PDA

View Full Version : I've Had It :/

AdelaisAer
01-04-2012, 04:44 AM
This laptop is not even a month old and already I want my money back. :/ The keyboard has lag issues, the trackpad has major issues, as everyone knows, and now my LAN port doesn't exist.

The LAN port no longer works. Under Device Manager, the damn thing doesn't even show up; it's like it doesn't even exist anymore. I honestly don't know what to do anymore. It just randomly happened earlier today. I can't even install new drivers for it because it gives me the error "The Realtek Network Controller was not found. If Deep Sleep Mode is enabled, please plug the cable."

The graphic performance is incredible, but it's just not worth it with all these issues and problems. :/ I think I am better off getting a Toshiba Qosmio or something. I've seriously had it up to here with this laptop.

EDIT: And no, it's not to do with power management, because I turned it off the very first day I got the laptop.

BrodyBoy
01-04-2012, 06:14 AM
In the other thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?8754-Asus-G74SX-DH72-ROG-Multiple-Issues&p=58742#post58742) you started about your G74's issues, you said you had until Jan. 9th to return it. Sounds like a good idea.

(Who are you addressing in your edit? No one has even responded or said anything about power management.....)

AdelaisAer
01-04-2012, 06:28 AM
In the other thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?8754-Asus-G74SX-DH72-ROG-Multiple-Issues&p=58742#post58742) you started about your G74's issues, you said you had until Jan. 9th to return it. Sounds like a good idea.

(Who are you addressing in your edit? No one has even responded or said anything about power management.....)

Was just making sure people won't ask me about it since that seemed to be one of the main reasons that stuff like that happened.

BrodyBoy
01-04-2012, 06:33 AM
Was just making sure people won't ask me about it since that seemed to be one of the main reasons that stuff like that happened.
Ah, okay. (It's usually a fair question, though, because Power4Gear can be an intrusive program that causes a lot of seemingly unrelated issues. ;))

Since you have about a week before you have to send it back, I have one more suggestion....that is, IF you have any reservoir of patience left for this thing. I certainly understand if you don't. Would you consider trying a clean Windows installation? When the G74 is functioning well, it's actually a really nice computer. But, IMO, that almost invariably means performing a clean installation and foregoing all the Asus clutter.

AdelaisAer
01-04-2012, 06:57 AM
Ah, okay. (It's usually a fair question, though, because Power4Gear can be an intrusive program that causes a lot of seemingly unrelated issues. ;))

Since you have about a week before you have to send it back, I have one more suggestion....that is, IF you have any reservoir of patience left for this thing. I certainly understand if you don't. Would you consider trying a clean Windows installation? When the G74 is functioning well, it's actually a really nice computer. But, IMO, that almost invariably means performing a clean installation and foregoing all the Asus clutter.

Well, I did try that in the first week, if you can believe it. I had to reinstall all the drivers again, and this time, I went to the forums and installed the new drivers that ROG members suggested in their thread. Made sure not to mess with any of the advanced settings and whatnot. Even upgraded my BIOS and everything else.

Don't get me wrong - I love this laptop in terms of graphic performance. It plays games BEAUTIFULLY, and I really appreciate the fact that you can freely upgrade stuff thanks to that huge chute/door at the bottom of the laptop - something that no other laptop really offers. But with all these issues that myself (and a lot of other people, seemingly) are having, I am not quite sure if it's really worth it, you know? Like the touchpad re-enabling itself randomly, etc.

I could give a clean installation a second go, but if that doesn't do anything, then I'm probably going for the Toshiba Qosmio. Albeit its performance is about half that of this laptop, it will at least suffer from less issues, I suppose. I mean, my old Toshiba Satellite had so much stuff spilled on it, and it dropped so many times, and yet it works fine. This Asus laptop, though, I treated like a God and not even a month passed since I bought it and already it's driving me nuts.

BrodyBoy
01-04-2012, 07:09 AM
Yeah, I can empathize. Laptops now look all rough & tough, but I think those older ones were a lot more stable and reliable. The newer ones have so much garbage on them that the whole installation is inherently compromised and fragile.

If you try a clean install, be careful not to install anything more that the essential drivers. Don't even touch the drivers disk! ;)

AdelaisAer
01-04-2012, 04:09 PM
Well, it would be nice if there were proper bug fixes, because I don't want to have to do clean installs once or twice a month.

chrsplmr
01-04-2012, 04:13 PM
BrodyBoy++

AdelaisAer...Welcome.... Im hop'n this cleans U up and gets U ROG'n..
if not........ship it...best of luck.c.

mertesn
01-05-2012, 12:25 AM
Get your money back ASAP.

Here's why: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5925-G73JH-A2-Problems-(and-RMA-troubles)