PDA

View Full Version : G74SX Black Screen after start up

TheMrReed
01-02-2012, 10:37 PM
Hello, I just recently bought the G74SX from Best Buy, and everything was working great for the first few days I had it, until
today. I was browsing the internet, then closed the laptop, then later on I opened it up again, plugged my mouse into it, then things got hairy. It froze up or something which caused me to shut it down by holding the power button. So I turned it back on logged in to Windows 7 and I noticed the welcome screen was taking longer than normal. When that finally went away, I was greeted with a black screen and my mouse pointer. My webroot security pop up is the only thing that pops up on the screen at the lower right hand side. I cannot do ctrl alt del either. When I do that, some time passes and I get an error that says 'Failure to Display Security and Shutdown Options" or something like that. After I close that message out, my mouse cursor disappears. The only thing I can do is boot into safe mode, which to me seems to be a good sign at least. Hopefully somebody out there can help me. I haven't had a Windows machine in quite some time so I'm a bit lost as to what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Zekoviz
01-02-2012, 10:43 PM
Ok... i think it is in bios options... go to bios and distable the USB... when you turn on laptop press F10. and anventure begin in BIOS ;)

TheMrReed
01-02-2012, 10:57 PM
ok so I disabled the USB in BIOS. What does F10 do?

Zekoviz
01-02-2012, 11:13 PM
ok so I disabled the USB in BIOS. What does F10 do?
nothing :D so.. how runs? now?

TheMrReed
01-02-2012, 11:14 PM
It's the same...

Zekoviz
01-02-2012, 11:19 PM
It's the same... i havent ideas... so :D Someone smarter help you.

dstrakele
01-02-2012, 11:53 PM
What is the exact text of the Webroot Security popup on boot? Does it indicate a virus or malware on your system?

If you have a Windows System Restore point that is earlier than when you encountered this problem, try booting into Safe Mode and restoring your system back to that time to see if it resolves the issue. Then be wary of what Windows Update and you install to your G74SX.

I could be mistaken about the Best Buy systems, but my G74SX-A1 comes with a trial of Trend Micro Antivirus installed. If this is also installed and running on your system, there may be a conflict between it and your Webroot Security software. I recommend booting into Safe Mode and UNinstalling either Webroot programs or Trend Micro to see if it changes your boot behavior. I would choose to uninstall the Webroot software since I have used Trend Micro without issue in the past.

It could also be possible that the Webroot software is conflicting with some other driver on your system, perhaps one installed by Windows Update.

Personally, I recommend uninstalling both and going with Microsoft Security Essentials and MalwareBytes Antimalware. I've never had an issue with these products. Microsoft Security Essentials is free and very light on using resources. Since it is developed by Microsoft, there is much less of a chance it will conflict with anything installed by Windows Update.

BrodyBoy
01-03-2012, 12:30 AM
If you have a Windows System Restore point that is earlier than when you encountered this problem, try booting into Safe Mode and restoring your system back to that time to see if it resolves the issue.
Personally, I recommend uninstalling both and going with Microsoft Security Essentials and MalwareBytes Antimalware.

Excellent advice, IMO! Get the system back to a previously working state, and then get rid of the offending software. I haven't used the MalwareBytes software, but I agree about MSE....it's a very lightweight, compatible program and it's reviewed right up there with the big dogs. (I'm using it on a test platform right now, and I'm really impressed with it.....I may well switch to it for everyday use.)

TheMrReed
01-03-2012, 05:30 AM
Thanks for the feedback! Well, uninstalling webroot worked! Don't know how or why but it did. Booted up into safe mode, and then deleted it, then booted into normal mode and voila! Thanks again for the suggestions you guys.

dstrakele
01-03-2012, 05:53 AM
Glad to hear your startup issue is resolved. Webroot's kernel mode driver was most likely conflicting with some other driver on the system at startup, causing the black screen lockup issue you encountered. We don't know who the other driver is, but it may also have resolved the issue if it was removed instead of Webroot. However, it could be a new driver that is part of the core Windows OS or some security change that is not accounted for in the Webroot driver (perhaps delivered by Windows Update). In that case you wouldn't want to uinstall it.

Whatever the case, now that the conflict is removed, you can get on with your life.