PDA

View Full Version : Asus or Alienware ? (help me to choose for a new laptop)

LaptopMonster
01-04-2012, 05:33 PM
I'm thinkin to buy one of these two brands and I need some opinions from real users..please commend honestly..people says alienware overheats and can brake easily and working noisy..it is true or not ? what about Asus G series ??

fuzon1337
01-04-2012, 06:04 PM
Hi

Which notebooks have you been watching on ? (like asus g74 vs ailenware m17)
If you can post a link then we can compare and give our opinion then you can decide which brand you want.

I got the G73SW and I'm loving it. I have only experienced one problem with that notebook and that is defect backlit in KB

With the G74 there is some problems, but short story told, many of those problems get fixed after a clean install of the notebook and a BIOS update :-)

LaptopMonster
01-04-2012, 09:54 PM
Hi

Which notebooks have you been watching on ? (like asus g74 vs ailenware m17)
If you can post a link then we can compare and give our opinion then you can decide which brand you want.

I got the G73SW and I'm loving it. I have only experienced one problem with that notebook and that is defect backlit in KB

With the G74 there is some problems, but short story told, many of those problems get fixed after a clean install of the notebook and a BIOS update :-)

yeah probably it is gonna be g74 or m17..I heard overheats problem for m17x but someones ( who use AW) say no,it has no problem like that..

and I wanna hear about g74 (probably g74sx ) good and bad review

slaytus
01-04-2012, 10:37 PM
Isn't Alienware Dell now? or owned by Dell? lol I hate Dell so monopolized. I'd go ASUS it's all I'll ever buy now can't beat em.

Doan
01-05-2012, 03:09 AM
Throw out a little more information. What is your price range? What will your primary use for the laptop be? (specific programs/games/etc). What do you need/want in a laptop?

fostert
01-05-2012, 03:18 AM
Here are my impressions of my G74:

1) Windows 7 install is very bloated with useless-ware. Copy the e-driver directory in windows to a DVD, download Hirens BootCD and Windows 7 HP, erase drives, reinstall Win7, and finally reinstall only the backed-up drivers you want there. Fixed.

2) BIOS is very skimpy, with no control over anything an overclocker would want. Not that the CPU needs OC'ing (its very fast), but control of memory timings and CPU/DRAM voltages would be nice.

3) Built like a brick s**thouse; solid, absolutely love the keyboard, the hinge is beefy, and the audio is gorgeous. But its heavy...

4) be absolutely sure you are getting the 1920x1080 screen, and not the smaller version (in the BestBuy models)

5) the thing can be downright plugged with mondo amounts of RAM (32GB!). Awesome.

6) don't like the trackpad; battery life is short, and there is no backup BIOS chip in case of a bad flash (which leaves you RMA'ing the notebook).

Just my thoughts, good and bad. Overall impression so far: amazing laptop! Get it, period.

Boosted_R
01-05-2012, 06:25 AM
Owning the G74 since august 2010 works great except for:

- Poor Bios (the great cooling can easily take some overclocking)

- Issues with 1866 ram, when trying to run 4 sticks

- Issues with Display driver crashing ( not isolated, has happen to many on this forum alone)

- have no complaints with touch pad or no numlock button (gamers will disagree)

I would look into alienware and see what issues they have, and go from there.

Overall works great, for me........BTW if you get the G74, get a intel WIFI card to replace the crappy one it came with.

BrodyBoy
01-05-2012, 07:46 AM
3) .....and the audio is gorgeous.

Really? You actually like it? I think you may be the first owner I've seen who thought this model has decent audio, let alone "good" or "gorgeous." Aside from really cheap keyboard and touchpad hardware (unbefitting a TOTL laptop), I think the terrible audio is my biggest complaint. Otherwise, I do like it.

Zekoviz
01-05-2012, 07:56 AM
If laptops price is not problem then i think alienware is good for gaming but why i paid for asus g74sx... its your choise and life is risk. So... buy asus because most of all broblems this laptop can fix off,.

LaptopMonster
01-05-2012, 08:10 AM
Guyss I'm in Netherlands and price can be different at where you live..my financial supports max 1700 euro If I'll get money from insurance for ex laptop otherwise max 1200 euro I can give...

Definetly I wanna play game in High Quality...

probably I can not buy AW if insurance wont give money..

JRd1st
01-05-2012, 12:25 PM
Really? You actually like it? I think you may be the first owner I've seen who thought this model has decent audio, let alone "good" or "gorgeous." Aside from really cheap keyboard and touchpad hardware (unbefitting a TOTL laptop), I think the terrible audio is my biggest complaint. Otherwise, I do like it.
My feelings EXACTLY! Plus the support is abysmal... actually that's the worst part about Asus ownership, IMHO. :(

wanfeilwong
01-05-2012, 04:33 PM
G74sx = great value/design.
After owning it for a few months I've grown to like it more. Trackpad is finicky with multitouch command, but with the right driver it works decently. Speakers honestly aren't the best sounding, but still better than my old Lenovo T61p and much louder. Any other problems I had were all driver related like BSOD and nvidia driver crashing, but after doing a clean install that went away too. I'm pretty sure there is something wrong with the bloatware that's included out of box. All major problems started after I started removing some of their included apps.

Sure we had our times of falling out but overall I do not regret this purchase and the support community here actually brings me closer to this laptop.

WhirledNews
01-05-2012, 06:27 PM
IMO, Alienware is way too expensive for what it is, but they are damn good.
The G74sx is an absolute powerhouse with a price tag that cannot be beat. It is easily upgradeable (disk drives, ram, wireless card) and it has a fantastic screen and It has great cooling.
There are however a few things that might be an issue. First of all, these things are massive, probably one of the largest “laptop” computers out there. I purchased mine as a desktop replacement so it’s not an issue for me but if you plan on lugging it around all of the time the bag selection will be limited and it weighs quite a bit. You WILL want to do a clean install of Windows when you first get it, ASUS puts a lot of bloatware on them and it is known to cause problems, I always do a clean install with new computers but you should be aware of that. The speakers are not that great and it seems like a lot of the sound is projected out the back for some reason, I use headphones a lot so again not that big of an issue for me. The BIOS has BD PROCHOT enabled so it can throttle down while playing games and cause lagging, there is a fix for this though.
Overall I would recommend it because it is well worth the price tag. It’s not the best out there but it really is a great computer and I think doing a clean install of Windows will help you avoid about 85% of the problems people seem to have. Mine is setup how I like it and I am very happy with my purchase but it did take some work.