PDA

View Full Version : G74S Atheros Wifi card problem

mack0rz
01-02-2012, 10:36 PM
Hey everyone,

I recently purchased a g74s with the Atheros AR9002WB-1NG wifi card.

My connection speed is great with it, I am not experiencing any lag but it is constantly dropping it's connection. I read the topic on these forums about fixing lag by making sure you install the most updated driver. I did follow those instructions and currently have Driver 9.2.1.470.

Roughly ever 2-5 minutes my connection will just completely drop, and then reconnect again.

Any suggestions I could try to fix this? Anyone else having this problem? My Internet Provider has a two in one modem/router and I have had no problems with the many other wireless devices I own.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Mack

dstrakele
01-02-2012, 10:53 PM
Check that BOTH "Security Type" and "Encryption Type" in the "Security" tab of the Wireless Network Properties of your Connection exactly matches what you've configured on your router. Disconnections every few minutes can be your router's attempt to maintain security on your wireless network.

Since you have other working wireless devices, just match their configuration with respect to Security and Encryption Types (unless they operate on the 5.0 GHz band).

You may also check signal strength of your connection. I have seen cases where the antennas of the wireless card were shipped disconnected.

Be aware of possible interference from other 2.4 GHz devices (try changing channels if you suspect this is the case).

Like you, I am currently running the Atheros AR9002WB-1NG wifi card with version 9.2.1.470 driver and have no issues. I use WPA2-Personal Security with AES Encryption.

mack0rz
01-02-2012, 11:38 PM
Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately I am set to WPA2-Personal and AES on my router settings and on my laptop.

I do have very strong singnal strength as well while it's connected.

Thanks again,
Mack

dstrakele
01-03-2012, 12:06 AM
It may be worthwhile to check:

1) Your router's system log
2) Windows System and Application Event Logs for ANY Errors or Warnings

I'd also be calling your internet provider tech support for recommendations. One of the first will be "Have you restarted your modem/router?" Make sure you've already done that to save time.

It may also be worthwhile to download and run DPC Latency Checker from the link in the OP of the "Drivers, Apps, and How-to's" thread. There may be other drivers on your system contributing to latency.

mack0rz
01-03-2012, 12:22 AM
Yeah I did call my ISP and all they could think of was to try different security settings, switching between WPA and WPA2 as well as trying WEP. Nothing worked.

I'll try the DPC Latency Checker

Thanks

dstrakele
01-03-2012, 12:32 AM
If you can't find anything in either the router or Windows Event Logs (I'd think this would be unlikely) try taking your notebook to a friend's house and connecting to their wireless network. If this also fails in the same manner, I'd contact the retailer and see if you can exchange your laptop for a new unit.

A couple more questions:

1) What Antivirus, AntiMalware, and Firewall software have you installed to your G74SX?
2) Does your router have the latest firmware installed?

BrodyBoy
01-03-2012, 12:37 AM
As Drew suggested earlier, this sounds like something your router might be doing. Log onto it and check the logs....look for unusual, repetitive activity at the G74's MAC address. It may give you some insight into why it's de-authorizing that client.

Tranced
01-05-2012, 05:12 AM
Okay, Im so sorry guys. New to ROG forums.
Actually just recently received my new 74sx-A1!
So i was trying to install the newest driver for the Atheros AR900WB-1NG since 've been spiking very badly.

Currently running Version: 9.0.0.222

So I went here: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s

however, i feel very dumb as im not driver updating savy :(

Once I dl the driver, then what? Where do I save it/put the file?
Can you kinda step by step it for me? NOrmally my bro (who is great at comps) is able to help me, but hes unavailable.

BrodyBoy
01-05-2012, 07:23 AM
Once I dl the driver, then what? Where do I save it/put the file?
Can you kinda step by step it for me? NOrmally my bro (who is great at comps) is able to help me, but hes unavailable.
Don't feel dumb....we all had to do this for the first time. :) The first step (after downloading the new driver, as you're about to temporarily lose your internet connection) is to uninstall the old driver:

START -> Control Panel -> Programs: Uninstall a Program
Find the current Atheros driver in the program list (it's listed as Atheros or Azurewave)
Select it, and click "Uninstall" at the top of the program table
Let the computer uninstall the driver, and reboot

It doesn't matter where you put the downloaded driver, but the "Downloads" folder is usually the default location. You'll need to unzip the file to a new folder, and then install the driver, as follows:

Navigate to where you saved the new driver download.
Right-click on the file, and select "Extract all" from the pop-up menu. This creates a new folder with the same name (presumably "WLAN_Atheros_Win7_64_Z921470")
Double-click on that new folder to open it.
Double-click on the "Setup" application in the list of files.
Let the installer run, accepting all defaults, and reboot when it's done.

After the reboot, you'll need to re-enter your network key and any custom settings you were using.