PDA

View Full Version : G73 JH - A2 GPU (Video Card) Overheating

Tong-Pak-Fu
12-08-2010, 09:12 PM
Well lately I realized my GPU overheats when I play games like League of Legends on max settings.

I know the fan isn't the problem since it revs up as it should for the GPU.

I guess it would be lack of thermal paste or just very dusty?

I am wondering if it will void he warranty if I take the laptop apart myself to clear the dust or apply thermal paste?

If it does will it be ok to bring it to one of the Asus supported repair shops around town?

Thanks

Edit: Well now I updated all my drivers vBios as well but still facing an issue of high temperatures. I run osu and its at 90-95 degrees Celsius range. I don't think that is necessarily right to run this game at such high temps. Also it idles a 82 degrees Celsius...

V2-V3
12-09-2010, 03:38 AM
The Mobility 5870 is a GPU and generats a lot of heat, the temperatures you are seeing are not exceeding the design specifications, although you can update your video drivers
Here is a link to the latest Catalyst 10.11 drivers for your GPU: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonmob_win7-64.aspx

Updating your drivers will help the GPU to better manage temperatures. You should see a drop in temperature.

Tong-Pak-Fu
12-09-2010, 06:43 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I have already updated my vBios and drivers.

Temperature for me hasn't changed it idles at 80+ which doesn't make too much sense to me because it loads up to 100 + which basically is as high as it will go before the card melts. Before any card melting the system will automatically shut down due to overheat as I have experienced quite a few times running LoL on max settings.

I do realize that the environment temperatures does matter but I've tried running LoL at home and at school where its quite cool, the result is gpu overheat crash.

I have had the laptop for about 4-5 months now so I guess there is quite a bit of dust accumulated.

Will opening the laptop to clean out dust count as voiding the warranty? Since changing thermal paste is due to removal of a sticker. If I let a shop governed by Asus would they change the paste without voiding the warranty?

If there is other methods it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Brian@ASUS
12-10-2010, 02:00 AM
it wont void warranty as long as you dont peel off the void warranty sticker thats on the cpu mount screw. you should be able to clean out your g73 no problem.

Tong-Pak-Fu
12-10-2010, 02:02 AM
Oh ok, well taking apart the laptop seems like a really big hassle and risky. What happens if you destroy something in the process of taking it apart to clean o-O?

Also how far do I have to take it apart before i can blow out the dust and such and a tutorial would help.

Thanks.

V2-V3
12-10-2010, 02:36 AM
I have located a G73 Disassembly guide to help you with cleaning
available here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/475907-asus-g73-series-disassembly-guide.html

Tong-Pak-Fu
12-10-2010, 03:03 AM
Ok, so I guess I need to follow the steps up and until where the fan is showing i guess?

V2-V3
12-10-2010, 03:18 AM
Yes sir, only need to tear down to the fans, make sure you dont use very high pressure air you dont want to spin the fans too fast. to be safe you can use a screw driver to stop the fan from spinning.

Chastity@ASUS
12-12-2010, 01:01 AM
And if you are going to rip it open to clean the fans, you may as well repaste your GPU. 80C idle temps are way too high. You'll have to carefully flip the motherboard over, and that will expose the GPU. Unscrew the 4 heatsink mounts and clean both the GPU and heatsink with 90% alcohol. Replace the paste with one of your choice. ( I used IC Diamond 7) I now idle at 45-47, and my gaming temps reach anywhere from 68-77C depending on game.

Tong-Pak-Fu
12-16-2010, 05:31 PM
Ah ok thanks, but how much thermal paste should I apply? (a rough estimate would help)

Also what about re-pasting the CPU?

MarkS
12-16-2010, 05:38 PM
Ah ok thanks, but how much thermal paste should I apply? (a rough estimate would help)

Also what about re-pasting the CPU?

Different pastes have different recommended application methods. Most manufacturers have instructions (and most have videos and/or pictures) online - I recommend following the manufacturers instructions.