PDA

View Full Version : Asus G51V overheated, maybe dead?

akidd589
01-05-2012, 01:47 AM
I have an Asus G51V laptop and I believe it is overheating that is causing my problems, but I am not sure.

I can boot the computer and it will sometimes get to the Windows Desktop, other times it will turn off before it even gets there. When I first had this problem I noticed that the fan was not spinning so I have replaced the fan.

After replacing the fan today the problem still continues. The computer won't stay on long enough for me to get any temperature readings. Most of the time it will shut down before it even boots into windows.

The problem originally started when the computer shut off 5 minutes into running League of Legends and it hasn't stayed on since then. After I took the back off to clean the fan I noticed the fan didn't run at all. Now it runs but the problem still exists, it won't stay on.

Thanks for any help.

BrodyBoy
01-05-2012, 02:02 AM
If it just stops, without a BSOD or any kind of warning, that does sound like overheating behavior. If you're comfortable with disassembly, I'd try re-pasting the CPU (and GPU, while you're at it). This supposedly voids your warranty, so if you're still covered, you might want Asus to do it.

PS: I would stop trying to use the computer until you get this resolved.

akidd589
01-05-2012, 02:35 AM
It's definitely not under warranty anymore, its a little over 2 years old. I did have to disassemble it to put the new fan in, so I'm comfortable with doing that again. I have never repasted anything before though. Would you be able to direct me to a how-to on pasting the CPU and GPU? I've never had to buy paste before either.

I suppose it's possible that the paste has gone bad so the heat is not dissipating from the CPU to the heatsink properly, if that's what you are suggesting as a possible cause.

Thank you for your help!

BrodyBoy
01-05-2012, 04:49 AM
I suppose it's possible that the paste has gone bad so the heat is not dissipating from the CPU to the heatsink properly, if that's what you are suggesting as a possible cause.
Yes, that's exactly what I'm suggesting. The thermal compound dries out and hardens over time, until it eventually doesn't conduct heat very well.

This past weekend, I re-pasted the CPU/GPU in my one year old N73 (which wasn't having overheating issues, but I just happened to be taking it apart and figured I might as well re-paste). I was amazed at how dried out it was after only a year!

Since I build and upgrade computers, I keep a lot of this stuff on hand. I can't say definitively whether any one kind is better than the rest, but the kind I have right now is called "Arctic Silver." I buy it from Newegg. Since this stuff is kind of greasy, I also buy little bottles of "thermal compound remover" from Newegg, but you probably don't need that. I'm sure there's some household substitute that works well enough for a one-time clean-up.

You'll need to disassemble to the point of M/B removal, so that you can take the heat sink/pipe assembly off the CPU/GPU. (In laptops, it's usually one cooling apparatus for both.) Clean off all the old grease from both the chips and the heatsinks, spread a thin, even layer of paste on the chips, and reassemble.

You can probably find disassembly instructions for your computer, if needed, and I'll bet there are YouTube videos demonstrating the re-pasting itself.

akidd589
01-05-2012, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'll order some thermal paste and apply it and report back with results once I do so.

Thanks again!