PDA

View Full Version : G752VS Battery Not Charging Issue at 96% ?

BogdanCiulei
12-13-2016, 09:34 PM
I keep getting on the battery icon in Windows :
"96% available, plugged in , not charging"

Why does the laptop refuse to charge the battery , is this intentional ? And if so, is there any setting to change the behavior ?

TheKnight
12-14-2016, 02:59 PM
The battery stops charging at 92-98% in order to avoid overcharging so it's normal. Just one question to make sure: when the battery stops charging like that do you see the green light turn on instead of the orange one? If the answer is yes, then all's good.

BogdanCiulei
12-14-2016, 09:20 PM
Do you mean on the power adapter ? Yes, its green.
Also, Windows is telling me that I'm plugged in so I know that is working, I'm only worried about the battery

Buggsy
12-14-2016, 10:36 PM
I keep getting on the battery icon in Windows :
"96% available, plugged in , not charging"

Why does the laptop refuse to charge the battery , is this intentional ? And if so, is there any setting to change the behavior ?

You absolutely can change the behavior, but it does exist for a very good reason. To preserve the lifespan of the battery, most all laptops will only charge the battery once it drops to below a certain threshold, and stop above another threshold. I'm trying to be vague because the thresholds are not set in stone, but most major manufactures and MS preset these.

Not charging the batter to 100% will extend it's lifespan.
Not charging the battery every single time you use just 1% of it, will extend it's lifespan.

So for example, I wouldn't expect your laptop to charge the battery up until you've used about 85%, and it might stop at 95% or keep going to 100%.

TheKnight
12-15-2016, 01:31 PM
Do you mean on the power adapter ? Yes, its green.
Also, Windows is telling me that I'm plugged in so I know that is working, I'm only worried about the battery

I wasn't talking about the light on the power adapter but on the computer itself located in front of the touchpad *where other lights such as power, disk usage etc. exist there. Either way, it's normal no need to worry about it.