PDA

View Full Version : G751 HDD max thickness ?

ReDFoX2200
01-07-2017, 05:23 PM
Does any one know the maximum hard disk thickness that I can put in a G751 laptop? I would like to upgrade to a 4TB HDD.
Most of the 4TB 2.5" HDD are between 15 to 17mm. Will that fit?

Clintlgm
01-08-2017, 07:08 PM
No 9.5mm is the thickest that will fit.

If you really need that much storage space, you should probably just get a external USB 3.0 hard disk, USB 3.0 is just as fast as and internal hard drive these days. I love my 3TB WD Passport

Korth
01-08-2017, 07:31 PM
9.5mm HDDs can fit up to two platters and have become a de-facto standard, they will fit in any consumer laptop. 12.5mm HDDs typically fit three platters and have larger capacities, but will not fit in most consumer laptops. Some older enterprise laptops could fit multiple HDDs, each up to 15mm thick. Companies have attempted to standardize 7mm and 5mm HDDs with little success.

These "standard" HDD thickness form factors have transferred to SDDs, even though platter dimensions are entirely unrelated to flash memory densities. The vast majority of today's consumer laptops will mount one or two 2.5" drives up to 9.5mm thick, although fixed PCIe drives (NMVe, M.2, etc) are steadily beginning to replace removable drives.