PDA

View Full Version : SSD upgrade G74

JanThomas
01-04-2012, 08:58 AM
Hi,

I have tried to search for the answer but could not find it, and im a noob at computers. I have heard that a ssd disk is usefull in these machines. But what will fit? SATA2, SATA, SATA 6gb. Will they all fit and function, or is it just some that will fit?

PILGRIM
01-04-2012, 05:44 PM
Hi, JanTHomas.

Yes, I would say using an SSD (i.e. Crucial M4 128 GB SATA 3 SSD) as my primary drive made my laptop faster.

As far as I know, the SSD size that's fit for a laptop is 2.5". It's in the capacity that they differ
(e.g. 64, 128, 256, 512 GB).

As for "SATA" query, here's a link: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/278221-32-sata-sata-whats-difference

BrodyBoy
01-04-2012, 08:04 PM
Hi,

I have tried to search for the answer but could not find it, and im a noob at computers. I have heard that a ssd disk is usefull in these machines. But what will fit? SATA2, SATA, SATA 6gb. Will they all fit and function, or is it just some that will fit?
As PILGRIM said, the form factor is 2.5", so any of those will physically fit in the machine. To use one as an OS drive, I'd suggest nothing smaller than 60Gb, but I think something in the 120Gb range is preferable.

Finally, the G74 can use both SATA 2 and SATA 3 (SATA 3 is the same as "SATA 6Gb"). SATA 3 is a newer, faster protocol, so it makes sense to get one of those since your computer can use it. But you probably wouldn't notice much difference, if any, between a SATA 2 and SATA 3 SSD, so if price is a big factor, a 2.5" SATA 2 SSD would work just fine.