PDA

View Full Version : G74sx Vs Final Fantasy 14 = disappointed / Can't overclock i7-2670

holyknight
01-03-2012, 10:23 AM
HI,

I've just received my new G74SX-91171V - 3D to play with Final fantasy 14 and I must face the reality, i'm disappointed ...

What I've done :
1) Overclock my 560m : core : 910 Mhz/ mem freq : 1640 Mhz= stable (improvment : 4 - 5 fps) without overheating it too much (thanks to the good fan system).
2) install and run game booster 3 (1 fps ...)
3) Start throttlestop : gain nothing ...

What make me sick :
1) Impossible to overclok this damn Sandy bridge i7-2670 CPU !
2) Can't find advanced setting /hidden menu in this poor bios v202 (I won't update in v203 ;)
3) I don't find PLL for setfsb ...

Furthermore, in FF14 3D render are good but the cursor does not support the depth and trees blinking !!! Squaresoft fault ???

To resume : with same game setting my XPS15z (525m and i7-2620) is more powerfull than this one once 3D vision is active ...

Spec in game :
1366*768 in full screen
AA = 2X
Anisotropic = none
general quality of the game 8/10
Oclusion = off
other setting high to average.

XPS15z : 28 - 34 FPS
Asus G74sx : 19- 23 FPS

I'have wasted a lot of time trying tips but nothing works except the GPU overclocking...

Such a waste of time / money ...

380mcn
01-03-2012, 01:49 PM
3D with the nvidia gtx560m? you should have done some research! it's a very good card for the price, but the 3D is doubling the load so if you're getting 20fps that is perfectly normal.

holyknight
01-03-2012, 01:59 PM
I've done some research and it seems (nvidia) that it require only 30% more of the GPU ability hence my overclocking to conter balance this...

It's not the GPU fault here, FF14 was extremly bad optiumized and won't use all core of the CPU so I'm trying to overclock it but I didn't know the limitation of sandy bridge ...

dstrakele
01-03-2012, 03:07 PM
As I understand it (could be wrong), you cannot 'overclock' the Sandy Bridge processors. However, you can eliminate CPU throttling by using ThrottleStop or editing the BIOS (if you dare). There are good threads on both methods.

holyknight
01-03-2012, 03:35 PM
Thx for the answer but I've already read / done that without any resultats ....

AM I DOOMED ? :D

dstrakele
01-03-2012, 04:00 PM
Some have reported bump ups in FPS from turning off Vertical Sync and Antialiasing. Plus there is always hope that NVIDIA may come out with a new driver to increase performance without having to limit game settings. But it still could be possible you are doomed... ;>{)>

holyknight
01-03-2012, 04:10 PM
Vsync is off, AA 2X should'nt be a problem ... I'm so disappointed ...

dstrakele
01-03-2012, 04:48 PM
Have you tried posting in any of the Final Fantasy XIV forums? They may be able to offer additional information.

holyknight
01-03-2012, 05:02 PM
yes I've posted on the official forum...
I've 24/48H to decide either I take it back to the store or I'll find a solution.

fostert
01-04-2012, 03:27 AM
As I understand it (could be wrong), you cannot 'overclock' the Sandy Bridge processors. However, you can eliminate CPU throttling by using ThrottleStop or editing the BIOS (if you dare). There are good threads on both methods.
You can overclock the xtreme edition SB mobiles (with the XM suffix) as their multipliers are unlocked, but you cannot overclock the QM series CPUs as they are locked. You could get an XM processor for your G74 (e.g. the 2920XM is good I hear) and drop it in, it would certainly work (same sockets) and give you a boost in stock speeds. But don't go buying one for the G74 just to overclock it; the G74's BIOS is so useless that you wouldn't be able to change the multiplier or the voltage, or the RAM multiplier, or...anything. Editing the BIOS is tickling the dragon's tail: one bad move and you're burned with a bricked notebook.

Notebooks just aren't made for serious OCing anyways...

holyknight
01-04-2012, 08:38 AM
Disable AA in 3D greatly increase FPS now I can play it in 1366*768 without problem.
Overclocking CPU is useless because it only use 2,70Ghz/3,10 Ghz...
So I'll keep it :)
Thx for your comments :)

Medski
06-20-2013, 02:32 PM
I had the same issue with FF14. I was really bummed down. I figured it out though now I have a good 60 fps with almost max'd settings. at 1600x900 (screen max rez for me)

What was wrong: The CPU out of the box can't be overclocked, this is true, but out of the box its also not reaching its full potential. Make sure it is completly un-restricted. Google for ThrottleStop configs / tutorials, download ThrottleStop. The Video card is not your issue here. Disabling AA will not jump you from 30 fps to 60 fps.

FF14 is *very* CPU heavy and passing that 3ghz gap on the CPU is really important.

What you can do for gravy: Get nVidia Explorer, you can use it to overclock the GPU quite easily (there is also a lot of tutorial out there for it) It will let you use post processes and goody lighting features etc without a hit to FPS.

I am running a g74sx as well.

How high does your g74sx score on the Benchmark? At 1600x900 borderless windowed, MAX setting, then adjusted to use low res models for shadows, and using LOD for far away objects I am scoring 4k.

Before I put ThrottleStop, I was scoring in the lower 2k-2.5k