PDA

View Full Version : Asus g74 upgrade help

mattgraz
01-04-2012, 04:02 AM
After stumbling upon this forum i have completely re-optimized my asus g74 (best buy version). I just need to finish up installing some drivers and i should be good. But i would like to get someones opinion on what type of ram i should get that would give me the most bang for the buck. Id like to completely replace the current ram with 16gb (4x4) and could use some suggestions on what ram to get and would like to know what the advantage of dual channel memory is. Id also like to get a ssd for a fast boot and an overall quicker laptop and if anyone had any suggestions on that i would be greatful also. Any other tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help

PILGRIM
01-04-2012, 04:48 AM
Welcome, mattgraz. :)

What brand is your current RAM?

A number of us here in the forum use RAM brands like Crucial, Kingston, Corsair, ASint,...
and for the SSD, brands like Intel, Crucial,...

If you're not having any trouble with your current RAM, why don't you just buy the same
brand and upgrade it to 16 GB?

mattgraz
01-04-2012, 04:57 AM
the current ram is samsung which i heard is not too reliable and i also heard that it is a better idea to have all ram be the same model.

PILGRIM
01-04-2012, 05:15 AM
Yes, RAM having the same brand/model is ideal.

No, RAM having different brands (for as long as the specs match), can also be good.
(Mine is 12 GB ASint and 4 GB Kingston.)

Good idea about changing your HDD to SSD as the primary drive. It would make your
computer usage much faster than it was..

P.S. I can't find any post/s in here saying they're having trouble with the Samsung RAM.

fostert
01-04-2012, 05:43 AM
G74 came with samsung RAM (8 GB); was perfectly reliable and tested with no errors. Hammered that stuff too. Bought 2 more identical modules of the samsung to get to 16GB; also tested perfect, worked well with the originals, and was 100% reliable. Gotta say I am impressed with samsung, though I've moved on to corsair modules now to reach 32GB in my G74 (they were the only 8GB modules I could find; if I would have found samsung 8GB modules I would have gotten them!)

PILGRIM
01-04-2012, 05:56 AM
@fostert: Why don't you sell (or just give it as a New Year's present:p) your discarded Samsung modules
to mattgraz if you still have them?

BrodyBoy
01-04-2012, 06:04 AM
the current ram is samsung which i heard is not too reliable and i also heard that it is a better idea to have all ram be the same model.That's actually perfect. Of the various RAM manufacturers Asus uses, that's the easiest one to find. You can just order another Samsung 4Gb module (or however many you need) from Newegg and call it done. There's really no need to waste the perfectly good memory that you already paid for in the G74.

For SSDs, Crucial and Intel both seem to get a lot of positive feedback. There are some other brands that pop up too often in "my SSD has a problem" threads, so I stay with the ones that seem more reliable.

mattgraz
01-04-2012, 12:29 PM
Hey everybody thanks for the help. I'd like to take advantage of 1600 ram and would like to know first off if I could, second off how I would take advantage of it in BIOS and thirdly how it would help gaming

BrodyBoy
01-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Hey everybody thanks for the help. I'd like to take advantage of 1600 ram and would like to know first off if I could, second off how I would take advantage of it in BIOS and thirdly how it would help gaming
When you put in 4 modules, I believe it runs at 1333. The G74 BIOS does not allow you to change that....there are no user options for overclocking, adjusting timings, etc.

WhirledNews
01-04-2012, 07:58 PM
So basically you just install it, make sure the BIOS recognizes it, run memtest86+ to make sure there are no errors and you are done.

mattgraz
01-04-2012, 08:04 PM
Ok seems simple enough. But just to get this straight the g74 will not utilize the 1600 ram it will only go up to 1333 if i use all mem slots. Also does anyone know the best price i can find a good 120gb ssd for. Or possibly more gb depending on the price