PDA

View Full Version : g71gx(bestbuy)

NightShade
12-08-2010, 03:22 AM
noticing the fan always blowing at full speed so digging deeper i find that the temps arent what i expected. with the laptop at idle the gfx card is 70-74c. playing something light such as starcraft or even cards it gets up to about 82c. after some research it seems that most people with this model are experiencing the same thing. is there any fix or reason for the dangerously high temps. nvidia says its tolerable but will burn up the card faster than it would if it was in a more reasonable temp

V2-V3
12-09-2010, 04:09 AM
The temperatures are within specification. If you would like to lower the temperature there are some things you can do.
1. Update your Motherboard BIOS
2. Update your GPU VBIOS
3. Update your Video Drivers to the latest release
4. Use canned air to blow the dust out of your GPU and CPU cooling assembly

Brian@ASUS
12-27-2010, 10:10 PM
nightshade, g71 was known to have shipped with a bad bios and the latest bios fixes this issue. the bestbuy squad would do it for a small fee, but you can easily do it yourself. just go to the support site and download the latest bios related to your model. and update to the latest nvidia drivers from their website.

Wiggle Puppy
12-29-2010, 02:32 AM
I purchased my G71GX from Best Buy and it's been working very well up until recently. I have updated the BIOS, kept all the drivers up to date, always kept the software up to date, and lately I have been experiencing some lag while gaming. I've ruled-out the internet connection and bandwidth, as I've experienced this symptom at different locations (I travel a LOT), and I've been experiencing this issue while not being connected to the internet.

I currently work offshore, if that helps... or not.

All I want to do is keep myself entertained while off duty, and it's starting to get on my nerves because the FPS gets so low that I darn near get seizures. Well, maybe seizures could be entertaining, but I never found them to be so. LOL.

Should I take my laptop to Best Buy and see if there is an issue? It's still under warranty, IIRC.

Brian@ASUS
12-29-2010, 05:30 PM
wiggle, so you have the latest bios correct? have you tried cleaning out your fans and heatsinks? could be clogged getting hot etc... do you use the latest drivers from nvidia for your graphics? and maybe its time for a reformat if you havent done so since you got your notebook...

Paulus
02-25-2011, 09:34 PM
hi everyone. i hope some one will help me sort my g71rx problem. well, from 3 min to 15 min max in to the game screen blacks out and game freezes (stops responding). also get message that nvidia driver stopped working and now recovered. Any ideas why? flashed bios to latest, also updated nvidia driver. Ran furmark - temperatures goes up to 102 c degrees.