PDA

View Full Version : Do you think that's normal for a G771JM to have so many problems?

studyrog
12-21-2016, 02:13 AM
Hi everyone,

First, sorry for my English, French is my first language.

I have bought the G771JM model in August 2015. I have bought the laptop because it is a high-performance one and I need a computer with a lot of power. Its first purpose is not gaming.

But now, I have serious doubts about the quality of my laptop. The warranty is ended and the laptop have again issues. The first time I had problems with it is 2 months after buying it, I remark the painting near the keyboard is going to be damaged, and the red line metal has some holes and looks fragile. But no hardware issues, excepted the webcam who need a very luminous piece to work well (it doesn't work with artificial light, the camera is just black). Few months after, my machine started to have so much problems : the computer shuts down without any reason (CPU has a temperatre of 65 Celsius...), Bluetooth doesn't works, touchpad had issues sometimes, and Microsoft Word cause the laptop to overheat...so I return it to my local shop and they did nothing. So I have kept the laptop until new problems come (it dosn't have taken too much time) and return it again. The second time, they just reinstall Windows, and after it, two of my USB ports stop working, and the other problems are always here.

The third time I return it, the laptop was sent to ASUS for a repair. They replace the motherboard, the webcam and the keyboard cover. I use it few weeks and some problems get back : the computer shuts down for no reason, many blue screens for RAM issues, and the keyboard cover is always damaged, although I take care of my computer.

So now, I want to know if you think it's normal...? I have paid 1600$ CAN for the laptop and got more problems then a 900$ laptop bought before. I'm a little bit pissed off because I have so many problems with a "high quality" laptop.

Most of my friends doesn't recommend ASUS...am I alone to have many problems with my computer?

I sincerely regret my bought. I have heard some good things about ASUS and decided to try it, but for now, it's more a big regret then a big enjoyment.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

studyrog
01-01-2017, 01:26 AM
Finally, it seems the computer have reached its lifespan.

Approximately 18 months...I don't know that ROG computers are so low-quality then they doesn't work as they should for their prices. Never ROG again.

I hope this thread will help some people to do their choice and know what can arrive if they choose to buy a ROG.

Happy new year! Happiness and success! :D

JustinThyme
01-01-2017, 02:24 AM
For what its worth, multiple issues are the exception, not the rule. There are 4 ASUS laptops in my household, 3 of the ROG. No prevalent issues with any of them that I didnt create myself that were all easily remedied.

Sheltem
01-01-2017, 07:27 AM
Aside from the fact that build quality depends on the region, it still remains somewhat a lottery. Of course, it is a very frustrating experience in case you do end up with a somehow faulty product, because from my experience, it takes both time and luck (again!) to get it to a proper working state (or at least 'acceptable' operating state.
I had bought a HP Pavilion with a defective fan, which naturally showed over the first month after purchase. Turned it in, they replaced the fan without any questions asked, worked fine since then.
On the other hand, had another computer that I had to turn in 4 times for warranty, each time they replaced the motherboard, but only the last replace actually worked. While a faulty MB was installed, each time you'd get to the OS splash screen, it would either start the OS or do nothing (back in HDD times); so you would wait a minute or two, reboot and repeat, up to an hour sometimes.

I know it is extra annoying to experience this when buying from a manufacturer that apparently is supposed to use high quality materials and build highly reliable products, but even if you buy from another, you're still participating in the lottery.
In case a multitude of issues arise during warranty period, I would advise not to take the warranty repair -> resurface -> repeat until warranty period expires route, but opt for a refund immediately. Surely, by that time you may only be eligible for a partial one, but it is definitely better than sitting with an obviously poorly built product. Unless you reside somewhere where customer rights are restricted. That way, too bad for you.

Armesis
01-01-2017, 09:45 AM
I have to agree. Ive owned the G752VY for about 6 months now and it has given me endless hardware and software problems. Within 4 months the screen and keyboard had to be changed due to hardware failure. The popping sounds are still there, and the constant in game stuttering (for most games on the HDD) is still prevalent. Very annoying. I will definitely not buy another ROG laptop in the future, however to keep things balanced, i will say that ASUS desktop pc chipsets are awesome, ive been using them since the 90s in all my builds and they are tough and reliable.

Zsoltiy
10-26-2018, 10:08 AM
Mine is almost 4 years old and still works fine.