PDA

View Full Version : As before...opinion needed before purchasing new gaming notebook.

Aldaraad
12-15-2016, 10:20 AM
Hello everyone!

As before (I posted a similar question last winter, and have not bought a new laptop since), I would like to know your opinion on a certain topic which pertains to gaming laptops. The situation in Croatia, as far as the gaming laptop market is concerned, is far from good. The models/makes follow a pattern, and the prices are quite high. Nevertheless, there are a few notable names/laptops worth mentioning, maybe even buying.

I was, at first, very much interested in buying 752VY, but since the new GTX10** came out, considering the "old" 980 is needless. I have read many reviews of the following laptops, but have not seen a comprehensive comparison of some models and their respective configurations. Hence...

Asus G752VS-GC118D, in Croatia: 2,251 euros (Intel Core i7 6700HQ <3,5, nVidia GTX1070 8 GB, 16 GB DDR4, 1TB 5.4, 17,3" FHD WV, 4 yr warranty, 256GB SSD, no OS

Acer Acer Predator G9-793-75L3, in Croatia: 2,235 euros (Intel Core i7 6700HQ <3,5. nVidia GTX1070 8 GB. 16 GB DDR4, 1 TB HDD, 17,3" FHD IPS, 2 yr warranty, 256GB SSD, Linux)

+ there is also the Alienware 17 - 2,770 euros ( i7 6700HQ, 16GB DDR4, 256+1TB, GTX1070 8GB, 3 yr warranty) & Lenovo Y910-17 - 2,730 euros (i7 6820HK, 32GB DDR4, 256+1TB, GTX 1070 8GB, 2 yr warranty). Unfortunately, MSI, Schenker, Aorus etc. are not available here.

Which one would you buy? I know, this is an ASUS ROG forum, but after reading reviews, talking to numerous vendors and visiting shops - I still have the dilemma between Acer and Asus. I realize Alienware and Lenovo have strong arguments, but their price is higher than Acer/Asus, and (apart from Lenovo) configuration is virtually the same.

I am not obsessed with sound, keyboard, plastic components, visual appearance. What I value is cooling, reliability, support.

What say you?

Digimutant
12-15-2016, 01:43 PM
Hello everyone!

As before (I posted a similar question last winter, and have not bought a new laptop since), I would like to know your opinion on a certain topic which pertains to gaming laptops. The situation in Croatia, as far as the gaming laptop market is concerned, is far from good. The models/makes follow a pattern, and the prices are quite high. Nevertheless, there are a few notable names/laptops worth mentioning, maybe even buying.

I was, at first, very much interested in buying 752VY, but since the new GTX10** came out, considering the "old" 980 is needless. I have read many reviews of the following laptops, but have not seen a comprehensive comparison of some models and their respective configurations. Hence...

Asus G752VS-GC118D, in Croatia: 2,251 euros (Intel Core i7 6700HQ <3,5, nVidia GTX1070 8 GB, 16 GB DDR4, 1TB 5.4, 17,3" FHD WV, 4 yr warranty, 256GB SSD, no OS

Acer Acer Predator G9-793-75L3, in Croatia: 2,235 euros (Intel Core i7 6700HQ <3,5. nVidia GTX1070 8 GB. 16 GB DDR4, 1 TB HDD, 17,3" FHD IPS, 2 yr warranty, 256GB SSD, Linux)

+ there is also the Alienware 17 - 2,770 euros ( i7 6700HQ, 16GB DDR4, 256+1TB, GTX1070 8GB, 3 yr warranty) & Lenovo Y910-17 - 2,730 euros (i7 6820HK, 32GB DDR4, 256+1TB, GTX 1070 8GB, 2 yr warranty). Unfortunately, MSI, Schenker, Aorus etc. are not available here.

Which one would you buy? I know, this is an ASUS ROG forum, but after reading reviews, talking to numerous vendors and visiting shops - I still have the dilemma between Acer and Asus. I realize Alienware and Lenovo have strong arguments, but their price is higher than Acer/Asus, and (apart from Lenovo) configuration is virtually the same.

I am not obsessed with sound, keyboard, plastic components, visual appearance. What I value is cooling, reliability, support.

What say you?

Out of all, I look into reviews on Notebookcheck which have to some extent of extensive thorough reviews to make my decision. I narrowed my selections down which happened to be similar to yours but ended up with the Asus G752VT. I'd go for those that remain fairly quiet and cool under load while not being too expensive.

Compare those three you selected (even an equivalent of those laptops will suffice for choice) and see where that gets you, if anything it's the Asus from personal preference. My complaint with them all is the lack of maintenance hatch for the fans.

Armesis
12-15-2016, 06:13 PM
I strongly suggest you do not buy an asus rog laptop. My G752VY has given me endless hardware and software issues, the worst is the constant in game stuttering/freezing famous to rog laptops. So far there is no fix, just look around any forum. In the first 5 months, the screen and keyboard had to be replaced due to failure. Mind you, my laptop has almost never been moved and is treated very well. This is the worst laptop/pc i have ever built/owned since the 90s.

To be balanced, ASUS desktop chipsets are awesome, i always use them in all my builds. Unfortunately their laptops leave much to be desired.

I originally bought the ROG since it was the cheapest compared to MSI or Alienware, and i paid the price. Please do not make the same mistake i did. But whatever brand your future purchase, i wish you the best of luck.

Aldaraad
12-19-2016, 11:38 AM
@Digimutant

Thank you for the insight. Yes, it is hard to decide depending upon the experiences of others; some will praise ASUS, some will bash it. What remains to be seen is whether the folks having issues with their ASUS 'tops are just unlucky, and stumbled upon a bad serie, or it is a common thing amongst the brand.

@Armesis

I am sorry to hear that. Sounds like you are annoyed a LOT, but ... is it all that bad? Then, if ASUS is the "cheapest", what about Acer then? Worth looking into or not? Do you have any experiences with their hardware (laptopwise, ofc)?