PDA

View Full Version : G752VS Not bootable

Blacklilac
01-10-2017, 06:00 PM
Got a G752VS on Jan 3rd, ran great for two days then on the 5th it randomly blue screened with a drivers_irql_not_equal_or_less. It does not boot anymore, I can hear it turn on but not even the ROG screen comes up. Will just sit there idly until it runs out of battery or I turn it off. Unforunately i'm out in remote work camp so I don't have access to a USB large enough to create a win10 installation drive and also did not know I would need to make a repair drive before it ****s the bed (too use to win7!). Any ideas on the cause (I'm assuming nvidia drivers?) I've been searching but haven't found any similiar issues.

Armesis
01-10-2017, 06:25 PM
It sounds serious. Better RMA when you can, messing with it can cause further damage.

Sorry to hear that, many including myself know first hand how these laptops can be severely unreliable.

JustinThyme
01-10-2017, 08:26 PM
Almost always a crashed Graphic driver, hopefully not the GPU took a dump which is the second on the list.
Let it charge up overnight, then push and hold down the power button Until you see the light go out then come back on, about 30 seconds or so. If that doenst at least get you to the BIOS and ROG logo screen where you can do a repair of the OS then its time for an RMA.

Buggsy
01-10-2017, 09:51 PM
I wouldn't bother with an RMA personally. If you can return and exchange it at the store you bought it from, do that. You bought a new laptop, you deserve a *new* laptop. You shouldn't have to deal with shipping it back and forth like someone that's had theirs for a year. I just bought an HP for my wife, and the screen was defective with a massive amount of light-bleed. They asked if I had talked to support and set up a repair. I said no, it's brand new and I expect to get brand new. Not refurbished or repaired.

I'm happy with my G752VS. In your position I'd push for an exchange.

AsusYoyo
01-16-2017, 07:33 AM
I totally agree. Don't bother RMA if it's new, simply go to your store and replace. Aside from the topic, should I be worried about a quick purple/pink flash right after Asus Logo and before Password Screen? I had issue when I was uninstalling gaming center, which basically uninstalled itself and did a simple restart but got stuck. I had to force shutdown many times, 9/10 it didn't work till that last shutdown, it rebooted. Now I get this weird screen that quick flash after Asus Logo appears. Everything else is fine, ran bench+games. I'm no expert but it does look like something's messed up. Maybe it's small that I shouldn't worry but in the long run? Who knows.....need your opinions!*

Blacklilac
01-23-2017, 11:26 PM
Sorry for not replying! Thought I had subscribed to the thread. I did end up exhanging it for a new one, just received it today so hopefully i'll have better luck this time. Would it be recommended to do a clean win install?

Dreamonic
01-24-2017, 12:14 AM
As JustinThyme points out in many threads, generally, it's not going to benefit you for the hassle it can create (lost programs, drivers in eSupport folder not available online, etc) if you don't know what needs to be backed up.

So instead, simply remove some of the ASUS configured installed programs (minimal bloatware is present) with either Revo Uninstaller or CCleaner and keep the factory partitions intact, or clone everything to another drive for ease of use in the future should you need to reinstall Windows again using Recovery modes.

I'm old school, and I've always done a clean install of Windows over doing the aforementioned above; Personal preferences. To some people, clean installs is just soundness of mind. Other times it can be beneficial to those who don't necessarily keep their OS running in the best state (more than a few months) due to bad choices (untrusted use) of programs/services, where registry cleaning and file tracking would take too long to address.

Clintlgm
01-24-2017, 04:37 AM
I haven't clean installed and don't plan on it. Best to turn off fast start up and fast boot in the bios, in updates select to delay upgrades this won't effect security updates you'll still get them. If you have pro version turn off driver updates if you don't have Pro there is a way to activate gpedit (https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/15421-windows-10-cannot-find-gpedit-msc-2.html)google it. uninstall Asus update tool. Windows 10 will want to keep installing its native hardware driver this can be hazardous to your notebook. change Shut down button to full shut down default is Hybrid Sleep. I have had my VY running for about 6 weeks with not one issue all above has been done.
I have sleep turned off as well with the loading speed of these new 960 pro M.2 there is no need for sleep and the issues that come up using it.

Buggsy
01-24-2017, 05:05 PM
For the last 25 years or so, I almost always started with a clean install on mine and my extended families PCs. Starting with Windows 10, I stopped. It really wasn't that hard to remove the bloatware. And on a machine like this Asus, there is a lot of applications and drivers that you need to get it all working right. I would not recommend it based on how other people's experiences have gone. I made a backup image in case of data corruption on my SSD, but I have no plans to ever clean install Windows 10 on this.

I can honestly say that I've spent less than an hour on any Windows 10 machine (Dell, HP, and Asus) cleaning up bloatware. Considering that Window 10 comes with some bloatware in the clean install, I never saw it as worth it.

Afterthought: I have done clean installs on the machines that I got the free Windows 10 upgrade. Those were older, uncomplicated PCs. I just wouldn't temp fate on this laptop unless you take a good image of it first. With that safety net, I'd feel fine about at least trying a clean install to see if it's worth it.