PDA

View Full Version : G73JH now only has max res of 1600x900 not 1920x1080

Merc
01-02-2012, 03:32 PM
Long story short, bought the laptop took it to Iraq. Loved it but while there I had vid driver issues after getting a stable drive set to work I was only seeing a max rez of 1600X900 but at least it was stable. So I left it till I got home. Well now I'm back and just updated to newest Catalyst Control center and drivers and still have the same issue.

How do I get the better rez of 1920x1080 back. The display in hardware profile shows as generic now but I can not locate any drivers just for the LCD. Any Ideas?

Thanks
Scott

dstrakele
01-02-2012, 10:13 PM
Hi Scott, Glad to hear you're outta there...

Go to Device Manager > Monitors > Right-click Generic Monitors > Go to Details tab > From the Property pull down menu, select Hardware IDs. There should be a 3 lettered code followed by a few numbers. That's the model of your screen and from that we can determine the native resolution. Some of the G73JH models come with an HD+ screen of 1600x900 native resolution (see http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/485729-asus-g73jh-screen-confused-about-resolution.html).

Many of the LCD displays on laptops do not have a manufacturer-supplied driver and use the generic Windows 7 driver. Once we know who made your display, we can search for such a driver.

Also, go into "Control Panel - Screen Resolution" and click on "Advanced settings". Click on the "List All Modes" button in the lower left of the resulting dialog to display all supported resolutions and color levels. If you see "1920x1080 True Color (32-bit)", select it.

Merc
01-02-2012, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the reply and the link, It would seem that I have 139E screen and if the forums are correct it is only 1600x900 but I could have sworn that before the driver issues I had st the screen and games to 1920x1080. Oh well. Hate to upgrade the screen when I can't change the vid card out. Its a good card but starting to show it's age with the newer games.

perithimus
01-03-2012, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the reply and the link, It would seem that I have 139E screen and if the forums are correct it is only 1600x900 but I could have sworn that before the driver issues I had st the screen and games to 1920x1080. Oh well. Hate to upgrade the screen when I can't change the vid card out. Its a good card but starting to show it's age with the newer games.

What games are you having trouble running. I still can run all my games on high. I have the G73JH with the HD5870.