PDA

View Full Version : Odd G46VW Keyboard Backlight issue. [solved]

BritGuy
11-15-2016, 04:58 AM
Hi all. I posted about an issue with a G46VW a while back but i now have another odd issue.

2 G46VWs

Both work great. Except on one of them the keyboard backlight does not work.

I tested the keyboard (along with its cables and small boards) on laptop#1 that the backlight works on.....Backlight works on that laptop.

SO! Both keyboards backlights work. NEITHER of them work on the Laptop#2 though.

On Laptop#2 the keyboards dont even flicker on startup. I even tried moving the SDD from laptop#1 to laptop#2 (all bios settings are identical) but that didnt work either.

Anyone got any ideas? Could it be the motherboard in laptop#2?

I did notice something about the BIOS on the 2 laptops. Even though they are both G46VWs and both have v210 they are slightly different.

Laptop#1(Backlight works)
Version 210
GOP Version 3.0.1023
EC Version 204E120001

Laptop#2(Backlight doesnt work)
Version 210
VBIOS Version 2137.I14G460.001
EC Version 204E120001

Why does one show GOP version and the other show VBIOS version?

Thanks

BritGuy
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asus ROG G46VW:
CPU: i7 3630QM
GFX: Geforce GTX660M with 2GB ram
RAM: 2x8Gb 2133MHz Muskin
Storage: Corsair Force GT 256GB SSD

BritGuy
11-15-2016, 08:08 AM
OK. After searching and trying for over a couple of months to fix this i posted this and then found a file called "Fixmykb.rar".

I was never able to find a download option that was still available. But today......SUCCESS! I found the file and made a bootable USB drive. Added the files to the drive and ran them.

SUCCESS! Working Backlight on my G46VW!

If anyone has the issue where the backlight doesnt work on their G46VW (No flickering kb on boot) then this may fix the issue.

I did NOT create the file so you use at your own risk. :)

Send a PM if you want the file :)

kjones256
02-15-2017, 05:06 AM
What about if the keyboard does flicker during startup but then goes dark. Fn + F4 does nothing and neither does any other key combination (Alt + F4, CTRL + F4). I am running Windows 10 and if I recall it was not a fresh install but rather an upgrade over 8.1. Thanks in advance.

cl-Albert
02-15-2017, 08:51 PM
Welcome to the forums!

If the keyboard backlight does flicker on startup (newer models don't do this anymore), it's a good sign for the hardware and bios, so you probaly just have some kind of Windows software issue.

You can find more details searching the forums, but the first thing to check is your ASUS ATK or ATKACPI driver under programs and features and to update it which hopefully can solve the issue, otherwise, you may want to ask for more suggestions.

Since the ASUS G46VW download site doesn't include any Win10 drivers, you may want to check a different ASUS notebook model that has Windows 10 drivers and use the ATK driver posted there although officially it's not been approved for your notebook model, so just be aware of this.

Hope this helps!

BritGuy
03-29-2017, 06:00 PM
Make sure that the ATKACPI is installed along with the Keyboard Filter driver.

If that doesnt work (didnt on mine originally) then try the fixmykb.bat file that i used.
Create a DOS bootable USB and run file from there.

FixmyKB Link

(http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=07089441094464360328)