PDA

View Full Version : Considering the G701VI But Can't Decide Against A Sager

Almost Tactful
10-25-2016, 05:27 PM
Hey everyone, so like many (I think) I'm stuck. I really like the new 701VI laptop that is coming out, specifically with the 6820HK CPU. But, I'm torn with the price. For the same, if not a little less money I can get the Sager with a desktop 6700K, a 1080, and a 120hz 3K display. So, I'm wondering how you guys feel about the comparison of the two? I've had ASUS machines for years (G73, G55, G751, GL552, and GL752) but this time around, the price point just isn't there with the ASUS. I love the design and the look of the ASUS over the Sager by a MILE but the hardware and the price, the Sager wins.

Dreamonic
10-25-2016, 09:57 PM
I completely understand this kind of purchase. I had the same thoughts in fact.

I was on the fence about the NP9873 (1080) and the G701VI. The major difference between the models isn't just the price and specs, it's the fact that the CPU and GPU isn't of BGA with the SAGER. The problem I have with BGA is that if you get a 'golden' CPU or GPU (or both), in the event the MB needs to be replaced, you lose it all, hoping the next MB gives you better binned CPU and GPU, but it doesn't always work out like that. On that note, it's also very expensive to replace the MB in comparison as well as the ability to upgrade later on down the road or even play the bin lottery should you have received a horrible one from the start. I mean, if those things matter to you, SAGER is the one you want to go with here if we stay on topic.

Now that's out of the way, one might ask, who wouldn't choose SAGER over ASUS in that regard? People who are loyal to their brands. This is even regarded as 'stupidity' because of what great potential something is to be, is often never the choice made in the end because it's of the unknown. It's also not just performance people are after, which is strange when you think about it considering if the gaming notebook you'll be buying is a one-time purchase, being that you upgrade it within a year or two and the CPU and GPU cannot be upgraded anyway, you really aren't missing out on much; Enthusiasts will however.

In the end of figuring out what I wanted, I decided to go with ASUS still. I already own so many other ASUS products. I've always used them. it's just what I prefer using. I enjoy doing the disassembly. I was waiting for the G701VI to be released for a while now, but decided to just go with the G752VS-XB78K and a PG348Q instead. Just like anything purchased, whether it's for brand, aesthetics, material quality, performance, color, bang-for-buck, etc, it's all subject to opinion and so forth. Almost everyone has a reason as to why they justify spending what they did on something (it could even be because of a sale), after all, it's their money, their purchase... they'll be the ones using it! Nothing else matters afterwards.

I do agree with you that the price points are not in ASUS favor right now. You are paying more for less in terms of performance in comparison to other brands out there. Absolutely the case right now.

EDIT: As I've already disassembled my G752VS multiple times now for programming and repaste purposes. It does run warm still (70-80C) at moderate OC levels, but nothing like factory out-of-box temps did. So there will be some hoops to jump to get things where you want them. The reason I'm mentioning this is if mine is doing this with a bulkier chassis and the G701VI chassis is supposedly slimmer than mine, yet similar in design, that spells further disaster for thermal control TBBH. Just yet another reason to go SAGER...

miguel pereira
10-25-2016, 10:23 PM
Well, in my case my wife chose for me. :p

The clevos/sager are LOUD. They make great machines, but their choice with low quality 5v fans is not a good one. The 12v fans from delta asus uses are just top notch, and so much quiter at the same rpms. (There are some who change clevo fans for asus fans actually)

Before my g752vs i had a clevo with similar config i had to return because of the jet-like noise profile.

That said, if you dont mind the noise and have a little more work with drivers and configs, clevos are great machines. In the end the performance difference wont be more then 5-10%, so just think about the other stuff like screen, keyboard, sound... etc.

Buggsy
10-26-2016, 01:41 PM
I was on the fence too. Ultimately, what made my mind up was a few key things:
1) Sager (and ExoticPC) was always back-ordered. The 6820HK just keep getting pushed out 2 more weeks, 2 more weeks, 2 more weeks... After waiting for a while for the 6820HK, the only other CPU option 6700HQ went on back order as well. After waiting for 4 weeks just to even be able to order it, I gave up.
2) I read a lot of good and bad reviews of the company. Some people loved it, but unfortunately almost all the bad reviews were the same. Terrible support, terrible turn around time on repairs, multiple trips to get something fixed, and orders delayed in being built/shipped by several weeks. I opted for a more well known company like Asus. I would be neglectful if I didn't add that I haven't had a great experience with Asus support either.
3) Build and engineering quality. Most of the Clevos were either using one or two small heatsinks. The only way one could handle the heat was with a really powerful (i.e. loud) fan, or two slightly less loud fans. With my Asus, I can play a AAA title on ultra and my wife can peacefully read a book next to me. It's pretty quiet really. Though with a GTX 1080, you'll make more heat than me. On that note, the fans/heat vent directly out the back. Some of the Sagers vented out the side which will also affect the perceived volume.
4) Finally of minor concern was the USB ports. I routinely use all 4 of the standard ports. Some of the Sagers only had 3 ports, and maybe a Type-C port. Either I was going to need a hub, or and adapter to use the type-c port. I didn't really want to do either.

Almost Tactful
10-26-2016, 10:33 PM
Thanks everyone for their thoughts on this. I guess the biggest question that none of us know yet....when will the 701VI be available?

Almost Tactful
11-16-2016, 12:33 AM
Thanks everyone for their thoughts on this. I guess the biggest question that none of us know yet....when will the 701VI be available?

So I went with ASUS...kind of :)

CPU - Intel 6700K @ 4.4gHz
RAM - 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2666 @ 3200 mHz
GPU - ASUS STRIX - GTX 1080 @ 2015/12000
MOB - Asus Maximus VIII Gene
SSD - Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB - Getting 2500 MB/s Read
HDD - WD Blue 1TB
PSU - eVGA SuperNOVA 850W
CLR - Corsair H100i v2 w/2 Corsair SP120's in Pull
CSE - Corsair Air 240 Black
FAN - 3 X Corsair AF120 / 2 X Noctura 80mm
LED- 2 X 16" RGB LED Strips
SLV - Red and Black Sleeving
KEY - Razer Chroma Blackwidow Tournament Stealth
MSE - Logitech G602

Didn't want to walk away from ASUS (love this brand) but also couldn't deal with dropping 3-4 grand for something that (IMHO) isn't worth it. I spent about $1800 and I've got a lot more performance.

Buggsy
11-16-2016, 02:32 PM
Nice! You can always get better value out of a desktop. Although, it looks like you also saved some money by skipping the monitor. Only thing I'd add, with that good of a GPU take the money saved on a laptop and get a good 24" 4K monitor.