PDA

View Full Version : G752vs "inaccessible_boot_device" after second M.2 SSD installed

chicodon1444
11-21-2016, 04:16 PM
Cloned a new larger M.2 SSD and it works great. I want to use the old SSD as a Photoshop scratch disc but when I put it in the open second M.2 slot I get a BSOD. The error is INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get the old ssd formatted? I can't find an enclosure for this type of ssd. I already tried ESC ESC ESC to get to the boot menu. I chose the new drive and it still gave me the same BSOD.

Any help would be appreciated.

PS: I have asked a similar question before and no one really had a way around this. If I can't find an answer I guess I'll just get another SSD and store the old one as someone suggested.

Thanks

cl-Albert
11-21-2016, 07:48 PM
I may have the wrong idea here, so let us know if anything doesn't sound right, but I'm assuming your 'old SSD' still works and has the original operating system on it and you're just trying to figure out how to format and erase it?

One way is to remove your cloned larger M.2 SSD to avoid erasing it accidentally and download the Win10 ISO to a bootable USB drive to use it to erase your 'old M.2 SSD'?
If I remember correctly, the Win10 ISO should allow you to delete your hard drive partitions although we may want to check this.

Another idea may be to find a USB to M.2 SSD convertor and attach it as an external drive to format inside of Windows, but I'm not sure if there will be any problems to do this inside of Windows.

Edit: Forgot you can also run diskpart in Windows as Clintlgm mentioned in your other thread: 752VS OC Edition SSD Advice for installing second M.2 SSD (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?88935-752VS-OC-Edition-SSD-Advice-for-installing-second-M-2-SSD)

Anyway, feel free to discuss and ask for more ideas.

chicodon1444
12-20-2016, 07:51 PM
After playing with the Windows repair, I finally screwed something up to the point I had to send the laptop in for repair. It wouldn't recognize any M.2 hard drive. Anyway, ASUS Repair did a great job and said that a track on the hard drive failed. They replaced it free of charge. The moral of the story is to not mess with anything. :-)