PDA

View Full Version : Does the Asus site update "BIOS downloads" ?

msang2323
12-10-2016, 05:14 AM
So according to the Asus site (for my G750JS I have the most recent BIOS update (v208). But its from 2014...

I know Asus isn't the best at keeping the support site up to date, but where can I check to see if there is another more recent update available?
American Megatrends?

Thanks in advance.

Jon G
12-10-2016, 05:59 AM
The BIOS for whatever model notebook you have are listed on the ASUS notebook support site. In general, most manufacturers of notebooks provide driver & BIOS updates
up to the time the last produced same version notebooks sold manufacturer warranty expires and slightly beyond. Given your G750JS MODEL notebook is over 3 years old or so and no longer sold in their new lineup of notebooks, unlike my 2 year old ASUS ROG G751JY which is still listed & sold on ASUS store website but also is a 2 year old model that no longer receives BIOS or driver update support, I doubt ASUS will continue to provide further BIOS & Driver updates. ASUS like all other notebook manufacturers is now only providing updates for the newest model notebooks their selling. Unless you have problems your better off not tinkering w/ third party updates since ASUS only supports whatever updates are listed on your model notebooks support page that includes BIOS & drivers. You do realize that notebook & PC Manufacturers expect owners of these expensive, desktop replacement notebooks to upgrade to a newer version notebook every 3-4 years max, after all that's how they stay in business. These awesome, high end gaming notebooks are expensive as you already know and the price on the highest end models are $3600 & up, too bad we can't upgrade every component in them like Desktop owners can.
Then we could use them for many more years than the 3-4 yrs. while keeping them completely upgraded & updated before their so out dated we're forced to buy another new, expensive gaming notebook, oh well. You're certainly not alone w/ this every gaming notebook owner faces the having to buy a new notebook every 3-4 years. I may start building my own high end gaming Desktop again instead of dropping over $3600 on a new notebook, it'll cost about the same as a higher end notebook but at least all hardware is upgradable unlike on these gaming notebooks.

Clintlgm
12-10-2016, 02:44 PM
Yes you also can look into a Micro ATX mother board and light weight small case and still keep some portability if thats what you want????

Most of us buy Gaming notebooks because we need a portable Package not because notebooks are the greatest thing in Gaming machines. There a compromise between leading edge hardware and portability.

A lot of us don't even game on these. My self I buy Gaming Notebooks because they are powerful I know that at the end of life for them still leaves a good notebook for a ordinary computer user probably still be much more powerful than the current general user laptops etc. My work requires me to be portable, I may go on a ship or boat anywhere in the world and be expected to bring my own Office. I may be there for a few days weeks or months. Then either home or off to the next job. I do some Photoshop, Auto Cad, and video editing. So I do need the power and reliability of Gaming notebooks. Hard Core Gamers will have a desktop to satisfy that need and a gaming notebook for when they can't be on there desktop. up until this notebook I have bought a new one every 3 years, this G75VW is still running great and 4.5 years and work is slow. With new president coming into office I expect the Oil business will boom again and I'll most likely purchase a G752VY DH72 that one seem to be the most reliable of the current available Gaming notebooks.

So yes if you want the most powerful gaming computer of course you should build a desktop, but if you need to take that computer on the road you'll need to compromise for something portable.

Clintlgm
12-10-2016, 02:50 PM
Yes Asus with there Mother Boards and Notebooks keep up with drivers for a few years, BIOS's they only update until all the hardware works correctly after that no BIOS updates are needed. Notebooks will never have a full blown UEFI Graphical Interface with lots of settings, as all those setting can easily Brick Your Notebook. Notebooks are not like desktop where if you smoke a CPU or MB or Chipset you can easily change out parts. Notebooks are pretty much integral and to change the MB means also changing CPU and GPU all because you went just a few milliamps to much on that CPU. So no Asus is not going to allow you the chance to do that

msang2323
12-12-2016, 08:19 AM
Jon G - Thanks for the BIOS info... yes, we are slaves to tech. They know how to play us...

Clintlgm - You hit the nail on the head. Im not a gamer, I wanted it for Photoshop, taking up video editing as a hobby, web surfing and of course the portability....

I've been having so many issues with this laptop. I have a few posts on here about issues with my Nvidia card not being detected at all... and my fan(s) running at 100% with my CPU at <3%.

All this crap started to happen a few weeks ago, after my warranty expired (Oct 2016)...of course.. smh

I even installed a fresh version of Windows 10 got the all drivers correctly installed...
Basically I paid $1500 for a noisy laptop with a non functional Nvidia 870m card.
I should have bought a Chromebook and built a nice desktop.
Ill never buy another ASUS laptop again, or maybe anything ASUS ...

I haven't built a fresh desktop in years (actually 1996).
I'm not worried about installing the OS from scratch and all that; its more so about hardware compatibilities.

Do you guys know of any reputable web sites which detail "building desktops" ?
As far as hardware reviews, compatibility lists, guides, etc.,

I googled a few but wanted to see what you may suggest...

Clintlgm
12-12-2016, 02:54 PM
You might want to check out this sub forum here http://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?134-Hardware-amp-Build-Advice

Rentard
12-13-2016, 08:53 PM
Translation of the below to proper English: buy a HP G3 or other brand workstation. Better build, better support, longer support, longer/better warranty.

The BIOS for whatever model notebook you have are listed on the ASUS notebook support site. In general, most manufacturers of notebooks provide driver & BIOS updates
up to the time the last produced same version notebooks sold manufacturer warranty expires and slightly beyond. Given your G750JS MODEL notebook is over 3 years old or so and no longer sold in their new lineup of notebooks, unlike my 2 year old ASUS ROG G751JY which is still listed & sold on ASUS store website but also is a 2 year old model that no longer receives BIOS or driver update support, I doubt ASUS will continue to provide further BIOS & Driver updates. ASUS like all other notebook manufacturers is now only providing updates for the newest model notebooks their selling. Unless you have problems your better off not tinkering w/ third party updates since ASUS only supports whatever updates are listed on your model notebooks support page that includes BIOS & drivers. You do realize that notebook & PC Manufacturers expect owners of these expensive, desktop replacement notebooks to upgrade to a newer version notebook every 3-4 years max, after all that's how they stay in business. These awesome, high end gaming notebooks are expensive as you already know and the price on the highest end models are $3600 & up, too bad we can't upgrade every component in them like Desktop owners can.
Then we could use them for many more years than the 3-4 yrs. while keeping them completely upgraded & updated before their so out dated we're forced to buy another new, expensive gaming notebook, oh well. You're certainly not alone w/ this every gaming notebook owner faces the having to buy a new notebook every 3-4 years. I may start building my own high end gaming Desktop again instead of dropping over $3600 on a new notebook, it'll cost about the same as a higher end notebook but at least all hardware is upgradable unlike on these gaming notebooks.

Personally I was going to buy a workstation, but when I saw the laptop 1060 was the same as the desktop 1060 I had a brain fart. ASUS isn't getting my money again.

msang2323
01-03-2017, 04:48 AM
Translation of the below to proper English: buy a HP G3 or other brand workstation. Better build, better support, longer support, longer/better warranty.

Personally I was going to buy a workstation, but when I saw the laptop 1060 was the same as the desktop 1060 I had a brain fart. ASUS isn't getting my money again.

Rentard
I agree...
Thanks for the info!