PDA

View Full Version : G752vy xchi disable?

Lumena
01-22-2017, 01:43 PM
Hey!

Im planning to buy G752vy and i would like to know does it have ability to disable xchi in bios? Would like ti have option to downgrade usb3 to usb2

GotKevlar
01-22-2017, 04:25 PM
The usbs would be backward compatible from 3.0/3.1 to 2.0. But you shouldnt remove the xhci driver and disable the controller in the bios or the usb ports in question will seize to function entirely.

JustinThyme
01-22-2017, 04:49 PM
No need to disable. Every port is backwards compatible. About the only thing that is out of the picture at this point is USB 1.0. You can plug a USB 2.0 device into a USB 3.1 port (so long as its not type C) and it will work perfectly. Some machines have the ability to disable the ports but it does precisely that, disables them and nothing will work in them.

With that being said, why on earth does anyone want to use something that is 10 times slower? At this point I dont own any USB 2.0 drives, dont have that kind of patience. I can still remember when I bout my first USB 3.0 CF card reader to get my image files from a 16GB CF I use for my Canon 1D MKIV camera. Full card used to take upwards of 20 minutes on USB 2.0 and takes 2 minutes on USB 3.0