PDA

View Full Version : possible doa

velase85
01-04-2012, 04:30 PM
just bought the G73SW laptop for my brother, i got it last night and when i went to turn it on this morning it didn't work.

it was packed in a huge box, but all the air-bags were on top of it, nothing cushning underneath.

when i hit the power button, the keboard lights up for a moment and goes out, and the front indicators show hd activity, and a lightbulb.

I tried external monitors and got nothing, and i tried reseating the HD and the 1 accesible stick of ram.
the only thing i can think of is that one of the 2 factory sticks installed in the back are bad, or it got slammed around during shipping.

any ideas before I return it?

fuzon1337
01-04-2012, 06:15 PM
Have you tried to take out the battery and only use the power connector in ?
Or take out the battery and hold the power button down for a while to let all the electrisity to go out (not sure for how long to hold down, between 10-60 sec I think)

It sounds like a DOA since you cant access to get any picture on either on notebook or external.

I hope you get this fixed! :-)

velase85
01-04-2012, 06:43 PM
i tried using only power, i dint try to hold down the powerbutton, but i did hit it a few times, so ill try that next

fuzon1337
01-04-2012, 07:07 PM
I've also read somewhere in this forum that someone had discovered a issue with the magnetic field down with the touchpad that indicates when the notebook is closed or open (also turn on/off the screen in other words) try to have a magnet on the arm rest too see if that helps so the indicator (or how to explain it) thinks it's open (as it should do) and not closed.

dstrakele
01-04-2012, 07:11 PM
Reseating HDD(s) and memory has been successfully suggested here a few times. I see you've already tried that.

Since you just purchased the laptop, I would contact the retailer and see if they will exchange it for a new unit. If that is not possible, I would ask for a refund. I would not accept the retailer's suggestion (if they offer it) to RMA the laptop (send it to ASUS for warranty repair), since that would then make it your problem. Let ASUS deal with it.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5396-Magnetic-sensor-switch-issue-on-Asus-G53SW-XN1-when-closing-the-lid discusses the magnetic switch issue. If that is what is preventing your laptop from booting, you DEFINITELY want to exchange it or get a refund.

velase85
01-04-2012, 08:25 PM
i got it fixed, the one fatory installed ramslot (#2 i belive) was bad, now it boots just fine.

dstrakele
01-04-2012, 08:29 PM
Good troubleshooting, @velase85! Glad to hear you resolved the issue.