PDA

View Full Version : ASUS auto tune never fails?

wishbone
12-28-2016, 12:36 AM
ASUS auto TPU function never fails. I've watched it go passed 100% (100x90 or more). The temp appears to be climbing slowly, so it looks like it's doing something and the values in the bios are as outrageous as the numbers shown in the tool. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Is there some sort of safety switch on my setup that is causing the tuning software to continue but still limiting what it can do? (CPU voltage jumper or xmp switch?)

ASUS Deluxe II x99
Intel I7-6850k
ASUS gtx 1080 A8G
Corsair Dominator 2666 MHz 128G kit
- yes I know this is ridiculous, I have some plans for the ram.
- If I do nothing but enable XMP for the on chip profile, the system will not boot, but I expected some issues pushing the edge like this.
- boots fine in default configuration

I'm aware that I should probably be doing most of this manually, but I was hoping someone might shed some light on why the auto tuner is failing so miserably?

wishbone
12-28-2016, 02:08 AM
Apparently I wasn't using the latest version, that's just referred to as "DIPS" on the download page for my MB.

Looks like I'm getting a stable 4.5 which is about where I should be with my setup.

I'm still confused why XMP settings aren't working, but perhaps 128G at 2666 is too much without increasing additional CPU settings? The ASUS auto enabled XMP but only runs it at 2400? I'm not sure why it does this? I'm pretty new to OC, which I'm sure is apparent already.

Just answering some of my own questions for those that may see this same issue in the future.

Michael-i7
12-28-2016, 02:56 PM
Don't you love how there are 40 views and nobody bothers to help? This forum is worse than Tom's Hardware. Anyway man I personally didn't have any problem with XMP on 32gb. It failed 2 or 3 times then booted right up after that. Now I don't even use XMP I have my 32gb of 3200Mhz ram manually overclocked to 3333Mhz with 1.355v. Some use the term "Memory Training" What I would do is knock it down to a stick or two. Make sure you have them in the right slots. Try and get it to boot like that and run it a few minutes restart it a couple times and slowly add in 1 or 2 more sticks at a time or take them out and swap them and try getting them all to boot with xmp in smaller arrays. Then try again with them all once you get them to boot seperately. Or try it manually and with that much ram don't be afraid to give it another five thousandths of a volt man. 1.355v will not hurt it and may be what its going to take. Assuming the sticks are rated at 1.35v like mine are. But either way .005 maybe even .010 won't hurt it. .005 definitely won't.

Michael-i7
12-28-2016, 03:17 PM
And I personally would not bother with anything else ASUS with your setup as in software and AUTO TUNE seriously * * *tpu is a joke * their ai suite is a joke * their one touch overclock is a joke * * *manually overclock * manually change every setting you are going to/need to change * * * xmp is fine * if you can get it to work that is * *but I stopped using it altogether and my system is rock solid besides the ridiculous heat of this Deluxe z170 that I'm going to rma today and get a new one. * Asus software and auto tune always fails * *always * its a joke *it sucks and 99 percent of all enthusiasts * true enthusiasts will tell you don't *bother with "asus" about it but their hardware. Hands down they make killer stuff hardware wise but anything past that is useless * their "pre" settings and software are crap * *even their gpu tweak nobody uses * * afterburner and precision x are the only 2 worth anything.

Menthol
12-28-2016, 03:36 PM
The auto tune features never seem to overclock memory very well and never at XMP speeds

4.5 GHZ on BW-E is quite high really, not very many chips will do this, according to Silicon Lottery only the top 20% of chips reach 4.5 and at over 1.4 volts, reaching XMP with 128GB of RAM and a high overclock is going to take some work, read Chino's guide here http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?84756-128GB-DDR4-Memory-Setup-For-Rampage-V-Extreme

Michael-17,
This is a member based site, issues and responses are all members either looking for answers or trying to help other members based on their experiences, if everything is a joke or crap to you maybe you should not be responding to someone looking for help

Michael-i7
12-28-2016, 04:30 PM
I said Asus's Software is a Joke, that is me sharing an experience that I think many will agree on. I am trying to help the man so I don't really get what you are talking about. If you don't like something I say that's fine but if you didn't notice out of the first 50 ppl to read this thread I was the first person trying to help. So telling me maybe I shouldn't respond to someone looking for help is out of line. I'm a grown adult Menthol and the biggest part of my day every day is trying to help people. I'm a Drug and Alcohol Counselor. I didn't come here disrespecting you so why don't you try and do the same ya? Lets not steal this Man's thread. I made a comment about severely irritating it is to me to see 50+ reads and zero responses. I don't consider that too "Helpful" have a nice day Sir.

wishbone
12-28-2016, 04:50 PM
First off thank you for responding! I certainly understand that a lot of the same questions get asked and didn't expect an immediate response.

I definitely need to play with the memory some more. This corsair dominator is VERY expensive and to not have it's XMP profile work out of the box was pretty disheartening. I haven't tried playing with the voltage yet, but the spec actually says at 1.2? I will try some of your suggestions on partial ram to see what I can make it do. I very much appreciate the responses. I've seen several people mention that it will work after several tries but that bothers me for $800-$1000 ram kit. I tried this ALL before I even attempted an OC on the CPU, so it was unreleated to my 4.5 "success"
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/dominator-platinum-series-128gb-8-x-16gb-ddr4-dram-2666mhz-c15-memory-kit-cmd128gx4m8a2666c15

Most hardware vendors make crap software, it seems to be the rule in the industry. If hardware is your focus, your software will be built as cheap as possible and I've certainly seen that for over two decades now. However, I will say that when it worked the TPU feature was kinda neat. I've been running stable at 4.5 for a few days now under several stress tests. Maybe I got lucky? If it "shouldn't run" at that, what do you recommend I test or check to make sure things are running as they should?

Using the AIDA64 system stability test I see CPU temps of ~55C after 5 min of running with full fans (quiet fan profile more around 60C). This is with everything selected but stress local disks. Core #1 temps tend to be 10C hotter on average it seems and like to really jump around. Not sure if that's normal but I've seen others report it.

CPUID reports 4500 MHz at 45x multi, 100 QPI clock and memory at 2400 (BAH!)

Thanks again for the responses

wishbone
12-28-2016, 06:20 PM
Strange, now the XMP setting works fine. I did exactly what you recommended. Did two sticks, reboot, 4 sticks, reboot, 6, etc up to 8. Now it seems to be running fine at 2666. 6850 is running at 4 (I reset the ASUS defaults to try the XMP trick which apparently still OCs it). Everything seems cool and stable so far. Probably run with this for awhile. I don't think I need 4.5Ghz but it was neat to see it run like that. Next, I want to play with OCing the GPU. I've got an A8G which is "factory" OC'd so I'm not sure how far I can go with it. Default cooling on it too.

Again, thanks for the responses.

Michael-i7
12-28-2016, 08:34 PM
Well good man. Ya that's what I have is Dominator Platinum. It says 1.35v on my sticks but it's 3200Mhz. And it took about 2-4 tries and worked great after that. Anyway ya man I suggested that to a friend running 64gb in his 6850k and it worked for him so I thought I'd tell you the same thing. That is a mighty set up you have there and a VERY expensive one at that so I totally feel your frustration. I just have the 6700k in a z170 Deluxe. I catch crap sometimes too for spending 240$ on 32gb for a quad core Gaming rig but hey, I love the Aesthetics of the Deluxe motherboard and it is flowing with gorgeously laid out silver and I wanted four sticks of Platinum in it. And did not want a 4x4 kit so I went with the 4x8. Anyway Happy Holidays and congratulations on your new PC man. It's pathetic but it's probably in the top 2 or 3 reasons I wake up everyday it's become a huge passion of mine. If you have any more questions do not hesitate to ask. If I think I know a solution I will help if not I will still try and help.

Korth
12-28-2016, 08:45 PM
Don't you love how there are 40 views and nobody bothers to help? This forum is worse than Tom's Hardware.
A few of those 40 views were from me, trying and retrying to post my "help". Sorry, I stopped bothering after half a dozen repeated timeouts/errors from the forum webserver. A common occurrence here.

Michael-i7
12-28-2016, 09:00 PM
Sorry I kinda skipped over the previous post cuz I was glad to see you got xmp to work. I have a profile with xmp saved and one with out. Lately I've been using the one without because I've managed a Ram oc to 3333Mhz without it. But you can oc your cpu pretty much the same either way. Some will say worry about getting your Cpu stable then worry about xmp. I say if you already have xmp working keep it on as you oc your cpu. I did and it worked fine. Just manually adjust the Multiplier and voltage. I have 4.5Ghz with 1.305v with load line set at 7 so it bumps to 1.312-1.328 under load with aida64 and p95. I run p95 at least 2-3 hours after I run Aida64 for 5-6 hours then I throw some Realbench at it for at least another 2. With your Cache ratio I can't give you an exact setting as I have no experience with x99. But with my 6700k I have core at 45 and cache at 45 and it works great. Stock it's at 41 so it's right in between the 4.0 base and 4.2 turbo so I have it coincide with my core ratio. Also on z170 the core/cache voltage is the same setting. It may be 2 different settings for you. It is for my friends Rampage V Ed. 10 Hopefully you have some screenshots or you were paying attention to your voltage while you were using tpu so you have a general base voltage to work with while you manually overclock. My friend has 1.37v for 4.4 on a 6850k. I would definitely aim to keep it under 1.4v. I believe Intel's max safe on those Broadwell E is 1.5, if that is correct I'd stay under 1.4v. I could push harder but I like having mine well under 1.35v for a 4.5Ghz oc. I'm cool with that. I ran it at 4.6 for a couple weeks at 1.360-1.376v and it's very very minimal performance gains in every benchmark I ran so I leave it at 4.5. Bclk 100 with that much Ram as Menthol stated earlier will be tricky to find a stable high oc. Try starting at 4Ghz and work your way up instead of starting high and working your way down. Temps under 80c while testing. Not sure the Gpu you have, I have a Gtx 1080 Ftw Hybrid. I started with +101 clock and +505 memory while putting my power or voltage at 120% That gives me a 2126Mhz oc and eventually down clocks to 2001-2112Mhz. So I have another at +116 and +505 gives me 2139Mhz downclocks aftera while to 2126Mhz and stays there with a very max temp of 50c but usually just under that for most oif the time.

wishbone
12-28-2016, 09:06 PM
So far so good. Just ran for an hour on aida64 stress test. Strange my temps don't seem that much lower than the 4.5 setup so I might try that again if it's stable with the memory at 2666. Eventually I'll get into the manual mode stuff, I just need to do a LOT More reading on what all those values mean.

The machine is super overkill ridiculous, but I'm demanding on most of my machines and only build one every 5-6 years so I tend to go a bit overboard when I do. Of course, even this system could have been more expensive. I decided against the 10 core processor and titan pascal due to the huge jump in cost from the options below them. For some reason RAM is something I've never regretted getting more of and I'm with you, the look in the case just makes me smile. I just picked up the lighting kit for mine and will be installing that here shortly.

Michael-i7
12-28-2016, 09:45 PM
Man I spaced that stuff I better look real fast I may be able to get a deal for the holidays. I've been wanting to do the same. I have a white/blue/silver theme going. I'll post some pics here in a min man. You should do the same. I could ramble on about tech stuff all day and look at pictures all day and be happier than heck. But definitely I wanna see it after you do that, that would be cool.

Menthol
12-28-2016, 11:47 PM
Michael-17, sorry if I offended you
I for one don't know what it takes to engineer and build the software but I can imagine it takes many people. many hours to engineer, design, build and test. I assume they don't consider all there hard work a joke, they are probably proud of there work

wishbone, glad to here you are making progress

wishbone
12-29-2016, 01:38 AM
I'll definitely post pictures once I get everything setup. I'm loving this so far.

Anyone experimented with the external temp sensors? I put one on the back of my gpu (just stuffed under the backplate). I'm wondering how heat tolerant these are? 60C seems like it could melt the plastic? AIDA reports the sensor occasionally going offline or maxing. IT's weird. None of the other embedded sensors do that.

I'm also doing the white/silver theme. I'm VERY happy with the fan setup I chose, but not so crazy about the AIO. I got the H100I v2. The cooler performs fine but the water pump sounds horrible. The rest of the system is so quiet and I have 7 fans in the case! three black 120 GTs, three white NBs, and one 140 NB.

I also need to fix my GPU sag. I'm super surprised no one sells something for this but I have some neat ideas that should work but will take some fab.

I just saw your longer OC post Michael, I need to read over that a few times as I'm new to OC, but certainly not to electronics. Thanks for the detailed responses.

Michael-i7
12-29-2016, 07:49 AM
They make all sorts of Gpu Braces. Some are not so aesthetically pleasing and some are better than others. Sometimes a zip tie the color of your build could look ok or if it's not too heavy just pulling the pcie cables tighter and zipping them in the back will do the trick if it's not heavy enough to strain where they connect to the pcb. That's what I do with my Hybrid as it is literally the lightest gpu I've ever owned in my life without a huge heatsink weighing it down.

I have the same cooler, I traded an gtx 560ti straight across for it new in the box and it perfoms adequate enough. My next upgrade will be to a full custom loop. I can't wait, they look soooo much cooler. I have 7 fans as well. Corsair ML Pro's with the blue corners. White on top. The blue matches the little bit of blue on the deluxe as well as the blue pci screws I put in there too. White cable mod cables I got from a friend. He did not have a 24 pin so I used a blue extension so it's an alright all around theme. Just got a second pci cable for the gpu and some combs so I can tidy up the cable management just havent had the time to do it yet.

Menthol, I was probably out of line this morning. I don't ask a lot of questions these days because usually by the time someone finally answers I've figured it out. I said things I may not have needed to but at the same time I've grown cold over the months having seeing 50+ reads without a response from a "community" forum. If someone doesn't have an answer I guess they don't have an answer and those fifty people could reading looking for an answer them selves to a question they also have. But I seriously try and help the best I can and it's probably because it makes me feel good when I am right idk but I will always take the time if I am reading a thread and can provide, to provide. And that's the part that got me. Good day to you.

Menthol
12-29-2016, 01:06 PM
Michael-17,
Probably my fault, sorry
Very nice build you have, I recently installed a Hybrid kit on an EVGA 1080 FTW, works very well, I have gone all AIO on my daily use PC and using custom cooling for benching only
AIO is just to easy to install and don't need extreme OC on a daily rig these days, Corsair sells kits for their AIO now to color coordinate your system red or blue
http://www.corsair.com/en/hydro-series-h180i-gt-h80i-v2-color-kit

GPU support brackets can be found on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/MasterAccessory-Universal-VGA-Holder-MCA-0005-KUH00/dp/B01IQCBKOI/ref=pd_lpo_201_tr_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0F0A02AXXWA210JJT579
https://www.amazon.com/Graphics-Support-Holder-custom-Gaming/dp/B01DQK7DDW

wishbone
12-29-2016, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the links Menthol! That's great, not sure why it didn't come up in my initial searches, wrong term I guess. The corsair replacement pieces are cool too! That gives me an idea, since they don't sell white I guess I'll be painting mine. =)

I was considering the ML fans initially but there just wasn't enough data out on them yet to convince me of them. They do look absolutely awesome, especially the LED ones, but the NBs have a very cool white fan that I just fell for. So far I'm extremely happy with my darkside GTs and my HNB eloops. If the water pump is the loudest thing in my system, I feel like I'm doing something right.

I agree, custom loop looks a LOT cooler but I'm not sure I really want to deal with that at the moment. I build an entirely clear system back about 15 years ago with a cooling tower as an "ultra quiet" system at the time, but I was never happy with it and it was way more of a pain than it was worth. Still, it was fun to put together, it might be time for me to try something like that again.

I really like the push/pull setups, like you've done, as well. Are you controlling all 4 fans with link or MB? I'm doing all my stuff on the MB so it can all be controlled by the ASUS software and I've read HORRIBLE things about link.

I need a hybrid in my life, I'm a little disappointed that I didn't go that route, but I was trying to avoid additional complexity. So far the cooling on this factory OC'd card is great though. I have to look at it to even tell which fan is spinning and the built in heat management seems to work extremely well. Even at 100% stress test load the fans are only spinning at like 47% and I can't hear them at all.

I'll get pictures up after my cablemod cables get here. =)

Michael-i7
12-30-2016, 12:31 AM
TBH I am about to totally rid of the Link. I started off using it yes. I don't use the Asus software but I started off using that to control my other fans. I have 2 hooked up thru the link the rest I use speedfan to control. And I still have one or two more open pwm headers on my board and whenever I get around to ripping this thing apart to run the pcie cable and do my regular 4-6 week dusting I am going to have all the fans on the board and control them with speedfan and do away with the Link. Perhaps. The other reason I have the Link is to control the LED on the pump so I habent made my mind up about that, I will probably just keep it around until I build my own loop. It is something I really want to do, I think it'll be fun, this whole PC thing is a hobbie of mine and I don't think it will ever actually be "done."

I totally spaced posting links for the brace so I'm glad Menthol did for you. There are a couple clear ones on amazon as well. I'm sure there are several to stumble upon actually I've just really never felt the need to. My last pc was only partial window so I could use a tiny zip tie at the end of the gpu and have it not be seen. This one is so light that just a little tension on the pcie cable does it.

johnrr654
01-04-2017, 02:02 AM
Strangely, I have had the opposite experience.....

Once I got 4 certified to run together RAM sticks (instead of the two sets of two each....even though they had the same part number).....all my problems went away and the Asus Auto tuning in Bios worked extremely well

I did use the latest version of AISuite and it also had an update to the DIP5 portion that needed to be downloaded and installed.