PDA

View Full Version : A blast from the past... reborn? G50Vt

notebooknewb
11-15-2016, 03:23 PM
I have a G50Vt (best buy) that has/had a Core 2 duo P7430 Running @ 2.13 Ghz. Not that long ago I swapped out the memory to 4GB and to lower the CAS latency from 6 to 5. All went well.

Then being someone who has tinkers with desktop models I went the crazy route and looked for a better processor. Knowing my power supply is essentially fixed and that the chipset and CPU socket would limit my options, I narrowed down the list to about 4 processors. Then I saw a P9700 (2.8Ghz) processor come up at an excellent price. While not at the top of my list, it looked like it would work.

Well it does... sort of. The new processor showed me the danger of something that I had been ignoring, which was that Vista has been trying unsuccessfully to update since July. I didn't notice with the old processor, but with the new, I saw that Core#1 was constantly above 90% utilization and that the freq. was not dropping (svchost had a memory leak). Luckily the temp was not going over 75C. I appear to have fixed that issue. Now to the bigger issue: the CPU is still chugging along at full speed though utilization is now below 10% and the FSB is not dropping down like it did with the old processor.

Are my drivers messed up? Is this just a consequence of using a different processor that may not be fully compatible with the board? Do I need to flash the BIOS (which by the way I have almost no options to do any tweaking, unless I am missing something)?

This partly for me and mainly for my son, who has a few educational games and wants to play War Thunder, World of Warships, and WoW with me.

Buggsy
11-15-2016, 04:01 PM
When you swapped the RAM, did you by any chance set the RAM timing manually in the BIOS? That could have set the FSB speed to be fixed.

Otherwise, check your power plan in Windows. If it's set to high power, I don't think the FSB will change. Set it to low power and reboot just to see if it affects anything. You can set it back to balanced afterwards.

notebooknewb
11-15-2016, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the quick reply buggsy.

I cannot set any timings in the bios, so I don't think that was it.

I'll try the different power plans when I get home. I think it is currently set to the Powergear maximum performance, so that may be it.

notebooknewb
11-16-2016, 01:39 PM
That was it!

I am a putz. The power plan was set to max performance and the processor state min and max were set to 100%. When I went to battery saver and the max percentage was 60%, the FSB dropped down immediately.

I uninstalled all the ATK programs and then reinstalled them and direct console is working again. I ran prime 95 overnight while in turbo mode and my highest temp was 85C near the fan; the CPU temps only got up to 79C.

My only issue now is that I did NOT fix the memory leak and I cannot get windows update to run.

Thanks for the help on my previous issue.... and does anyone have suggestions on the svchost memory leak issue? I know it is BITS and windows update that are causing it to run 1 core at 90-100% and the process ends up eating nearly 1/2 of my memory if left unchecked. I know how to disable them, but that is just kicking the can down the road. I hate the thought of a HD wipe and OS reinstall, but if that is my only option, I guess it is my only option.

Buggsy
11-16-2016, 02:19 PM
Glad that was your problem. You don't need to stay in battery saver, that was just a suggestion to make an instant change in the FSB. You should probably go back to balanced or high power. I don't really use my battery for more than 30 minutes so I sit at high power.

As for the OS issues... if it were me I'd just wipe the OS and start over. I'm a big fan of that, and Vista is so finicky that you might end up saving time to just wipe it. I also have to add that if it were me, I'd buy a license for Windows 7 or 10 and ditch Vista. I hate it that much. I know that you can get licenses in a sub Reddit for like $30. I haven't had to buy one yet, but they do seem to be legitimate.

notebooknewb
11-18-2016, 03:39 PM
Thanks again Buggsy.

I was wanting to move this thing over to win7 anyway... just not wanting to be forced to do it. I'll look around and see what I can find.