PDA

View Full Version : G752VS stock monitor washed out colors - 6 bpc output color depth only??

hiryu64
12-13-2016, 06:08 PM
Picked up an ASUS G752VS-RB71 over the holiday, and I like it for the most part... except the screen is kind of crap. Blue screens have this weird pixel grid/vertical stripe effect, and the colors in general just look washed out. When I look in the Nvidia control panel, it turns out that the output color depth is set to 6 bpc, and it can't be changed. I didn't even know that 6 bpc was a thing! Generally I see 8 bpc, or rarely higher, but never 6! I upgraded from an old G74SX that I liked a lot, but this is really making me regret my purchase. I don't want to return it, but the washed-out color is pretty awful.

Any other G752VS owners have any insight on this? Is it a driver issue (I'm using the latest Nvidia display driver) or does the screen just not support higher color depths? It looks great when hooked up to an external display (looks stunning on a KS8000 in both RGB@8bpc and YCbCr444), so I'm pretty sure that it's a monitor issue--but stranger things have happened. Is there any specific color calibration I can use to overcome this? FWIW, I performed a clean reinstall before noticing the issue, though the blues looked off from first boot, so I suspect it's been there the entire time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rentard
12-13-2016, 08:18 PM
Picked up an ASUS G752VS-RB71 over the holiday, and I like it for the most part... except the screen is kind of crap. Blue screens have this weird pixel grid/vertical stripe effect, and the colors in general just look washed out. When I look in the Nvidia control panel, it turns out that the output color depth is set to 6 bpc, and it can't be changed. I didn't even know that 6 bpc was a thing! Generally I see 8 bpc, or rarely higher, but never 6! I upgraded from an old G74SX that I liked a lot, but this is really making me regret my purchase. I don't want to return it, but the washed-out color is pretty awful.

Any other G752VS owners have any insight on this? Is it a driver issue (I'm using the latest Nvidia display driver) or does the screen just not support higher color depths? It looks great when hooked up to an external display (looks stunning on a KS8000 in both RGB@8bpc and YCbCr444), so I'm pretty sure that it's a monitor issue--but stranger things have happened. Is there any specific color calibration I can use to overcome this? FWIW, I performed a clean reinstall before noticing the issue, though the blues looked off from first boot, so I suspect it's been there the entire time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

6bpc is a bit misleading - 95%+ of screens on the market are 6 bit and achieve 8 bit through FRC or dithering.
Most true 8 bit monitors I've seen (again expensive) are wide gamut (not a good thing for 99.99% of users do to no universal color management rules) and can do 10bit (through FRC/dithering). Usually marketed at graphics pros.

True 8 and 10 bit screens are expensive. However it is pretty pathetic how many screens can't even produce at least 97% of the srgb gamut.

BogdanCiulei
12-13-2016, 09:42 PM
What make is your display ? Use HWINFO, under the Monitor category you will see the actual display brand.

Also, I know this might be silly, but have you tried using the Asus Eye Care tool ? If you switch to Eye-Care mode, that makes everything have an yellowish tint, easier on the eyes.

Rentard
12-14-2016, 06:58 PM
What make is your display ? Use HWINFO, under the Monitor category you will see the actual display brand.

Also, I know this might be silly, but have you tried using the Asus Eye Care tool ? If you switch to Eye-Care mode, that makes everything have an yellowish tint, easier on the eyes.

Better off using a calibration tool, but it wont fix the issue.

Seems some screens have a firmware bug that requires a workaround to get the proper color display. Think it was related to refresh rate or resolution.

hiryu64
12-14-2016, 08:19 PM
Sorry for the late reply. The monitor is an LG-Philips monitor. Here's the HWiNFO output:

LG Philips [Unknown Model: LGD04E8] ---------------------------------------

[General information]
Monitor Name: LG Philips [Unknown Model: LGD04E8]
Monitor Name (Manuf): LG Display LP173WF4-SPF3
Serial Number: Unknown
Date Of Manufacture: Week: 0, Year: 2015
Monitor Hardware ID: Monitor\LGD04E8
Max. Vertical Size: 21 cm
Max. Horizontal Size: 38 cm
[Advanced parameters]
Input Signal: Digital
Color Bit Depth: 6 Bits per Primary Color
Digital Video Interface Standard Supported: DisplayPort
Display Type: RGB color
Gamma Factor: 2.20
[DPMS Modes]
Standby: Not Supported
Suspend: Not Supported
Active Off: Not Supported
Standard Colour Space: Not Supported
Preferred Timing Mode: Supported
Default GTF Supported: Not Supported
DFP 1.x Compatible: Yes
[Supported Video Modes]
1920 x 1080 382 x 215 mm, Pixel Clock 173.32 MHz
Rentard, if you have more information on what you're explaining, that'd be super swell. I've been messing with calibration software, both built-in and third-party (tried using Calibrize). I realize now that my previous monitors may have been oversaturated, so now I'm sort of obsessively trying to calibrate my displays properly. :p