exposed it's kind of copper colored, whereas the rest of the touchpad is covered with a silver foil)

I didn't remove the silver foil or anything else, I just removed the tape.

What I found though, was that removing the tape left a considerable amount of "gunk" behind. I used a spray cleaner and paper towel to remove the tape gunk (which as mentioned previously wasn't easy). I had to use quite a bit of force to get all of it off, but I think that's what did it for me. When I initially removed the tape, I didn't clean up after, so I believe the cleaning was necessary in my case.

I also put a couple of pieces of foam tape in my case to keep my touchpad from touching any other internals, but at this point I'm not sure it was necessary considering that my touchpad acted up really bad until I disassembled and cleaned the underside of the pad surface.

I'm going on a few days post fix, and I haven't experienced any of the previous pad problems.

sanzolome
05-14-2011, 03:44 PM
oook, i will clean every tape junk from the silver plated protection, or whatever its function is..

thank you guys

Zlord
05-14-2011, 05:11 PM
I have a JW and I just got mine back from service yesterday. I'm not sure if they've done anything or replaced the touchpad (paperwrok doesn't say anything really). The touchpad response feels better but I've also now been able to consistently make it stop working again.

I noticed that if I press down on the right side of the palm rest, the touchpad will start acting up and if I put enough pressure the touchpad will stop working altogether.

This is most likely a design defect due to: a) The flexible rubber palm rest, b) the slanted curve of the palm rest making it really thin in the front, and c) The very large size touchpad.

All these elements combine to make the touchapd susceptible to warping issues when you place your wrists on the palm rest. I suspect the touchpad circuitry is extremely sensitive to any warp which in turn causes the erratic behavior. This also may explain why removing the foam tape helps as it releases some pressure and allows the touchpad some wiggle room. This is my theory at least.

If this is the problem indeed, then it's a fundamental design problem and there really nothing Asus can do about it short of recalling every single unit. Which is why they've been silent about it. I smell a pending class action suit in the future of this unit.

sanzolome
05-14-2011, 05:27 PM
When I removed the tape on mine, I removed every piece that was on or around the touchpad. I didn't have to remove anything BUT the tape, but there were about 5 pieces of tape on mine if I recall correctly.

The tape orientation on mine was:
1 piece that went from the buttons to the left side of the pad.
1 piece that ran along the left edge
1 piece that ran along the right edge
1 piece that ran along the bottom that covered up the 2 ribbon cables
1 piece that ran from the top of the pad to what looks almost like a square sensor or something in the middle of the touchpad (when exposed it's kind of copper colored, whereas the rest of the touchpad is covered with a silver foil)

I didn't remove the silver foil or anything else, I just removed the tape.

What I found though, was that removing the tape left a considerable amount of "gunk" behind. I used a spray cleaner and paper towel to remove the tape gunk (which as mentioned previously wasn't easy). I had to use quite a bit of force to get all of it off, but I think that's what did it for me. When I initially removed the tape, I didn't clean up after, so I believe the cleaning was necessary in my case.

I also put a couple of pieces of foam tape in my case to keep my touchpad from touching any other internals, but at this point I'm not sure it was necessary considering that my touchpad acted up really bad until I disassembled and cleaned the underside of the pad surface.

I'm going on a few days post fix, and I haven't experienced any of the previous pad problems.

i get off all the gunk but i still have problems. so i took off the silver plated cover and now everything's fine.. is here any risk on this?

madnj
05-14-2011, 05:48 PM
Sanzo, I don't really think there's a risk because I'm not sure the silver cover is/was even doing anything. Mine may actually have had something to do with that as well, but cleaning/rubbing the silver cover might have actually just smoothed it out to the point where it was smooth against the surface of the copper colored pad underneath. The actual pad surface is that copper colored surface, and I dont' know that the silver covering actually is doing anything at all.

If you say that removing the silver cover made it work for you, that may even be another "fix". As I said, I didn't go that far since mine was fixed by removing the top and sufficiently cleaning that surface (which may also have served to smooth out that surface fixing the problem).

I think though that we're getting closer to really identifying what the underlying problem is, and it appears to me that it's related to whatever ASUS did to cover the pad itself underneath.

Please update the post if your issue is fully fixed now or if it comes back. In my case, I truly feel the issue is fixed because I haven't been able to get it to act up since disassembly.

I also installed the newer G74 multi-touch driver which allows for 2 finger scrolling and a few other features. The version listed in the G73 driver reference from Chastity either gives you less features (no 2 finger scroll), or gives 2 finger scroll but using Fn+F9 to disable/enable the pad kicks off a Windows Interactive Service message that repeatedly pops up. I think the G74 driver actually works best for me (provided the pad is working fully).

wteo40
05-14-2011, 06:51 PM
no site da asus tem apenas atk packge ate o 5 nao tem ATK - Versão V1.0.0007

sanzolome
05-14-2011, 08:26 PM
finally my touchpad is working ok, thnk you for all your support you really helped me out.

Can you post the link to te g74 touchpad driver?

sanzolome
05-16-2011, 02:28 AM
After 2 days still no issues with my touchpad, but i want to know where to download the g74 multitouch drivers

madnj
05-16-2011, 02:33 AM
Sanzo,
I got my touchpad driver from: http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G74Sx&p=3&s=336

Also, I just did a complete reinstall of Windows since I recently got a new 500GB Seagate Momentus XT, and it took a couple installs (including installing the 15.2.7 drivers and then uninstalling and installing the ones I linked) before the full multitouch with 2 finger scroll was there. I'm loving the 2 finger scrolling though now that my pad is 100% stable. Before that would have driven me nuts, but having a good pad makes that function work really well.

pnikkosis
05-16-2011, 03:03 AM
I have installed every driver and flashed both bios and I still can't use the touchpad.
Flashed both bios and vbios. Installed latest drivers: atk, synaptics, ati. Everything.
I use it less that 5 minutes and then it unusable, the arrow just goes everywhere on the screen, I can't click and drag. Nothing.

Arik5405
05-16-2011, 07:48 PM
I have installed every driver and flashed both bios and I still can't use the touchpad.
Flashed both bios and vbios. Installed latest drivers: atk, synaptics, ati. Everything.
I use it less that 5 minutes and then it unusable, the arrow just goes everywhere on the screen, I can't click and drag. Nothing.

Did you remove the tape from underneath the touchpad like suggested in previous posts? I did this as fell as a few others and it has fixed the issue. Drives aren't going to do it.

pnikkosis
05-16-2011, 11:27 PM

In the middle of may... actually it seems just that

sanzolome
05-18-2011, 12:21 AM
After 4 days, still got no problems.. this is our REAL solution!

squibt
05-18-2011, 01:33 AM
I agree...did mine a week or so ago and no problems...this is the fix and not too hard.

pnikkosis
05-18-2011, 05:58 PM
I just opened and removed the silver stuff; 2 things I wanna ask you guys... I supose that silver stuff is a protection of some sort cause just underneath the touchpad is the hard drive bay. My model came with only one hard drive and it's in that bay... so... could this affect something?
I tried changing the disk to the othar bay... but to my surprise... the metal thingy that holds the disk does not fit in the other bay... and I did not get another of those in case I wanted to add a second drive. So just in case... how do I request or buy that metal... holder disk thing for that specific bay?

Arik5405
05-18-2011, 08:47 PM
I just opened and removed the silver stuff; 2 things I wanna ask you guys... I supose that silver stuff is a protection of some sort cause just underneath the touchpad is the hard drive bay. My model came with only one hard drive and it's in that bay... so... could this affect something?
I tried changing the disk to the othar bay... but to my surprise... the metal thingy that holds the disk does not fit in the other bay... and I did not get another of those in case I wanted to add a second drive. So just in case... how do I request or buy that metal... holder disk thing for that specific bay?

The hard drive caddy should fit in either slot. You should just have to adjust the screws on the caddy. Mine has holes for "left" or "right" side. Take another look at it and see if it doesn't have the holes to allow you to install it in either drive bay.

sanzolome
05-19-2011, 02:31 PM
Hey i installed the v15.2.11.1 synaptics driver for multitouch, but i have problems with the scroll with two fingers, sometimes it recognize my fingers and sometimes don't.

Do you know a better driver or could you post yor user configuration?

Thanks guys

BTW after almost a week got zero problems with my "new" touchpad. only this one i'm aslking you about, but i think is a driver problem

Chastity@ASUS
05-19-2011, 03:19 PM
I posted 15.2.16.1 up on my Reference page

sanzolome
05-19-2011, 06:03 PM
Thanks chasity, but when i install it, it keeps poping me out messages, is there any solution?

sanzolome
05-19-2011, 06:06 PM
sorry i have just noticed theres a fix.. thanks i will give it a try

FlyingFalcon
05-20-2011, 07:25 PM
Hello fellows,

I experienced missing keystrokes in my G53JW-A1 too. Any fix available for it? I haven't used my laptop much yet so I'm not sure whether the trackpad problem is present on it as well. I hope not but I'll update it tomorrow. The missing keystroke is driving me crazy. In the beginning, i thought it was cuz I'm typing on a new keyboard which made me miss quite a lot of alphabets but later realised that that wasn't the problem. I don't use an external mouse so I'm dependant on the touchpad. Please do let me know of any fixes available. Please.

Regards,
Vipin

Chastity@ASUS
05-20-2011, 10:32 PM
Update to latest BIOS + ATK Package 1.0.0008

FlyingFalcon
05-21-2011, 03:14 AM
Is it the same as the one for G73? Or is it a different one?

sanzolome
05-24-2011, 05:21 AM
hey guys.. I'm having startup problems, it takes like 5 minutes to completely run windows.. I think it may be caused by tuneup utilities but i'm not sure.. do i have to reinstall windows or is there another solution.

Thanks

sanzolome
05-25-2011, 06:54 AM
Update to latest BIOS + ATK Package 1.0.0008

hey chastity! The download link for the SP1 x64 in your driver and utilities forum is broken.. what are the best steps to install windows and drivers? thanks