PDA

View Full Version : G73JW not powering on (ocationally)

jimbobt
01-02-2012, 05:42 PM
Hi guys i had setup a RMA for a G73JW which was ocationally not powering on and more often going to sleep in windows 7 and not wakeing.

I re-installed windows 7 with a manual install (not recovery) and i thought the problem went away so i cancelled the RMA however unfortunately the problem has returned, i then did a recovery install of windows7 and now the problem has came back.

Im about 12 months into the warranty and the machine was working great until November the usual unplug the battery and hold down the power switch seemed to make the machine boot but a few days later i would experience the same issue where the machine would not get to asus splash screen the keyboard would illuminate the fans would go to full speed but the laptop would not pass the POST test or boot to windows (screen just stayed black with fans whirring) i am assuming its hardware or something because i have re-installed windows a few times and the problem is always there.

The BIOS is on the latest version anyone any ideas before i submit another RMA.

regards

BrodyBoy
01-02-2012, 07:32 PM
So, when it does this, you never see anything at all on the screen...you just hear the noise of the fans? What about the hard drive and/or the indicator lights...is there any sign that the hard drive is working?

But it always starts up normally after a hard-restart?

jimbobt
01-02-2012, 09:17 PM
So, when it does this, you never see anything at all on the screen...you just hear the noise of the fans? What about the hard drive and/or the indicator lights...is there any sign that the hard drive is working?

But it always starts up normally after a hard-restart?

Correct asus logo does not splash on screen and windows never loads. i dont know if the power switch is on its way out but its becoming a right pain the laptop went into sleep mode/hibernate earlier and it would not wake up from sleep this is when the problem then arises with it not booting into windows. somestimes after i take the battery out and press the power button for a minute and pop back in teh battery it usually boots fine. anyway this time i pressed the rog expecting express gate to load and guess what it resumed from my win7 hibernation earlier. This is very frustrating considering the laptop cost me 1800 and is not even a year old yet!!!! Really strange as it has been a workhorse of a machine since replacing my old xps laptop. The only thing i have ever noticed after it booting up from a hard reset is the time was out of sync, not the date only the time. Anyway not got a clue where to start and will phone in a RMA once i return to work.